OtakuBoards

Scariest Video Game you ever played

Lunar

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just rented F.E.A.R.2 yesterday and played it last night before coming into work. It REALLY has some aspects that give you the chills,

The way Alma pops in and out, and is always that sort've shadowy figure is freaky. The way the little creeps grab soldiers and rip them to shreds....oh yes cool and sort've freaky.

For anyone who plays it, make sure you adjust the brightness to the bare minimum if you want the jumpy, what/where's it going to come from feeling.

[color=green][size=1]I can't play video games without laughing uncontrollably when I get shot, smacked, or anything...not even for Guitar Hero or DDR. I laugh or scream as soon as I miss a beat when I'm on a roll. But yeah...I don't handle anything that has remotely to do with "[i]fear[/i]" very well. This includes panic. I get [i]so darn scared[/i] when I get caught or anything--that's why I'm extra careful and it takes me extra long to finish a game. I am easily scared.

I don't play scary games but the most frightening game that I've seen my friend play was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for GameCube. It was really hardcore. Watching her was just...crazy. Watching my brother play MSG is also crazy. I always scream when he gets caught or is close to being caught. I think it's the music. The music plays a huge role in my panic.[/color][/size]

:D

This might sound a little lame. When I use to have Chrono Cross for the PS1, I was 1/3 way through it and I had to fight this ghost/crappy straw hat/super hard boss, I would almost beat him, but then he would pull out this super move. For me, it was just scary, not the move, but the fear of almost winning, but then about to die. It just gets to me. I also get the same felling when I play any racing game!:)

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Ahhh the frustration that comes with EVERY RPG at some place. What is worse is that it's NEVER the final boss that gives you so much trouble.[/quote]So true. I'm reminded of Abyssion in Tales of Symphonia. He's such a pain to beat that by the time you get to the real boss at the end, you're just disappointed that they're so easy to beat in comparison.

I've gotten where I won't do side quests like that the first time through, so they can't spoil that oh sh**! feeling the final boss invokes when they start pulling out the fancier moves.

I ended up being overpowered for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time though. Everyone was going on and on about how hard the final boss was, so I took the time to customize good weapons. Net result, I clobbered the final boss in less than five minutes. Took the fun out of it really.

I thought LoZ: Ocarina of Time was super scary. Those undead things? Scared me to death. I couldn't beat the whole undead dungeon until I was 19 (am 22 now) because it was pretty terrible. If I got stuck in Hyrule field when the sun went down, I would hide in the river next to the castle all night (until I had the Sun's Song) so the skeleton dog things wouldn't get me.

[quote name='red tigress']I thought LoZ: Ocarina of Time was super scary. Those undead things? Scared me to death. I couldn't beat the whole undead dungeon until I was 19 (am 22 now) because it was pretty terrible. If I got stuck in Hyrule field when the sun went down, I would hide in the river next to the castle all night (until I had the Sun's Song) so the skeleton dog things wouldn't get me.[/QUOTE]

oooo *shudder* those things frighten me too. Even the ones from cartoony Wind Waker scare the crap out of me with their eerie screams.

Another game that scared me is Resident Evil. Those games have always bothered me, ever since I saw the opening cinematic to...one of the playstation ones, where the woman goes into the diner and the guy is just crouching there and he turns around and he's a ZOMBIE!!!!!!!

ALSO---Doom for the Super Nintendo, for obvious reasons. That thing gave me nightmares.

The talk about LOZ brought me back to the original, and those dang hands that came out of the walls and sucked out out. Those buggers would pop out all over the dang place at the worse possible moments giving you the "Oh #@%$" factor.....well "Oh darn" factor since I haven't played it since I was in the single digits.

Ah, those giant hands that take you back to the beginning of the dungeon. They never really scared me, but I've had one of those "oh ****" moments.

I gotta go back to Metal Gear Solid 2 though. When playing as Raiden [spoiler]point the gun at Snake[/spoiler].. That had my heart pound for a little bit when I first did that.

The other part.. Playing as Snake, [spoiler]when you're taking pictures of Metal Gear. And all you hear is "Intruder in the back".[/spoiler] I really hate that part because I keep thinking I'm caught or something.

That's really about it, other than hearing about bosses that you hear are hard, and start worrying the moment you reach them and get that shot of adrenaline... (Sephiroth, Ultimecia, etc)

[quote]I thought LoZ: Ocarina of Time was super scary. Those undead things? Scared me to death. I couldn't beat the whole undead dungeon until I was 19 (am 22 now) because it was pretty terrible. If I got stuck in Hyrule field when the sun went down, I would hide in the river next to the castle all night (until I had the Sun's Song) so the skeleton dog things wouldn't get me.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]It's interesting how some people - apparently quite a few - really found that scary. I loved exploring Hyrule Field at night! :catgirl:

I think the scariest game for me is still the original Silent Hill. Silent Hill 2 had some brilliantly scary moments, but SH was such a new experience... I'd never come across anything like that before.

I never played SH4 or beyond that, so I can't comment on those.

Resident Evil has always been somewhat scary (I found the original a bit scary when it came out, again because it was so "new" and unexpected).

But I think RE4 had its scary moments... although those moments were more like heart-pounding cliffhanger moments. It's a different kind of fear when everything is moving fast and you have to keep your wits about you and react so quickly.[/font]

[quote name='James']
[FONT=franklin gothic medium]I think the scariest game for me is still the original Silent Hill. Silent Hill 2 had some brilliantly scary moments, but SH was such a new experience... I'd never come across anything like that before.[/FONT]
[/quote]

I think the Silent Hill series killed itself in that the first SH was something new, sort've...horror done right. What happened though was they used the same atmosphere, and while equally erie, the same monsters over and over again lost its luster.

• 4 weeks later...
It really does depend on what type of "scary" you want to talk about here. In terms of more action scary, Dead Space did a pretty good job, and other games like that (RE4, etc.)

However the psychological scary is what I am really a fan of, as it truly is more of a horror to play. Eternal Darkness had some things that simply crazed my mind out, what with the truly intriguing insanity meter.

But the scariest games I've ever played would definitely be the Chzo Mythos games. They are a series of four point and click adventure games (much like the old Sierra games) made by the infamous Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.

Seriously, if you ever get the chance, download these games. They are free from his site [url]http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/[/url]. The first one is "5 Days a Stranger".

• 2 weeks later...
[B]F.E.A.R 2[/B]

I have only begun to attempt playing the demo and still suffer mild forms of delusional psychosis in my sleep. The visual imagery and constant taunts on your mind are the frontier of true horror rather than an overuse of gore that most games, and hollywood films, seem dependant on to bring out thrills. I mean I'm firing my gun into what I can only describe as a sixfoot underfed Samara clone and IT'S COMING THROUGH THE SCREEN SEVEN DAYS SEVEN DAYS SEVEN DAYS

and then a skeleton popped out.

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][quote name='red tigress']I thought LoZ: Ocarina of Time was super scary. Those undead things? Scared me to death. I couldn't beat the whole undead dungeon until I was 19 (am 22 now) because it was pretty terrible. If I got stuck in Hyrule field when the sun went down, I would hide in the river next to the castle all night (until I had the Sun's Song) so the skeleton dog things wouldn't get me.[/quote]I didn't mind the things in the field. It was the re-dead mummies that I really hated. They drove me nuts in Ocarina of Time. I didn't like those creepy hands in the dungeon [spoiler]under the well either.[/spoiler] Then in Majora's Mask [spoiler]especially when you had to navigate those underground passages and get them things that they wanted... [I]*shudder*[/I][/spoiler]

Then in the Wind Waker... The home on that [spoiler]island that you end up owning and you have to drop down into a room with them there....[/spoiler] Or the huge group of [spoiler]underground levels on the island you start on since many of them had them there... [I]*dies*[/I][/spoiler] I've beaten all of those games, but anytime I replay them, those parts just continue to creep me out. xp[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']The scarriest game I think I've ever played (I'm hoping when I go buy Dead Space today it'll blow this away) would have to be Metal Gear Solid 2. Does anyone remember what happens towards the end with the communicator?

Yeah, if you don't know play it.[/QUOTE]

Lol.

Fission Mailed.

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]I think the scariest game for me is still the original Silent Hill. Silent Hill 2 had some brilliantly scary moments, but SH was such a new experience... I'd never come across anything like that before.
[/font][/QUOTE]

This was my first thought. This game scared the crap out of me when I first played it when I was...11? 10? I mean, let's take a stroll down a street armed with only a pipe, through blinding, lolling fog, with a light that illuminates two INCHES in front of you. An eerie howl rips through the area and your radio starts blaring static. You frantically turn around and look about only to see snow and fog. You keep walking forward and suddenly a [b]CAN ROLLING ON THE GROUND OMG WTF [/b] makes you scream like a little girl at two in the morning. Yay.

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]But I think RE4 had its scary moments... although those moments were more like heart-pounding cliffhanger moments. It's a different kind of fear when everything is moving fast and you have to keep your wits about you and react so quickly.[/font][/QUOTE]

RE4 was more about adrenaline and "Oh ****" moments more than scares. Like the first time I came across a chainsaw wielding villager. I was mopping up the more placid folk and from behind my ****ING HEAD gets mauled. No hit animation. No impact vibration. No warning. I'm in the over-the-shoulder Weaver firing stance and all of a sudden I get "BRRRRRRRGGGGDDDD." Not many games these days truly [i]kill[/i] you, with multiple health packs and regenerating shields and whatnot. This was somewhat refreshing as it was old-school hard without being too obnoxious...but it still annoyed the piss out of me.

To add my own, Fallout 3. Play with a high friend who also did some shrooms and go into the Metro, or worse, the Dunwich Ruins late at night with the lights off. The experience of ghouls flinging themselves at you with just the tiny radiance of your PipBoy for warning and the psychotic hallucinations and a few Glowing Ones while your mesmerized friend shrieks at the top of his lungs is friggin' awesome and disturbing at the same time. Especially when said friend manages to growl just like a ghoul and grabs your shoulders from behind [i]just[/i] when you get ambushed at the basement. -_-

Or wander out of Megaton at the beginning at night and get mauled by a Deathclaw. Or go into the Yao Guai Caverns and have your rifle break on you.

[spoiler]Or have the Mysterious Stranger perk. >: D[/spoiler]

Edit: Oh. Almost forgot. Dino Crisis. Resident Evil with friggin' dinosaurs that are faster and more aggressive and take more bullets to kill than zombies. Especially the Tyrannosaurus Rex that runs through walls and wrecks a goddamn helicopter and you have to play keep-away with it while your buddies fix the elevator. Fun. *shudders*

alright.... maybe yall will call me a pansy for this.

Resident Evil: Outbreak.

The introduction to 'Oscar the Elephant' made me jump... and then there was the freaky plant thing in the abandoned hospital..

Another one that was kind of freaky to me was than snes simpson's game..... dude. that was some seriously ****** up ****. spit balls as weapons, old ladies whose kisses turned you into a frog,fairies that looked like lisa? FARTMAN??????

come on.....

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Aaryanna'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]I didn't mind the things in the field. It was the re-dead mummies that I really hated. They drove me nuts in Ocarina of Time. I didn't like those creepy hands in the dungeon [spoiler]under the well either.[/spoiler]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Desbreko teased me a lot over this.

Besides Ocarina, The Silent Hill series as well as the Fatal Frame series scared me. I remember one time while playing the first game of Fatal Frame, I started screaming, "NO DON'T HURT ME GET AWAY NOOOOOOO EEEP GET AWAY YOU BASTARD OW GET AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"

My entire family ran to my room thinking I was getting kidnapped or something. I scare easy, okay? I just like the adrenaline rush that being scared gives.

The little things in the Fatal Frame series scare me. The hidden pictures and random things getting knocked over or off a shelf scare me more than the ghosts. The ghost sequences remind me of first-person shooters on the hardest difficulty. A can falling off a dresser makes me scream at the top of my lungs, as I previously, and embarrassingly, mentioned.

• 1 month later...
[center][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]For me, games that are meant to be horror, or scary/creepy, never do their job. That's because I like the feeling they give, it's not quite scared, more like lost and alone. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]If a game ever did give me a creepy vibe, it would be like someone already said in this thread, Animal Crossing. How can you be that happy? Well, it is meant for kids. I'm always kind of scared around kids though, because I don't want to accidentally hurt them, or say something I shouldn't in front of them. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Animal Crossing is just crazy, I could see if it was like a side game, like the Chao thing in Sonic Adventure, buy no, it's a stand alone game, which makes it creepy.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][FONT=Book Antiqua]I could describe the feeling as falling for someone who is so pretty, or beautiful on the outside, and seems to be that way on the inside. The whole time though, you're on edge, wondering if you're being deceived. That was probably the best way to describe it.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[LEFT][B][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium](-Boukaju-)[/FONT][/B]
[/LEFT]
[/center]