OtakuBoards

Scariest Video Game you ever played

Lunar

I don't know if you called it a video games, but for me the most scariest game I played are online MMORPG. The part that scare me the most is when I was fighting a monster like 3 or 4 of them and it suddenly became laggy. I was scare when I died :animecry:and after I got scare, I got pissed off and angry:animesmil. So I kinda had a horrible mood swing.:catgirl:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Tahoma"]Dead Space hands down. I've never been scared by a Resident Evil game or a Silent Hill game or whatever, the styles never seemed all that creepy to me maybe with the exception of the occasional popping out of a barricaded window scene. But playing Dead Space at pretty much any point of the day can prove damn creepy, but with no lights on when it is dark out...scary stuff >.>

They have a great formula for setting the mood right from the start by having Issac's body cover the entire left side of the screen (since his vitals and whatnot are located on his back), that way it is harder to have decent peripheral vision and easier to get surprised. Those damn things pop out of everywhere though, even when you don't see a vent nearby...and when [spoiler]the ship crashes into the Ishimura, and the necromorphs start gaining that crack addiction twitch and move at super speeds[/spoiler]...that gets friggen creepy. The ship level designs are absolutely some of the best i've ever seen in a survival horror or any game for that matter. Between the lighting and the corridors, you hardly ever get the feeling like you can rest easy as you're playing.

[/FONT]

• 5 months later...
I have to say that Luigis' mansion scared me some, the creepy dark background similar music left me jumping at small noises(well not really). The only problem I had was when I would forget to save and have to replay areas, knowing a ghost is there and waiting for it to pop out is the worst.

I will also say that i got scared during Zelda Wind Waker, by those weird purple mummy/zombie things that would grab you and steal hearts, I would not be so scared if it were not for the few seconds you watched them walk towards you screaming. That and I got scared during some boss battles before I figured out how to defeat them, or if I had low life and there were no saving points.

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]

[b]Condemned: Criminal Minds[/b]

[b]Dead Space[/b]

[b]Resident Evil 4[/b]

In that order.[b] RE4[/b] mostly because felt like I was having a panic attack most of the time I was playing it. [b]Dead Space[/b] because it is one of the only games to sincerely make me jump or shout out in shock or suprise from the monsters attacking, and for upping the "panic" feeling of [b]RE4[/b]. [b]Condemned[/b] is genuinely scary top to bottom in every way possible.

Anyone saying that Fatal Frame or Half-Life or whatever FPS-style/shooter style horror games probably wouldn't be able to play [b]Condemned[/b]. Oh, you get weapons. But usually you start off with something like "pistol with six shots, piece of pipe you find laying around... board with a nail in it, maybe a crazy person's firearm... maybe."

It's not one of those games where random office buildings and wrecked school buildings have bullets and guns laying around for no reason. The enemies aren't ghosts or zombies, or things that are fantasy/superstition based. The average enemy is a mentally disturbed individuals, drug addicts and depraved indiviuals who've fallen under the influence of some "unknown evil". "Boss battles" are generally against serial killers.

One such battle takes place in on a farm, in a boarded up house which the killer has killed all the occupants. He's chasing you You have next to nothing to defend yourself with.

Pure terror.[/size]

• 5 months later...
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]I am an easily frightened little girl.

Consequently the first game that made me actually leap vertically, two feet into the air from a cross legged position was Resident Evil 1, back when I was 16 and easily spooked.

The zombie that came out of the bathtub was what did it.

[/color][/size][/font]

• 8 months later...
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I was re-reading this topic today and something else came to mind. Does anyone remember [spoiler]that black-and-white simulation in Fallout 3, where you're in that Pleasantville-style town with the psychotic little girl who orders you to do horrible things?[/spoiler]

It would have been more fun if I'd actually done those terrible things, but I took the easy-yet-good way out and just solved the puzzle in the abandoned house to escape the simulation.

In any case, I must admit, that was one of the scariest moments of Fallout 3 for me. And, certainly, Fallout 3 had a few eerie moments. I think the eerieness really mostly comes from the feeling of isolation combined with the fact that once you leave any kind of town, pretty much everything is out to kill you (and there are even some exceptions where towns are not safe, either!)[/font]

[quote name='Raiha' timestamp='1278785176' post='697053']
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]I am an easily frightened little girl.

Consequently the first game that made me actually leap vertically, two feet into the air from a cross legged position was Resident Evil 1, back when I was 16 and easily spooked.

The zombie that came out of the bathtub was what did it.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote][color="#006400"]Hahaha, coincidentally that was also the only game that's ever really scared me. I think it was the first one anyway. Though back then I sucked at video games and wasn't at all desensitized as I am now. So I died. A lot. And it was the freakin' [i]birds[/i] man ... the birds ... [i]so many birds[/i] ... peck ... peck [i]peck[/i] ...

Oh and if you've ever seen or read about the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask cursed game cartridge, that probably would have scared the crap out of me if it was for real, lol.[/color]

[quote name='PiroMunkie' timestamp='1300480068' post='705782'][color="#006400"]Oh and if you've ever seen or read about the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask cursed game cartridge, that probably would have scared the crap out of me if it was for real, lol.[/color]
[/quote]
...What? :sweatdrop: Edited by Magus

[quote name='Magus' timestamp='1300481423' post='705783']
...What? :sweatdrop:
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BenDrowned

Basically a story/alternate reality game concerning a haunted Majora's Mask cartridge. At first, people wondered if it was for real or not, since the author was actually pretty convincing about it, before he admitted it was just a giant story of his. Either way, it's actually rather well-done [complete with video to go with it].[/font][/color]

[quote name='PiroMunkie' timestamp='1300480068' post='705782']
[color="#006400"]Oh and if you've ever seen or read about the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask cursed game cartridge, that probably would have scared the crap out of me if it was for real, lol.[/color]
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]I had read about this for a while now, but I just finally went through and read all of his posts and watched the videos. Wow, he did a pretty good job! And funnily enough, Majora's Mask is such a perfect game for this type of story - it already has a very eerie atmosphere. I'm now not sure if I want to play it again, though. lol

I'm not sure how he could ever have convinced anyone that this was real, even early on - it's so patently absurd and his writing is more than a little cliche. Still, he clearly put in a huge amount of effort, particularly in terms of making the videos themselves. That must have been quite painstaking.

And on this general subject, I always find it a little eerie when a game breaks the fourth wall. It doesn't happen often, but my biggest memory of it is with Metal Gear Solid and Psycho Mantis. That was a truly awesome moment.[/font]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='Midget Ninja' timestamp='1306575438' post='707627']
Amnesia: The Dark Descent.....fricking scary! .~.
[/quote]

Haha, I was just about to mention Amnesia. My friend and I decided to play that game one night in pitch black darkness. I couldn't sleep for the rest of the week.

Those monster things give me the creeps. *shivers*

• 4 months later...
[quote name='RainbowsInside' timestamp='1310282484' post='708324']
Haha, I was just about to mention Amnesia. My friend and I decided to play that game one night in pitch black darkness. I couldn't sleep for the rest of the week.

Those monster things give me the creeps. *shivers*
[/quote]

Is it really scary? I heard it was so scary for most people.

For myself, it would have to be Dead Space. That game freak the crap outta me when I was playing alone, especially when I least expect a creepy monster would pop out of nowhere :<