OtakuBoards

F-word in Cobain quote sparks controversy

Rachmaninoff

If you're not familiar with this then take a moment to read the article here on it:

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32282920/ns/entertainment-celebrities/"][U]F-word in Cobain quote sparks controversy[/U][/URL]

Basically the whole fuss is over this part of the article here:[quote][FONT="Arial"]Aberdeen city officials are upset about the quote that says, "Drugs are bad for you. They will f--- you up." The marker contains the full F-word.[/FONT][/quote]Now I kind of do consider swearing in bad taste, however, at the same time I can see why they used it. It is rather accurate after all. So the question I'm curious about is this:

What are your thoughts on allowing profanity on grave markers? Yes or no and why?

Personally I'd just leave it off, but that's just me. I'm not offended that they included it for this person. Though I can kind of see why they're upset.

[SIZE="1"]If you ever hear me speak Rach you'll know that I have no issues in regard to swearing, at the end of the day they're just words, it's the intent behind them that determines how offensive they are. In the case I would say that rather than intended to genuinely offend, it's just Cobain's way of trying to warn people against following his example. Of course maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I see it.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"']If you ever hear me speak Rach you'll know that I have no issues in regard to swearing, at the end of the day they're just words, it's the intent behind them that determines how offensive they are. In the case I would say that rather than intended to genuinely offend, it's just Cobain's way of trying to warn people against following his example. Of course maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I see it.[/SIZE][/quote]That's why I'm not bothered by it. The actual intent is the key. I honestly don't swear much myself, but unless someone is trying to be offensive, I don't really care if others do. If that makes sense.

Around here though, where it's highly religious, that kind of thing, I'd be surprised if any place would even honor a request to include something like that on a memorial marker. I just don't see it happening here. At all.

[FONT=Arial]As far as I'm concerned, this instance isn't worth the trouble. If that's Kurt's quote and what he wanted on his grave marker, so be it. Any city officials concerned that the word might make their city "look bad" or offend someone in the city need to go back and live on college campus for a while.

Second, I don't consider this a "swear word". That feels like something your parents tell you when you're in the third grade. It's an expletive, and if we let Samuel Clemens get away with them, surely we can let Kurt Cobain have his day.

(Actually I don't consider anything a "swear word". But that's just me being difficult. As Usual.)[/FONT]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Hey, if a quote is great, who cares if there's some bad language. I agree with Allamorph, I don't think anything is a swear word. But I still don't see how one F-word should create a controversy. After all, it's freedom of speech. Honor the dead, put whatever the hell they want on their grave.[/FONT]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]If you ever hear me speak Rach you'll know that I have no issues in regard to swearing, at the end of the day they're just words, [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color="darkgreen"] Thats about how I feel. Words are words, gestures are gestures, and if it's not a gun or a brick, there's no harm done. I'd rather go home with my feelings hurt then go home in a body bag. The f-word was used appropriately in my view of things[/color]

To clear up some confusion--it isn't a grave marker, and it isn't according to Cobain's wishes.

That said, I don't think it's a big deal either way, and if those people in Aberdeen get into a big hissy-fit over "Kurt's wishes", it'd seem like they were kind of missing a point or two...

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]
(Actually I don't consider anything a "swear word". But that's just me being difficult. As Usual.)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry if I'm getting too off subject, but I completely agree. I've never understood the concept of a word being "bad". It's not what it actually means, because there are several synonyms that are perfectly ok to use. So what in the world makes letters arranged in a certain order "bad"? Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

[quote name='I, Colossus']I've never understood the concept of a word being "bad". ... Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Parents instilling in their kids the concept of "bad words" that "are bad to say" instead of believing their kid is capable of grasping (with help) the concepts of vulgarity and strong speech. And then said kids never growing out of it.

There are some words I don't say because I consider them vile. (Unless I'm demonstrating.) Other than that, I use strong language when it has the best impact and don't when it doesn't, because if I used it all the time it would just get boring.

I think this quote used it rather well.[/FONT]