OtakuBoards

Graphic Worm 2008 - Discussion Thread

Boo

[size=1][center][size=8][font=Georgia]Graphic Worm 20[color=red]08[/color][/size]
[size=5]Discussion thread[/size][/font][/center]

Welcome all to the discussion thread of the Graphic Worm 20[color=red]08[/color]! For the original Graphic Worm thread, follow this link over here: [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=58548][b][color=red]GW'08[/color][/b][/url].

So, we've come across plenty of difficulty with not only this year's Graphic Worm, but with any other Graphic Worm as well, so I thought it was well time for a discussion thread to be made. This also to avoid a mess in the original thread. In this thread you can discuss anything related to the Graphic Worm, but of course we focus on the topics on how to improve it.

Right now, I think the best topic to discuss would be: [b]How to keep the worm alive[/b].

By now we have figured out that the [b]claim[/b] system worked for a little while and then pretty much completely died. I think I expected a bit too much from our human members when I entered that system. It had to replace the list system, where people would sign up for a spot on the list and in time it'd be their turn and I'd PM them to [strike]force[/strike] remind them to make their piece.

However, this system was pretty dead too at times and it didn't progress so well when people needed, let's say, a week to do their piece and everyone had to wait for that to happen.

So, any ideas on the matter would be great. Want to invent an entirely new revolutionary system? I'm up for it! We can't really exclude of course that maybe, just maybe, people are just really busy right now so they can't claim, but that's perhaps why we need a system that leaves them no choice!.. Or well, maybe some.

Discuss plenty!

Also, a few days ago we hit the 3 month anniversary mark. Party![/size]

[quote name='Boo][size=1']We can't really exclude of course that maybe, just maybe, people are just really busy right now so they can't claim,....[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Well, yeah; this is about when finals start making themselves known, and any senior is probably mired in college paperwork and SAT/ACT crud.

SO then. Maybe the summer will free people up.

Or maybe they'll go on trips. >_>

[SIZE="1"](I'm a-thinkin'....)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[size=1]Yeah around this time, people are busy with school stuff. I personally think before the claim system we were doing a bit better than when we started to use the claim system. People know they have no time so they don't sign up at all. Before yeah they wouldn't have time but they would still make their piece because they know that we're waiting for them to finish their piece. So they feel a little obligated to finish their piece. I would rather have them do that than them not sign up at all. It seems a little greedy but hey. I liked it. :D [maybe because I have way too much free time].

But I really do hope it starts to get active again once tsting and finals are over. But when people go on month long vacations, that might cause a problem too....[/size]

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]A lot of things for people are going on, as what's been said already.

Many people, such as myself, have huge projects that're in dire need of attention in College life. It's also bad when people claim a spot and work really hard on it, but don't finish because of the fact that life gets in the way. I know that's what happened to me a couple of times (so sorry, really....).

In any case, there's no real way we can solve this unless we have somebody pestering everyone about how much time they have left. Because, in fact, everyone's going to be busy at some point and a lot of people don't finish it in time.

...Like me, a poor college student who hates college work, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I really don't know if it's a good idea...but I've thought about a new claim system...

in my system, people can claim whenever they want..but to claim, they have to copy/paste the worm order. They will have 48 hours to post their art work and after posting... it will be of their responsability to PM the next claimer.

for example:

I claim after hybrid ninja

Worm Order
[...]
37. Boo
38. KimmehWolfwood
Sirius [skipped]
39. Hybrid Ninja
[B][COLOR="Red"]40. Sayrin[/COLOR][/B]

and then, if riku want to claim after me...

I claim after sayrin

Worm Order
[...]
37. Boo
38. KimmehWolfwood
Sirius [skipped]
39. Hybrid Ninja
40. Sayrin
[COLOR="red"][B]41. Riku[/B][/COLOR]

and then, people continu the list...

So now, I've finished my art work, so i'll have to edit my post, and I'll also have to say that I did PM Riku:

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][Sayrin's Post][/COLOR]

I claim after hybrid ninja

Worm Order
[...]
37. Boo
38. KimmehWolfwood
Sirius [skipped]
39. Hybrid Ninja
[B][COLOR="Red"]40. Sayrin[/COLOR][/B]

[B]----EDIT----[/B]

[ img] my artwork [img ]

I Did PM Riku.

If after 48 hours, a claimer didn't post his artwork, OB members will skip that claimer and will PM the next claimer.

I think that if we give 48 hours to poeple to do their artwork, they will claim more often...

[quote name='Sayrin']I think that if we give 48 hours to poeple to do their artwork, they will claim more often...[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]The only problem with that is they can potentially take 1 day and 1 night to work on their art. Lets say on a busy night like Saturday there are 5 different artists who are online and available to make a piece they'll have to wait 2 days before they can and by then they might not have time anymore.

I think the system we have now is working fine, it just doesn't seem that way because people happen to be busy atm. It is picking up, though. :animesigh

As soon as I get home I'm making a piece! And that's the nice thing about our current system... Even if I get home one hour from now and someone already claimed the next spot, they'll be done within 3 hours and I'll still be able to make mine. :whoops:[/COLOR][/FONT]

Yeah...I understand what you mean..but the thing that I don't like with the current system it that people can choose which piece they want to continue... Isn't that more exciting to get yourself involve in something that you don't even know what it is yet? And also, if poeple don't like the piece that they will have to continue, they won't claim right away, but wait for someone else to claim and then post another piece...

I think the current system is fine. It works well. It's just slowed down a little. Hopefully it'll get more active. We still have the rest of the year to finish this up. It's on a good path right now. Compared to last year's, This is working quite well. We'll see how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
[FONT=Arial]Again, I feel a little awkward about posting in here since I still am skill-less in the art department, but since I still lurk around here regardless, I figured "what the hey".
[quote name='8bit;812731][QUOTE=Hybrid Ninja']I'll grab the one after boothten.

;][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]v_v

I thought the whole point of the claim system was to avoid this. I was going to claim the spot after boothten but I waited because his piece wasn't up yet. That was what we all agreed on was it not? :animesigh[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
This is a primary reason I dislike the current system for the GW; there is simply no reliable way to guarantee your turn unless you're constantly jumping on to see if the previous claimer has updated. It also seems to restrict participants who might be otherwise frequent submitters and relegates them to long periods of waiting for the right moment. I checked, and [COLOR="DarkRed"]White[/COLOR] (sorry, man; I just don't think I can say 8bit with a straight face) hasn't had a go in somewhere around twenty-five submissions, a string that has been dominated by [COLOR="DarkRed"]Sayrin[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkRed"]jigglyness[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkRed"]HN[/COLOR], and [COLOR="DarkRed"]Kimmeh[/COLOR]. (Not that I think that's a bad thing, just that no one else can get in....and certainly there have been dry spells when no one has tried or no one has had time, so really I'm just remarking on data.)

Although I know this system is designed to accommodate those who have time [I]now[/I], it also works against them should they get free just after someone else has claimed, and then they're stuck playing the waiting game again, during which time something [I]else[/I] might come up, in accordance with Murphy's Law. :p

That, and my slight neurosis, are probably why I prefer some kind of list. [I]*shot*[/I]

...were I involved, naturally.[/FONT]

[size=1]You [i]are[/i] involved, silly.

Anyway, I was thinking of turning it into [b]claim +1[/b], like what would be the case now. That you can claim as soon as someone starts working on the piece instead of as soon as it's done.

Comments welcome. :p[/size]

[quote name='Boo][size=1]You [i]are[/i'] involved, silly.[/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Ehh? I mean, I don't count logistics, really. That's just talkin', and I prefer what I say to impact [I]me[/I] as well as other people.

[QUOTE][SIZE=1][I]Anyway, I was thinking of turning it into [b]claim +1[/b], like what would be the case now. That you can claim as soon as someone starts working on the piece instead of as soon as it's done.[/I][/size][/QUOTE]
I like that. +1 or +2, so long as the number is relatively low (say, one or two :p) so things don't get jumbled. Makes the length of the List a non-issue, and still lets more than one person work at a time.

-ish. Can't really work unless you have the next trailing edge, of course.

And then that would eliminate the apparent lack of updates?or rather, it would if participants were encouraged to just post their submissions after claiming if possible, instead of editing their post, which doesn't bump. Bumping is good. :animesmil[/FONT]

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]^ Indeed. That way we can get a heads up when a piece is submitted. And now that there's a separate GW discussion thread, we need not worry about the game thread being bumped by notices on the most recent worm mishap.

Great job, everyone![/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"]I also support the +1/+2 idea.
haha I feel kind of bad for dominating the worm. I wait and wait for someone to claim but no one will. So I just jump in and try to keep it active. I really hope it gets more active as soon as the summer starts. I'm excited. :][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]I edited the first post of the Worm to add the [b]claim +1[/b] rules.

And jigglyness, don't feel bad. I for one am just glad that you and some others keep the thing alive with great pieces.[/size]

[quote name='Boo][size=1']And jigglyness, don't feel bad. I for one am just glad that you and some others keep the thing alive with great pieces.[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Seconded. You have no idea how much fun it is to watch this thing. (^_^)

[strike][B]Edit:[/B] You might want to post it at the (current) end as well, as kind of an update thing for posterity. 'Cause not everybody might read the rules, and just skip to the end. (Of course, after a while that wouldn't matter anyway, but I think by that time the general flow would have been established.)[/strike]

Nevermind. :rolleyes:[/FONT]

• 2 months later...
[COLOR=#656446][FONT=Georgia]My piece is finally up!

I thought I'd bump this thread just to let everybody know that the next spot is open. I do hope someone claims it; I've a pretty easy transition set up.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]It was actually Shishou's turn in the Graphic Worm, sorry Lucy. :\ I can see why you went though, because Shishou was actually over the time limit. If either of you wouldn't mind making a new piece, that would be a great way to fix this.[/size]

[color=#656446][FONT="Georgia"]Hmm... I feel sheepish.

So that would mean that I get to make another piece? Alright, I'll have it up in the next 24 hours. [b]I guarantee it![/b][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Cat14']I try claimed a spot on the graphics worm after whoever is next once the Lucy/Shishou is done. I hope thats alright.[/QUOTE]
[size=1]You're on the list. :)

And thanks, Lucy. *confetti*[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]It was actually Shishou's turn in the Graphic Worm, sorry Lucy. :\ I can see why you went though, because Shishou was actually over the time limit. If either of you wouldn't mind making a new piece, that would be a great way to fix this.[/size][/QUOTE]

Ahh, so that was why. . .I hadn't realized my time limit had expired. You see the OtakuBoards were not working for me at all yesterday so I didn't find out that it was my turn until I signed in earlier this afternoon. I wasn't suspecting the other two to drop out so fast so I didn't check it earlier this morning.
Anyhow, I am really sorry if I was the one who caused all the mix up. I apologize. Especially to Lucy.