OtakuBoards

Favorite Concert/Show experince

ryuk107

• 4 weeks later...
[size=1]It's nearly impossible to choose a best concert, for most that I've gone to have been quite memorable and meaningful experiences.

However, if I were to narrow it down, I'd say that the Bonnaroo Music Festival of '08 was the most astonishing event that I've attended. You're placed on a 600 acre farm in the middle of Tennessee with 300,000 hippies (I've never seen so many white dudes with dreadlocks) and around eight stages (amongst hundreds of booths and various events to partake in).

You camp for four days here. Absolutely incredible.

Out of this festival, probably my favorite performance was by The Raconteurs (Jack White's superior side band to The White Stripes).

Although not my favorite, Pearl Jam was easily the most inspiring and memorable performance of the festival and probably the single concert that has shaped my attitude more than any other.

If you ever have a chance to see Pearl Jam live or attend the Bonnaroo music festival, I highly recommend it.[/size]

[size=1][B]Slipknot[/b] and [B]Marilyn Manson[/b].

So shoot me! But these two had the most intense atmosphere in the world. It was great. [B]Slipknot[/B] was the best for naughtiness; my friend got us tickets and we took up nearly an entire row... when the yellow coats (aka: the security at the MEN Arena) moved off we dived down the last two rows that seperated us from the crowd and split in all directions so we didn't get caught. A few of us got chucked out but I didn't =).

But anyway, [B]Slipknot[/B] was good. Manson was also good.

I was at the front at [B]Marilyn Manson[/B] and at the end he came forward to the front row (followed by about a million bouncers) to touch the crowd's hands. I was so damn lucky because he came right over to us and I touched his tattoo - I turned around to tell someone and I got pushed forward and my hand went straight into his crotch.

Bit sweaty down there but still god-like =p.[/size]

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1] I turned around to tell someone and I got pushed forward and my hand went straight into his crotch.[/size][/QUOTE]

That is pure WTF-ery at its best... So what happened after? Did he jump back, squeak? Any of the usual things observed after kicking a boy in the crotch?:confused:

[FONT=Arial]I performed with [B]Riders In The Sky[/B]. You know, the guys who did the "Woody's Roundup" music for Toy Story 2?

Yeah. Them. And they're awesome guys. Amazing senses of humor, on-stage and off.

I have fond memories of "Rawhide". :animesmil[/FONT]

[size=1]Well, anyone who has witnessed a [b]Muse[/b] performance will certainly have to agree with me that they rock your socks off. Almost literally. Their performance at PinkPop 1,5 year ago was awesome. The lights were great, everyone was packed and bouncing so much that you could not possibly stay on the ground...

But I think my favourite performance would have to be [b]Morcheeba[/b] less than a year ago. For anyone who don't know them, they are kind of a trip hop band, but a lot more accesible/less obscure than most. (For anyone who do know them, good) So it was a really relaxed performance with a lot of emphasis on the music, including sax, organ and guitar solos. The only thing I did not like about this performance was the audience, because those nearest to me were under the influence of what seemed to be everything drug-ish under the sun and could not shut up through the first songs. -.-;

Oh and the Marilyn Manson performance at PinkPop2007 was probably one of the most memorable ones. As soon as he stepped on stage, heaven burst loose and it started storming really badly, lighting striking at the most emphasising moment. And then when he got off stage, the storm stopped. I'm not pulling a funny here.[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]

Oh and the Marilyn Manson performance at PinkPop2007 was probably one of the most memorable ones. As soon as he stepped on stage, heaven burst loose and it started storming really badly, lighting striking at the most emphasising moment. And then when he got off stage, the storm stopped. I'm not pulling a funny here.[/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1]That is, in all his epicness, Manson for ya. =)[/size]

[quote name='Kinetix'][size=1]It's nearly impossible to choose a best concert, for most that I've gone to have been quite memorable and meaningful experiences.

However, if I were to narrow it down, I'd say that the Bonnaroo Music Festival of '08 was the most astonishing event that I've attended. You're placed on a 600 acre farm in the middle of Tennessee with 300,000 hippies (I've never seen so many white dudes with dreadlocks) and around eight stages (amongst hundreds of booths and various events to partake in).

You camp for four days here. Absolutely incredible.
[/size][/QUOTE]

My god do I wish I was you.

I've been to a few concerts in my day. I've seen Rush twice, which was incredible both times, probably the best arena concert I've ever been too. Neil Peart just blows you away with every part of his set, but oh man when he goes into the drum solo you just go crazy. It was amazing.

I've been to the Ottawa Blues Fest a few times. It isn't nearly as lame-duck as it sounds. My favourite experience there was George Thorogood and the Destroyers, who played an amazing show. I saw Bob Dylan on the same day, and he was absolutely the worst I've ever seen, so this just made the GT show that much better; he's what live music is all about.

At the same show, I caught Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, who are the best jam band ever. Sick alt-bluegrass thing featuring the best bassist alive (Vic Wooten) and the Hendrix of the Banjo (Bela himself), just insane. At one point the horn player played two sax's simultaniously, ran them through a wa-wa pedal and made it sound like a guitar solo. Don't bother checking out any of their albums, though; anything not live is not worth it.

[FONT="Garamond"]Here's a second for Radiohead. Fantastic show, came out to Vancouver, it was at an outdoor venue. The music was absolutely top notch, there is nothing bad I could say about them. Sounded just like their albums, but even cooler, when they did some improvising. It started absolutely pouring and myself, my friends, and all the hippies just swayed and hopped around a lot, totally ignoring how cold it was and just enjoying the music.

And to throw a little something different into the musical mix in here, Kanye West was another of my favourite shows. The Glow in the Dark Tour featuring N.E.R.D., Lupe Fiasco, and Rhianna, it was just one energetic performance after another. N.E.R.D were super charismatic, Rihanna did some cool cover songs, Lupe did all the songs I love and Kanye was... well, he was Kanye! He was full of himself, full of ****, and full of dramatic statements. It was great and he didn't stiff us, either. He performed for a really long time. It was nice when he did the song for his Mom and when he would do a chorus for a long time so that the whole audience would join in. A lot of people hate him, but like he said at his concert "if I didn't love me so much, who the **** else would?" Props, KWest, props. On the non music related side, there were some super drunk asian guys behind us who were very fun and we rapped back and forth to each other and of course, there were some ugly photos.

And coming in at third, Billy Talent. Just a very very badass show.[/FONT]

[quote name='Kinetix][size=1']However, if I were to narrow it down, I'd say that the Bonnaroo Music Festival of '08 was the most astonishing event that I've attended.[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Wait. Bonnaroo, as in [I]Bonnaroo[/I]? As in Manchester, TN? As in, I live about twenty minutes from the town when I'm not at college? As in, the gol-durned event blocks off traffic for almost a week?

Holy crap. Either you are located very close to me, or that thing is more popular than I thought it was.

Although with Dave Matthews there in '06 or '07 (can't remember), I shouldn't be surprised, of course.[/FONT]

I think I my best concert moment was WinterJam 08....when Skillet was calling out names from youth groups around the area and they said my name and two of my close friends names and they asked us to walk down the ailse(I hope I spelled that right) with all the other kids names they called out and we sang their song whispers in the Dark in front of like thousands of peoples!!!!

I loved that moment and I hope it happens again!!

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Wait. Bonnaroo, as in [I]Bonnaroo[/I]? As in Manchester, TN? As in, I live about twenty minutes from the town when I'm not at college? As in, the gol-durned event blocks off traffic for almost a week?

Holy crap. Either you are located very close to me, or that thing is more popular than I thought it was.

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Nope, Texas bred, Texas dead. Bonarroo is very popular. It was even plastered all over rollingstone.com for a month.

[quote name='Kinetix']Nope, Texas bred, Texas dead. Bonarroo is very popular. It was even plastered all over rollingstone.com for a month.[/QUOTE]
Most definitely. I've wanted to go for the past couple of years, but haven't had the money/transportation... Though I'm looking to get a group of buddies together and go this year.
(Which, by the way Kinetix, I officially hate you. Which equals I'm just really jealous)

However, seeing that I have to pick of the concerts I've been to, I'll say a mewithoutYou, Thrice, and Brand New concert I went to in Tulsa about a year ago. For one, it was on a school night (and Tulsa's about 1 1/2 hours from where I lived at the time) and my mom still let me go. (Granted that I wake up at 6:00am in time to get back to school the next day.)
Also, even though I wasn't too fond of any of the bands, this was the first time I'd seen mewithoutYou in concert, and they were AMAZING! (Excellent stage presence) And then, when Brand New played my favorite song, the guitarist jumped up onto one of the speakers, and then, onto the rail overhanging the stage. He was hanging upside down, by his legs, playing the guitar... It was pretty spiffy and entertaining if I do say so.
Oh yeah, also: I totally got to elbow a guy in the face because he was trying to push passed me in the crowd. (He did this by grinding his knuckles into my rib cage. I was mad) But the point is, I got away with it and he didn't beat me up afterwards... So that's good.

[quote name='Darren']
Oh yeah, also: I totally got to elbow a guy in the face because he was trying to push passed me in the crowd. (He did this by grinding his knuckles into my rib cage. I was mad) But the point is, I got away with it and he didn't beat me up afterwards... So that's good.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely a plus for rowdy concerts. Sometimes I like to just sit back and enjoy the music, but sometimes it's awesome to just let it all out to the point that you can't feel your body at the end of the night.

Easily the most aggressive concert I've been to was [b]Rage Against the Machine[/b] at the [b]Voodoo Music Experience[/b] in New Orleans. I can't tell you how many people I had to punch just to stay standing. It was pretty intense.

One great thing about the Rage concert was the encore. I've never really seen the point of raising lighters but all 200,000 people in the audience raised their lighter and it looked like a giant flame. This was followed by the chant "**** you I won't do what you tell me!" (From Killing in the Name of, which they subsequently came out and played). It was a pretty intense experience.