OtakuBoards

Five Days: Declassified

DeLarge

[center][IMG]http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k528/PhilBoothman/five.jpg[/IMG]

[size="6"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][u][b]Five Days[/b][/u][/font][/size]
[size="2"]

Thursday November 17th, 2011

[i][b]---PLAY MESSAGE---[/b]

The screen flickers into life, the blackness replaced by a grainy, black-and-white image of a man sitting, looking into the camera: his short dark hair is matted, rings under his tired eyes and a heavy growth of stubble across his chin. The left side of his face is bruised, and blood is caked onto his temple and around his lower lip. He looks deep into the camera, opens his mouth and begins to speak.

"I'm recording this in case anyone ever finds it, so they can see. They can see how the early years of the 21st century were when everything changed. Most of us, we lived in the darkness for so long, unaware of our place in the universe. Yes, there were some who knew, knew what was out there, what was watching us, but for the most part we were infants, howling at the darkness.

But then came the day everything changed, and we were thrust into the light. The day half the world stopped, and people heard voices in their nightmares. The greatest turning point in human history, and it led to only one thing. If you find this recording, you can see it for yourself.

My name is John Mitchell, and this is how the world ended."

[b]---END MESSAGE---[/b][/i]

On November 14th, 2011, half the world's population simply stopped. They stopped moving, stopped speaking, became inanimate living statues, over three and a half billion people, completely still and silent for over a little over two minutes. No explanation was given for this "Event", as it came to be known, by the governments of the world, and scientists across the globe were baffled, manically searching for an answer.

The human race was shaken by the events of this day, but little did they know the worst was yet to come.

---

Welcome to Five Days, a sprawling, epic science-fiction conspiracy thriller set during five days which shook the whole of humanity, and changed the world forever. Without giving too much away, this RP will contain many different elements of science-fiction, including a certain kind of "visitor", shady government agencies and a sequence of events which links together an unlikely set of individuals across the globe. But this isn't exactly a family-friendly sci-fi romp: it will be dark, gritty and possibly slightly unpleasant at times, so be prepared for these things.

The story will be divided into five large chapters, each covering a day in this world-changing week. There will be twists and turns and perhaps even an earth-shattering revelation or two, in a complex plot which is partly created by me, but also very much in your hands.

As it is a story based around global events, you can create a character from anywhere in the world, and your character can be anyone, as every single denizen of the planet was affected by the events of November 14th, whether they were one of the people who stopped, or one of the people who were forced to look on, helpless. You can be an adult or a child, a professional or a criminal, from any city in any country in the world: you will, however, be encouraged to travel over the course of the RP in order to interact with other characters, so try not to be too far away from any other characters at any point. Whether your character is actively searching for answers or just struggling to survive in the aftermath of the Event, you will each play an important role in the plot. There may be times when I privately message you to give you guidance on the kinds of things that should be happening to your characters, but how you carry these things out, as well as other elements of the plot are entirely up to you. I tend to say this a lot, but this is not just my RP, it's yours as well.

I will be making a lot of use of the Backstage thread, as it will be important to help keep up with the twists and turns of the plot, as well as the locations of each character. To this end, I will keep posting up-to-date plot advancements in this original post, under the below headings.

[size="3"][b]PLOT POINTS[/b][/size]

[b]DAY ONE (Monday November 14th, 2011):[/b]
- 8:40-8:43am (ET): 3.5 billion people around the world, mostly situated in major cities, stop moving, speaking or responding to stimuli.

[b]DAY TWO (Tuesday November 15th, 2011)
DAY THREE (Wednesday November 16th, 2011)
DAY FOUR (Thursday November 17th, 2011)
DAY FIVE (Friday November 18th, 2011)[/b]
[size="3"][b]
DRAMATIS PERSONAE[/b][/size]

[b]John Mitchell[/b], a 29-year-old CIA Analyst who witnessed the Event but was not stopped

[size="3"][b]CLASSIFIED FILES[/b][/size]

These will become available during the course of the RP

---

[b]Final Thoughts[/b]

If all goes to plan, this will be a complex and epic RP on a similar level to the likes of Hybrid Vigor and the Almagest RPs, and as such I will be needing dedicated players who are willing to put as much effort into the story as I have and will continue to do. If we all do so, then this promises to be an incredibly enjoying and rewarding RP. Communication is also key, so make sure to keep in touch with myself and the other players in order to appreciate the full experience.

If I get decent interest in this, then the Auditions thread should be up fairly soon. In the meantime, please feel free to show any interest, provide any suggestions or ask any questions to do with the RP right here in the Backstage thread.[/center][/font][/size] Edited by DeLarge

[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Thanks for your response, CaNz, I was worried no-one at all would be interested. This is my first 'suspenseful' RP as well, so I'll be needing all the help I can get from other players. Is there anything in particular you're looking for from the RP? I'm in the process of writing a skeleton of a plot at the moment (I'm 3 days in so far!) and would like to know if there are things people would like to see.

Again, thanks very much for your interest, and I hope I can live up to expectations![/font][/size]

[quote name='DeLarge' timestamp='1295893206' post='704220']
[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Thanks for your response, CaNz, I was worried no-one at all would be interested. This is my first 'suspenseful' RP as well, so I'll be needing all the help I can get from other players. Is there anything in particular you're looking for from the RP? I'm in the process of writing a skeleton of a plot at the moment (I'm 3 days in so far!) and would like to know if there are things people would like to see.[/font][/size]
[/quote]
Well.. I like to be kept guessing! If I can figure out exactly were the plot is going it looses some suspense so I am hoping you have all the twists an turns cleverly hidden instead of the classic M. Night Shyamalamadingdong "twist up ahead" metaphorical roadsigns. d:

[quote]Well.. I like to be kept guessing! If I can figure out exactly were the plot is going it looses some suspense so I am hoping you have all the twists an turns cleverly hidden instead of the classic M. Night Shyamalamadingdong "twist up ahead" metaphorical roadsigns. d:[/quote]

I'm trying - it seems there's a fine line between hiding twists and turns and making them so oblique that they make little to no sense within the story, so hopefully I can keep my balance on that front. As for everyone else, it's a pleasure to have your interest, I hope I can keep it. If this keeps up then hopefully I'll have the Auditions thread up by the end of the week!

[quote]This all reminds me a lot of FlashForward, except you're jamming it into five days instead of several months. So like FF meets 24, lol. Sounds interesting enough, though the time frame seems a little intimidating.[/quote]

[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I'll admit the idea of people 'stopping' is similar to [i]FlashForward[/i], but the remainder of the RP will not follow a similar format to that show (at least not on purpose, I've never seen it). As for the time frame, it may seem intimidating, but 120 hours is quite a long time - admittedly some characters may be asleep at various points, and obviously people need to eat, but there is no expectation that you have to write in detail about every single event of the day. Similarly, the time frame is important to the story, and each 'day' will last a long time in writing terms, so there will be plenty of room for detail on the important events.

It's nice to see some interest in this![/font][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
I've been wanting to do a detailed RPG for a while now, after signing up for a couple and not having them start I was started to get dis-interested after coming back from hibernation. But I like the plot of this one, might be a challenge for me, but I'd be willing to give it my all. You got me if the sign up's are posted.