OtakuBoards

Did I just screw up?

eleanor

[quote name='chibi-master']I see no problem, then. Although, it does seem a little like you mislead your boss...just a bit, though![/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Out of the mouths of babes....

My only thoughts center around this remark here:

[QUOTE][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]- I was planning on being deceitful by not sending them the article.[/I][/FONT][/QUOTE]

A) If you plan on using your ethic to garner support and contacts and build a network who respects you, don't ever do this again.

B) If you are comfortable suspending that ethic on occasion to aid your goals, welcome to the world of professional backstabbing, you'll fit right in.[/FONT]

Well Chibi pretty much hit the nail on the head with her comment. While you didn't do anything wrong from a journalistic standpoint I'm going to take the con you wrote that stuck out most to me.

"I used my advantage of being an intern to write an article ripping the company"

While as a journalist, though I'm not one I truley belive this is the way it "should be", you must report the news as it is. In that retrospect you did nothing wrong by writing truthfull reviews of what you saw/see/feel, and since it was obviously a critique your opionion is open to others interpretations.

In my opionion writing an article about somewhere you're working isn't wrong in itself either, nobody says you have to love the company you work for, hell most of the others have some sort've qualm about working there, on the other hand you DID use your status to write an article that you really probably shouldn't have. Even if there is the faintest glimmer you could want to work there in the future, you could have ruined it (not to get you work up facts are facts, though I don't think you have anything to worry about.)

Of course hindsight being 20/20 I'm going to go ahead and give you my idea of what should've been done.

You should've tried to cut down the "ripping" a bit, choosing your words is a vital aspect of being a journalist. If something isn't up to your idea of entertaining, you can always say it just like that there's no need to "spice" it up.

In the end I don't think you're boss will be mad too long, I do think she has a right to be erked a bit but it'll pass. In the end it was a simple high school article, also if you have a copy post it so we can get a see of what/how you said it.

The only problem I saw was you planning on being deceitful and not sending them the article. If what you said about not writing for sensationalism or drama is accurate, then there is nothing to worry about. You can't control if a place will like your article or not and you did ask them if it was okay to write it.

So I agree with Allamorph, that's something you don't want to do. It's one thing to be open and honest with a review and yet another to attempt to 'hide' it because you're worried they might not like it. If they get bent out of shape, then that's their problem, not yours.

[quote name='Lunox'][FONT=trebuchet ms] I write for my school newspaper and want to be a journalist. And I believed in everything I wrote, nothing I did was for sensationalism or drama. It's not the writing of the article itself I'm conflicted about, it's whether or not I should have ever written it. [/FONT][/quote] I have strong beliefs about many things, but I don't feel compelled to write about all of them in a newspaper. Ethics in journalism isn't always a question of deceit; it can also be a question of what information or opinions should be printed and which shouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...
Well after taking a look at the article I can see why nobody was upset. You really didn't blast the network as much as you may have thought you did.

Plus after thinking about things (I would've gotten on here the day after my post and added this if things were going different here) I think you're boss, and the network itself, probably viewed your article as publicity.

I've always heard, and it makes sense, that even bad publicity is good for entertainment. If you hear something bad about a show, at least you're hearing about it and it still gives you the inclination to check it out for yourself.

All in all I'm glad to hear you learned a lesson from all of this, and shared the article with your boss.