OtakuBoards

The Cinquain Poem Game

Sabrina

[FONT="Tahoma"]Hi! Let me explain this thread! It?s meant to be a fun game where anyone can post a type a poem in the format I?m about to explain. ^_^ You see, a Cinquain poem is a five lined poem in the following form:

Line 1 - noun
Line 2 - describes noun
Line 3 - states action
Line 4 - expresses a feeling
Line 5 - synonym of line 1

An example would be:

Sea Shells
Sandy Beaches
Buried beneath the sand
How I enjoy exploring
Crustaceans

Now that is straight from a lesson on different types of poetry, I borrowed that from a text book. ^_~ Anyway, the idea is for you to post a poem using the format I?ve just provided. I?ll start!

Mountain tops
Snowy slopes
Ice melting under the sun
The waterfalls so peaceful and calm
Sierras

Alright! Next please! :catgirl:[/FONT]

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Arial]Great idea, [COLOR="DarkRed"]Sabrina[/COLOR]. (This is probably yet another sign that I should dredge up the 55 Fiction thread.)

I did some looking around on Cinquian structure, since my poetic knowledge is absolutely dismal, and the two styles I found are rather dissimilar....and both are rather confusing (to me, at least). So I say hang the code, and hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway.

[CENTER]----------------

Maine coon
Quick-eyed, mercurial
Loud, happy chirruping
"Scratch my nose!"
Shadow[/CENTER][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"]Not good at these kinds of poems. But it's worth a shot.

Pain,
dark and torturous.
Deeply cuts the skin.
Gives me something to kill about.
Suffering.

Water,
blue like the eyes of truth.
Touches the world with peace.
Allows love to line the glass.
Liquid.

Metatron,
a messenger of the holy land.
He guids us all into heaven.
Shines love and grace upon the land.
Serraphim.

Barry the Chopper.
a murderous slayer.
Cuts the innocent to shreds.
Terrorizes our worst fears.
Homicidal maniac.

Hope you don't me making four.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Allamorph;808525][FONT=Arial]Great idea,[COLOR="DarkRed"]Sabrina[/COLOR]. [/FONT][/QUOTE]Thanks! :catgirl:[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial']I did some looking around on Cinquian structure, since my poetic knowledge is absolutely dismal, and the two styles I found are rather dissimilar....and both are rather confusing (to me, at least). So I say hang the code, and hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway.[/FONT][/quote]You are correct there are some very strict rules pertaining to the amount of syllables in each line or even words used. I chose to stick with the simpler format of what should be on each line and leave the other more rigid rules out. I figured the game would be more fun and inclusive by doing that.

I mean the cinquain is a highly structured form of poetry. It requires a fluent and flexible writer. The format commands attention to word choice, word meaning, syllabication, and parts of speech, while at the same time expressing a meaningful message. But that kind of takes the fun out of an informal game in my opinion.

And now that I've rambled... I'll make another one. ^_^

[CENTER]Friends
Diverse symmetry
Going to a movie
Such wonderful times and memories
Roommate[/CENTER]
And yes I was thinking of Indi when I wrote that one. Hehe.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Alright, I'll write another one Sabrina. Since your last one was related to me, now I have to. Though mine will be a different topic. :p
[CENTER]
Roses
Petals and thorns
Blooming in silent grace
Fragrances soft and silky
Floribunda[/CENTER]
Anyway, I like that you did away with the more rigid format Sabrina... That makes it more fun when you don't have to worry about the rules so much. Heh.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I suck at poetry, but something simple without all the complex rules?

[CENTER]Dog
Fluffy fur
Jumping in the air
Happiness knows no bounds
Bichon[/CENTER]
And yes... I had to do one about Aaryanna, hehe. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Great poems everyone. :catgirl: My next one kind of reflects a little of what I'm currently reading since the book is at a point where a battle is being fought.

[CENTER]War
Terrible, Pain
Destruction, Death, Despair
More than life is lost
Soldier[/CENTER][/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]Line 1 - noun
Line 2 - describes noun
Line 3 - states action
Line 4 - expresses a feeling
Line 5 - synonym of line 1[/FONT][/QUOTE]Hmmm... Since I'm not into poetry, I had never heard of this before. Seems simple enough as explained though so I'll give it a try.

[CENTER]Stars
Twinkle, Bright
Shining, Moving, Falling
May my wish come true
Luminary[/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I love all the different things you guys choose to make poems about. From wishes coming true and loved ones returning home. :catgirl:
[CENTER]
Poem
Verse and line
Flowing from a pen
My heart unfolds
Sonnet[/CENTER][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"]I'm just excited to see people in here again. Felt kinda lonely for a while....[COLOR=#EDEDED]after kalon left.[/COLOR]

[CENTER]Jazz
Laid-back; hip
Feelin' the groove
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpZb3XPrXw"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Pick Up the Pieces![/COLOR][/URL]
Soul Music[/CENTER]

[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT="Arial"][CENTER]Jazz
Laid-back; hip
Feelin' the groove
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpZb3XPrXw"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Pick Up the Pieces![/COLOR][/URL]
Soul Music[/CENTER][/FONT][/QUOTE]Nice. And I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. :p
[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Alright, so that pic in the Complaint thread forced me to make this one, heh heh. ^_^; [/SIZE][/QUOTE]I saw that, heh. Picard so wins. Anyway back to why I'm even here.

[CENTER]Fairy
Wings, Silk
Fluttering, Dashing, Casting
A graceful flight of beauty
Sprite[/CENTER]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I saw that, heh. Picard so wins. Anyway back to why I'm even here.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Heh thanks Darren.

I'm really addicted to this thread, this is some fun stuff. Allamorph, better revive 55 Fiction too.

[INDENT]Sky,
Azure blue, oceans wide
Beginning, living, ending
Childlike desire to touch
The Heavens[/SIZE][/INDENT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]These poems are fun since they are so simple and easy for making one about just about anything. Usually I don't like poetry, heh.
[CENTER]Flower
Colors of gold
Greeting the day
They dance to the beat of spring
Daffodils [/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR]