OtakuBoards

Zelda:Gamecube

eleanor

Beh I just can't [i]afford[/i] to get a GBA, the link thingy, and whatever else I need to get the extra stuff! ;_;

I liked it better when everything you needed was right there in the game; but then, they wouldn't be able to turn a profit off of that...*grumbles darkly* The worst that we had in OoT is the Agony Stone (right name?), and you could still find the stuff even without it (provided you had a pretty detailed player's guide or website to stare at).

Anyone know if there are real time events going on in this game, too? (Like day into night, and so on.)

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=indigo]Heh, yeah, lots of Wind Waker banners and avatars popping up. (By the way, I love your dragon one, Ginny). ^_^

Yeah, I've read about a bunch of different stuff you can use Tingle for, and how you need it to do certain bits of the game. Now I'm really glad I bought a GCN - GBA Link Cable. I can't wait to play as Tingle while my friend is playing on his game. :D[/color]

[color=#808080]In relation to the GBA thing..I think it's mostly an attempt to sell more GameCubes (by tying GBA/GCN together). But I'm happy about that. lol

I don't see it as a cynical marketing exercise though. Really, I think that there is huge potential to add to these games. The Tingle aspect does add something quite significant to TWW I think.

And when you look at upcoming games like Roll-a-Rama (or however that is spelled), you can see how integral the connectivity becomes.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about how to go about this. My brother and I play cooperative on certain games...maybe he can be Tingle when I play TWW and vice versa. I don't know if I want Tingle's help though, because I don't want to make the game any easier. o_O[/color]

Well, the game has two quests... So I think I'll skip Tingle the first time, and use him the second time. I'll probably wind up playing through a few times as it is heh.

I am not sure if Bestbuy is going to honor my "preorder" or not. They said nothing to me when I bought OoT, and there were no preorder slips out. If they won't accept it (I'm finding out tomorrow), I'm just heading to EB or Gamestop and getting it tomorrow night. All of them are expecting it in by 6 or 7 PM... I guess they ordered a dozen or so over the preorders, so I should be okay... I hope.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#808080]Anyway, I'm still thinking about how to go about this. My brother and I play cooperative on certain games...maybe he can be Tingle when I play TWW and vice versa. I don't know if I want Tingle's help though, because I don't want to make the game any easier. o_O[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah, same here. I have a little brother who I [i]could[/i] use to play as Tingle, but I don't necessarily want to have the game to be easier than it is ment to be. However, if I can use it to find extra goodies and collect practically everything without making it any easier, I'd deffinitly go with that. I just like to have everything. ^_^ (makes a note to buy the link between GC and GBA)

Well, I was planning on getting Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker today, but my local Walmart didn't have it (even after my friend swore they had it on Friday, but just hadn't put them up for sale yet. Turns out he meant GameBoy SP, and just got confused). They tell me that they'll have it by tommarrow morning, and I'm sick anyway, so I may stay home and get the game. It'll be the first day I've missed all year, but deffinitly worth it.

[color=indigo]The GameStop store in my town has it right now! In fact, they had it half an hour ago, as of 7:00 PM! But AAAAARRRGH!!!!! I don't have the money! My brother owes me $50, but he hasn't paid me yet! GAH!

Bah, I wonder if one of my other brothers can loan me the $30 I need to get it... :twitch:[/color]

Mine came in about four hours ago. Cripes, was the line long. I got there before it became [i]too[/i] unbearable though. And to its credit, the store handled the situation much better than they did with Vice City. They actually had more than one cashier.

It's a good thing I reserved the game when I did, because there were so many pre-orders that Gamestop has two reserve lists. I'm not sure how long I would have had to wait if I was placed on the second.

I squeezed in a little play time during commercials when wrestling was on, and played a little longer after it went off. So, I can't comment in-depth, or tell anyone anything they're unaware of, but I've had a blast so far.

The game begins with a really cool story book introduction with a nice rendition of the Zelda theme playing in the background. It details the basic plot of the story, as many of you know it--telling of how a legendary hero called "The Hero of Time" [Link] rose to defeat evil in the past.

But, when Ganon returned, a new Link failed to rise and Hyrule vanished. And, it goes on to say that the wind carried the legend to other islands, and now it is tradition for boys to dress in green garb and train their swordsmanship abilities in honor of the great Master of Time. Neat stuff.

When you begin, Link is wearing normal clothing and has messy hair. There isn't much to do on the outset except for learning the basic controls and battle mechanics. It's not too boring and doesn't seemed forced. I just had fun hunting pigs down (I even threw one in the ocean) and chopping away at grass.

As of now, I've only completed a quasi mission that involves a few stealth elements like sneaking around in barrels and shimmying across ledges. I liked the freedom you have to go about completing the area.

[spoiler] When you lose your sword, for instance and are forced to confront an enemy, you have the option of using your shield to deflect his attack, disarm him, and steal his staff, or you can do a little searching and find a vase full of staffs.[/spoiler]

It's nothing [i]amazing[/i], but it's cool nonetheless.

I've only just acquired the sail, so I'm not able to comment on the sailing portion of the game. Hopefully, I'll be able to play a little more tomorrow. But, by then some of you guys will have rocketed by me. :D

Anyway, what I've seen so far has lived up to my expectations. The combat, in particular, is very well done and a notable improvement over OOT.

But, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Heh

I guess I should add that I dig the gold disc, but preferred the concept design for the box over the final. It looks almost exactly like past Zelda packaging save for a faint image of Link. It's nice for a nostalgia kick though.

You even threw one in the ocean?!

Seriously, I burst into loud (and embarrassing) laughter when I read that. Boy, I'm looking forward to that part! :D

Basically, everything you've said was on the Zelda.com site, so so far so good.

Indeed, I'm imploring ALL OF YOU to remember the spoiler tags from this point on.

Heh, yeah, I got a kick out of the pigs. Surprisingly, pigs are pretty good swimmers/floaters. I felt sorry for the little guy though, so I rescued him. But, my compassion quickly ended once I got the sword. Sadly, he ran away after I hacked him once. So, hopefully, I'll be able to corner one of 'em and abuse it so that I can find out if they swarm you like the chickens did in OOT.

The thought of rabid pigs mugging Link amuses me for some reason.

Oh, and after progressing a bit further, I'd like to add that this is probably the best looking game I've ever played. Some of the particle effects, like ashes blowing through and air are [b]amazing[/b]. And, don't even get me started on the lighting effects.

Okay, I got the game! Now to post my first impressions...

I'm going to skip the opening story line, as Charles so kindly told you all about it. ^_^

The first thing I noticed once the game started was obviously the graphics. The graphics absolutely blew me away, even after seeing all of those pictures. It's a lot different when you're seeing them in action in a video game. The graphics are smooth and tastefull, and seem to make everything very cheerfull. Everything in the game goes together so well.

The next thing was that, well, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that Link's sister, Aryll, talked in Japanese. Below the screen, the caption "Big brother!" came up as she said a word that I couldn't make out at all, bringing me to believe that it was Japanese. It was understandable that they left out a voice over, however, since that's the only thing that she's verbally said so far. Other than that, it's been trademark captions. ^_^ [color=teal][EDIT: I've concluded that she did not speak in Japanese after all. It was most likely something like "Hoy!" which the characters seem to say a lot.][/color]

The next thing was the expressions on the characters faces. When you first see link, he looks half asleep, which Aryll rightly comments on. Link's face later makes an obvious adjustment when he was surprised. This, I believe, is what Wind Waker is all about -- the simplistic reality to the cartoon visual engine.

For the controls, so far so good. It feels so easy to execute each button, even when I'm going through the captions.

Overall, the game looks absulutely brilliant, even before I've yet to actually walk around with Link (yes, I named him "Link" -__-). I just wanted to post some quick first impressions for everyone. :)

[color=teal]EDIT: Another point I would like to make which ties into first impressions is the sound. They have sound for so many things that it's mind boggling; it reminds me of SpongeBob Square Pants sound effects in a way. They go in with the game very nicely, and keep the cartoon feel to it. It just sounds so...natural.

And the camra!! Anyone who's played this so far know what I'm talking about. The camra engine in this game has been [i]greatly[/i] improved. While you used to only be able to go first-person outside, you can now only go first-person inside now, which is actually a lot better. Outside, you can move around the C control stick however you like; left, right, zoom in, zoom out. It's literally heaven compared to the N64 prequals.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]26th? I thought it was the 24th[/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe it is just the 26th where I am at. It said on my preorder that it is avalible the 26th. I scanned it and it says the 26th, but that may just be because Wal-Mart never gets thier games in on the offical release date.

[color=indigo]The official release date was the 24th, but most stores aren't selling it until the 26th. This happens with lots of games.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get my copy tomorrow. I'll just have to wait and see if all the old stuff I have to sell will be worth the $30 I need. (I was going to sell the stuff to get a GBA SP, but since my brother hasn't paid me yet, I figure I'll just use the money to get The Wind Waker, and then use the money he owes me to get a GBA SP when he pays me).[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kizu [/i]
[B]Maybe it is just the 26th where I am at. It said on my preorder that it is avalible the 26th. I scanned it and it says the 26th, but that may just be because Wal-Mart never gets thier games in on the offical release date. [/B][/QUOTE]
Nah, I got that exact pre-order. It doesn't neessarily mean the 26th, they are just giving themselves time to get the game. For my local Walmart, they got it on the 25th, so I picked my game up today. Strange...it says the 26th, but I got mine the 25th, heh. Forget what it says on the pre-order and focus on the earliest date that you hear it will be released, then just call them until they get the game in. :)

Evil Wal-mart, making me wait 2 days longer than I had to. Now that I know it is out, I am going to have a hard time at school knowing that WindWaker is out, and I MIGHT get it. If my mom can remember to get it after work I will be extremely happy. I am not going to get very much sleep. 3:00pm to 6:00 pm is going to be really suck, while I wait for my mom to get home.

[color=indigo]Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if everywhere sold out on the first day that they have it. It was like that with Ocarina of Time. You pretty much had to have a pre-order if you wanted a copy from the first shipment of games. I remember I tried going around looking for a copy the day after it came out, and I couldn't find one anywhere. I had to wait a few days for the next shipment to come in.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[color=indigo]...the day after it came out...[/color][/QUOTE]

That's why lol. Retailers also seem to order a lot more games now than they used to, especially for what is basically GC's biggest release yet.

I've gotten Metroid Prime and SMS easily the morning they came out without a preorder, and I'm sure I could do it again tomorrow if Best Buy screws me over. Just call around, especially at Walmarts and smaller stores. I always manage to find a game I'm looking for that way.

If you go for it at night though... might miss out, might not. Walmart tends to order tons of copies, at least around here. You might be fine.