OtakuBoards

GCN/N64 Controller Comparison

James

[color=indigo]In an effort to keep interest going here, I thought that every now and then it'd be good for me to post some of the latest news relating to GameCube, so that you guys don't have to scour the 'net looking for it.

To start us off, I've included some shots of the final GameCube controller being compared to the Nintendo 64 controller.

As you can see, the GCN controller is actually a lot smaller than the pictures make it look! :)

[IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/hardware/image/controller/finalgcncontroller5x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/hardware/image/controller/finalgcncontroller12x.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://viewer.ign.com/media_page.jsp?width=800&height=600&media=http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/hardware/image/controller/finalgcncontroller14.jpg&media_type=N&object_id=37368&adtag=network%3Dign%26site%3Dcube%26adchannel%3Dcube%26pagetype%3Darticle&ign_section=33&media_name=From+the+back]Here's a link to a bigger picture of a top view of the controller.[/url]

Enjoy. :)[/color]

[color=indigo]Originally I thought it looked weird...but now I really think it looks cool.

Everyone I know who's held it says that it's really comfortable...so it'll be great to try out with actual game software.[/color]

[color=red]Yeah the D-pad does seem hard to get comfotable with but from people who had experience with the controller says its comfotable to play with I guess we'll have to wait and see how comfotably the controller will be.[/color]

• 2 months later...
(In an attempt to cut down on spam - ya, that's it. . - I am recycling an old post to keep my fingers from going crazy and strangling myself. . soo. . if this seems like an old post, guess what!? - You're RIGHT!!)

I LOVED the design of the N64 controller. I picked it up when I first played the system, and it felt very comfortable. For the games that I played, and still play to date, I have to say that the controller was done perfectly. I have never gotten tired from holding it, and it seems to actually get more comfortable the longer it is held. I play a lot of mutli-player games, and have to say that I hardly noticed the controller while pounding the stuffing out of my opponents ^_^

As for the GAMECUBE controller, I also LOVE(D) this one. I mean, again, Nintendo does a really awesome job with modelling the controller based on people's hands, instead of just sticking some buttons on a piece of plastic. Most will say that it follows after the Dual-Shock controller from PS2, but I have to disagree. There are HUGE differences in the two controllers, and if anything, I would say that the PS2 is very annoying to hold. The angle at which the handles meet the main part of the controller cause you to get hand cramps very early into your gaming experience. I have not really had that long of a chance to use the GAMECUBE controller, but have to say I was very impressed. Once again, Nintendo comes out with a controller that you don't even notice is there, unless you look down at it. I found that the buttons were very easy to get ahold of, and with the buttons the size that they are, you don't really find yourself mashing multiple buttons at once.

I think the biggest problem for non-Nintendo fans is that Nintendo continues to follow the fun-colored schemes on their systems and accesories. I don't see why that is SUCH a huge deal to people. I mean, when I first started playing it, it was a grey rectange with two buttons. . And look at where it is now? You couldn't ask for more then what they have given to you. *hats off* to Nintendo. :D

Here goes NA finding some old post again lol.

I haven't actually seen the controller yet which sucks and isn't my fault but one thing I noticed from some pics is that the A button is actually more of a teal color than a green. Also the D-pad kinda looks like the GBA one, wether it is the same size I will have to see...

I got to play last Monday and was I surprised! It's perfect in every single way, except the size, since my hands are big and I have a few problems sometimes. By the way, is it true that there are 2 different controller sizes? I could really use a big one.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Smoky Joe [/i]
[B]I got to play last Monday and was I surprised! It's perfect in every single way, except the size, since my hands are big and I have a few problems sometimes. By the way, is it true that there are 2 different controller sizes? I could really use a big one. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not that I know of. To be honest, there are at least three or four different companies that are coming out with controllers, and I know that at least the Madcatz Cubicon is going to be bigger then the normal Nintendo one. They made the buttons a bit easier to handle, so I don't think slipping off the buttons will be a problem. . . though, I don't really see that with the normal Nintendo controller.

I will be getting all Nintendo controllers, but my hands fit perfectly ^_^

And Cecil - Digging up old posts is the only thing I can do late at night with no one else on posting ^_^

Here is a picture showing the two sizes for ya:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NorykoAngelcry [/i]
[B](In an attempt to cut down on spam - ya, that's it. . - I am recycling an old post to keep my fingers from going crazy and strangling myself. . soo. . if this seems like an old post, guess what!? - You're RIGHT!!)

I LOVED the design of the N64 controller. I picked it up when I first played the system, and it felt very comfortable. For the games that I played, and still play to date, I have to say that the controller was done perfectly. I have never gotten tired from holding it, and it seems to actually get more comfortable the longer it is held. I play a lot of mutli-player games, and have to say that I hardly noticed the controller while pounding the stuffing out of my opponents ^_^

As for the GAMECUBE controller, I also LOVE(D) this one. I mean, again, Nintendo does a really awesome job with modelling the controller based on people's hands, instead of just sticking some buttons on a piece of plastic. Most will say that it follows after the Dual-Shock controller from PS2, but I have to disagree. There are HUGE differences in the two controllers, and if anything, I would say that the PS2 is very annoying to hold. The angle at which the handles meet the main part of the controller cause you to get hand cramps very early into your gaming experience. I have not really had that long of a chance to use the GAMECUBE controller, but have to say I was very impressed. Once again, Nintendo comes out with a controller that you don't even notice is there, unless you look down at it. I found that the buttons were very easy to get ahold of, and with the buttons the size that they are, you don't really find yourself mashing multiple buttons at once.

I think the biggest problem for non-Nintendo fans is that Nintendo continues to follow the fun-colored schemes on their systems and accesories. I don't see why that is SUCH a huge deal to people. I mean, when I first started playing it, it was a grey rectange with two buttons. . And look at where it is now? You couldn't ask for more then what they have given to you. *hats off* to Nintendo. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree(10th line down),I have played the PSX2,and I really dislike the controller,its so annoying,and uncomfortable... As for the GCN controller,I love it! Its very comfortable,I couldn't find all the buttons at first,as I played,but once I get used to were they are,it'll be easy. Nintendo has very good controller modeling. Rock on Nintendo! :love: :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NorykoAngelcry [/i]
[B]

Not that I know of. To be honest, there are at least three or four different companies that are coming out with controllers, and I know that at least the Madcatz Cubicon is going to be bigger then the normal Nintendo one. They made the buttons a bit easier to handle, so I don't think slipping off the buttons will be a problem. . . though, I don't really see that with the normal Nintendo controller.

I will be getting all Nintendo controllers, but my hands fit perfectly ^_^

And Cecil - Digging up old posts is the only thing I can do late at night with no one else on posting ^_^

Here is a picture showing the two sizes for ya: [/B][/QUOTE]

Never mind!:D Now that I got to use it on my sofa, I found the normal controller to be quite comfy...:)

I got to play a demo in Wal-Mart (with the controller down low, and the TV way up high) and I didn't even notice that the controller was at the wrong height for me! That's how good it is!
When I first picked it up, it felt almost like it melted into my hands... it was perfect. The only thing they could improve is... Nothing! It's that good!

btw, did you know that Nintendo actually invented the D-Pad? I just thought that was cool.