OtakuBoards

Parallel [an idea]

Boo

First off, I haven't been part of, let stand [i]made[/i], a RP in years. Bear with me.

My idea was to make a story where when you join the focus is not on a character sheet. Instead it's on a Dimension description. You see, everyone who joins the RP starts off in the same universe. [i]However[/i], you also start off in your entirely own dimension of that universe, and all dimensions should be in some way different from each other, though still be parallel. Then there are loopholes between dimensions that you will fall through, ending up in someone else's dimension. Stuff like that. :^D

So let's say George, Charlie and Emmy are all living in Exampletown.
[list][*]George is a knight to the court of the king of Exampletown, slaying dragons when possible, and his life is told by an epic storyteller who seems to be looking over his shoulder, because he's cool like that.[*]Charlie is a cleaning man for a restaurant in sector X-AMPLTWNX88, cleaning after Wookie-like creatures.[*]Emma is a mysterious detective whose actions are always told in first person in Exampletown, crime capital of the world, where everything is black and white and it always seems to be raining.[/list]Then Charlie drops into a dimension hole, and suddenly he finds himself in a trench coat, talking to himself while washing blood off the streets of Dobbeltown, crime capital of the world.

Stuff like that. Is the idea so far completely lame or slightly cool? Edited by Lady Shy

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='02 November 2010 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1288714500' post='701473']
Stuff like that. Is the idea so far completely lame or slightly cool?
[/quote]
[b]
I'm going to have to go for [strike]slightly[/strike] [strike]mostly[/strike] really cool. :suave:

Because no matter what dimension you lived in, you will be thrown into something new. For example, Natalie Example lived a boring life in Exampletown working a part-time job, but now for some reason she's being asked to kill dragons.

Or something like that.

There's a lot you can do with this idea, Shy. So I can't wait until it becomes an actual RP. If you need any help with this, let me know. :biggrin:[/b] Edited by Lilt

[quote name='Lilt' date='02 November 2010 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1288715299' post='701474'[b]]There's a lot you can do with this idea, Shy. So I can't wait until it becomes an actual RP. If you need any help with this, let me know. :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
Um. Okay. I'm in. Let me know what you need.

- Shy

[quote name='Lilt' date='02 November 2010 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1288715299' post='701474'][b]
There's a lot you can do with this idea, [s]Shy[/s] Boo. So I can't wait until it becomes an actual RP. If you need any help with this, let me know. :biggrin:[/b]
[/quote]
fixed.

well, i am dying to find an RP to write for, so i will sign up for anything... but sense this is a good idea as well i like it even more. Edited by CaNz

[quote name='Shy' date='03 November 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1288735781' post='701480']
Um. Okay. I'm in. Let me know what you need.

- Shy
[/quote]

[b] :sweatdrop: My apologies, Shy. It won't happen again, I promise. :biggrin:

@CaNz: Thanks by the way. I wasn't aware of the Boo nickname until now.

@Shy, Boo: Sorry about the confusion you two. :o [/b]

Cool I get reactions!

So I was thinking the dimension switches would take place in some order and whenever I'd yell "BAM, DIMENSION SWITCH". Of course, I'd like to do that most at some climactic moment in someone's story, huhu.

Like this:

[color="green"]Medieval[/color] - Bert
[color="#ffa500"]Post-apocalyptic[/color] - Ernie
[color="red"]Kitchen Universe[/color] - Charles Dickens

BAM, DIMENSION SWITCH

[color="green"]Medieval[/color] - Charles Dickens
[color="#ffa500"]Post-apocalyptic[/color] - Bert
[color="red"]Kitchen Universe[/color] - Ernie

Though it cuts in freedom, it makes it more fun and adventurous, no? Ideas? Also, if you have something cool to add, please doesz. Edited by Lady Shy

• 2 months later...
I would very much be involved in this. It really combines several genres into one so there's plenty of freedom for all kinds of writers to pop in. I think you should put this into motion.

I have some thoughts now... and they're more just to get the ball rollin'. Basically if Bert is in one dimension and these dimensions are parallel, would that mean there's a Bert in the other dimensions too? And if so, would Bert replace the other Berts when he arrives in those dimensions or would he be able to meet himself? Because if you made it so there wasn't other Berts, then you'd have to make it so nobody had duplicates in other dimensions... and that wouldn't make them very parallel, now would it?

Also, would Bert and Ernie be able to meet each other while in the same dimensions or are we never crossing paths?

I also thought that there has to be a reason behind all this and maybe there's some paperwork buildup and a bit of a backup in the Time Central Station (or whatever you will wanna call it) where all these workers control time and space... and the characters that are getting tossed between dimensions are files that have been misplaced and being scuttled around the Station. Edited by Dragon Warrior

I'm loving your train of thought. The Time Central Station thing sounds awesome.

Also, I was just now doubting about that point of the characters being in all dimensions just now and thought it'd be cool to make it so that they are. I love it when characters meet other people's characters. Though maybe we could make it so that they're less-Ernie or suddenly replaced with someone else completely, or that there's just a pile of clothing because those people at the Time Central Station thing mess up.

oh I feel something coming...[b] C.L.O.C.K. -[/b] The [u][b]C[/b][/u]hronology and [u][b]L[/b][/u]ocation [u][b]O[/b][/u]rganisation [u][b]C[/b][/u]ommand [u][b]K[/b][/u]ernel. Work in progress. :^D

YES, IM FEELIN' THIS THING.

So let me try to understand that... you want to make it so Ernie is replaced by Ernie when he arrives in a new dimension? I would think it'd be easier. Plus, if we didn't make multiple people for multiple dimensions, we'd lose out on one of the most entertaining factors of this idea... let me explain in an example...

If Ernie is in love with Miss Piggy (hah) in his 2011 New York dimension and then he gets tossed into a 1300 medieval setting, he may discover his precious Miss Piggy doesn't even know medieval Ernie and she is actually a powerful warrior who wants to kill 2011 Ernie for trying to kiss her. Our characters running into their friends through different dimensions give to more of a connected plot. It makes for misunderstandings, consistent characters we can manipulate, and probably more plot twists and problems.

Well, yeah. I'm not sure if this is what you said but I was thinking it'd be cool if the characters and stories would remain parallel to each other in all dimensions, except that dimension's version of it. So if Miss Piggy is a mighty warrior in the medieval dimension, she'll at least be a really fierce and strong independent single woman in the Desperate Housewives dimension. If she's on a mission to murder the man who kissed her in 2011, she'd still be on that mission in outerspace, except she'd use spaceships to chase him instead of a Peugeot 206.

All in all... I have the idea we should just get this started and it'll be a fun fest of confusion and stuff. We only need to decide on some rules, like how the dimension jumps work. All the rest is fun improv. :V

• 5 weeks later...
This would be so much fun. :3 OMG.

On the note about replacing characters with their doppelgangers when they switch realities: I read a book like that, once. Where the only way someone could go from one world to the next was when their counterpart was dead. :3 Iunno.