OtakuBoards

Rude Kids R Us

Rachmaninoff

I was reading this article:

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30585984/"][U]Today's tykes: Secure kids or rudest in history?[/U][/URL]

And I would have shrugged it off if not for the story at the beginning. I've seen that kind of thing happen, more than once I might add. So naturally it got me thinking about whether or not there is any truth to what it says about parents worrying so much over self esteem that they neglect teaching compassion for others to their kids.

I also found this little bit in the article interesting as well:[quote][FONT="Arial"]It is also worth underlining that rudeness can have more serious behavioral consequences. As a 2005 Yale study demonstrated, preschool students are expelled at a rate more than three times that of children in grades K-12 because of behavioral problems.[/FONT][/quote]Though I would tend to just look at that more as a case of them still being too young at that age to grasp the necessity of behaving.

So what do all of you think? Are today's kids rudest in history? I have seen plenty of cases of such behavior and yet at the same time, I'm not willing to look at all kids in that light. Either way, I can't deny that I do see the kind of behavior their talking about in the article all too often.

The most recent example would be at the grocery store. Some kid [SIZE="1"](he looked to be six or seven)[/SIZE] decided he was going to get candy period and snatched a bag off the shelf by the register as they were leaving.

When the clerk noticed and moved to tell them they needed to pay for it, since they were leaving the store, the kid kicked the clerk and the mother just glared at him before finally taking the candy from her kid to hand over. Then she took her kid and stalked out of the store.

She couldn't be bothered to reprimand her kid for kicking someone who was only doing his job, she didn't apologize either. o_O

[SIZE="1"]It's because parents these days don't freaking teach manners and common courtesy anymore. If I EVER kicked a store clerk [or anyone, for that matter] when I was a kid, I'd be hauled out of the store and spanked to heck and back.

Oh, and that's another thing. Spanking is practically being considered abuse nowadays. Just verbally scolding a kid to make them stop isn't enough, it really isn't. A smack on the bum? That'll get them to shut up. [and yes, I was spanked as a kid. And I'm glad, else I woulda been a horrifying urchin.]

My mother also works at a day-care. She can attest to how horrible kids these days are. It really has to do with how they are raised and how their parents approach punishment, if any.

Which reminds me of a story from back in November. It was election day, and I was going off and voting [for the first time!]. It was unusually warm out, so I decided to wear shorts.

Apparently some little girl I walked by didn't like that, as I heard her mutter "gross! Gross, lady!" as I walked by. Then as I walked past her, she was going "Hey! Helloooooooooooooooooo" as if she was trying to get me to notice her.

Well, it was either the shorts or the makeup. I'm going to assume the shorts. They're not the skinniest in the world, but sheesh.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sangome][SIZE="1"]It's because parents these days don't freaking teach manners and common courtesy anymore. If I EVER kicked a store clerk [or anyone, for that matter] when I was a kid, I'd be hauled out of the store and spanked to heck and back.

Oh, and that's another thing. Spanking is practically being considered abuse nowadays. Just verybally scolding a kid to make them stop isn't enough, it really isn't. A smack on the bum? That'll get them to shut up. [and yes, I was spanked as a kid. And I'm glad, else I woulda been a horrifying urchin.]

My mother also works at a day-care. She can attest to how horrible kids these days are. It really has to do with how they are raised and how their parents approach punishment, if any. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]Yeah, my parents were the same, if I had pulled a stunt like that kid in the store did, I would have gotten in so much trouble. Mine didn't spank, but they were quite strict about applying restrictions based on our behavior. [QUOTE=Sangome][SIZE="1"]Which reminds me of a story from back in November. It was election day, and I was going off and voting [for the first time!]. It was unusually warm out, so I decided to wear shorts.

Apparently some little girl I walked by didn't like that, as I heard her mutter "gross! Gross, lady!" as I walked by. Then as I walked past her, she was going "Hey! Helloooooooooooooooooo" as if she was trying to get me to notice her. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]And that reminds me of a few times when I've had kids tell me I'm a nerd or a loser when I'm walking around carrying my Cello case. I ignore if of course, but it's kind of sad when the parents don't do anything at all when it's obvious they overheard their kid being a twit.

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]It's because parents these days don't freaking teach manners and common courtesy anymore. [b]If I EVER kicked a store clerk [or anyone, for that matter] when I was a kid, I'd be hauled out of the store and spanked to heck and back.[/b]

Oh, and that's another thing. Spanking is practically being considered abuse nowadays. Just verbally scolding a kid to make them stop isn't enough, it really isn't. A smack on the bum? That'll get them to shut up. [and yes, I was spanked as a kid. And I'm glad, else I woulda been a horrifying urchin.][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
That takes me back. While I've never did anything in public that would get me a beating.... But I do know that if I were to had done something like that when I was a child I'd have got beaten brainlessly in the store while people were watching. (You got off easy Sagome :))

Kids got it so easy these days, and I think that's one of the reasons why I don't like them so much, especially with everything being considered child abuse. Some of these chitterlinks needs a good beating. They'd stay out of trouble for sure, unless they just like constant thrashings..

[size=1]Kids are absolutely bratty these days. As per, I get crap off them for no odd reason. In fact today I was asked whether I was a boy or a girl because I had a baggy hoody on and I was just walking to the shop. I just gave the kid, who was no more than six, a weird look and he tried to kick off with me O_o.

Most of the younger kids around here are absolute terrors. I don't care if it's abuse, if a good bit of discipline and a firm spanking gets them to stop harassing strangers, spray painting the grid outside my house, smashing ink bottles near the door and knocking my mother's car windows, then go for it! I'll bloody join in!

It irks me to no end. [i]I hate little children[/i].[/size]

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1]Most of the younger kids around here are absolute terrors. I don't care if it's abuse, if a good bit of discipline and a firm spanking gets them to stop harassing strangers, [b]spray painting the grid outside my house, smashing ink bottles near the door and knocking my mother's car windows[/b], then go for it! I'll bloody join in!

It irks me to no end. [i]I hate little children[/i].[/size][/QUOTE]
I'm sorry, I'd be going to jail (probably get sentenced to life...), especially when the parents don't do anything to but reduce tv priviledges or playtime outside.... If I were you I'd take a hammer and slap one of those kids with it. (Yeah, I got it from Bernie Mac.) If that don't work, kick em in the throat. I have your bail money :)

[size=1]Prey that no one ever leaves me to babysit their child :D[/size]

[color="darkgreen"] All thoughs punks, [sorry Vicky] need to learn some manners. I had some catholic kids, mabey in 3rd or 4th grade, on a bus, flip me off wile I was on a walk with my girl, it was rediculous! Learn some manners![/color]

[quote name='Vicky][size=1]It irks me to no end. [i]I hate little children[/i'].[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Little children are fine until they're taught to be morons.

Which is why all of us people who "hate little children" should probably have some of our own so we can train them properly and get people to stop irrationally hating little kids who are just acting like they think they're supposed to.

Lead by example. (Also a firm hand, but only when necessary. I hate seeing parents stop and whale on their kid in the middle of Wal-Mart for walking down the wrong aisle.)[/FONT]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Seriously now, I agree with Sangome, except that I've had experiances where the parents were just as bad as the kids and really where do kids learn their behaivors in the first place?

I don't tolerate rudeness from my daughter or from anyone else's kids- oddly enough a former co-worker and I were talking about this Sunday. I don't hesitate to go to someone else's kids and say something about how they're acting. Seriously some parents have absolutely no idea how to control their kids. It;s sad really.

Also with spanking. Yes I spank my daughter, with my hand. I have also slapped her hand and put her in time out. If you don't do it to intentionally harm a child it's not abuse. My parents spanked me, hells my mom once smacked me so hard across the face for mouthing off to her I thought my head was going to fall off. Kids today have no idea how lucky they are. They need to stop acting so damn cheeky.

Yeah I'll rattle more later. But now it's time for bed.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote]"They've grown up questioning their parents, and now they're questioning their employers. They don't know how to shut up, which is great, but that's aggravating to the 50-year-old manager who says, 'Do it and do it now,' " says Jordan Kaplan, an associate managerial science professor at Long Island University-Brooklyn in New York, in a USA Today article.[/quote]I found this part of the article to be most interesting. I know when to stop back talking and just do what boss says but I know some of my friends don't. One of my friends was fired numerous times cause he kept back talking the boss instead of just shutting up and doing what needs to be done.

I've noticed with my little sister she has become more rude no matter who its too. She once called me a mother ******* whore on the phone for no reason at all except I told her she didn't need the latest cell phone. :animesigh

My little cousin doesn't have mouth on her like my sister but dear goodness if you tell her no about something the water works start. I mean full out crying and screaming like she was being beaten or something. We we're at the zoo and Canada she just kept crying cause we wouldn't go see one of the animals first. We ended up seeing all the animals she wanted. And none of the ones everyone else wanted to see. I love the excuse everyone kept given "She just a kid" She is five years old. I couldn't believe what happen.

I think the most frustrating for me is not being able to do or say anything back. I can't verbally scold them cause then I'm in the wrong by everyone else standers. Nor can I ask my Mom or someones to scold them either. If I do that then I'm told I don't know what I'm talking about or be dismissed all together. Rudeness has no consequences and allows for the behavior to continue.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I have young siblings that are taught good manners and for the most part they manage. I've taught little girls how to dance. Some of them were extremely polite and bowed to me in lovely Chinese or Indian fashion. These are the kids I want running the world some day. Others were little ******* that I wanted to shoot.

These were the kids who, like in the story Matilda, had parents who thought they were ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. These were the kids who had their parents chew me out if I repeatedly had to ask them to pay bloody attention to me during our CLASS time. So parents: don't have an over exaggerated opinion of your children's intelligence. They are probably average. It is unlikely that they are little gems of brilliance. The more you hype them up, the more likely it is that they'll grow up to be shinning jewels of colossal ignorance.

The best way to deal with a rude child is to ignore [b]it[/b] until [b]it[/b] goes away. This takes the patience of a Buddha, but you can do it. That's also the best way to deal with parents who do not reprimand such a child. You look away because staring is what they expect you to do. That way you don't have to be offended further by the sight of the little snots and the gormless morons raising them. Most children don't tend to bother me because they like me. Little snots are afraid to come near me because I will hiss at them openly. This either creates more drama that I then gleefully ignore or sends them running in another direction screaming. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]I think there is a clear difference between a child who simply doesn't know any better and a child who is simply being disrespectful. And then there's the child who just doesn't care because at the end of the day they get away with it.

Very little children tend not to know any better because they are usually still being taught what they should and should not do. I will give benifit of the doubt to a child who doesn't understand that what they did or said it wrong/rude.

I lend a lot of behavior to "Oh she/he is only however many years olde, but at a certain age any child is accountable for their actions and it's clear that they are just being smart/disrespectful/etc...

A basic truth about children's behavior is that they will not only continue to do something, but take it to the next level an beyond if allowed.

I was never disrespectful to my parents because not only was I taught, but I was never allowed to. If I ever said or did something they did not like, they did the teaching and disciplining right then and there!!!

They didn't wait until I was already 12 or 13 years old and start acting appalled at my 'mouthing off' or 'talking back' or any other disrespectful behavior as some parents make the mistake of doing. In fact at that age it's far too late.

You have to start when the child is young with teaching to be respectful and all this manners stuff.

It also depends on your culture because there are some cultures who generally expect and value respect from children in a different way on another level so that plays a part in things too.

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]If you don't do it to intentionally harm a child it's not abuse. My parents spanked me, hells my mom once smacked me so hard across the face for mouthing off to her I thought my head was going to fall off. Kids today have no idea how lucky they are. They need to stop acting so damn cheeky.
[/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE]

The act of spanking a child IS intentionally harming/hurting them. If you are not wanting to harm/hurt a child than you should not spank them as that is harming them.

I have never gotten to the point of mouthing off to either of my parents because I taught from an early age not to talk back or anything like that because if I had my head would have fallen off. But you see it never got to that![/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Wait...so every time you were GOING to be disrespectful your parents could sense this magically and stopped you with the power of? Kryptonite? The moon? Psychic powers? Fire? Bricks?

Sharp words and a 'time out' only work so far. A spanking for a child is not child abuse according to state laws in the United States. Getting smacked across the mouth for being cheeky is intentional harm to a child and qualifies as child abuse. But a spanking given for [b]open defiance[/b] is on a different order altogether. I've seen children raised who were not spanked who turned out fine. I've seen others that should have been spanked who weren't who have since then grown up into world's most immature idiotic gormless selfish jerks. And then there's me, who was spanked while growing up excessively, but has still managed somehow to be a relatively productive member of society.

Spare me your moralizing because I highly doubt you're a parent and have ever been the ONLY one to have to mete out punishment to a child. I've been in a single parent position before and know how stressful it is. Yelling at a child is as much of a harm as a smack across the rear. You'll forget the spanking in time and it won't hurt, but a verbal punishment can do lasting damage or be forgotten seconds later. A spanking isn't the first thing a parent normally jumps to when it's time for punishment. It's the last thing.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]As a mom of young kids my self I firmly believe it starts with how early on you start to teach your children to listen and to have manners, my 3 1/2 year old is very polite for his age, he knows he has to say please to get what he wants, he has to say thank you after getting it, and he says sorry and excuse me if he bumps into some one. So I think it's a matter of how young you start. My 1 year old is also a very good child, he listens very well and he rarely throws a fit, besides the normal one year old fits they always throw. My two boys get along great with each other, they play with each other and our cats and dog well too, neither one pull on their tales or ears or anything most people categorize with young kids like that and animals. So like I said I think its how young you start to teach them manners and compassion. My oldest son is one of the sweetest kids I've ever seen, he'll hug some one he barely knows if he sees them crying or having a bad day. So no I don't think that the kids today are the rudest we've known or seen, I think its up to the parents to teach them the right stuff from the start. And before anyone asks, I have had to punish my kids, but no more than a smart rap on the butt or hand and that's it. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Whiteblaze'][FONT="Arial"]

The act of spanking a child IS intentionally harming/hurting them. If you are not wanting to harm/hurt a child than you should not spank them as that is harming them.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Excuse me? Ok Super Nanny what do you propose I do?

Before I get started on punishing my daughter let me first say that as a whole she's a very nice and polite little girl. Just like Knuckle's Girl's children she will go up and give someone a hug. She's gotten into the habit of trying to help out whomever she sees may be in need of her assistance and introduces herself by shaking hands. She helps with chores and will try to fold her laundry.

However she is four years old and likes to test limits that have been set. Most of the time she gets sent to the naughty chair for four minutes for a time out- that doesn't always work out too well since she tries to get up repeatedly and every once in a while she does get a spanking. Just a swat on the butt. Not to inflict pain- that's what's classified as abuse (I went through abuse training through my job in geriatric care about two weeks ago so please save your preaching for someone else) but just to emphasize the fact that she's on punishment.

I have also swatted her hands, but that was because she was about to try to touch either a pot on the stove or the flames from said stove (we have a gas stove) for the fourth time after telling her no three times and my only other option would've been to allow her to hurt herself. So tell me which one would you rather I allow to happen?[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][center][IMG]http://styletips101.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/black-satin-belt-big1.jpg[/IMG][/center][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Yeah, 2 of my cousins got hit with that or a paddle. Oddly enough both of them ended up being teen parents. BUt one of them graduated 3rd in her class. However I haven't seen the other one since 2004. She lost custody of her daughter and just ran off to God knows where.[/color][/font][/size]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]As a child, I was spanked with pretty much any household object you can think of.

Belts, paddles, yardsticks, shoehorns, television sets, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, barbecue grills...

Pretty much anything.

I like to think I grew up pretty well-adjusted.

I don't have any kids, but when I do, I'll probably punish them the same way my parents punished me. But also like my parents, I'll teach them to respect myself and others and just be decent human beings over all.

It's fool-proof, I tell you.

Fool-proof.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]As a child, I was spanked with pretty much any household object you can think of.

Belts, paddles, yardsticks, shoehorns, television sets, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, barbecue grills...

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Yeah I totally lucked out although once my dad's father beat me with a belt. But I just was pissed at that.

My mom's mom once beat her butt with a wooden spoon and hit her so hard she broke the spoon.

Aww the fifties. good times good times.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][COLOR=#9933ff][FONT=monotype corsiva][SIZE=4]Aww the fifties. good times good times.[/SIZE][/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]My dad was spanked by his mom with the flat side of a knife.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][center][IMG]http://styletips101.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/black-satin-belt-big1.jpg[/IMG][/center][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] Agreed. Except whenever I was being a bitchy little kid my mom whipped out a wooden pole.

[YOUTUBE="this"]Nn5jlrxcpkI[/YOUTUBE][/font]

[FONT="Arial"][quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Wait...so every time you were GOING to be disrespectful your parents could sense this magically and stopped you with the power of? Kryptonite? The moon? Psychic powers? Fire? Bricks?

Sharp words and a 'time out' only work so far. A spanking for a child is not child abuse according to state laws in the United States. Getting smacked across the mouth for being cheeky is intentional harm to a child and qualifies as child abuse. But a spanking given for [b]open defiance[/b] is on a different order altogether. I've seen children raised who were not spanked who turned out fine. I've seen others that should have been spanked who weren't who have since then grown up into world's most immature idiotic gormless selfish jerks. And then there's me, who was spanked while growing up excessively, but has still managed somehow to be a relatively productive member of society.

Spare me your moralizing because I highly doubt you're a parent and have ever been the ONLY one to have to mete out punishment to a child. I've been in a single parent position before and know how stressful it is. Yelling at a child is as much of a harm as a smack across the rear. You'll forget the spanking in time and it won't hurt, but a verbal punishment can do lasting damage or be forgotten seconds later. A spanking isn't the first thing a parent normally jumps to when it's time for punishment. It's the last thing.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

It would never get to that point because I would not say anything disrespectful in the first place because I knew what would happen if I did. My parents tolerated very little when it came to disrespect.

I'm trying to moralize anything to anybody. I'm expressing my view and really there was a misunderstanding. I do not think spanking is child abuse. I was spanked as a child. BUT. When a child is "spanked" and winds up with bruises, scars, large whelps, sore limbs, can't sit down etc... then yes I would say that was abuse even though there are parents who do this and still call it a simple spanking (not talking about my parents).

Lastly I'll say that the way people teach and discipline their children is a choice that they make. I'm not going pass judgment on someone else and their child, but that doesn't mean I don't have my own opinion.

For example, when I was in high school one of my teachers was telling us about how he disciplines his children. He spanked his children. He told us that when he's about to spank his kids they would wet their pants in fear. He said that if he hears from his wife that their kids were misbehaving somewhere then he would get home that night from work, wake them up from sleep and let them have it.

My opinion is that's crossing the line if a child is so scared of a spanking that they actually wet themselves (that right there shows they are affected emotionally/psychologically). In fact when he told us this story he even sounded proud about how he disciplined his kids.

I am not a parent, but I am still formulating in my mind right now the things I certainly want to do with my children when the time comes and things I certainly do not want to do.
[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Excuse me? Ok Super Nanny what do you propose I do?

Before I get started on punishing my daughter let me first say that as a whole she's a very nice and polite little girl. Just like Knuckle's Girl's children she will go up and give someone a hug. She's gotten into the habit of trying to help out whomever she sees may be in need of her assistance and introduces herself by shaking hands. She helps with chores and will try to fold her laundry.

However she is four years old and likes to test limits that have been set. Most of the time she gets sent to the naughty chair for four minutes for a time out- that doesn't always work out too well since she tries to get up repeatedly and every once in a while she does get a spanking. Just a swat on the butt. Not to inflict pain- that's what's classified as abuse (I went through abuse training through my job in geriatric care about two weeks ago so please save your preaching for someone else) but just to emphasize the fact that she's on punishment.

I have also swatted her hands, but that was because she was about to try to touch either a pot on the stove or the flames from said stove (we have a gas stove) for the fourth time after telling her no three times and my only other option would've been to allow her to hurt herself. So tell me which one would you rather I allow to happen?[/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE]

I wasn?t saying that you shouldn't stop your child from getting burned by a hot pot.

Simply giving a swat is not the spanking that I am talking about, so no, that's not inflicting hurt/ harm intentionally. I was talking about when someone spanks a child with a belt or something where it does hurt. I'm just saying that a person can't spank a child with a belt (which hurts) and the person say they were not intentionally hurting/harming the child.

I understand now from your explanation what your discipline approach is; where there's no spanking involved and other methods are utilized. I would prefer to teach and discipline my children that way, but on the other hand I tend to agree with people who think that spanking is necessary.[/FONT]

[quote name='PiroMunkie']Anyone else ever have to eat soap when they mouthed off too much?[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Yeah, but I was told by my mom (who did that to me by the way) that I can't do that to my daughter.

Oh yeah you know what gets me? PArents around my age who think it's cute when their kid mouths off to them or swears at them. I want to throw something at their head! Seriously I worked with a woman who thought it was cute that her 3 year old called her a *****. Really now what kind of manners are you teaching your kid?[/color][/font][/size]

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My cousin was like that when he was younger, I remember him clearly calling me the same name, he never did it again after I rapped in the lips with my fingers, he'd never been hit by his mom (my aunt) and was nearly 4. It's that kind of kid I hate, the ones that think they get away with everything.

On another note, I'm with ChibiHorsewoman, my kids never get spanked until they push their bonderies so far that me and my husband have no choice but to swat them, and like her daughter my two boys are very active and rarely like to sit still so time out doesn't always work out the way we want it to.

Me personally, I don't think it's really fair to call younger kids rude or ill mannered because most parents these days are to afraid of being told that they are abusing their child if they punish or discipline them. I mean now a days a father can't go out side with his son in a pair of shorts, without a shirt, in the middle of summer and play catch with out it being neglect due to the fact that the child has no shirt on. (It's happened to me and my husband, trust me, it happens) [/FONT][/COLOR]