OtakuBoards

Boy drinks gasoline like an idiot

Nony

Here's an interesting bit of news from China. I'll link the article first, just because reading it yourself is so much better than anything I could describe:

[u][url=http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/article/2009/200907/20090720/article_407995.htm]Boy drank gasoline for a stupid reason[/url][/u]

So.
The kid drank gasoline.
To become strong like Optimus Prime and other Transformers.

Yeah, wtf.

What I find hilarious is how they say the kid was apparently rather smart - smart enough to fix a TV - yet [i]he went and drank gasoline anyway[/i], and because of a TV [u]robot[/u] thing to boot. Honestly, he couldn't have been [i]that[/i] smart.

[quote name='Miss Anonymous]What I find hilarious is how they say the kid was apparently rather smart - smart enough to fix a TV - yet [i]he went and drank gasoline anyway[/i], and because of a TV [u]robot[/u] thing to boot. Honestly, he couldn't have been [i]that[/i'] smart.[/quote]That was the parents though. It also said that they were informed that the kid has a mental disorder. So I imagine that, more than anything, contributed to the problem.

I wonder just what that disorder is since the whole thing hyped it up to make it look like some dumb kid copying TV/Movies. Instead of a kid with mental health issues that interfered with his ability to think rationally, which is what the story is really about.

That has to be hard on the parents, to realize that their kid has mental issues that lead to this kind of destructive behavior.

[FONT="Arial"]And here I'm thinking I've seen something that talked about some kids, somewhere in the age range of about ten to fourteen, who sniffed lighter fluid to the point of exhilaration and intoxication. I can't recall if it was an article, or in a medical textbook. I don't think they actually drank it though.

Anyway, it's a shame that the kid did it to the point of causing serious health issues. [/FONT]

[COLOR=#35425e][CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/zoolander_gas.jpg[/IMG]
He should've stuck with the orange mocha frappuccino.[/CENTER]

That's so sad. But it seems that the parents were quite negligent. Hey, everyone, if you were the boy's parent, would you have waited for five long years before checking the boy into a hospital?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']That was the parents though. It also said that they were informed that the kid has a mental disorder. So I imagine that, more than anything, contributed to the problem.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're referring to with "that was the parents though". If you mean the TV thing, then the article pretty plainly states that the kid was apparently able to do that.

I do feel bad for the kid and what state he's in now, and if he started drinking gasoline due to a mental disorder then I can't be completely mean and say it's all his fault.

[quote name='Miss Anonymous']Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're referring to with "that was the parents though". If you mean the TV thing, then the article pretty plainly states that the kid was apparently able to do that. [/quote]It means exactly what I said. It was the parents who said he could do it. If he has a mental disorder then it means in some area's he isn't quite there mentally, like other people are.

It doesn't also mean he's automatically unable to do other things, like fix a TV. Plus, for all we know the stuff he was fixing was simple issues. So to say he couldn't be that smart... Well I think you get the picture. It's making fun of his [I]supposed[/I] intelligence instead of acknowledging that he has a genuine medical issue.

Anyway, I kind of wonder, like Delta, why the parents waited so long to get him checked. Though for all we know they did and the kid just kept getting into it anyway.

I agree with Rachmaninoff. In fact, my immediate thought after reading the link (not even the article, just the link) was that there may be something developmentally wrong with the kid. Though if Rach has the link(s) to any further articles discussing that issue, I would like to read them.

Most people, even if they aren't particularly intelligent, don't do things like guzzle gasoline out of sheer stupidity. Even if the kid [I]was[/I] stupid, the body's natural reaction to [I]gasoline[/I] entering its system would be for the brain to inform the body, "Hey. This is bad. Maybe you should stop now," by way of its gag reflex, or even just the bad taste. I get the feeling a child being stupid would have stopped pretty quick once he tasted the gasoline, or it hit his stomach. So the fact that he kept doing it over a long period of time leads me to believe there's some other (serious) reason that this happened.

I certainly hope that help can be had for this child, and that the parents learn from their mistakes.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"]I can't even imagine inhaling too much of the fumes from gasoline, let alone drinking it. Clearly something else was wrong. I'm also wondering how he managed to drink it for so long without managing to kill himself. o_O[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"]I can't even imagine inhaling too much of the fumes from gasoline, let alone drinking it. Clearly something else was wrong. I'm also wondering how he managed to drink it for so long without managing to kill himself. o_O[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]When I was a kid I thought a drip of gas into your mouth would kill you...

The parents worry me just as much as the child. Normally a parent would be scrammbling for the poison control number or something. o_O And I am baffled how the kid survived this long aswell. Maybe he is a transformer, or a gundam.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Nathan][FONT="Arial"']And here I'm thinking I've seen something that talked about some kids, somewhere in the age range of about ten to fourteen, who sniffed lighter fluid to the point of exhilaration and intoxication. I can't recall if it was an article, or in a medical textbook. I don't think they actually drank it though.[/FONT][/quote]That's because you were looking over my shoulder when I looked up some of the older articles on general Psychology. =P I was looking at: Inhalation Psychosis and Related States. Mainly because reading this article here, had me thinking I had read something similar before.

Anyway, considering what the kid was drinking, he's lucky he didn't end up dead. Though the resulting brain damage isn't much better. It's a shame really. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Anyone remember that time some kid died after burying his head in the sand in order to be like Gaara?

Gaara never buried his head in the sand. Transformers drink oil, not gasoline.

Fiction makes people stupid.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Your born with stupid its not made. It is also incurable unlike dumb, and ignorant. I feel bad for the child. I've gotten gas in my mouth more than once and it is far from a pleasant experience. Its kind of sweet tasting except your mouth and eyes water uncontrollably; kinda like getting it in your eyes... but I digress. He really had some willpower to force himself to do that is what I'm getting at. Humans can be astonishing creatures.

• 4 weeks later...
This reminds me of someone who we all should know from history. The first emporer of to unify China, Qin Shi Huang! He took several mercury pills for years until he died a ripe young age. He believed to become immortal by consuming mercury.

Sound familiar?

I am surprised he wasn't dead after the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
Surprised he lasted 5 years. Gasoline is said to be acidic and I really don't know or wanna know what it taste like. I didnt want to know what antifreeze taste like(Mountain Dew) but that comes with the territory. The smell alone should deter drinking it WIll power aint got nothing to do with that.

[quote name='Delta'][COLOR=#35425e][CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/zoolander_gas.jpg[/IMG]
He should've stuck with the orange mocha frappuccino.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Exactly what came to mind when I read about this.

And the kid was silly it's energon which powers the Transformers d'uh.[/SIZE]