OtakuBoards

I have a Question.

CaNz

[IMG]http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/PandasQ/26781_cartoon_main.jpg[/IMG]
Whats up with all the bad food people eat? Everyone I ask tells me that they dont really like foods like McDonalds, but no one I talk to makes there own burgers.

I bring this up because it looks like I am working on thanksgiving at my Chinese food restaurant. Who would eat greasy fast-food quality Chinese food on thanksgiving... a day where its Traditional to make a delicious feast? I know this will not be the majority of people, but anyone who walks into my restaurant seriously has a problem.
we go through at least two eight liter tubs of soybean oil per day, everything has both oil and sugar in it unless you ask otherwise (even the vegetables are half grease) and we are not even a giant chain corporation like most of the fast food places that are staying open on thanksgiving.

the only reason why these places stay open is because it is profitable to do so. I just cant believe this is the case.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Well, some people actually go to Chinese food places as tradition, even on Christmas. I think you can partially blame [i]A Christmas Story[/i] for that. :P

I dunno, though. Maybe they have nowhere else to go. But at the same time, many shelters, kitchens, churches and the like have free Thanksgiving dinner for everyone throughout the day, so who knows.[/font][/color]

Well Christmas is the only day of the year we are closed, so I guess the store owners haven't seen that movie.
I dunno... maybe there lives are that sad... but i still think its just being lazy... LEARN HOW TO COOK A TURKEY! all you need really is an oven and a meat thermostat... all the other jazz can be skipped if you wanna be lazy...

[font="Century Gothic"]I could see my mom wanting to eat out instead of cooking. She only cooks for us every single day of the year. She probably gets tired of it so I bet having someone else cook for a change would be a nice break for her. XD

We do have a Thanksgiving Dinner that is made at home. I know since I usually end up being required to help. ^^[/font]

I can't comment on Thanksgiving, but I can on the bad foods.

Pretty much the majority of the Western World is lazy as. Many people will defensively say "No I'm not!" but yes, you probably are, just not as lazy as the near-death-fat-peoples. Bad food is quick and easy.

But it's worse than that now, isn't it? A few years ago they banned 'bad food' in school canteens here in England. No chips and burgers - heathly (and gorgeous) food. You know what happened? The kid's parents turned up at lunchtime and fed their kids hamburgers through the school gates, claiming the new rules were starving their kids .etc.

Easy food is culture. You don't have time to go and cook a meal when you're in the middle of a Town Centre on the way to an important meeting having been up since 6am and too busy to catch breakfast - that's understandable. But laziness has eventually turned into culture - thanks to the advertisements of the bigger companies as well - and little kids know how to say 'McDonalds' before 'Cereal'. McDonalds even puts the f-ing [i]calories[/i] and contents on the side of their boxes now - and people still eat that crap when they see "1000000million grams of salt and cow poo!".

You can't really blame people for that, though, unless it's totally out of control. I'm not one for family dinners or even Christmas dinners (I'm not one for Christmas really). I probably sit down once a month at the table with my girlfriend and prefer to spend £5 on KFC at Uni than save about £30 a week by taking sandwhiches. That's life.

I don't eat fast food too much, and I only eat at a restaurant maybe twice a month, if that (Chinese food, of course, haha....sorry, man). I also doubt that everything I make is healthy. I know I make some junk that would earn me an honorary chair at McDonalds. But of course, I try not to eat stuff that's completley unhealthy, e.g. fried sandwiches that'd make Elvis proud. It take more than a leather jumpsuit with sparkles to make me eat some fried banana and cheese heartattack.

Well, you will have to think of the people who are young or don't have the ability or the availability to do it. If you are a college student living in an apartment off campus and you don't really know how to cook, perhaps a Big Mac is your extravagant meal of the day. Thanksgiving is not about turkey and stuffing your face with a home-cooked meal that will feed you for two weeks. It is about being thankful for what you HAVE and not take things for granted. Yeah some people may be lazy but think about it. That burger or chow mein might very well be the best meal and sometimes their only meal of the day.

[color="#FF0000"]I happen to hate holidays, especially xmas and thanksgiving. I think restraunts s hould be open during those holidays. I don't want no dry ass turkey and it's always dry I don't care who sez what or how it's cooked- it's a dry ass meat even dipped in water. I want anything versus what would be considered contemperary xmas/thxgiving food. I also don't wanna sit at home all day either. But know I hafta face these wretchewd things every year. I'm only thankful, we hafta deral with that **** twice a year. Not to mention theres nothing but **** on TV. I think I'm gonna get drunk for most of them. Sleep it off...[/color]

[quote name='Jax Rhapsody' date='21 November 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1290411535' post='702030']
[color="#ff0000"]I happen to hate holidays, especially xmas and thanksgiving. I think restraunts s hould be open during those holidays. [/color]
[/quote]

well, congratulations! now Scrooges like you can force holiday loving peoplle like me to eiher work on a holiday or have no job (which i wouldn't mind so much except Christmas is coming up)
I hate turkey too so I always make a holiday ham. Honey glazed goodness never gets old! plus if you don't like the bird fill up on all the other great thanksgiving food. I could eat a whole meal of cream corn alone.

[quote name='Jax Rhapsody' date='21 November 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1290411535' post='702030']
[color="#ff0000"] I think I'm gonna get drunk for most of them. Sleep it off...[/color]
[/quote] this I have no problems with... a few of you may remember my thoughts on spiked eggnog! [font="Impact"]^~^[/font] Edited by CaNz

[font="Comic Sans MS"]I stand firm in my belief that turkey is the tofu of the carnivorous world. It tastes like whatever you put on it. That being said, everything else on the Thanksgiving spread is typically delicious enough to make up for it.

On topic, though, there are a number of reasons fast food chains stay open on holidays like this as well as year-round. They're fast and affordable, for one thing, but I think the obvious answer is the one nobody wants to admit to.

They're delicious.

Deny it all you want, but deep down you know that you would never return to McDonald's if you didn't like it. You have a favorite menu item, a favorite drink, you plan for this kind of thing. No need to be ashamed. It's not good for you, but you wouldn't be eating it if it weren't tasty. It's when you make a habit out of it that it becomes dangerous.

[spoiler]Thanksgiving is probably my healthiest eating day of the year.[/spoiler][/font]

[quote name='The Professor' date='22 November 2010 - 11:46 AM' timestamp='1290455209' post='702046']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]They're delicious.

Deny it all you want,[/font]
[/quote]

I will!
The worst food I normally eat comes from my restaurant.. and the only reason I get that so much is because its free and I am poor.
Its not like fast food tastes bad... I could go for In-N-Out once and a while, or even McDonald's for some fries... but thats only when I am feeling so lazy I am willing to sacrifice taste. It doesnt take a master chef to make a better burger and fries than a fast food giant.

Its true that I don't want to be making my own burgers all the time, but I can make other things that are easy to make that also taste better than a fast food burger... so I just do that.