OtakuBoards

Are You A Thief?

Rachmaninoff

I was reading this article about how people swipe stuff from the hotel they are staying in and figured, why not find out who here at OB has done that kind of thing. If you're curious about the article itself, here it is: [URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31046570/ns/travel-luxury/"][U]Stealing hotel amenities: right or wrong?[/U][/URL]

So bottom line, are you the type to take stuff when you're on vacation? I can remember taking home stuff that we had opened and still had some in it, since my parents hate to toss things away.

I don't recall them ever taking anything else though, but who knows? Do I think it's wrong? I think it depends. If it's shampoo you've already opened, I don't see a problem, but taking it just to do so. Maybe yes, maybe no?

Do I think it's wrong to take something that was provided for your convenience anyways? No. Have I done it? No

I stay in a lot of hotels and I just can't stand the soap shampoo or coffee, so taking them with me is pointless...though my fiancee has a bad habit of taking the customized stationary that most hotels have when she goes places.

Even that I think is really okay, but I know some people take towels, sheets, and shower curtains. That I really can't agree with.

[size=1]No, I'm a Pisces! :D

No, but seriously: they're expecting you to use things like notepads and soap and coffee - and I sincerely hope they don't expect to get them back. Things like sheets and towels and such, they wash and reuse. [i]That[/i] is bad. But things like soap? They replace them with new when you've left anyway. Might as well do them a favor.[/size]

[size=1]I've never done it because I've never been to a hotel. But, generally, I'm a thief anyway.

The main reason is because stuff is ridiculously priced. I'm not jobless, I get paid a lot, but I still can't afford small things. Do you think I'm paying twenty pence to go the toilet? No, I'll jump over the barrier thank you. If I buy tea and there's no sugar in it, I go to the next coffee shop and rob a load. That's also where I get my sugar from for at home.

I also shoplift sometimes. Not when I'm loaded, like. If I can afford something then I'll buy it. But if you think I'm paying five pound for eyeliner that isn't even security tagged I assume the shop is saying to me 'Go on, seriously, it's a special present for you!'.

And Afflecks deserve to be robbed from. The biggest alternative shop in Manchester and it decides to put its prices ten times any other shop, JUST because the alternative kids have nowhere else to go. No, that's wrong. I'm not paying a fiver, again, for a steel (not stainless, mind you) ring. I just pick it up, look at it, pretend to answer my phone, walk off and slip it in my pocket when I put my phone away. Easy.

I would probably go wild robbing soap and coffee in a hotel, to be fair. I might even go in empty rooms and take everything out of there as well =).

What was the question? Oh, yeah, I'm a thief.[/size]

Are you kidding? I still have a tote bag full of the little shampoos, conditioners and soaps from the hotel my family stayed in when we first moved up here and didn't have a house yet! C'mon, it's not like they don't have cardboard boxes filled with this crap in their janitor closets!

I loved snatching candy from the little bowl in the office of my old school. No, the students weren't allowed to have any. It was for "guests". But if the secretary isn't watching, then she obviously doesn't care enough.

If they don't care enough to keep me away from easily replacable small things like that, then I'm going to take it.

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I'm with Chibi on this one, I don't remember how many small things I've taken from a hotel room. Never big stuff like sheets or anything like that, the biggest thing I've taken from a hotel is a pillow and that's cause it was REALLY comfy. lol. Alot better than the old pillow I had, and just to be fair, me and my husband cleaned the room before they got there so it was a fair trade I think. All she had to do was strip and make the bed really. But I don't think its wrong for the little stuff that they have a ton of in the basement or something like that.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=deeppink]I have never taken anything tangible from anywhere, with the exception of a can of Altoids Sours that I accidentally didn't pay for because it was under a sheet of ads.

I have, however, stolen plenty of music and video games via the interwebs. I don't like that I did, I don't like doing it, and I haven't done it in years.[/color]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I don't steal hotel amenities because I always bring my own travel stuff from home. I have vials of shampoo and body wash, so that way I don't have to use the awful hotel shampoo/ bar of soap. As far as towels go, we always ask for more when we check in so that way we can have enough for the entire week and not have housekeeping come trapsing through our rooms while we're away. Saves us a lot of hassle and time. Plus, I don't know about you, but I never sleep well when others make my bed for me.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]When it comes to hotels, I check out with pretty much everything that isn't bolted down.

Sheets, pillows, towels, shampoo, conditioner, coffee maker, ironing board, iron, hairdryer, shower head, toilet seat, shaving mirror, lamps, tables, chairs, dressers, mattresses, ice bucket, headboards (most of the bed, actually) light bulbs, smoke detectors, miniature refrigerators, stationary, remote, telephone, bible, hangers, suitcase stand, ice machine, luggage cart, treadmill, fake plants...

Just depends on what all's there.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]When it comes to hotels, I check out with pretty much everything that isn't bolted down.

Sheets, pillows, towels, shampoo, conditioner, coffee maker, ironing board, iron, hairdryer, shower head, toilet seat, shaving mirror, lamps, tables, chairs, dressers, mattresses, ice bucket, headboards (most of the bed, actually) light bulbs, smoke detectors, miniature refrigerators, stationary, remote, telephone, bible, hangers, suitcase stand, ice machine, luggage cart, treadmill, fake plants...

Just depends on what all's there.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I just lol'd a ridiculous amount.

Anyway, yeah.

I steal things, whoops.

But one time I accidentally left a pillow there. Like, a pillow that I brought with me. It kinda made me mad.

But I figured it was just my giving back to society.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]When it comes to hotels, I check out with pretty much everything that isn't bolted down.

Just depends on what all's there.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Why do I find the thought of you stealing hotel bibles so amusing?

Usually any time I've stayed at a hotel, I already had my own shampoo and stuff with me, so no reason to steal the hotels' crap.

But, gosh, I guess I have stolen stuff before. Definitely if you count downloading music and anime through the internetz, I've done that. Not as much as others, but that's not a good excuse now is it?

[quote name='Stephanie'][size=1]No, I'm a Pisces! :D[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]If that's an acceptable reason I'll use it as well. ^_^

Aside from the odd bit of music or an anime series I really like I wouldn't consider myself a thief, and even then downloading music and movies makes you a pirate which is a much better sounding than thief really, with eyepatches, wenches, booty and grog. Yarr.

Specifically regarding hotels however I've never taken anything, simply because there was nothing there worth taking, like a few others I tend to bring a wash-bag with me withmy own shampoos and lotions because of the generally low quality of the products in the hotel.[/SIZE]

[quote name='chibi-master']Why do I find the thought of you stealing hotel bibles so amusing?[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Because you're a terrible person.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Gavin][quote=Stephanie][SIZE=1]No, I'm a Pisces! :D[/SIZE][/quote][SIZE=1']If that's an acceptable reason I'll use it as well. ^_^[/SIZE][/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]What? You actually believe in that ********?

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='taperson'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]But does he steal the Books of Mormon?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I don't think the Gideon Bible people have the same arrangement as the Mormon Bible people. Although that's a question for the Utah people. Do hotels in Utah have the book of Mormon instead of the Holy Bible?

And btw, they want you to take the bibles, that's why they're there. How do I know this? At my former Christian private school, the Gideon Bible guy was invited to give a presentation on bible statistics. It was rather informative.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I don't think the Gideon Bible people have the same arrangement as the Mormon Bible people. Although that's a question for the Utah people. Do hotels in Utah have the book of Mormon instead of the Holy Bible?

And btw, they want you to take the bibles, that's why they're there. How do I know this? At my former Christian private school, the Gideon Bible guy was invited to give a presentation on bible statistics. It was rather informative.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]That's really interesting!

Most of the hotels I've been to have had both though. Hmmmmm.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Raiha][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I don't think the Gideon Bible people have the same arrangement as the Mormon Bible people. Although that's a question for the Utah people. Do hotels in Utah have the book of Mormon instead of the Holy Bible?[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]I don't stay in hotels here, but I'm pretty sure they have both. At the very least, I know the one our company does wood and marble work for does. The others I can't be sure of.

I have never taken stuff from hotels. I bring my own shampoo and amenities. I did accidentally end up with a towel once. I don't even know how it got mixed in with some of my clothing. I have lots of nice towels at home and have never considered it worth my time to take one from a hotel. [/FONT]