OtakuBoards

Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion

James

Guest Solid Snake
[color=teal]Now heres what I like to see- more information and screen shots of what I believe is the most anticipated game of the year. Not only do the visuals look undisputedly stunning, but the fact that Retro uses each botton in a particular fasion letting you scan the area thuroughly, find weaknesses in bosses, and even activate locked doors is pure brilliance. I especailly like the way the game is known for switching from a 1st to 3rd person shooter when the environment or mission calls for such, setting an open-minded atmosphere. Oh, and that is only the beginning! I very much appreciate your kind work in informing us with this latest news. Keep the facts of E3 rolling, James; I'm sure no one here can say that they arn't thankful for your hard work.[/color]

:blah:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to admit...I'm impressed. Really, I would have been disappointed if I wasn't impressed with this game. Perhaps Metroid Prime will give the console first person shooter genre a shot in the arm. Besides Red Faction, I haven't played any real [I]"thinking man's"[/I] first person shooters in a while. Although combat intensive, this puppy'll most definitely have brains [I]and[/I] brawn.

I kinda hope the game doesn't come off too cinematic though. I doubt we'll see that though. Too much focus seems dedicated to the actual gameplay. Furthermore, it seems like the game will return to old school twitch-based gameplay. The one thing I didn't notice was mention of a run button. I hope everything isn't too slow. Then again, the roll function probably substitutes for the abilitiy to run.

I didn't notice anything about split screen multiplayer either. Oh well, when making a Metroid game, it's best to focus on the single player mode anyway.

[color=royalblue]Well yeah, this game has no two player mode...but it [i]is[/i] a Metroid game, just in a first person perspective.

That's why it's inaccurate to label it as a first person shooter. When you play it, you will notice that it feels very different to any FPS games. It literally [i]is[/i] a Metroid game in the first person.

The ability to strafe, flip and jump sideways when you target is really welcome as well...it should add a lot to the feeling of actually being "in" the game.[/color]

Guest Neo Bahamut
cool pics, u didn't manage to get a wee glimpse of resident evil did u and any snapshots of final fantasy cus if u did then please for the love of god show the world as i can not wait get my hands on these games, even though final fantasy is on the PS2 i would still prefer it on the cube right, im sure u agree. :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Neo Bahamut [/i]
[B]cool pics, u didn't manage to get a wee glimpse of resident evil did u and any snapshots of final fantasy cus if u did then please for the love of god show the world as i can not wait get my hands on these games, even though final fantasy is on the PS2 i would still prefer it on the cube right, im sure u agree. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=coral]Square didn't demonstrate Final Fantasy for GameCube. In fact, from what I've read, they haven't said anything about it.

I suspect that we'll see something of Final Fantasy either at Nintendo Space World 2002, or at Tokyo Game Show in October.

As for Resident Evil 0, I'll make a thread about that too...I'll make a few more E3 game related threads with specific info so that you have one place to read it all. :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]Well yeah, this game has no two player mode...but it [i]is[/i] a Metroid game, just in a first person perspective.

That's why it's inaccurate to label it as a first person shooter. When you play it, you will notice that it feels very different to any FPS games. It literally [i]is[/i] a Metroid game in the first person.

The ability to strafe, flip and jump sideways when you target is really welcome as well...it should add a lot to the feeling of actually being "in" the game.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, judging jumps in first person view games is typically a challenge in itself. The older Metroids contained a lot of platforming action from what I can remember. Even if jumping in the newest Metroid is easier, I'm willing to bet that platforming has been toned down a little to accomdate the view. Thus, it [I]is[/I] appropriate to deem it a first person shooter. It's just a little more flexible.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]

Thus, it [I]is[/I] appropriate to deem it a first person shooter. It's just a little more flexible. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=coral]Not at all, I think you're missing the point.

Just because the game is in a first person perspective, it shouldn't necessarily be classed as a FPS title. At this point, it's too early to say exactly how much jumping action there is -- but much of the game requires Samus to roll into a ball and physically move around the environment (in a third person perspective).

Labeling this game a first person shooter is a gross misrepesentation of what this game is about -- if you play it expecting a FPS, you'll find something quite different.

As I mentioned, it's more of a "first person Zelda" than anything -- it bears more of a relationship with a game like Zelda, than with a game like Quake, for example.[/color]

Ah I pretty much get what you're talking about. Jedi Outcast for the PC can be played in the first person perspective, but because of the vast force abilities at the player's disposal (running on walls, pulling a weapon out of an enemy's hands, soaring thirty feet into the air, etc) it's classified as an action game. I guess Metroid would be similar to Jedi Outcast, in that it is more of an action game despite its perspective. Seeing as how Zelda is an action rpg, this opinion shouldn't be too far off from yours. :beer:

I'm still intereted in seeing how much platforming action is involved though. Platforming is just as important to the classic Metroid experience as blasting mother brain is.

[color=indigo]There's just one thing I want to know about Metroid Prime... Will the wall jump be in it? That was one of the coolest moves in Super Metroid, and it let you get Missile upgrades and new weapons and all sorts of stuff before you're supposed to, if you're good at it (and you know about it). If it is in Metroid Prime, then there's is absolutely [i]no way[/i] anyone could possibly call it a FPS. Bouncing up a shaft, wall to wall (or just up one wall, if you're good), is something that generally isn't in FPS games...

One thing I was kind of worried about, though, was the matter of ammo. It turns out I was worried over nothing, however, because you have unlimited ammo for your beam weapons (as said above). I am [i]so[/i] happy about that! If you did have ammo for your beam weapons, that would limit the gameplay a [i]lot,[/i] in my oppinion... I remember busting into a room in Super Metroid, full of enemies, and just blasting them all to heck... Without having to care about conserving ammo... That, I think, is one of the best things in a Metroid game. Being able to totally trash a room full of enemies, and not have to care at all about having enough ammo left for the next room.

One thing I'm still hoping they bring back from the first three games, though, is [i]tons[/i] of secrets. I remember spending hours and hours searching for those last few Missile upgrades in Super Metroid... Searching every last inch of the game with the X-Ray Scope, Bombs/Power Bombs, and whatever beam weapon I happened to have on... Me and two of my brothers each had a saved game on it, and whenever one of us would find a new secret, the other two would go and get it too. that was really fun, even if it did take a lot of patients sometimes, because we'd kind of compete to find the most secrets. I'm not even sure if we ever did find all of the stuff or not, actually. I don't remember ever seeing "100% complete" or whatever it says in the ending, so there may still be stuff we never found...[/color]

[SIZE=1]I have Metroid II: Return of Samus... if Super Metroid is anything like that, then I'll know what you're talking about.

I only remembered that you could get beam upgrades, like a Plasma, Ice, etc. but I don't remember getting missile upgrades. In Metroid Prime, there are new weapons to find, not just upgrade, so I think there'll be no problem in the weapon department.

Metroid II is hard... [/SIZE]

[color=coral]Desbreko: One of IGN's staff mentioned that while exploring the very first environment...he spent 90% of his time just exploring...

Of course he came across enemies along the way, but he found that the deeper he dug...the more could be found.

In fact, he discovered that a small opening in one of the ventilation shafts could actually be pulled open...and Samus could actually crawl around inside to go to a completely new area of the level.

This is nothing but a Metroid game and nowhere near a FPS.

Metroid fans should be happy. :)[/color]

holy from poop, these graphics look amazing, they've certainly fully bought the aspect of a 3d super metroid, to be honest, I didn't think a 3d metroid would feel right, but after seeing those screenshots, well....

I have one question though, one would be how would samus be able to roll into a ball in first person view? surely you will be able to see anything with her visor?

[color=indigo]If the wall jump is in Metroid Prime, I suppose it'd have to switch to a third person view for that, too...

And when I said "Missile upgrades" I meant upgrades as to how many Missiles you can carry. You do get Super Missiles in Super Metroid, though, which are a stronger version of normal Missiles. And Power Bombs are bombs that hit everything on the screen in the same way that a normal Bomb does... only it hits everything on the screen, like I said... You also have to use Super Missiles and Power Bombs to open green and yellow doors, respectively, just like you have to use five Missiles to open a red door.

And I don't doubt that there will be lots of exploration, I'm just hoping that there'll be as many or more secrets than the previous Metroid games to go along with all the exploration. And I don't mean just secret areas of a level, I mean hidden items, Energy Tanks, that sort of thing...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]
I have one question though, one would be how would samus be able to roll into a ball in first person view? surely you will be able to see anything with her visor? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=coral]When she rolls into a ball, the camera pulls back into third person view.

You should watch the trailer -- the shots are nothing compared to seeing this game moving.[/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]The game looks jaw-droppingly, eye-poppingly, gorgeous. Samus rules, and this game will too. From what everyone here is saying, the game will be huge! James, or anyone else, do you know if they are planning on using one disk or two?

Regardless, I am very much looking forward to playing this game non-stop till I have it mastered (I know. . probably not possible). Oh well. . I am sure that the game will be a huge hit for the GAMECUBE. I really hope that I will have enough time to dedicate myself to this game ^_^ instead of just having to . . what's the word. . work?! Perhaps I will just ask off the day or two after it's release.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

dear god, look at these screen shots, I'm definately going to have to watch the video later on....

[IMG]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/e3/metroid_prime/e3_metroidprime_gcn_ss09.jpg[/IMG]

just look at that detail, you can even see her face through the visor!

[IMG]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/e3/metroid_prime/e3_metroidprime_gcn_ss07.jpg[/IMG]

why does that yellow stuff remind me of suer metroid? hmm....

[IMG]http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/gamepage/gamecontent/images/e3/metroid_prime/e3_metroidprime_gcn_ss06.jpg[/IMG]

from this pic you can see that samus is looking to the left of her visor, and it seems this time round she has been given an enemy radar, as can be seen on the top left of her visor....

all I can say about prime is oh lordy I want this game!

[B][color=coral]You [i]still[/i] haven't seen the video, Seph?!

You must! Go to the E3 site and download it before Nintendo shut the site down (the E3 site is only up temporarily). ;)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I just watched it, here's my reaction to the video....

:love2: :drool:

heh heh, pretty self explanatory....

Guest Morph
[size=1] Well James, I tried and you know my problem, I couldn't seem to download Windows Media Player either... Boy oh boy does this stink. Is it possible to re-format it for a Real Player One? If so, please can someone do that, because I need to see the Metroid Prime trailer!!!! Need Metroid...Need MORE!

[b]-Forte; Donut Armada Leader[/b][/size]

I just watched that vidoe and it is sweet. the first 3/4th are a bit strange, though the last bit where it really show samus in the suit is bad a**. It is going to be a must have game for the future. It is to bad it won't be out for several months. When it does come out you will have to a copy reserved. Otherways you most likely won't be able to get the game for a while.

Guest ProudClod
many sources have told me that metroid prime is supposed to be a revolutionary [I]FPS[/I]. i cant see the metroid games being the same in this way, its things like the ball she rolled into and the cool jumps that made metroid what it is today.

there are some parts in the game where you will need to go 3rd person mode, like rolling, but i dont feel that there i much action there. i dont oppose the new fps look, heck, some of the ideas are very cool, like the scanner for example, you can detect enemies without seeing them.

without a doubt this is a cool game, its in its own league from the likes of halo or alien v predator, and thats only now! who knows what nintendo will bring in the future.

[color=coral]Well, once again, you can't really call it a FPS...nor can you compare it to FPS games. To do so would be unfair on all FPS games lol...Metroid Prime is [i]that[/i] good.

When you actually play the game, you'll notice the core differences...even if screenshots and video don't really relay those differences.[/color]

Guest ProudClod
[B][color=coral]Well, once again, you can't really call it a FPS...nor can you compare it to FPS games. To do so would be unfair on all FPS games lol...Metroid Prime is [i]that[/i] good.

When you actually play the game, you'll notice the core differences...even if screenshots and video don't really relay those differences.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I understand that doing is a whole lot different from seeing, and i have played the game at a local nintendo convention in a toy store (i was soooo surprised when i saw it, dunno how it got there, but.....). At the time, it was in the early stages of developement, so my metroid experience was not fully fleged, poor graphics and sound, lousy detail, etc. So "no", i havent noticed the differences of it compared to other fps games. I cant wait though. *checks schedules for nintendo conventions....aha*

• 4 weeks later...
I don't have alot of info on this game, so it wont be that much of an in-depth thread.
Ok, this game is being developed for the GBA by the same team that developed the old Metroid ventures, such as the amazing original for the NES. You will be givin new weapon, new gadgets, and new actions. The graphics are nice and crisp for a GBA title.
Anyway, it's slated for release, sometime in November, so get ready for another Metroid adventure.