OtakuBoards

Planes suck

CaNz

With the recent crash in Taiwan, I have been doing some thinking about planes, and in my opinion we should work towards other methods of transportation.

Planes do a lot of things well. They are fast, pretty comfortable, they serve food, and have generally friendly staff once you are on(though even now they are all female.) Overall its usually not a bad ride though. Airports however are a pain. weather often delays or cancels flights, and the jam packed runways make taking off and landing time consuming, but mostly just annoying.

It may be just my 9/11 bias, but I don't think they are too safe. I know driving is way worse, but we drive a lot more often, and sometimes Impaired. Pilots also are supposed to be highly trained, and they often have help from a co pilot or their control center... drivers can just be a 16 year old. Crashes still manage to happen, and those are deadly.

I know I just talked about solar panels... but Jet fule is both expensive and harmful for the environment. there is no way I can think of to generate enough thrust to fly using alternatives though. Maybe someday...  but no time soon.

If we don't use planes how do we get places? Driving isn't much better after all. Well I think the answer comes from the past. Historys most popular mass transit systems: boats and trains.

Boats are still used to transport cargo, so why not people? For a vacation why not spend the first few days taking it easy cruise style. It may take longer, so some buisness people wouldn't like it, but I know boats can acess the internet from the cruise I went on like 10 years ago. as for the environment, its a lot easier to move a boat using wind and clean electricity than a plane. Also if it gets less dangerous neuclear subs would be cool.

The real improvements could come from trains though. Their are some really cool high speed trains out there, and electric power is the way to go. There are basicly no train accidents other than users finding dumb ways to die.  Trains can be large to fit lots of people, and you could just hire workers to make it like an airplane.

If we set up a renewable energy train system, travel in the future may even be free! if so we could easily see our grand kids, and if they make online friends on a forum it would be easy to meet.

EDIT:

I forgot to set guidlines for the discussion. This isn't a thread about the Taiwan crash, so if you wanna talk about your reaction to it and post the youtube videos make your own thread. This is a thread about transportation and the direction you think humanity should move towards... or you can tear my ideas appart.

Edited by CaNz

I think that trains are generally a good idea. Here in Australia, there has been a big push for a long time to build a high-speed rail line that would run along the east coast, from Melbourne to Brisbane. Apparently the flight corridor between Melbourne and Sydney is the busiest in the world; I can believe that. We have large numbers of people who need to travel between cities, but our continent is very large, and our major cities are very far from each other.

The problem has been that building a high-speed rail of that scale in Australia is astronomically expensive. So, that has really restricted governments in the past...who knows what will happen in the future.

But I don't think trains can outright replace aircraft, at least for a lot of things (especially overseas travel). But in cases where you're doing, say, only a one hour flight somewhere...then a high-speed train might be a better choice.

I also have some hope for the really advanced planes that various groups are researching at the moment. There's a plane concept (I forget the name), which involves very high-altitude flight and would apparently result in a Sydney to London flight of something like 4-6 hours (versus... maybe 24 hours at the moment!)

I think those are the kinds of technologies we should look at (unless someone invents teleportation...) ^_^

I think that trains are generally a good idea. Here in Australia, there has been a big push for a long time to build a high-speed rail line that would run along the east coast, from Melbourne to Brisbane.

The problem has been that building a high-speed rail of that scale in Australia is astronomically expensive. So, that has really restricted governments in the past...who knows what will happen in the future.

I also have some hope for the really advanced planes that various groups are researching at the moment. There's a plane concept (I forget the name), which involves very high-altitude flight and would apparently result in a Sydney to London flight of something like 4-6 hours (versus... maybe 24 hours at the moment!)

I think those are the kinds of technologies we should look at (unless someone invents teleportation...) ^_^

I hope you get your train James. Personally I don't mind the speed diference, but long distance planes require less infrastructure. Planes don't cover small scale trips though, so long distance trains could get you closer to your destination.

I remember hearing about planes like that a while ago. I love the idea of making the world closer, but that plane just builds on current plane's pros, yet still keeps the cons.

I am not sure how society would deal with that kinda tech. If it was limited to certain hotspots or you could track and control were people go it might work... but if tomorrow we could all freely teliport the world as we know it would be destroyed. Possessions would be impossible to keep, countries boundrys would be meaningless, and the only punishments able to be administered would be pain, disfigurement, and death... which sounds like a fantastic setting for an RP.

I am not sure how society would deal with that kinda tech. If it was limited to certain hotspots or you could track and control were people go it might work... but if tomorrow we could all freely teliport the world as we know it would be destroyed. Possessions would be impossible to keep, countries boundrys would be meaningless, and the only punishments able to be administered would be pain, disfigurement, and death... which sounds like a fantastic setting for an RP.

Yes! I'd join! :]

I looooathe the travelling to and waiting at airports. Feels like the biggest waste of time! Trains are " hop on anywhere and hop off somewhere else". Muuch better'

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Trains are awesome yes but you'll have to keep in mind that usually trains aren't used too much anymore...least in the extent of how much they were used in the past. Trains as a major transport were replaced by trucks. Also jeez! Why did you have to make this post or why did I have to click on it. I'm flying next Thursday. ._.

Flying isnt dangerous [unless your pilot has depression and wants to murder a bunch of people and himself] but trains are almost entirely safe. trains are still heavily used in big city subways, so I don't think its outdated. Anyways have a safe trip!

Flying isnt dangerous [unless your pilot has depression and wants to murder a bunch of people and himself]...Anyways have a safe trip!

As the saying goes from my favorite Rugrat, Chuckie, "Nobody knows...."

I'll try to have a safe trip! Anime con here I come!

Everybody has a ******* depression. It's funny how technical problems were discarded right away, and instead they base everything on the few bits of info they got on the black box drives that weren't mysteriously missing. Now, a dead guy is being blamed of murdering about 150 people, based on ****. Everything they want to find out now can easily be found out and can be used against him. "So, you had/have a depression, and you sometime in your life considered suicide? Interesting." "So your ex-girlfriend said you told her the whole world would know your name some day?" "So you had a doctor's note and ignored it?" etc. It's all a load of shite until they get more data from that plane. Until then it's all just really ******* convenient for Airbus (they're French, and the French police were the ones who immediately released the co-pilote story) and Lufthansa that nobody seems to consider any plane defects or any fault at their end except for "well, you can't expect them to run a psychological diagnosis every week, can you?". Ugh. Stop feeding the retard machine.

Imagine your sibling dying tragically yesterday and today everyone tells you he's a mass murderer, with barely anything to back it up, but enough to convince the whole world and put it one every headline. ******* hell. **** this ****. ****.

Edited by Boo

wasn't their obvious sounds of the pilot banging on the door? I have only looked at one online artical and seen some main news channels discuss it, but I didn't think there was a possibility that he was innocent. I also read a post from a pilot that flew around the area that the decent route gave the co-pilot a perfect view of the island he grew up on. It would be a pretty big conspiracy if you are right... but either way planes suck.

Not really because apparently hearing loud banging noises and speaking to a pilot is enough info for you, why shouldnt it be for pretty much everybody? He didnt even react to the banging as far as I know. He didn't even react in his breathing to mountain ranges coming right up his face, which psychologists already agreed on is highly unlikely for any person, no matter how mad, as a natural reaction would be to start breathing faster, pump more blood. There's way too little information to mark someone a mass-murderer. Fuck.

Okay, was it picking up his breathing or was it the same slow breathing rate? If it was something innocent like engine failure or something, you definitely would need heavy breathing, a reaction to the banging, and a higher heart rate. If anything that is evidence against him. If you are pleading negligence I still would consider that a form of murder, just not premeditative.

It also would be a conspiracy, since everyone is being told a lie. Its good to be skeptical though, regardless of if you are right or not. I should definitely have looked into it more.

• 1 month later...

My penny for a thought;

If one looks back into our possibly fabricated history; ships, horses, camels, elephants and what not were the main source of travel. Then the air balloons and airships came into play; you can see where the downfall begins. Man trying to find methods to imitate the ability to fly (Much like the Icarus story) and finding ways to control flight to one's destination; has always and will forever be a flawed yet useful method to getting around. Things such as the horrific events from 1919 and present; will always have the risk of deaths and misfortune. Unfortunately, we live in a corrupted world where ethics and morals are all interpreted by country and its history. Sadly, it is the risk anyone will take to accommodate easier traveling or convenience for others.

Trains, although loud and what not; are fun and gives off that nice traditional feel. But remember; you can't use trains to travel all over the world. Thus why ships were needed. Unless, we speak of such technology where the fudging train becomes a hover train and what not. If only it was as awesome as the "Polar Express" with such magical Christmasy adventures. 

Overall, it is us as humans who create such things whether something damaging to the world or helpful. Where the world is a supply and demand society; tragic events such as plane crashes and explosions will always be an issue. 

Edited by Kiki