Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Has anyone ever realised that the word "Otaku" is more and more commonly being used. For example, not naming any names, a person I know said that they were an Otaku, yet could not name more than six animes.

I think the overuse of this word is getting out of hand. What do you think?
Posted
It is and it isn't. There are many ways Otaku is used. It can mean anything from an anime otaku...to someone who just is a nerd or doesn't have a life. (If I'm not mistaken) So I mean yes it is in the sense of Anime Otaku but other ways not really..
Posted
[color=indigo]I don't think it is so much over-used, as it is misused. People probably aren't clear with its full meaning, and thus don't use it right. Happens with a lot of things.[/color]
Posted
Yes, I just proved that, didn't I? ::Shakes head:: I feel like such a fool. Anyway, misused is another good word for it, but lately the number of people claiming they're Otakus is very un-nerving...
Posted
The people that claim to be Otaku's want to feel powerful when they're not and when they tell people that can't see if they're lying that they are Otaku's, well, that plainly makes them feel almighty and strong. It's goofy.
Posted
Not much people I know use the word....in fact, I haven't heard anyone else use it apart from me, and the people on these boards of course. So I don't think it is in certain places, and then again it is in other places.

(hope that made sense) o.O
Posted
People don't understand the meaning of Otaku.... it means Nerd... whichever way you look at it, thats it's meaning... except for the "Your House" meaning, but thats not used alot.

Whether or not people are calling themselves Otaku is not relevant. It's the fact that they don't even understand the meaning which is the problem here... Oh well, if anyone calls themselves an Otaku and is proud of it, then so be it... they just show me how little they do know...
Posted
I have seen it several times in places I would not expect. One was in a car magazine and the use of the word there was so wrong that It confused me and I had to read the article several times to understand what they meant. So yes i think it is getting over used. Mainly by people like Mike Tyson who try to use big words when they dont know what they mean.
Guest Raven131
Posted
Some kids like to call themselves "Otaku" if they may have seen every episode of DBZ or pokemon but may know nothing about the "real" anime world. What I mean is that just because you love one anime doesn't mean you nessacarly like anime as a whole. So even in they're an expert on some shows, they're no otaku.
Posted
I say, let them call themselves what they want. It's their business if they want to be known as a anerd/geek/dork/what have you.

-Justin
Posted
I know what you mean Raven, Bad thing is they have only seen all the episodes of the butchured, "Dubbed" versions. But its like those kids who buy a skateboard and call their selves extreme skaters...when all they do is go out and skate around the local parking lot.
Guest JinjistMataku
Posted
'Otaku' mean 'Anime Freak', right?

Someone in room on mIRC say that.

[i]Jemn[/i] :babble: Someone somewhere else say something else
Posted
[color=coral]Otaku is basically interpreted in the west as meaning "hardcore fan".

And really, in that sense, it's a subjective word. Even if you only know of two different animes...you might be a really ultra hardcore fan of both.

So I think that people can really determine on their own whether or not they are an otaku.[/color]
Posted
*eyes thread* I [B]think[/B] I can be constidered an 'otaku'. Yay! *dances around with Jojo the Hawkmon plushie*:D :excited:
Posted
Aren't we a bit hyper? Yes, I think that you can be an Otaku by just loving and knowing all about two, but the person I talk about claims to be an Otaku and out of those six series he/she could name, he only knew three character's name out of all the shows. I live in a very ignortant location, so alot of terms are overused and misused...
Guest Voodookanaka
Posted
Otaku's also a subculture movement similar to cyberpunk but more acid ravey, no its true....yes i know im sad but it came up on my art proggy.
Posted
[SIZE=1]... But it's not a good thing to be called an otaku, so why would people call themselves an otaku? If they do, then they're stupid idiots, that is if they don't know the meaning. If they do then... then they're weird....[/SIZE]
Posted
[color=teal][size=1]Well, if you wanna get technical, then we're all saying we're otakus everytime we post on these [i]otaku[/i]Boards. I mean, someone could come looking at this board, see it labeled as otaku, and would make a fair assumption that we all consider ourselves that title.

I say this board is practicing false advertisement. But that's just if you wanna get technical.:)[/color][/size]
Posted
I personally hope that the 'incorrect Western' definition for otaku gets as disseminated as possible ;).

But I personally wouldn't want to call myself an 'otaku'.

"Hi, my name is Adam, I'm an otaku, nice to meet you."

No! It's just as bad as if I had said:

"Hi, my name is Adam, I'm a web-master, nice to meet you."

Gross.

-Adam
Posted
[color=teal][size=1]Hey, being a webmaster is cool; you just gotta say it different:

"Hi, I'm Adam, I own [i]and[/i] run a highly successful web site, and still have time for a real job."

You [i]do[/i] have a real job, right? j/k, please don't kill me...[/color][/size]
Guest Voodookanaka
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Char! [/i]
[B][color=teal][size=1]Hey, being a webmaster is cool; you just gotta say it different:

"Hi, I'm Adam, I own [i]and[/i] run a highly successful web site, and still have time for a real job."

You [i]do[/i] have a real job, right? j/k, please don't kill me...[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

To which you would get the reply, '':sleep:'' ''uhuh, has that line ever worked for you?'' or '' um, was u picked on as a child?'', ''How the hell did you get dates in highschool?'' or something to that respect.
:D
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...