OtakuBoards

Rejuvenation, what do you do?

Horendithas

[COLOR="Indigo"]So, I?m curious to know. What do you do when you?re mentally worn out and yet not sleepy? You see, with finals approaching, I?ve spend so much time finishing up school work that after about six to eight hours of writing today, I got burned out. Enough that I found myself just staring at the computer screen going blank.

So right now I?m listening to this: [URL="http://www.lunarmusic.net/"][U]Wall of Sound[/U][/URL] and doing very little else. Sometimes I listen to music to relax, other times I watch something or just go outside and rest on the grass. Well when it?s actually warm outside, not during the winter since being cold does not make me relax or feel refreshed.

Those are the main things that I tend to do, music, show, spacing, etc. Usually one of them gets me back on track within a few hours or so; not always though. [/COLOR]

[font=Arial]I guess it depends how much work I've got and how urgent it is.

Assuming I can afford to relax for a night, I'd probably watch a bit of TV while smoking hookah with friends. This generally puts me to sleep, and if it doesn't, I'm certainly not in any shape to work at full capacity.

If I just need a quick break from soul-crushing labor, I'll take a walk, get something to eat/drink, or surf the web for an hour or two. I try to stay away from the internet because a quick visit to OB/Facebook always turns into a multi-hour Wikipedia/Youtube session, a ridiculous waste of time.

But I find laying down to be the most relaxing of all, even if I'm not particularly tired.[/font]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Gotta love the homework aspect of one's brain being killed. XD I swear I seem to do that all the time with school work. So when I'm mentally tired I really enjoy getting out for a walk or a short break away from where I'm living.

My favorite thing to do - that is the most relaxing - is to take a short drive up one of the canyons nearby, especially during warm weather since I love going to a waterfall and sitting there and just listening to the sound of the water.

If I can't do that, then I like soft relaxing music while lying down and just appreciating it. I have to be careful with that one though, since I've fallen asleep doing that. Hehe.[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]College work is the Hitler of my life right now, haha. Everything I do has to be involved with college work/projects, so I often find myself to try relaxing my stressed out brain.

It all depends what's lying around me I guess; I'll read a couple of my mangas for a few hours just to read something. I like to sketch a bit to relieve my stress and come up with picture ideas.

Writing my stories and working on graphics is another way I relieve myself too. Every time I do something creative or artistic, it calms me down in a way like no other.

If I don't feel like staying still or thinking too much, I play a video game or take my dog out for a walk when it's a nice day. It never hurts to get a little exercise every day anyway. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Getting ready for university has reared its ugly head on me, and now my life is becoming a traffic jam, when I do find the time to hang out, I just sit around listening to music or playing the guitar. If the weather's nice I go out for a run, not just a causal jog, but more of those: "holy-crap!-run-for-your-life!"-type-of runs

If everything else doesnt work, I usually sit around and read a book or play the piano.[/SIZE]

When I'm totally worn out mentally, usually anything [I]but[/I] music is what I end up doing. I literally spend so much time on music in some form that sometimes that silence is what works best. When it's my turn to use the car I share with my other brothers... I'll head up one of the canyons to get away from the noise of the city. If I can't do that, then reading or watching something works as well.

If I'm not too mentally tired, then very calming and peaceful music works. Stuff like this [B]Nocturne No. 2 in E-Flat Minor, Op. 9 No.2[/B] by [B]Chopin[/B]. Here's a link: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvxS_bJ0yOU"][U][B]Music[/B][/U][/URL] Serenely beautiful and usually just the thing to help me feel more rejuvenated.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I just about always do something with my dog. Take her on a walk, pull out some chew toy and play with her. I mean I do that kind of stuff anyway... but it's great for when I'm too mentally tired for my usual thing like reading or music, etc.

I'm never too mentally tired for her and she loves the attention. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

I do one of these three things. I force myself to sleep, dance and sing to some of my favorite things, or play video games.

If worse comes to worse, I run like mad all over the neighborhood till I am close to passing out...then sleep.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]My favorite thing to do - that is the most relaxing - is to take a short drive up one of the canyons nearby, especially during warm weather since I love going to a waterfall and sitting there and just listening to the sound of the water. [/FONT][/QUOTE]I do that a lot. I'll even take a book and find a spot to curl up and read for a while. I could do the same at home since we have nearly half an acre for a yard, but... I love the silence one gets when you're up in the mountains and away from all the cars and noise.

If I can't do that, then I fall back on soothing music or watching something that makes me laugh. There's just something addicting about watching a show that is humorous when your mind is shot. I often pull out something like Keeping up Appearances or Are You Being Served. It's like that state of mind makes them even more fun to watch. I'm not sure how that works though. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]If I'm mentally worn out and need to finish an essay or some sort of homework then I'll usually just drink a [color=red]Red Bull[/color]. It energizes me enough to keep me alert and allows me to concentrate on doing whatever I need to do for at least an extra 3 hours.

Another thing I'll do is roll a joint but not actually smoke it. I just let it taunt me and tell myself I can't have it until I've done all my work. I manage to get things done pretty effectively this way. :p If the work I need to get done happens to be something artsy that doesn't involve writing then I smoke beforehand and just work at it straight. I get pretty creative. :animesmil

Lastly sometimes I'll go for a run (or just exercise). You wouldn't think it's energizing but once you come in all sweaty and have a shower you definitely feel rejuvenated even if a little bit sore.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

I take a shower. Either extremely cold, or extremely hot. This really wakes me up both physically and mentally.

Another thing is to drink some coffee. Not too much or you'll crash an feel worse than before. I drink a cup or two and watch an episode of some brainless television show or listen to some music until the caffeine kicks in before getting on with my work.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Green"]I personally think the best thing to do when you're stressed is nothing. Just stop your reading/studying/whatever, and take a breather. Sit down in a comfortable chair and stare off into space. Daydream! Just chill. Stick on some music maybe, or have a cup of tea. I find if I try to read something (for pleasure) after intense study sessions, I always get distracted anyway.I always feel replenished after a mental detox like that.

Either that or give yourself over to the devil drink![/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]The number one thing for any 14 year old boy... [strike]masturbation[/strike] MUSIC! Actually, masturbation yes, but it isn't the number one thing for me. My [B]#1 [/B]relaxer is music. Sometimes, like now, I'll deliberately depress myself so I can write and listen to music and get a deeper feeling. Weird, but it makes me happy ironically.

Masturbation is a stress reliever in a way. But other than that, I come on here and talk, or I just surf the net.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"][strike]Well... the self pleasure thread isn't around anymore so I don't know if this is appropriate, but I love m[/strike]usic, as well. I usually pull out my acoustic guitar, and play classico music, or soft pop songs. These are great for relaxing. Usually, at night, I end up listening to fairly mellow music, or emotional music, aslo, classicla, and piano music help outs very much. My favorites for night time are: Straylight Run, Brand New, Gregory and the Hawk, Coheed and Cambria (some of their songs tend to relax me very much)... I sit in front of my mirror and sing along (well... it's the truth, lol).... other than that. RPGs help me eventually get to a point where I want to sleep. Last night, I played .hack//G.U. for a while, then turned it off, and dozed off. But, I tend to have some troubles at night... because I'll get really inspired to write something on the guitar, and I don't want to wake my parents up...

Also, I dance. [strike]In front of the mirror....[/strike][/COLOR][/SIZE]

The #1 thing for me that has worked throughout the years is balance the mental with the physical. If you get tired of staring at the screen, go for a run. if you can't run, do push ups and sit ups till you can't do anymore. Then by the time you shower up you'll either be ready to crash out or hit the books again.