OtakuBoards

Totally Unrelated Titles

The Tentacle

This thread is about those anime series that have the most obtuse and nonsensical titles you've ever heard.  These are titles that not only have little to do with the series they're tacked onto but make very little sense in general.   I can think of two off the top of my head:

1.  [b]Kiddy Grade[/b] - Kiddy Grade sounds like a slice-of-life series based on the lives of elementary school children.  That would make sense at least.  But it's not.  It's a sci-fi action series set in the distant future.  Unless you're counting the two female loli characters there is nothing kiddy about it.  And wtf are they grading?  Eh, I'll give the series itself a B+ for awesome character designs and an engaging storyline.  But as far as the title, yeah that gets an F.

2.  [b]Plastic Little[/b] - I can't even think of anything to say about this title.  Plastic Little doesn't conjure up any sort of mental image for me.  Is it a toy?  Stewart's brother?  I don't get it at all.  And of course the title has absolutely nothing to do with the actual show.  Plastic Little is another futuristic sci-fi show.  It's not all that great.  The storyline kinda sucked and the finale was horrible.  To be honest I only watched it for the fan service.  Hmm, maybe that's it. Plastic Little refers to breast implants and the main character's petanko angle. Yeah, that's a stretch but it's the best I can come up with.

[b]BLEACH!!!![/b]. I've been following Bleach for quite some time and I still don't know why it's called that. There's no references to the cleaning product either. I suppose you can say that if you use the concept of pooring bleach onto black clothes you get white.

whenever i put bleach on black clothes it makes a pink color... I would say I am doing it wrong but anyone who puts bleach on black clothes is doing it wrong...

my addition is the Anime called [b]s-CRY-ed.[/b]
It may have a meaning... but it is never even mentioned in the Anime.
If you are gonna make up a word, especially a wierd one like that, at least have the common decency to explain it! Edited by CaNz

[quote name='Phenom' date='27 October 2010 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1288221598' post='701349']
[b]BLEACH!!!![/b]. I've been following Bleach for quite some time and I still don't know why it's called that. There's no references to the cleaning product either. I suppose you can say that if you use the concept of pooring bleach onto black clothes you get white.
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]I think it was mentioned somewhere that it has to do with Ichigo's hair. Apparently he's accused of bleaching it because it's orange, which is weird for a Japanese guy. Yes, this totally ignores about half the cast and their green, white and orange hair. Including Orihime who has the same hair color and even attends the same school.

[b]Fooly Cooly[/b] is an obvious choice, even the characters mention that no one knows what the hell that even means. [spoiler]Apparently it sounds like the Japanese onomatopoeia for breast-groping. Japan is weird, have we mentioned that?[/spoiler]

[b]Slayers[/b] isn't exactly indicative of what the show is about. It leans a lot more on slapstick for most of the episodes up until the almost completely serious midpoints and season endings. I guess it's supposed to be referencing Lina's reputation as an ill-tempered, all-powerful enemy to every living thing (especially the ones that bring up her bust size), but it doesn't really say much for the other characters and it is in plural form.[/font]

[quote name='CaNz' date='27 October 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1288228512' post='701352']
my addition is the Anime called [b]s-CRY-ed.[/b]
It may have a meaning... but it is never even mentioned in the Anime.[/quote]

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the term actually refers to the characters' ability to synchronize with their Alters, thus becoming more powerful.  But yeah, that bit of pertinent info was never provided in the anime when clearly it should have been.

This might not be an unrelated title, but so far I still have no clue on this one.

[b]Durarara!![/b] - One of my favorite series of all time but I'm not even sure how to pronounce this one, so I usually call it "DRR!!" as I've seen it written sometimes. I originally thought I had figured out the titles connection to one or two characters, but both of my guesses are spelled differently.

I'm still working on finishing this series though, so maybe they explain it somewhere near the end.

• 4 weeks later...
If I really stretch my imagination, I can sort of make sense of the title [i]Full Metal Panic![/i], complete with "!" (or, if you like [i]Furumetaru Panikku![/i]).

Again, I can sort of make sense of [i]Speedgrapher[/i] when I think about the etymology of "graph", especially when used in photography (basically, writing with light). Still, I'd rather not try and figure it out. And what is a [i]Zone of the Enders[/i], anyway?

[quote name='Lilt' date='28 October 2010 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1288286615' post='701361']
This might not be an unrelated title, but so far I still have no clue on this one.

[b]Durarara!![/b] - One of my favorite series of all time but I'm not even sure how to pronounce this one, so I usually call it "DRR!!" as I've seen it written sometimes. I originally thought I had figured out the titles connection to one or two characters, but both of my guesses are spelled differently.
[/quote]
The Japanese sound written as "ra" here can also be transliterated as "la." So change it to "Dulalala" or even "Dullalala"... and you can pretty much see what the author was going for.

On Bleach, if I'm not mistaken the title refers to Icigo's hair. Everyone in school thought that he Bleached his hair (which is common in japanese gangs). Not 100% sure that is why it is called Bleach but it seems solid.

One title that always conjured up an interesting image in my head is Gunslinger Girl. I think of some little girl as a cowboy (or cowgirl) being a quick draw. Granted the actually series isn't that far off from the title. It little girls trained as assassins and covert ops.

That's just proof of how unrelated it is. What does an [b]album [/b]have to do with the Manga/Anime?

How about Blue Gender? I know that the bugs are called Blue... but that's only half the title... plus if it was the bugs they were referencing the second word would have to link somehow.

[quote name='Starslayer' date='24 November 2010 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1290613070' post='702105']
Actually the title Bleach came from the Nirvana song of the same name

Kubo is a huge Nirvana fan hence Bleach
[/quote]

didn't know that. Honestly I'm a big Nirvana fan and had 0 clue about that.... thanks for that titbit

• 1 month later...
Bringing back a couple of old discussions.  The fact that they're mine is entirely coincidental.  

[b]Elfen Lied [/b]- From the name alone you might expect some sort of comedy/fantasy show about elves.  Lying may or may be involved by elves sure sound like a shoe-in right?  Wrong.  There were no elves to be had in Elfen Lied.  Nor was it a comedy by any stretch of the imagination.  The only fantasy I could think of was the miracle that allowed this guro bloodbath with a side order of pedophilia to ever be released in the first place.

[b]Pumpkin Scissors[/b] - No, I get it.  I really do.  The lead character explained why her unit (and the show itself) were named the Pumpkin Scissors.  What I don't get is WHY she named it thus.  She stated that her unit's job was to, and I quote; "face the threat of corrupt people who protect themselves behind lies, power, and money like the rind of a pumpkin, and Section III must act like a pair of scissors cutting through those layers and delivering justice for the people."  Okay, now go back and read that again.  wtf?  When I think about the invisible lines that protect corrupt or evil people I would associate that more with a wall or a shroud or something.  But a pumpkin?  And WHO uses a pair of scissors to cut a pumpkin anyway?  Someone without a KNIFE I'd wager.  Personally I'd have come up with a more inspiring name that made sense.  Something like The Red-Tape Cutters or Captain Fatass and the Rad Squad.  But Pumpkin Scissors?  No. Edited by The Tentacle

• 1 month later...