OtakuBoards

Reputation system

I, Colossus

This is a feature on another forum, that's also running vBulliten, I visit from time to time. When someone posts something helpful/interesting/insightful you have the opportunity to give them "reps". And also if they are being frustratingly difficult or mean you have the option to give them "negs". These points collect and give you a little score that shows in your profile. This is, of course, far from something OB [i]needs[/i], but it's an interesting little feature and is a rare chance to award someone for quality posts.

I only bring it up because I often find myself wanting to quote a post just to say "That's interesting" or "Thanks" or "ahah, I found that humorous".

Just a thought.

[COLOR=Blue]This was actually discussed not too long ago in the thread [thread=60041]Post Counts Return, eh?[/thread]. There are quite a few replies but if you read through them, the conversation eventually shifts to the rep system.

And just as a point of reference, I don't mean for this reply to say we absolutely will not enable rep as that isn't my call to make. If others think it's worth discussing again than by all means, discuss ^_^
[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='Kikyouchanx']No, rep systems are useless and people use them as popularity contests.[/quote]

Very true. Seen it happen already on a different forum. Either people use it as "LOL MY FRIEND IS AWESOME!!" over every stupid post imaginable... or eventually people just start ignoring it cuz it gets a bit annoying or they just get bored with it. Then again I suppose on there it was mostly the n00b's doing the spamming of the system. They kinda littered the forum with random posts that had nothing to do with anything giving eachother rep points for no reason... yeah we got rid of that quick.

I dunno though it kinda depends on the site's traffic. Like what kind of users you generally get or currently have. So far I haven't seen anything near the above mentioned around here so it could work out.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='AnbuKira13']Very true. Seen it happen already on a different forum. Either people use it as "LOL MY FRIEND IS AWESOME!!" over every stupid post imaginable... or eventually people just start ignoring it cuz it gets a bit annoying or they just get bored with it. Then again I suppose on there it was mostly the n00b's doing the spamming of the system. They kinda littered the forum with random posts that had nothing to do with anything giving eachother rep points for no reason... yeah we got rid of that quick.

I dunno though it kinda depends on the site's traffic. Like what kind of users you generally get or currently have. So far I haven't seen anything near the above mentioned around here so it could work out.[/QUOTE]

I kinda see what youre talking about but it seems you are talking about the fact that people will post like 2 or 3 word sentences just to get their post count up. Along those lines anyway. If im wrong im sorry hehe. I think it would be a decent idea as long as their reputation only went up if people chose to rep them. And maybe if something like what Anbukira said did start happening like a bunch of people repping eachother over 2 lines that have nothing to do with the topic, then you could make the rep rules more strict so only moderators of the forum can rep you. Like if its in Sight & Sound and is a good update on a certain band or something, then the moderator can rep them to show that they impressed the moderators or something....Itd be better than anyone just repping eachother..if that started happening anyways.

That might work out quite well actually, giving the moderators the ability to do it vs just anyone. Suppose if anyone spots something they think is worth the mods dealing out rep for they could pm them and point it out? So long as your not pointing out your own I suppose lol!

lol yeah I think that would work! They should consider it =) as long as the pm's didnt become like 50 a day asking to rep this and that lol. Or if it ever got annoying to that point then maybe moderators can make certain people in charge of just the repping( doing the repping and taking care of pm reps/replies). Only if people got ridiculous with it lol:P

[font=franklin gothic medium]We've had a discussion about rep before and it wasn't a very popular idea, but I'm always happy to re-consider stuff if enough people want the change.

Maybe we should add a poll here so we can do a proper vote? Yes/no?[/font] :catgirl:

[COLOR=Blue]We did indeed do a poll which you can see the results to in the thread I linked above but it never hurts to get an idea of what the current member-base things. What should our options on said poll be though? Simple yes/no or should we include some of the ideas mentioned here?
[/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Maybe we can do a more comprehensive poll, with the options included here. I'm happy to set that up but I'm also happy for anybody to set it up.

It's possible that different poll options will get different results and we have members who have joined and become active since the last poll. So I don't see any harm in a new vote.[/font]

[quote name='James'][FONT=franklin gothic medium]It's possible that different poll options will get different results and we have members who have joined and become active since the last poll. So I don't see any harm in a new vote.[/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]Nor do I. However, we need an informal poll first. I'd be happy to set up the actual poll but we need to decide on what options we're including. Anyone reading this should feel free to make recommendations.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I have seen many forums employ this [the most common name for it being "karma"]. Whether or not it works, I can't say. I'm gonna take the neutral party: go ahead and make a poll by all means, but I don't think OB will suffer with or without it.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=1]I have seen many forums employ this [the most common name for it being "karma"]. Whether or not it works, I can't say. I'm gonna take the neutral party: go ahead and make a poll by all means, but I don't think OB will suffer with or without it.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE="1"]Agreed, I'm neutral on the whole thing, let's have a vote and if people want it introduced then that's fair enough.[/SIZE]

Hmm I'm trying to think about how we can make a poll... I mean what all is being questioned here?? The reputation system is the main topic...But are we thinking about if its moderator controlled or not?

Im thinking we could make a poll something like this....a bit technical but might work...

Should OB Have A Reputation System? If So, Should it Be publicly controlled or moderator controlled only?
a)Yes / publicly
b)Yes / Moderator only
c) No / Niether

Thats the best i can think of. If that looks good feel free to start it up

I know what you mean but i think we need that new FEEL of OB. I mean every so often we just become so used to the surroundings that it kinda gets boring here and there. I think adding the rep system would improve activity showing people this site is keeping up to date as well as people actually DO take the Suggestions part of the forums seriously so they can post their ideas tos ee if they can help improve OB for the better as well. That's how i see it anyways., I mean theres alot of forums with suggestions topics but how much of the suggestions actually get passed and get shown on forums?? Usually the suggestions are debated, and forgotten because they don;t know how to set it up or do what the public wants. This site is different; They take into consideration what you are feeling about certain problems and actually see if there would be a better way to do things for the better =) I know im just ramblin i hope this makes sense to you it sounded good in my head lol ;)

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]If it were used, how many members here would a) be proactive about it or b) pay attention to it.

For instance, who cares about post counts, aside from the "holy jeez you have been here a while" deal.[/FONT][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]That really depends on how it is incorporated into the site.

I think a small link in the postbit would both be subtle enough not to annoy, and visible enough that people would take advantage of it.

It could also give people a personal incentive to post more. A lot of people like having small goals to celebrate (I used to change my signature every 500 or 1,000 posts, for example). It would give newer members a chance to feel like they were "on the radar" in a sense that they simply can't achieve with post counts. (Like you alluded to, of the top 50 posters on this site, only half a dozen registered after 2003.)[/font]