OtakuBoards

Even an E-Mail is Too Complicated

Boo

So I was just browsing NYTimes.com and I found this article: [url="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/technology/21email.html?_r=1&hp"]E-Mail Use Falls as Young Chat and Text - E-mail Gets an Instant Makeover[/url]

For those who don't feel like reading, it basically says this: (Young) People e-mail less than before and are instead chatting, texting or leaving messages on facebook and such. Some in the article question the future existence of the human ability to communicating with the written word. The rest of the article is about how e-mail providers (like gmail) are now implementing chat features and such to their websites, making the e-mail "just a part" of gmail.

Now what I thought was interesting was the quote in this thread's topic description: [b]â??Weâ??re going down a road where weâ??re losing our skills to communicate with the written word,â? [/b](Ms. Kallos said.)

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Some stuff you can [i]consider[/i]:
- Isn't it the job of the schools [i]to teach[/i] people how to use the written word (and stimulate them in the usage)?
- Many connect the same subject with the subject of "people becoming [i]less social[/i]". Is this about right?
- Is the written word [i]something of the past?[/i] AND does this mean we'll be using short phrases next, then just pictures, and then go back to "OOGA BOOGA" where we started off?
- Boards like this one are something in between-ish, right?

[b]Discuss stuff![/b]

I'm just going to take the second dash from up here and write down this situation thingy I noticed earlier: I was sitting in the bus and there were these two girls sitting next to each other. They both had their iPhone kind of thingies in their hands typing like mad. They hadn't said a word to each other since the iPhones came out, so a woman behind me muttered something about the youth becoming less social. HOWEVER, I figured they were probably at this very moment messaging with dozens of people at a time, able to reach billions of people by just a few taps on the touchscreen. Is that worth so much less than a conversation-because-we're-sitting-next-to-each-other-in-the-bus?

Also, would they be communicating so much if they were only using e-mail? Edited by Boo

Emails are already an extremely easy way to communicate. the only thing I am worried about is people loosing the ability to write with there hands... Its been a long time since i actually wrote a letter.
As far as loosing the ability to write because of texting just doesn't make sense. you write a lot more often then in the past when people used phones to call people d:

Well there is actually a possibility that people might lose their ability to write using their hands. But it's only a possibility though. But I think this is only possible for people who never actually used a pen to write. And isn't messaging and emailing a kind of communication? So I think they/we are still socializing in some way. Though not communicating and socializing the direct way.  Edited by SarahPatricia

I do remember learning how to write a letter twice in school though (English classes are so repetitive here) so it is part of school curriculum.
Honestly though... being proficient at typing has more benefits in my eyes than having penmanship skills. and for all we know the stupid teenager text lingo could become the new shorthand. (it makes more sense then shorthand does.)

aahhh yes... socialization skills are not helped by this... meeting people has a far different feel then speaking with people through letters or texts. however, people seek out social bonds.. there is no way that someone who texts is going to all of a sudden turn into a recluse.... its against human nature and is a theory based on faulty logic.

Im a huge fan of email.. all of my bros are facebookers and hate email, so I make sure to send them TONS of uber long emails just to tick em off.. haha

The only time I write with my hands is in class taking notes. But even now my instructors are starting to hand out PDF files to the class instead of old fashioned lectures/writing. (we even take our tests on our laptops over the network now)
Its obvious that hand writing is dying. Its a shame. Mainly due to the fact that pens and pencils are cool! (ive been told I have an office supply obsession : / )

Also think about other languages calligraphy. It will be horrible when the Japanese forget how to hand write kanji.

Communication with the written word will live on in some way or another.. but the art of calligraphy has been dying for a while!!
Think about what peoples handwriting looked like in the 1700's? Comparing that to the average modern persons handwriting is a joke.

Well, it would indeed be horrible if people can't write in their own.... letters. 

I write, e-mail, text, and chat all the time. Even all at once.

One time I wanted to buy a calligraphy pen for my MAPEH class (Music, Arts, PE, and health) and a saleswoman told me that they don't sell those anymore. For the reason that no one uses it anymore.

But even though more and more people would find e-mailing a lot more convenient, there would still be those people who would find writing by hand more convenient. It's like a flow. So old writings won't die completely. 

Chances are, people might quit e-mailing and sorts in the future because of "Health risks"

I prefer hand writing over typing when it comes to most things. Obviously my social life on the internet requires the use of the keyboard. However when it comes to creative writing, class notes, and such I much prefer my pencil thankyouverymuch. I remember back in the day where we hand wrote these little notes, fold them in interesting ways and pass back and forth. Now it is mostly texting.

When it comes to texting or anything internet, I personally hate shorthand stuff. Write coherently please. When it comes to letters I still write Christmas cards and thank you letters. It gives me something to do to give myself an opportunity to write. Anyone think that cursive is dying? I only use it for my signature admittingly but that is because it is so difficult for me to write cursive.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]My handwriting has always been terrible, long before I even started to use the internet. My cursive is barely legible.

And I'm with Japan, I friggin' hate text talk. I mean, I'll go "LOL" and "brb" and stuff, but i dun typ liek dis...not since I was a stupid thirteen/fourteen-year-old.

And funnily enough, I don't use email all that often. Just forum posts, IMs, stuff like that. I've never been a very social person -- I can hardly look strangers in the eyes without wanting to run off and hide -- so the advent of the internet is good for people like me.

I do think that the lazy kids that are too lazy to type anything anymore need to be smacked, though. Like the ones that honestly think they can type an essay in chatspeak and get a good grade. :|[/font][/color]

Cursive is not only dying but I've always felt like it NEEDS to die.  I don't care how pretty a page written in cursive looks.  The point of the written language is to clearly communicate to someone without using words.  Most of the hen-scratch that passes itself off as cursive that I've ever seen makes this almost impossible.  I always write in plain block letters.  It may not be pretty since my handwriting has always been paniful to look at but it's clearly legible.

As far as this lady's concern that our society is losing our skill to communicate with the written word I'd say she's full of BS.  If anything our skills are improving by leaps and bounds.  Sure text messages written in IM Shorthand aren't exactly literary masterpieces but they're certainly a step up from those dark ages when people used their cell phones to TALK to each other.  Back then keypads were only used to enter the number of the person you were calling.  All of the texting, blogging, tweeting, etc. that's going on these days only serves to improve one's skill with non-vocal communication.

Now you might say "but we're talking about using our hands to write out words instead of typing them".  Again I say "BS".  Mobile devices are a step up from pen and paper the same way pen and paper were a step up from scrolls and ink quills.  Does anyone bemoan our lack of ability when it comes to sharpening the tip of a feather and using it to scratch words onto a dried roll of parchment?  I think not.  

If anything technology will advance to the point where handheld word processors replace notebooks entirely.  Ink and paper will become obsolete as messages are typed out and delivered via wireless services.  The technology already exists.  It's just a matter of it progressing to the point where everyone uses it and the pad & pen are completely phased out. Edited by The Tentacle

[color="#006400"]Man, I remember I used to have a shoebox [i]full[/i] of old notes and stuff from girlfriends and girl friends in high school. And I'm not talking about stuff like "man this class is so boring LOL," they were practically letters, often front and back of the sheet of paper and sometimes multiple pages. Looking back, I find it pretty intriguing that we kept that sort of communication going (mostly in such length). I can't imagine doing the same through text messages. E-mails could come close, but it's just so much less 'meaningful' than actually having a handwritten letter. There's just so much more character.

I mean, here on this forum even, we're forced to format our text with different predetermined colors, predetermined typefaces, avatars and signatures to attempt to convey our own personality to others. Handwriting, however, even though it can be mimicked is inherently unique. I know going through grade school with the same people all throughout, you could identify someone's paper merely by their own handwriting.

I don't exactly fear or shun the idea of this sort of new-age communication (though I'm not exactly a fan of things like Facebook or Twitter), but I think in the shift from handwritten letters to instant messages and e-mails you're losing something a lot more significant than simply the aforementioned shift from quill and parchment to pen and paper. In the future, everyone "writes" in Times New Roman or Arial (or Comic Sans if they're [i]that[/i] person). Even if electronic messaging allows people to communicate with people from all over, there's still no real sense that you're actually communicating with a [i]person[/i]. You can't see them or hear their voice. Their "writing" is indistinguishable from the next person.

So in that regard, I could see it (sort of worst-cast scenario) being a problem that people become more and more socially inept when it comes to dealing with people in person.[/color]

[quote name='The Tentacle' timestamp='1292962383' post='703094']Cursive is not only dying but I've always felt like it NEEDS to die.  I don't care how pretty a page written in cursive looks.  The point of the written language is to clearly communicate to someone without using words.  Most of the hen-scratch that passes itself off as cursive that I've ever seen makes this almost impossible.  I always write in plain block letters.  It may not be pretty since my handwriting has always been paniful to look at but it's clearly legible.[/quote]
[color=#4B0082]I can't agree more. Back in fourth grade, I thought from the very start that cursive was way more of a pain that it was worth and refused to use it outside of school. Even after learning it, I could still barely read my parents' hand writing. And now with computers so widespread, the only benefit of cursiveâ??being able to write a little faster than in plain printâ??is gone and replaced by typing, which is even faster.[/color]

[quote name='PiroMunkie' timestamp='1292965148' post='703097'][color="#006400"]In the future, everyone "writes" in Times New Roman or Arial (or Comic Sans if they're [i]that[/i] person).[/color][/quote]
[color=#4B0082]The future is probably [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibri]Calibri[/url], actually. :p[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko' timestamp='1292979004' post='703101'][color=#4B0082]The future is probably [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibri]Calibri[/url], actually. :p[/color][/quote]
[color="#006400"]I'll give it points for being a nice break from the serif eyesore that is Times New Roman, however, the apparent fact that it's replaced both Times New Roman [i]and[/i] Arial as default in many common programs only drives my point home a little more, lol.[/color]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I do think that "text speak" is becoming a bit of a cultural thing. I personally don't like it, but I don't think it's really going to change.

One thing that bothers me - but it's been happening for decades - is the deliberate misspelling of words, often in advertising and branding. But I guess that's another story, haha.

My gut feeling is that the written word is not a thing of the past. The proliferation of stores like Borders as well as really popular novels that have encouraged many kids to get into reading seem to have made quite a positive difference (Harry Potter, I'm looking at you).

I guess the main assertion that I disagree with is this idea that social networking and texting are making us less social in general. I actually find testing and social networking to be a way for me to keep in contact with people that I may not normally speak to every day anyway. Email, for instance, is something I use really often to communicate with co-workers, friends and family.

I really think it comes down to the person rather than the technology. If you're anti-social, you're going to be that way no matter what tools are available. But if you're a social person, you'll just use those tools to enhance your, er...sociability. :P[/font]

[quote name='Boo' timestamp='1292929740' post='703043']

- Isn't it the job of the schools [i]to teach[/i] people how to use the written word (and stimulate them in the usage)?[/quote]

It should be, but have you seen schools these days? I got held back two weeks in Primary School (my first days) for drawing the 'V' in my name a little bit like a 'U'. I knew it was a V, and I knew the difference - and I [i]still[/i] write my V a little like a U today. I missed out on story reading and fell behind quite a bit from two weeks. I help teach my young cousin how to read poetry and books two years above her because she can do it and she should not be held back. Schools teach the... well, I suppose the foundations, but the rest is up to everyone else. Unfortunately.

The schools need to kick it into gear because, frankly, the stuff I've seen first hand myself and seen my cousin bring home is atrocious. The schools are probably part of the link here (of course it does depend on the school itself but even the greatest grammar schools don't compare - don't you have to be rich to stretch your limits in those kind of places?).

[quote name='Boo' timestamp='1292929740' post='703043']
- Is the written word [i]something of the past?[/i] AND does this mean we'll be using short phrases next, then just pictures, and then go back to "OOGA BOOGA" where we started off?[/quote]

It hurts me that phrase, but it's true. Language and literature, or the written word, is pretty much the foundations of every culture. The way I see it is that technology is interfering with this - making things [i]easier[/i]. I can make a small example here: Beveridge created the Beveridge Report which led to our National Health Service, intended to eliminated idleness, disease, squalor, want and ignorance. The NHS, the free service to everyone whether a tax payer or not, started our country's 'Welfare State'. It's an easy ride for people and has eliminated disease, want and squalor... but two remain. Making things easier (in this case through technology) to benefit people inevitably ruins the world. Who needs to send a letter when they've got e-mail? Who needs to send an [i]e-mail[/i] when they have Facebook? Who needs correct spelling with word-check? Who needs to bother reading when they can have it read for them or see it in pictures? Benefits of technology cause idleness and ignorance. Technology eliminates the the effort of intelligence and obscures the thirst for knowledge.

Children don't want to learn to read and write properly and will not practice the skills the states want them to learn because it's boring and it's not necessary on chat and text. This goes back to schooling; children should [i]want[/i] to read and learn, children should [i]want[/i] to have good skills in language and the written word, despite social networking. No one should be forced into loving literature or reading, but no one should be driven away from it. I use networking sites but I still try and use good language and good grammar - because I have some sense of pride in this ability, and I'm scared of the Grammar Nazis.

Of course, quick typing is convenient, and there's no need to write an essay, but the standards are dropping everywhere.

On feeling like I've just jumped into this I'd like to say I still use joint handwriting (they never taught us the real phrase in my school). It's not neat but it's pretty good, except in exams. I'm one of those people who likes to have my handwriting joint and squiggly and nice - even though it's not so good and proper, I think I missed that year in school. It's necessary for my to write quickly and ignore joint handwriting in exams - but I never forgot this trade and I will always use good handwriting when I have time. This should be the case with technology and networking - quick typing when convenient, but elsewhere you should have at least a little pride.

I do, however, think it is becoming cultural and although it does depend on the person in this day and age it definitely won't in a decade or two. Internet and networking is too big - kids grow up knowing how to chat before they know how to read a book. That's not a random statement, sadly, it's actually [i]true[/i]. The written word is dying and it's sad. Not a lot of people will admit to this but the standards have fallen through the roof and crashed down through a thousand kilometres of concrete. You'll see people studying the origins of Facebook rather than the origins of poetry soon.

To me language and literature is important. The reason being that, again, standards have dropped (especially in England) and I don't want to be a part of that. I suffered in school because of these crap standards and my children certainly won't - they'll know the difference between Tolkien and Rowling before they know how to log on Facebook. I don't understand why people don't see the written word as important - every [i]part[/i] of culture has been touched and influenced by language and literature, and written words. There's no comparison reading handwritten notes from your lover rather than "I <3 U" on Facebook. There's absolutely no comparison to reading the work of the person who pretty much decided what your Heaven and your Hell was than to reading silly Twitter updates. I don't think the written world will truly die in a sense, but it definitely won't have the passion put into it. We probably won't have much good contribution from writers; this disregard for the written world has even affected contemporary authors, who produce some of the biggest crap I have ever seen.

Reading everyone's responses makes me feel like I am doing the right thing this coming year. It is my goal to read about 200 or so classics before 2012. My high school was a joke and our English classes never did very much let alone read more than one book a semester.

I saw how schools were coming for grade school a while back. This girl was being taught how to subtract backwards. What the hell! I really do hope that my nephews don't become subject to that crap.

[font="Century Gothic"]I like using e-mail and texting since it's really easy to do. But I do like using real cards and letters for holidays, birthdays and special events. ^^ I do know that a lot of my friends don't really do much beyond texting so saying stuff is dying is probably true.[/font]

Personally, I believe that the big problem with e-mails is, that you'll usually have to wait for a couple hours or days (depending how often said person checks their mail) to receive a reply and, even though it is inapplicable for business deals and the likes, for which e-mails are still more practical, it is quite comforting to know you're going to get a reply within the next few seconds or minutes, wouldn't you agree?
Also, how is TEXTING, as the word already implies, deviating from the written word? I mean I do understand that people tend to use linguistic shortcuts such as "lol", "hbu" and many many others but since that only happens in informal conversations?
Another thing that amazes me is that schools and parents blame their children for not writing properly whereas they should be the ones to teach them. Isn't that quite hypocritical? If you're a teacher and you can't teach your students, at least under the circumstances of them not being heavily dyslexic, how to read and write properly, wouldn't that imply that you failed them? Just throwing that in there.

Also it most certainly is not true that people are becoming less social, since where there used to be phone calls, now applications like Skype and MSN (which features calls) are more popular than ever and a lot of people do like to call or video chat. I believe it simply broadens our variety of socializing. After all I've got a lot of IMs and texts with friends asking me to meet them in town, go to the movies, etc.
It is so stereotypical for people to just put the blame on facebook, texting and IMs to cover up their fear of change and though change might not always be good, the world surely isn't supposed to stay the same forever on.

Edit: About the thing with not being able to write with your hands. Don't you have to write your essays by hand? Or written tests at school? I know I do, and though I have horrible handwriting I don't see how it is possible to lose an ability you get drilled into your head the many many years of being in school. Edited by Felix the Cat

[font="Tahoma"]As an english major, I really think the key is communication. You could easily argue that the written word (typed or otherwise) exists solely for the form of communication when face to face speech is not available. E-Mail was the precursor to Instant Messaging. Remember how cool it was to message someone without having to send a letter to them? It made things more convenient because it was semi-instant. Now, with the popularity and ease of chat clients and texting, people can interact with each other without even having to worry about delay or anything like that. It's the ease of communication that makes things like e-mail or writing letters kind of useless unless you don't possess the means to.

Personally, I still write letters to my girlfriend. Not because a Facebook message wouldn't be simpler, but as a sentimental thing. You can keep a letter that someone wrote to you for years. It's a physical item that carries symbolic weight. While a Facebook message can do the same thing arguably, but the fact that it's not a tangible item makes it carry less weight. The words might, but the object itself is simply words on a screen.[/font]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote][font="Georgia"]Pity poor Hannah, who received a startling text message on her cellphone, sent from her father: â??Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.â? [/font]

[font="Georgia"]After Hannah registered her alarm, her father quickly texted back: â??I wrote â??Disney,â?? and this phone changed it. We are going to Disney.â? [/font][size="1"]- NYTimes.com[/size][/quote] Edited by Boo