OtakuBoards

Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion

James

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=indigo]I don't know about any of the new weapons and stuff, but I do know a bit about the story...

The game starts with Samus traveling on a space ship, which gets attacked by a lifeform called X... Samus is mortally wounded, and only survives by taking the Metroid Vaccine (I'm not sure, but I think I heard that this gives her some funky new abilities or something). After this, she's able to battle the lifeform known as X... And that's about all I know... You can go [url=http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=766&showMe=1]here[/url], though, to find screen shots and a video clip from [url]www.nintendo.com[/url].

I'm really looking forward to this game, though, because I really enjoyed Super Metroid. I got it for Christmas one year, and I was playing it for months and months. (Okay, so part of that was due to the fact that I was young and wasn't very good back then, lol). :toothy: But anyway, we can expect the same sort of game as the original three, since it's being developed by the original Metroid team, like CrimsonDragon said. I'm definitely buying this game, it looks like it's even going to be as good as Super Metroid![/color]

Guest ProudClod
I guess this will be a great game, and a definate buy for most people, I know I'll get it. But it doesnt look that much original, it looks very much like the SNES version, just a few changes maybe, as said before. I can see that the enemies look very much the same as before, just different colours, Id like to see some new ones, especcially bosses.

btw. Is that Samus' new costume? it looks cool...almost like shes one of the....aliens.......

[color=indigo]Not that much original?! It's the same type of game as the first three Metroid games, but that doesn't mean it's going to be the same as them. There are already a few new gameplay mechanics added that we've seen, and there are probably be more. Also, there'll be new weapons, and stuff like that. It sounds like it'll be on a totally new planet, so you'll be exploring totally new areas... From what I've heard and seen, it looks like it's going to have quite a bit added, to make it stand out from the other Metroid games.

Just look at this screen shot:

[img]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/e3/metroid_fusion/e3_metroidfusion_gba_ss16.jpg[/img]

There's one new ability right there... Hanging from the ceiling (obviously only some ceilings, but it's still cool). I've also seen screen shots of Samus climbing up ladders, and hanging off a ledge. There's probably even more abilities than this, that we just haven't seen yet. I don't think this game is going to be too similar to the other Metroid games, it looks like there's going to be plenty of new stuff.

Also, what to make of this?

[img]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/e3/metroid_fusion/e3_metroidfusion_gba_ss11.jpg[/img]

To me, it looks like there are two Samuses there... On the left, it looks like Samus from Super Metroid wearing the Varia, and on the right it looks like Samus in her new suit, charging up a shot, or something like that... I'm very curious as to what exactly is going on in that screen shot.[/color]

[color=seagreen]Edit: Okay, I just watched the trailer again, and at the end it shows you standing there, and then the Samus on the left in the screen shot runs onto the screen, shoots you, and then you die... This raises a few questions, first of which on my mind is: Is there a Vs. mode? Other than that, the only thing I can think of that would explain it, would be if there was an enemy that imitated you... But, then wouldn't it look like you, and not the Samus from Super Metroid? ...So many questions... :cross:[/color]

Alongside Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, Metroid Fusion is the GameBoy Advance game that I'm awaiting with the most anticipation.

Due to the fact that it's being developed by the team responsible for Samus' earlier adventures, I'm sure that it will have the dashing charge jumps and diagonal ice shots that I've heard are absent in Metroid Prime.

No doubt it would be a nice innovation to see the link cable come into play, allowing gamers to duke it out, like Desbreko hinted at.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I'm really looking forward to this game, though, because I really enjoyed Super Metroid. I got it for Christmas one year, and I was playing it for months and months. (Okay, so part of that was due to the fact that I was young and wasn't very good back then, lol). :toothy: But anyway, we can expect the same sort of game as the original three, since it's being developed by the original Metroid team, like CrimsonDragon said. I'm definitely buying this game, it looks like it's even going to be as good as Super Metroid![/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I remember Super Metroid. I think I got it for Christmas along with Yoshi's Island. They're still two of my favorites. I would still play Super Metroid once in a while, but the save files are always erasing.:( Metroid for nintendo was pretty good, too. It had a few glitches in the programming, though.

It's funny how much is being added to Metroid Fusion that is so unlike past Metroid's... and people are complaining (or were it seems) about Prime. Anyway...

It seems the bigges thing in this game is fusion (well it IS in the title heh :whoops: ). Anyway, from what I had originally heard, Samus was fused with a Metroid... resulting in her current form. I guess this would be known as the "Metroid Vaccine" that Desbreko mentioned. It also seems that Samus' ship also fused with some sort of alien.

I know this for sure though... When Samus kills an alien, it morphs into a strange form that looks like a blob I guess. In most movies and shots the "blob" was a reddish or violet color. Apparently, if Samus catches these blobs they will replenish her health, weapons, etc, by fusing with her (for example, Samus gets her Bomb ability by fusing with a defeated enemy). If she doesn't catch them in time though, they turn back into another form of alien.

The only thing for sure that I see has returned is the Super Bombs. Everything else looks changed, and reminds me of games like Prince of Persia...grabbing onto ledges and monkey bar type things. Which is just WEIRD. How can she grab onto things with two hands, when one of her hands is a [I]gun[/I]?

As for the ending I don't know. Multiplayer simply doesn't fit Metroid in any way. Samus is a loner, and always was. Also what could it possibly be like? I guess you could both race to goals, or play co-op...but a co-op Metroid game would just be so demanding. And besides that video suggests the "other" Samus is an enemy. If it was just some sort of deathmatch, then blah. There just isn't enough room on the GBA screen with those big sprites to do that. It would just be you pushing fire at another person across from you. Not fun.

There are other possibilites though. 1.) That's some sort of alien that can take on any form (which is already shown by those other transforming aliens all over the planet). 2.)It's whatever killed her in the first place, and it somehow can take her form. And I guess the most controversial of all would be that 3.) you aren't playing Samus at all. I don't quite believe this, as you do see Samus out of her suit when she explodes, just like in Super Metroid. But, last I saw Nintendo has yet to official call the playable character in MF "Samus". So who knows.

Another explanation could be that it is another bounty hunter... But that doesn't explain the suit. Last I heard, Samus was given that suit by the Chozo...so really no one else would have one. Who really knows though? :D

I cannot wait for this game. MF and MP both come out on November 18th :).

[color=indigo]From what I understand about the Metroid series, Samus wasn't given the suit, she found it. The Chozo advanced so far, technologically, that they decided to withdraw and just observe the other races, and they left behind cool stuff like the power armor that Samus wears. (This would explain why the Chozo statues are almost always holding an upgrade or something, and are on multiple planets, such as Zebes and SR388). And, if they left behind one suit, couldn't they leave behind another? We really don't know if Samus' suit is a one-of-a-kind thing, or if there are more. So, it is a possibility that it is another person with another suit.

Personally, I really don't think they'd include a multi-player mode. You're right, Metroid is a single player game, and should stay that way, and I think the developers are of similar mind from what I've heard. Of course, that was about Metroid Prime, so I could be wrong...

But yeah, how [i]does[/i] she use her right hand to climb up ladders and stuff? You can tell she's using her right hand to hold onto the ceiling in that one scene, but if her gun is on that hand, she shouldn't be able to hold onto anything with that hand... Weird...

*looks up the fact sheet about the game on [url]www.nintendo.com[/url]* Duh, why didn't I think of this sooner!? Okay, you can view the fact sheet [url=http://www.nintendo.com/news/news_articles.jsp?articleID=6738]here[/url].

Okay, it says that it's one player, so no multi-player mode. It also says that it's Samus that gets attacked by X, on her way to SR388 (the Metroid homeworld) with an exploration team. So yes, that is Samus that you're playing as.[/color]

• 3 months later...
I can't find a thread on Metroid Prime (there is only an older one on Fusion). Anyway, I'm sure most people know plenty about this game already. I'm mostly posting to let everyone know that Nintendo has put new demo discs in at stores like EB and Gamestop, which have the playable MP level from E3. The disc also has a SMS demo and Mario Party 4, Metroid Prime and Nightfire videos.

I'm going to EB to pick up Suikoden 3 tonight, so I'm hoping I can check the game out. Prime and Fusion both come out November 18th, along with Nightfire, Medal of Honor and RE: Zero. Expensive day.

Metroid Prime also has a theatrical trailer that will be shown in the future. It's mostly live action, but cuts to gameplay video rather seamlessly. IGN had the commercial first, but now [url]www.planetgamecube.com[/url] has it too, I think lol. It's kinda cheesy in some small ways, but it's still one of the best game commercials I've ever seen.

[url]www.metroid.com[/url] has a nice video as well... It's the same one that was on the last GC demo disc.

I guess we might as well turn this into the official thread of sorts, so post away :).

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Oh man, I am SOOOOO waiting for this game. It's gonna be SWEEET!!

Umm. . the above line was me just messing around. . no rolling your eyes at me ^_^ I am really looking forward to this game, and while I have not gotten the GBA - GAMECUBE link, I might get it if the two show enough promise (Bah. . what am I talking about, I will most likely get both, and the connector . . )

As for the demo disk -- I am really interested in getting my hand on that ^_^ I will have to run in there. Are they releasing any to the public? I know some demo discs are just for store use only. . but I suppose you would know better ^_^

Blah~[/SIZE][/COLOR]

All demo discs from Nintendo are for store use only. In fact, Nintendo is being particularly picky about this one and supposedly wants them all shipped back in 2 weeks. I don't know what Nintendo does with the old ones, but whatever lol. If you work at those stores sometimes a manager might hook you up. The Nintendo reps installing one might even give you a spare disc if you ask.

I didn't get to play it tonight :(. I bought Timesplitters 2 and played multiplayer like 30 times. Game is fun as hell. I love the monkey haha.

I actually managed to snag a video of someone playing the Metroid Prime demo for like several minutes (the demo cuts out after 10 minutes, no matter how far you are). So basically it's 10 minutes containing the extra movie and most of the demo. Pretty cool heh.

Metroid Prime is indeed my most anticipated game of this year. Therefore, I must [b][i]force[/i][/b] my fiends who have GCN to get the game IMMEDIATELY...if they don't do it themselves. Not only do the graphics look absolutely amazing, but the set-up looks great as well. I mean to say, with all of that stuff around the "visor" in first-person, this is sure to give Halo a run for its money. I have also found through reading internet sites and gaming magazines that the levels will be pretty large. Can you say...explore? (not literally v_v)

Although I do not have GCN to get Prime, I [i]do[/i] have GBA to get Fusion. I am really hoping that this game lives up to what I've heard thus far about it's predecesors, mainly Super Metroid. With the 2d system, Fusion can use some great classes techniques that made Metroid a hit in the first place. I'm putting some high standards on this game, and I'm really hoping that Fusion turns out good.

I don't know jack about this game. IGN and Gamespot are mad grimmey not unlocking a single article of it including the first gameplay info. All I know is that its a first person shooter and it turns 3rd person when you switch to the ball. (Can someone fill me in? Thanks!) I've just seen a pic or two but thats bout it. I don't have a gamecube cause that aren't any games that interest me as much as my PS2. (Halo-Box is is even worse...) But it seems the GCN is beginning to catch my eye. I'll wait til I hear reviews for it... I'm gonna be a little cautious about this game coming out of hibernation for the past few years now.... (Jesus.... Shinobi didn't even get a decent grade!)If its good... I'll be sure to buy the whole set (I ain't worried bout getting one... my links always come through for me ;) )

A lot of people seem to go nuts if you call Metroid Prime a FPS instead of a First Person Adventure... I personally couldn't care less either way.

Anyway, what you said is basically how it is. Unlike most first person games like this though, the controls are much different. The game doesn't use a standard FPS setup with the two sticks and all that. According to people who played it, it controls more like Goldeneye (the default controls) or Ocarina of Time. I'll have to play it myself to see.

If you want free Nintendo media and impressions, or whatever else... Go to [url]www.planetgamecube.com[/url] or [url]www.n-sider.com[/url]

Between those and a few others (mainly French sites for media), there is little need for IGN as it is heh.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Hmm. . My favorite character would be Jake Fenton. His special abilities don't really stand out much compared to many of the others, but I just prefer his look to most of the others.

I really like the animation in the game. The selection of weapons are great without getting too many weapons in there that are really off the wall. The amount of characters is mind boggling O.o I have only unlocked about 1/3rd of the characters =)

As for multi player games. . we spent two days straight playing 4 - player. . totally awesome! Like playing Bond *drools* Not sure how many games I have played, but me kill to death ratio is like. . 4200ish to 420ish.

As for Metroid, I am really excited to see what their control feature is. I didn't really think about it till you mentioned them Semjaza, lol. Shows how little I pay attention to anything =)

Oh well, I will have to wait and see how it plays out. . but I am confident that Nintendo wouldn't hurt a classic like Metroid ^_^ I will be happy with them, I am sure. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=royalblue]Actually, I had quite a major Metroid Prime thread a short time ago...with lots of screenshots and details.

Anyway, yeah...best to think of this game as a "first person Zelda". The game really does control much like Zelda and in terms of exploration and objectives...I wouldn't call it a standard FPS-type game. At least not in the vein of Goldeneye or TimeSplitters.

I'm certainly looking forward to it...it's definitely on my top five list right now. [/color] :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]Anyway, yeah...best to think of this game as a "first person Zelda". The game really does control much like Zelda and in terms of exploration and objectives...I wouldn't call it a standard FPS-type game. At least not in the vein of Goldeneye or TimeSplitters.[/color][/B][/QUOTE]
I agree. Comparing Goldeneye and Metroid Prime over and above the first person perspective is rediculous. It may feel the same for those of you who have motion sickness, but I believe that Metroid Prime's base is going to be exploring. Even if there is combat, it's going to rely on skill with different techniaues, rather than how fast you can pull the trigger, and then reload.

[url]http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/description.jsp?gameId=593#about[/url]

[quote]Players who own both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime will be able to access sweet special features by connecting the two systems using the Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance Cable. If you've completed Metroid Fusion, you can unlock the original NES version of Metroid in Metroid Prime. Just connect the two systems and you're ready to play. You can even save your game data directly to a Nintendo GameCube Memory Card.
After completing Metroid Prime and connecting the two games, you'll be able to play through the game wearing Samus's Fusion Suit from Metroid Fusion.[/qoute]

Pretty cool... Although I hope you can use the Fusion suit whenever you start a new game, and not just in the file you already finished.

[img]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/m/metroidprime96_gcn_ss12.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/m/metroidprime96_gcn_ss15.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/m/metroid_gcn_aug1_ss12.jpg[/img]

[img]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/metroidprime_100302_1.jpg[/img] I like this one, although I think IGN grabbed it from a low quality video (looks really familiar), which would explain it's crappy quality.

[img]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/m/metroid_gcn_aug1_ss14.jpg[/img]

Samus' suit is even more impressive in movies, as it has this nice reflective layer over it heh.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B][url]http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/description.jsp?gameId=593#about[/url]

[quote]Players who own both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime will be able to access sweet special features by connecting the two systems using the Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance Cable. If you've completed Metroid Fusion, you can unlock the original NES version of Metroid in Metroid Prime. Just connect the two systems and you're ready to play. You can even save your game data directly to a Nintendo GameCube Memory Card.
After completing Metroid Prime and connecting the two games, you'll be able to play through the game wearing Samus's Fusion Suit from Metroid Fusion.[/qoute]

Pretty cool... Although I hope you can use the Fusion suit whenever you start a new game, and not just in the file you already finished.
[/B][/QUOTE]
That's pretty cool. I knew there was going to be a hook-up, but I hadn't heard the specifics. I know -- I'll beat Fusion, and then I'll beat on my friends until they beat Prime. :P