OtakuBoards

Soy Sauce: The End All Be All

Raiha

Is Soy Sauce the superior asian condiment?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is Soy Sauce the superior asian condiment?

• Yes.
    • No; vinegar is better.
    • No; chili sauce is better.
    • Soy sauce.. .... ...is that like made of beans?

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Show of hands, how many peopl here love soy sauce? How many of you use it in daily cooking? Do you even know what's inside it? Do you have a favorite brand?

Our family generally uses the slightly less sodium filled Kikkoman, which as soy sauce's go is good for marinating, good for dousing your rice with, and good for drizzling on salads, dumplings, and stir fry dishes. On the other hand, my mom gets mad if you put soy sauce on her fried rice. She claims that it has enough flavor to stand on its own. I draw your attention to that one scene from the "Joy Luck Club" wherein a Caucasian male dating a Chinese girl has a family dinner. And when the mother uses her usual Asian self effacement, and calls one of her dishes "bland, no flavor" he dumps soysauce all over it saying "here this will help."

Thoughts anyone?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Green"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Tahoma"]Soy Sauce all the way. It has that tangy flavor I can't live without when I'm scarfing down a good bowl of fried rice.

I think I use the brand you mentioned; I'd go check my fridge, but I'm too lazy to check. Haha. But yeah. I use it on my rice. My mom uses it marinate beef in this dish she's created.. can't remember what she calls it. But damn, it's good.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms] I find it weird when people put soy sauce on fried rice and just drizzle it onto plates to give it "more flavor". I get the feeling it's a white-person thing, but I'm not sure.

I only use it as a dipping sauce for sushi/sashimi and fish.[/font]

[SIZE="1"]It's really weird hearing it called "soy sauce" for me. Actually, I didn't know that it was called soy sauce until I got to middle school.... Anyway, my family uses Kikkoman... the low sodium type, because my mom is worried about blood pressure and such. I like it as a marinade, but I'm not fond of just dumping my food in it... I don't even eat sushi with soy sauce o.x;; But... it's a great ingredient for dips (: I personally like to mix soy sauce, vinegar, and chili oil together for dumplings (?) or soy sauce, sesame oil, and a bit of red chili powder for tofu~[/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Yeees, soy sauce is indeed awesome. I try to put it in pretty much every asian style dish I make (and a couple of non) along with sesame seeds, garlic, and where applicable...curry power. It's gotta be spicy :)

As for the white rice thing being a white person thing, i've seen a little bit of everyone do it here and there. Personally, I prefer white rice as it is over any other kind or with any kind of condiment. Don't eat fried rice, and don't eat brown rice. [/FONT]

[quote name='Lunox][FONT=trebuchet ms']I get the feeling it's a white-person thing, but I'm not sure.[/FONT][/quote]

[center][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray][IMG]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/3/2008/03/smallish_ThatsRacist.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/center]

[COLOR=#487659]^ But it's true.

Over here, soy sauce on rice is a last resort, the sort of thing you'll eat when you've got nothing else. IOW, the very bottom of the underclass.

But soy sauce on everything else = v. good. Especially when paired with chili oil and used as a dipping sauce for shu-mai. Also, the way to cutlet heaven is paved with equal parts of ketchup, sugar and soy.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Personally I've always felt that butter on rice is a white person thing... Like a WAY white person thing.

And I usually put soy sauce on plain white rice when the house is empty of other foods, sauces, or anything. If given the choice I'll smother the rice with whatever dish is available. But yeah, last resort: soy sauce.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Personally I've always felt that butter on rice is a white person thing... Like a WAY white person thing.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Agreed.[/size]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]We have it, but we pretty much never use it. My mom rarely cooks anything that calls for it. Though that could be on account of my mom watching her sodium intake. So she tends to avoid anything that has a high percentage of it. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]We have it, but we pretty much never use it. My mom rarely cooks anything that calls for it. Though that could be on account of my mom watching her sodium intake. So she tends to avoid anything that has a high percentage of it. [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well the soy sauce 'lite' is kind of... misleading, considering it's still packed with sodium. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to use it at every opportunity.

That way you'll be one of us!

[size=1][yellow people][/size][/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=darkgreen][font=garamond]Kikkoman all the way! We like to say it's so good, it could Kikkoman's arse. Ahem.

Funny thing about soy sauce here is light means light in colour, compared to the alternative which is dark. And then sweet's different again. Is that the same elsewhere? Perhaps low sodium could be called light. Personally i'm a bit addicted to sodium, so I have been known to drink soy sauce from the bottle sometimes, and I also eat rock salt straight.

You should [b]NEVER EVER[/b] put condiments on food other people have cooked for you until you have tasted it. Insulting! That said, I'm yet to come across anyone who isn't in my family who cares. (English family living in Australia - some people think I'm really odd when I use my manners.)

And soy sauce on fried rice all the way. I'm sure Raiha's mum makes a mean fly lie (to jump on the racism boat) but the average chinese takeaway in my part of the world not-so-much. I am also a fan of soy sauce on brown rice with nothing else. I don't eat anything else soy though - hate soy milk, hate tofu. [/font][/color]

[size=1]I use sweet Indonesian soy sauce for anything that suggests a little bit of Asianness. I can't have a conversation with my friend's Asian girlfriend unless I pour some soy sauce over her head. In fact, I'll use it tonight for a dish of noodles with sweet honey steak strips. Yum yum yum. Lezat![/size]

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Soy Sauce is one of those things that if I use it occasionally, I really like it. But if I have it very often, I don't. So I have some, but I only use it in dishes a few times a month, if that. [/COLOR][/FONT]

I only know of soy sauce from chinese shops. Every chinese shop I've ever been in has had a bottle of soy sauce on every table.

I don't even know what it tastes like but I still always put it in my short soup. Doesn't change the way the soup tastes, but I still do it.

[quote name='Delta][COLOR=#487659']But it's true.[/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]So in your book, it's perfectly hunky-dory to make sweeping generalizations about an entire race of people on the basis that it's "true"? Because in my book, that's called stereotyping, which is racism by a different name.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I don't really use a lot of soy sauce. I do know that so far, I've liked the stuff I've had that uses it. Anyway, I am planning on trying out more dishes that use it though. I'm always looking for new things to try out since I love to cook. [/FONT]