OtakuBoards

Inglourious Basterds

Zen

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I went to a midnight showing for Quentin Tarantino's newest masterpiece and I must say, not only was I impressed, by pretty much sideswiped completely by the story's twists, turns, climax, and pretty much how deep the film actually is.

Christoph Waltz plays one of the most complicated and interesting villains since Heath Ledger's Joker. Multilingual with a sharp ear for accents and with a penchant for "thinking like a Jew" which has led to his nickname [b]"The Jew Hunter"[/b], he's both scary and charming at the same time.

Brad Pitt. Don't even get me started. Every word he spoke was either super-"HELL YEAH"-inducing awesome, or straight up hilarious. Often times both. Aldo The Apache is probably one of Tarantino's greatest characters ever, and his lines will be remembered along with the great one-liners from Pulp Fiction.

I don't want to get to into it yet, but I'll just say this. Go watch this film. It's been the best movie I've seen since [b]The Dark Knight[/b] and some say Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction. I'm partial to Kill Bil, so that's your call.

But do yourself a favor and go see it. Now.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Beat me to the punch.

Just got back from seeing it...

One word: Epic.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I mean, I admittedly don't go to the theater too often, and particularly not premiers. But I have to say this was probablythe best movie going experience I've had since seeing, again, [b]The Dark Knight[/b]. The crowd was definetly with me and my friends whenever we let loose loud, obnoxious "OH SHI-!!!!"s.

And I mean, come on, during the climax you know you were like "AMERICA! F-ING AMERICA!".[/color][/size]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Wow, I'm happy to hear something positive. This movie has had some pretty flat reviews so far, so your comments make me a bit more interested in seeing it.[/font][/QUOTE]

Most of the American reviews I've read for it have been rather positive. I mean, I heard about one french critic who didn't like it at Cannes, but that's about the extent of the negative press I heard from it. There might have been one other but that escapes me. I've come to trust Tarantino's work as either a "hate it or love it" affair, and I've always loved it.[/color][/size]

[SIZE="1"]Also say it at the midnight showing.

I wouldn't say this was the best movie of all time, but I enjoyed it. I'm honestly not much of a Tarantino fan, so I had no expectations going in. I loved Brad Pitt's character, especially while attempting to [spoiler]speak Italian with his accent clearly showing through.[/spoiler] Priceless.

I had no idea that was how [spoiler]Hitler died, I think I missed something in history.[/spoiler] :p[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I just got back from seeing this movie today. I'll agree that it was a good movie, but it wasn't Tarantino's best movie, by far.

Before I get beheaded, let me explain. Tarantino films are good because they are [b]cult[/b] films. They don't recieve a lot of attention until years later, where fans of the movies share them with other fans and thus, increase the popularity of them. This movie was hyped before it's release and I'm a fan of Tarantino films like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown...etc etc. While it did live up to it's hype (in my opinion), I think that the movie probably would have been better in my opinion if it was kinda passed over by the moviegoing public.

Although I loved Brad Pitt's one-liners. Made the movie so much more funny.

SayanPrincessX: [spoiler] No that's not how he died, according to the sketchy history books, Hitler killed himself. But even that is a question that can only be answered by him, n'est pas?[/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Korey'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
Tarantino films are good because they are [b]cult[/b] films. They don't recieve a lot of attention until years later, where fans of the movies share them with other fans and thus, increase the popularity of them. This movie was hyped before it's release and I'm a fan of Tarantino films like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown...etc etc. While it did live up to it's hype (in my opinion), I think that the movie probably would have been better in my opinion if it was kinda passed over by the moviegoing public.
[/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

wut?

Not trying to nitpick, but this ...isn't ...true.

It was fun, I admit, but some of it dragged on a little too much for my liking. It didn't help that I was rather uncomfortable in my seat either. x.x ( [spoiler]I nearly fell asleep at the bar scene. And then BAM shoot out, all dead. Over... "Woof..." ¬_¬[/spoiler] )

I enjoyed the idea behind it, but it honestly lacked depth compared to his other works. I was really looking forward to seeing it, but I came away feeling a little wanting. That may sound odd to you who enjoyed it, but I just felt it was lacking something. Maybe the story wasn't as strong as it could be? I don't know...

Although, I was VERY impressed with Pitt. I usually dislike his work greatly, but this time it was pretty darn good.

[quote=I, Colossus]wut?

Not trying to nitpick, but this ...isn't ...true.[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]My thoughts exactly.

Now, [B]Reservoir Dogs[/B] took a while to gain popularity, and [B]My Best Friend's Birthday[/B] doesn't even count, however, all of [B]Tarantino[/B]'s other films have been fairly instant successes.

[B]Pulp Fiction[/B] didn't take years of word-of-mouth for it to garner attention. [B]Pulp Fiction[/B] was big before it was even big. Also, [B]Inglourious Basterds[/B] was definitely not the only [B]Tarantino[/B] film hyped before its release. Far from it, in fact. The man loves to talk about his movies, and since he has the money, he'll tell everyone.

What I won't argue with you about is that his films are cult films. They absolutely are.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]What I won't argue with you about is that his films are cult films. They absolutely are.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]Not absolutely. Maybe a bit, but so incredibly many people swallow everything he shoots at them, that you'd have to stretch the original idea of the phrase "cult film" pretty much. The films aren't so much cult films as Quentin Tarantino himself just being subject of the biggest cult on Earth.

Apart from that, I'm still a bit confused on how I can't make a joke about dead Michael Jacksons, while some dude with an disproportional face can make a twisted film about the second world war. o wait nvm

[/size]

[quote name='Boo][SIZE=1']Not absolutely. Maybe a bit, but so incredibly many people swallow everything he shoots at them, that you'd have to stretch the original idea of the phrase "cult film" pretty much. The films aren't so much cult films as Quentin Tarantino himself just being subject of the biggest cult on Earth.[/SIZE][/quote]

[quote name='Wikipedia]A [B]cult film[/B] (also known as a cult movie/picture or a cult classic) is a [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film"]film[/URL] that has acquired a highly devoted but specific group of [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_%28person%29"]fans[/URL].[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film#cite_note-0"][1][/URL] Often, cult movies have failed to achieve fame outside of the small fanbases; however, [COLOR=Red][U][B]there have been exceptions that have managed to gain fame among mainstream audiences[/B][/U][/COLOR]. Many cult movies have gone on to transcend their original cult status and have become recognized as classics; others are of the "so bad it's good" variety and are destined to remain in obscurity. Cult films often become the source of a thriving, obsessive, and elaborate [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subculture"]subculture[/URL] of [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fandom"]fandom[/URL], hence the analogy to [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult"]cults[/URL]. However, not every film with a rabid fanbase is necessarily a cult film. Usually, cult films have limited but very special, noted appeal. [COLOR=Red][U][B]Cult films are often known to be eccentric and do not follow traditional standards of mainstream cinema and usually explore topics not considered in any way [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_%28terminology%29"]mainstream[/URL]?yet there are examples that are relatively normal. They are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions known.[/B][/U][/COLOR][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film#cite_note-1"][2][/URL'][/quote]

[hr]100[/hr]

[quote name='Boo][SIZE=1']Apart from that, I'm still a bit confused on how I can't make a joke about dead Michael Jacksons, while some dude with an disproportional face can make a twisted film about the second world war. o wait nvm[/SIZE][/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]LOL WUT

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]SayanPrincessX: [spoiler] No that's not how he died, according to the sketchy history books, Hitler killed himself. But even that is a question that can only be answered by him, n'est pas?[/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Korey, [spoiler]I know that wasn't how he died.[/spoiler] I was being sarcastic, lol.[/SIZE]

• 3 months later...
[SIZE=1]Tad late to the party, too much stuff got in the way of going to see the film while it was in the cinema so I decided to just rent the Blu-Ray version.

Having finished it I'm trying very hard to tie all my varying opinions together to form a single overall impression and I think it's best expressed by the fact I found it to be juvenile to the point of vulgarity.

There are points in the film which are excellent, that I concede, those composed mostly of Waltz's Col. Landa. Charming and sinister he is the epitome of villainy while at the same time drawing a considerable amount of the audiences (unwilling?) support. His introduction in Chapter One was marvellous, summing the character up entirely for the rest of the movie.

Shosanna equally provides a compelling and enthralling aspect of the overall story, although there was something about the dynamic between herself and Zoller which just...didn't work for me in a way I can't put into words.

Hicox for his relatively limited screen-time was an enjoyable diversion also, I particularly liked the [spoiler]how he was exposed finally as a genuine spy by simply the way in which he ordered drinks[/spoiler]. It was a nice subtlety in film which marred by a almost complete lack of the concept.

The Basterds themselves were the weakest part of the film, and as the title characters I do hold them overall as the focal point around which the rest of the plot revolved. Pitt's Aldo did absolutely nothing beyond disgust me, if I was supposed to cheer boorishly for the Nazi's having their own inhuman tactics turned against them then I'm afraid it didn't happen. Aldo had none of Landa's charm or panache to make him a likeable character for me, merely the leader of a bunch of gore-obsessed Jewish-American soccer hooligans out to have a laugh and take back some trophies. I was actually rather hoping Landa would kill him in the end.

I'm genuinely trying to work out whether or not the film was intended to be a searing indictment of its own fans. Just as Nation's Pride's audience whooped and cheered at each of Zoller's faceless Allied kills and that it was merely propaganda designed to sate the Nazi masses I can't help but wonder if each Basterd kill was designed to illicit the same response. If it was then I would look at the movie in an entirely different light, but try as I might I believe it was an accidental criticism.

So yes, overall while there were some excellent moments I thought the film was just juvenile and I'm rather sorry I wasted my money by actually renting it instead of watching it online for free.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]The Basterds themselves were the weakest part of the film, and as the title characters I do hold them overall as the focal point around which the rest of the plot revolved. Pitt's Aldo did absolutely nothing beyond disgust me, if I was supposed to cheer boorishly for the Nazi's having their own inhuman tactics turned against them then I'm afraid it didn't happen. Aldo had none of Landa's charm or panache to make him a likeable character for me, merely the leader of a bunch of gore-obsessed Jewish-American soccer hooligans out to have a laugh and take back some trophies. I was actually rather hoping Landa would kill him in the end.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]The title [i]does[/i] call them "inglorious." I'm not sure what else you were expecting from them.[/font]

[quote name='Sara'][FONT=helvetica]The title [I]does[/I] call them "inglorious." I'm not sure what else you were expecting from them.[/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]True, but equally they're the closest thing the movie has to heroes. Added to that the majority of people in this thread, and most who saw the movie seemed to like them so it's just a difference of opinion.[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
I had a very interesting conversation with a native German about Inglorious Bastards. Needless to say we both agreed it was a great movie and he actually informed me that part of the movie was shot outside of the town he lives in.

Oh and all you need to get people on the topic of this movie is 3 words

The Bear Jew