OtakuBoards

Graphic Worm 2010 - Discussion Thread

Boo

[center][size=7][font=Georgia]Graphic Worm [size=8]20[color=#0D6DC7]10[/color][/size][/size]
[size=5]Discussion Thread[/size][/font]
[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=60906][b][u]Graphic Worm 2010 thread[/u][/b][/url]
[/center]
[font=lucida fax]The Graphic Worm is basically one continuous Worm consisting out of all kinds of separate graphic pieces. The size of the Worm only depends on just how far we get by the end of the year. The way the worm worked [I]so far[/I] is this: in order, members create graphic pieces of 600×450 pixels (width×height). Because of the Worm being a continuous horizontal graphic, the artists will have to juxtapose their piece (its left side) next to the last artist’s piece in such a manner that it fits like a charm.

[color=#0D6DC7][b]However[/b][/color]! As you may have seen, this year there’s a big “FLEX” right underneath the title. Members who have checked the Discussion Thread lately might have an idea what that means. It means exactly this: Whereas in the past your pieces could only be 600 pixels wide, [b]now your pieces can be anywhere between [u]200[/u] and [u]1000[/u] pixels wide[/b]! So if you have little inspiration, you can make a little piece. Think you have a great idea? Create a literally great piece! Just remember that the height of your piece is still limited to 450 pixels.

Because I know my explanation was rubbish, as an example here is the one of the year 2008: [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/graphicworm/2008.html][u][color=#0D6DC7][b]Graphic Worm 2008[/b][/color][/u][/url]. Remember that this was before the [b][color=#0D6DC7]FLEX[/color][/b] system, so all pieces are exactly 600 pixels wide.

Please note how each image is a continuation of the previous one. Take great care that the shade of colours and patterns align when set next to one another so that the worm flows. Also, try not to make it too hard on the next artist. Please be sure to check it out yourself after having made your image, before posting it. This to avoid confusion in the thread and Graphic Worm.

There's a link to the Graphic Worm in the left navigation bar under the OB Network, found [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/graphicworm.php?][u][color=#0D6DC7][b]Here[/b][/color][/u][/url]. [i]The Rules[/i] are also available as part of the "Graphic Worm" link under OB Network as well. Like last year, to make it easier, I have quoted the rules below, so you do not have to check the page first.
[quote=The Graphic Worm Rules][size=1][font=tahoma]If you'd like to contribute to the worm there are a few rules that need to be followed. To be accepted your submission must be:

[list][*][b]450 pixels high.
[*]Between 200 and 1000 pixels wide.
[*]In [u]jpg[/u] or [u]gif[/u] format.
[*]Of adequate quality. Make sure it flows with the previous segment.
[*]Posted during your turn in the posting order.[/b][/list][/font][/size][/quote]

You get a turn in the Graphic Worm if you [b]claim[/b] it. [b]Claim[/b]ing goes as followed: To start off, someone posts their piece for the Graphic Worm. Then a next person reacts to it, mentioning that they [b]claim[/b] the next spot. They then have [b]24 hours[/b] ([b]1[/b] day) to complete their piece in the Graphic Worm.

As we use the [b]claim +1[/b] system, this means that when a person [b]claim[/b]s a piece of the Graphic Worm and starts working on it, [b]one[/b] next person can [b]claim[/b] the next part of the Graphic Worm.

[indent][color=red]Please note that you can not claim a turn before it's the person before you their turn to work on a Worm piece.
If you fail to post up your piece within 24 hours (1 day) after it's your turn to make one, you will be skipped and someone else can take your place in line.[/color][/indent]

This is the official discussion thread for the Graphic Worm 2010! If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback regarding the Worm, feel welcome to post it in here or to send me a Private Message.

A happy new year to everybody![/font]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[font=lucida fax]Confetti for Debbie! Oh hey I just forgot to mention that to you, but there's a slight tweak to the rules. Now the width can be anywhere between 200 and 1000 pixels. If I look at you through my desktop screen with big puppy eyes, would you be so kind to change that? :3[/font]

[size=1]I absolutely love that we can make our pieces different lengths! It was definitely a good idea. Kudos to whoever thought of it first.

Does anyone else see that my most recent piece doesn't match up with the previous one? I can't tell if its my monitor/browser.....does it look ok to anyone?[/size]

[size=1]this is what it looks like when i put it together in photoshop.
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/n1cvb8.png[/IMG]

and this is what it looks like on the graphic worm with my browser
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2m3312a.png[/IMG]

anybody else see it like this on your browser???? [/size]

[color=#4B0082]The green varies a tiny bit along the edge of jigglyness's piece (probably not enough to be visible), but most of it is #005E20, which is the same as Delta's piece. And they match up fine for me in both Photoshop and Firefox. So it's most likely a problem with your monitor and/or browser.

And yeah, the brown along the edges of jigglyness's and Citric's pieces doesn't quite match up at the top and bottom but it's not very noticeable.

[b]Edit:[/b]
The only clue I can find about why this is happening is that Delta's piece doesn't contain [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format][u]EXIF info[/u][/url] while jigglyness's does. But I don't think that should matter.[/color]

[quote name='Citric']On my moniter, the edge of Delta's piece is #006e2a, while jiggyness's is #005d24.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Are you saving the pieces and opening them in Photoshop or some other image editing program to sample the colors, or are you taking a screen shot of what your browser is displaying? I get color values by opening the pieces in Photoshop, and I also tend to double check in IrfanView, because that will get the colors actually encoded in the image, not whatever the browser happens to display them as. (Which can be wrong for various reasons.)[/color]

[quote name='Boo'][font=lucida fax]I can't see it myself, really. Is it really obvious/bothersome to anyone? Because I would have no idea how useful it is the fix anything right now. :([/font][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]We can't fix anything until we know what the actual problem is. If the colors were just changed, it would match up for them but not for us anymore.

Also, for anyone using Firefox 3.5, please make sure you've opened up about:config and tried setting the gfx.color_management.mode option to 0 and seeing if that makes a difference. (Or try setting it to 1 if it's already 0.)[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I just noticed there's a one pixel line along the left edge in Citric's #008, in the dark blue section on the bottom, that's way darker than the rest. (It's almost completely black.) Was that intentional? It looks kind of like edge noise from a resize or sharpen filter or something.[/color]

[font=helvetica]I'm not sure how difficult or easy this would be to execute (do you stitch all these in manually?), but I have an idea.

I think it would be neat if we were able to link directly to a certain point in the piece. Say, for example, that I wanted to show off my totally awesome [url=http://otakuboards.com/graphicworm/2010/012.jpg]dragon segment[/url] within the context of the worm. If each segment (or maybe the segment number, or the artist's name) had an assigned anchor point and a recursive link [i]to[/i] that anchor point, it would be easy to highlight different parts of the worm.

You'd click an image in the area you wanted to show off, then use that URL to link someone directly to the area in question.

(. . . Instead of telling someone, "oh you should check this out! Click here, and then scroll sixteen thousand pixels to the right!")[/font]

[color=#4B0082]Putting in anchors at each piece should be easy enough. I'll look into it.

Also, you've got a color mismatch in #014, Sara. The brown edge of it is #DBCEAE while the edge of #013 is #D1C4A4.

[b]Edit:[/b]
I added anchors. You can now click on the number above a piece to get the URL for it. Also, the anchor names match the piece numbers so if you wanted to link to piece #018 in the 2007 worm, for example, you could just put that on the end of the URL like so:
[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/graphicworm/2007.html#018]http://www.otakuboards.com/graphicworm/2007.html#018[/url]

And before anyone asks, no, there isn't a way to make it center the piece on the screen. Not unless someone knows some JavaScript that can do it.[/color]

[color=#4B0082][b]omg double post merge:[/b]
We've got a bit of a problem, guys...[/color]

[font=lucida fax]I'm in the progress of fixing. If Sara doesn't mind, I'll just try to adjust her piece to the surrounding two without being too obvious. At least until somebody fixes their own when they don't like my fixing. :V

[IMG]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8782/2010sara001.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry bout the lack of awesome. It's actually too late in the evening to properly fix stuff.[/font]

[color=#4B0082]I'm still guessing it has to do with improper color calibration or browsers doing color correction on images when they shouldn't be. Basically, don't just trust your eyes when matching colors and never, ever use the print screen key to copy/paste the previous piece for comparing. Always directly open both finished pieces in Photoshop or whatever and use the dropper to make sure they've got the same RGB value.

The new one matches up with #013 except for a little area at the bottom where it looks like the gradient didn't get updated. But that's not very noticeable.

Citric's #015 is still much, much lighter than it should be, though.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'm still guessing it has to do with improper color calibration or browsers doing color correction on images when they shouldn't be. Basically, don't just trust your eyes when matching colors and never, ever use the print screen key to copy/paste the previous piece for comparing. Always directly open both finished pieces in Photoshop or whatever and use the dropper to make sure they've got the same RGB value.

The new one matches up with #013 except for a little area at the bottom where it looks like the gradient didn't get updated. But that's not very noticeable.

Citric's #015 is still much, much lighter than it should be, though.[/color][/QUOTE]
I do exactly what you said when opening pieces and getting the RGB values so quite frankly, I'm sick of hearing and seeing about the mismatched colors because I really don't know what you want me to do about it.