OtakuBoards

A little idea to clean up post content.

Guest SunRiZe

Guest SunRiZe
It is my belief that if Otakuboards had a mandatory spellchecker - type applet, then alot of the bad posts coulde be cleaned up quite considerably. A way we could do this is attach it to the post reply/thread button, so that instead of a message saying, "you will now be taken to your post, it takes you to a spellcheck. Even the most fluent members of these boards will typo at some point in time, it's just a suggestion :)

[color=blue][size=1]Yeah, that's a good idea. I hate it when someone posts so bad that you can't even fathom what they are trying to say. Is it possible to have a spell checker put in though (I don't know anything about all that)?[/size][/color]

Actually, yes, it is possible to put a spellchecker on a Vbulletin board, but it would only be an option in your post, thus rarely will the members use it if its not something like in a spar or RPG. But it would be nice to have at least in the RPG and Spar sections... because some of the members can't spell to save their life. No offense to those that apply, but just saying...

[b]I agree with Valen. Since the spell check wouldn't be automatically used on every post a person made, I doubt a lot of people would really bother to use it except for the RPG and Spar forums.

I think a problem with the spell check in RPG forums is that it may pick up any "exotic" names a person is using and ask if they want them corrected.[/b]

[color=blue][size=1]Most people who post with poor quality can spell reasonably well, but just can't be bothered cleaning up their posts. So if they can't be bothered posting well, they most likely can't be bothered using a spell checker.[/size][/color]

Oo;; Spellchecker? Automatic? Where?! It would be nice to have one of those. Even though I can normally find my mistakes, some slip through and it drives me insane. Simple, common things, such as hte, or nda. Drives me completely batty. *shrugs* oh well. I can live without one, because most people wouldn't use one even if their life depended on it.

There definately isn't an automatic spellcheck... I go back to my posts and fix up small spelling mistakes constantly.

I agree with an above post. If people aren't going to bother to write decently, they won't use a spell checker at all. I don't think that's really the issue though.

In terms of people here who write well and would like it to just catch their small mistakes, I would think it would be a nice thing to have. However, I don't really think that any web based spell checker is going to do a lot of good, especially with odd names people use here and in RP games (the thing would want to check every single one of them). For basic words, people probably know what to mean anyway.

If all else fails, type your more important stuff in some sort of word processor and then paste in into the reply box. Saves some problems, and if the spelling and grammar are [i]that[/i] vital to your post, you probably won't mind the extra time it takes heh.

::looks aroud for spell checker::

Automaticly parse URLs - no
Emale notificaton - no
Disable smilys in this pots - no
Show signachoor - no

Yes, I spelld incorrecly on purpus. If teh spel-cheker can't cach these mispelings then there obviusly isn't a spel-cheker - at leest that I can see...

It wold be a goood idea, tho. Mabe yusers can have a custom speling dictonary like Microsft Word's, wich woud avoid problems in RPGs and spars. If posibel make it automattic, or change the "Sumbit" button to "Spelchek" and make the submet a small link.

The spellchecker would be useful for typos and misspellings, the annoying (to me) pseudoword "prolly", and catching l33t-ers (or users who abrvt thr posts lk ths).

Hmm...maybe "preview" invokes the spell-checker? Nope, it doesn't. (Off-topic: spell checker [i]n.[/i] Harry Potter's teacher.)

Not that anyone is suggesting this, but if someone is thinking about having a built-in spellchecker automatically run on each post and correct spelling errors, I'd say think again. That is an extremely dangerous idea. The reasons are obvious.

And if not, then you can probably ask CWB. :D (sorry, bad inside j/k)

Tell him I sent you! *lol*

[color=red] I've already asked this before, it didn't happen then. So I doubt it would happen now. But I would like a spell checker, but, hey, I'll just use Microsoft Word to spellcheck if I really think I need to. That method works well, unless you're lazy, that is.[/color]

...oooo very nice touch MathGuy...

Regarding the initial question, spell checking is by no means somthing manditory. Shouldnt be either, why? If you cant use a program like microsoft word, or such, than there would be no reason to spell check.

If you cant 'afford' microsoft word, or do not know how to attain illegal copies of it, than go here: [url]www.openofice.org[/url]
its a site, that has a rather professional FREE office suite..spell checker included! *thumbs up* It also exports in Microsoft word format... BONUS! :-D