OtakuBoards

10 Weeks in a Foreign Country

Boo

So, at the end of the school year I will have to head out to an English speaking country (any country where they speak a properly accepted version of English), where I will have to spend a minimum of 20 hours a week performing Arbeit and I am not yet certain what country that will be. I am mainly thinking of Ireland, but Australia or New Zealand could be a jest as well. Even America is on my list. Actually, I'm leaving everything open. Any bright ideas? Free bed and job vacancy left even? Ha.

On second thought, maybe I'd better not try America, to avoid ridiculous visum bureaucracy.

Also for topic's sake: Have you ever spent more than an average holiday-length visit in a foreign country, and why?

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Sounds awesome Boo, we have a similar programme over here called Erasmus for students who want to go study in a college abroad (mandatory for language students).

I'd recommend Ireland but if the two of us got together I think the partying would cause me to flunk this semester. ;)[/size][/font]

Australia would be my first choice if only for the nice weather and beaches.  But I've never left the country and probably wouldn't without a sterling reason to do so.  

The farthest I've been was a cruise out into international waters.  Seriously, I was on a cruise ship that sailed out past America's borders, turned around and then came back.  It made me nervous doing just that so I doubt I'd hold up very well being surrounded by a foreign culture for any amount of time.

[quote name='The Tentacle' date='21 September 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1285022943' post='700649']
The farthest I've been was a cruise out into international waters.  Seriously, I was on a cruise ship that sailed out past America's borders, turned around and then came back.  It made me nervous doing just that so I doubt I'd hold up very well being surrounded by a foreign culture for any amount of time.
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Really? I've only been beyond my country's borders once...and my first reaction was extreme excitement, haha.

I've never spent more than a holiday length of time overseas, but I [i]am[/i] looking into the idea of studying overseas (or at least, continuing my current studies overseas). It'd happen maybe next year (at the earliest) or the year after. So if it does happen, it'll certainly be exciting (and scary).

I'm thinking I would definitely want to choose America for that, even though the process is admittedly fairly arduous - although I expect it to be pretty arduous no matter what country I choose.

The hardest part - even tougher than securing a scholarship, I think - would be getting a decent job! :)[/font]

I'm in Scotland right now studying abroad and I ******* love it. Was interesting to see the clay pigeon team sitting behind us at the pub last night get completely naked

Also, the classes here are once a week for three hours and I only have to take two. It is so goddamn glorious. I wish I was here for a year instead of a semester Edited by eleanor

[quote name='eleanor' date='23 September 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1285244455' post='700710']
I'm in Scotland right now studying abroad and I ******* love it. Was interesting to see the clay pigeon team sitting behind us at the pub last night get completely naked

Also, the classes here are once a week for three hours and I only have to take two. It is so goddamn glorious. I wish I was here for a year instead of a semester
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Wow, that sounds incredible. How much flexibility did you have in your course to determine where/when to go?

I am researching this for myself, although I actually don't think I'll be in a position to do it for a while yet. But I'm very keen and it definitely seems doable. :)[/font]

[quote name='James' date='23 September 2010 - 06:02 AM' timestamp='1285246965' post='700711'][font="Palatino Linotype"]
I am researching this for myself, although I actually don't think I'll be in a position to do it for a while yet. But I'm very keen and it definitely seems doable. :)[/font]
[/quote]
you people without banners make it very difficult to read the last words of your post... i had to reply to you to see the whole thing!
...useless...friggen...karmabox....:mad:

anyways since i am here...
i would love to go to France... i know most of them don't want a good old American like me there... but if they have a problem with it i can just challenge them to a war. :P
i have always been in love with the Eiffiel Tower... i probably wont muster the willpower to go for a while... but eventually i will make it.

[quote name='James' date='23 September 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1285246965' post='700711']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]Wow, that sounds incredible. How much flexibility did you have in your course to determine where/when to go?

[/quote]

Do you mean like how much flexibility did I have in choosing Scotland? Basically my undergraduate offers a bunch of places around the world students can study abroad in, and you can do either one semester (fall or spring) or a year there (some of the programs required a year, though). I chose Scotland because I was limited to English-speaking countries, and between London and St. Andrews I chose the latter just because I thought I'd like it better. It's really nice! Although the pound-dollar conversion still kills me...

[quote name='eleanor' date='24 September 2010 - 05:25 AM' timestamp='1285266331' post='700714']
Do you mean like how much flexibility did I have in choosing Scotland? Basically my undergraduate offers a bunch of places around the world students can study abroad in, and you can do either one semester (fall or spring) or a year there (some of the programs required a year, though). I chose Scotland because I was limited to English-speaking countries, and between London and St. Andrews I chose the latter just because I thought I'd like it better. It's really nice! Although the pound-dollar conversion still kills me...
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Oh, that sounds pretty good.

I think for me the biggest issue will be that even if I transfer to a University in the United States, I'll still have to contribute a pretty big amount of money each year, which means I'll need to find work as well. I have no problem with that, except that I've heard that it's very difficult to find work in some parts of the U.S., especially for foreigners (I'm not sure how true this is, but I also wouldn't want to throw caution to the wind and just assume I'll find something).

And, of course, it's tougher to find something [i]before[/i] even leaving Australia in the first instance. So that will be a bit of a hurdle I think. It's also hard to leave the security of my current full-time job behind, even for a few months! :) [/font]

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Boo' timestamp='1292841722' post='702985']
Hmph, casually finding a job in Ireland proves completely impossible. :^( I'm going to have to use my European charms, I'm afraid. Maybe they need a part-time podcaster in a villa on Jersey.
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Come to Australia. The unemployment rate here is quite low and the rate of pay and standard of living is pretty high. Also...you get the added bonus of a different climate than you're used to and probably a fairly different culture (at least, more different than you'd get elsewhere in Europe).

I'm not biased or anything, but perhaps Melbourne should be your first stop? :P

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RTiUbUjVTU[/media][/center][/font]

... That's actually quite a plan. I should start digging into that. In the case of, I'll probably be bombing you with questions about stuff though. :^D

OH. Then you can be a weekly live guest in the podcast too. 8D

[quote name='Boo' timestamp='1292851585' post='702992']
... That's actually quite a plan. I should start digging into that. In the case of, I'll probably be bombing you with questions about stuff though. :^D

OH. Then you can be a weekly live guest in the podcast too. 8D
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]That would be truly awesome. I'm a good tour guide - there's heaps and heaps to do in Melbourne. And happy to answer any questions you may have. :)[/font]