OtakuBoards

Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion

James

Ah...I finally beat it a couple days ago, after getting it on Christmas. I suppose that I barely ever play GBA, and when I do, it's either at lunch in school, at the end of the last period of the day during announcements, and on the bus. Otherwise, it's very rarely when I'll pick it up at home when I have all of these other systems surrounding me. It's like, I only need it when I'm away from other electronics, lol.

Anywho, back on topic. I beat it in 5:05 with about 53%, which doesn't make any sense, because most of my time playing I was looking for items. o_O This was my first Metroid, and I must say, I was impressed. ^_^ The last part was hard at first, but when I figured out how to do it, it was very simple up to the last boss. Now to play/beat Metroid Prime! Hah, I finally got it!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=teal]Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. Is it just me or has anyone else heard Metroid Prime 2 is being developed for the Gamecube? I mean the first one hasn't even hit the shops yet here in England, but when it does I will surely be getting it!

Anyway, if this statement is true what does everyone else think about it? Do you think the game needs changing in anyway? From what I've heard it's either short or easy, but still good. :box:[/color]

Yeah, Nintendo has referred vaguely to it. IGNCube claimed that Nintendo was ready to announce it months ago, but for some reason that never panned out.

From what the rumors say, Retro is basically already at work on a sequel and basically all their resources are dedicated to it. Should be pretty damn impressive considering Prime was their first game.

Changing... I think there are many things that could make it better. Perhaps adding some extra areas and bosses that weren't totally required to finish the game (you wind up having to go almost everywhere in Prime). I'd really like some detailed texturing too, which would help a lot (the textures get blurred pretty bad up close, but they seem great otherwise). It'd take a hit in the framerate, but I don't know that I'd mind.

I'd also like Samus to turn a bit faster. That's about it. It's a real good game and I have no real complaints with it at all.

[color=indigo]Personally, I can't really see how you'd go about making the Metroid games into a movie. I mean, except for a bit in Fusion, there's barely any character interaction besides Samus blasting things. I can't see that making a very good movie. It sure hasn't made very good comics so far. (There are Metroid Prime comics in Nintendo Power, and they've been pretty boring so far).

As for another 3D Metroid on the GCN, that would be absolutely wonderful. I loved Metroid Prime, and consider it to be one of the best games on the GCN. (Tied for best with the OOT/OOT Master Quest bonus disc, heh).

As for changes to Metroid Prime... Yeah, there are a couple things I would change. First off, being able to costomize the control scheme would be nice. (I loved being able to change the controls around in Super Metroid). Like Semjaza said, it would be nice if you could turn a bit quicker, but I don't think that's a very big thing. In my opinion, the graphics were fine, even without being able to play it in progressive scan mode. (I think you've been spoiled by that, Semjaza, lol). Another thing that I'd like would be a wider variety of beam weapons. (I want my Spazer Beam, dangit!) :p And yeah, a bigger map would be nice. There were lots of places you didn't have to go in Super Metroid, but you got some cool stuff if you did.

But really, I don't have any serious complaints with the game. It's an absolute blast to play. I don't have any doubt that I'll be coming back to play through it at [i]least[/i] one more time, to get 100%. (I screwed up on my first time through, and forgot to scan one of the bosses, making it so I can't get 100%).[/color]

• 1 month later...
[color=#808080]Well, I've just gotten Metroid Prime (it came out a short time ago in PAL territories).

And what can I say...I'm having trouble writing an N-Sider PAL review because I'm finding it very difficult to avoid overstating the game's brilliance.

I can tell you one thing; I haven't been this impressed with a video game since Super Mario 64. And yes, that does include the time when I first played Ocarina of Time. When you consider that I'm a massive Zelda fan and that OoT was the first 3D Zelda game (and was virtually flawless), you get a sense of my feelings about MP.

This one game justifies Retro Studios to an insane degree. This one game also makes me [i]totally[/i] comfortable with Retro Studios "taking Rare's place", as it were. This one game is better than anything Rare have ever done (and better than half the stuff NCL itself has done). And I have zero hesitation in saying that.

So yeah, what else can I say? lol

I think Metroid Prime is now my new favourite game of all time. And if that stance doesn't hold until well after I've finished the game, then I think it will most likely be within my top three for a long time to come.[/color]

Heh.

I don't know that there would have been a perfect way to end this game. I honestly didn't want it to end, but of course it had to. I think anything short of the most groundbreaking boss battle EVER would have been a let down. That said, the last fights are certainly well done.

You should enjoy it all the way through.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#808080]Well, I've just gotten Metroid Prime (it came out a short time ago in PAL territories).

And what can I say...I'm having trouble writing an N-Sider PAL review because I'm finding it very difficult to avoid overstating the game's brilliance.

I can tell you one thing; I haven't been this impressed with a video game since Super Mario 64. And yes, that does include the time when I first played Ocarina of Time. When you consider that I'm a massive Zelda fan and that OoT was the first 3D Zelda game (and was virtually flawless), you get a sense of my feelings about MP.

This one game justifies Retro Studios to an insane degree. This one game also makes me [i]totally[/i] comfortable with Retro Studios "taking Rare's place", as it were. This one game is better than anything Rare have ever done (and better than half the stuff NCL itself has done). And I have zero hesitation in saying that.

So yeah, what else can I say? lol

I think Metroid Prime is now my new favourite game of all time. And if that stance doesn't hold until well after I've finished the game, then I think it will most likely be within my top three for a long time to come.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Heh, now you can finally see what we were all hyped up about earlier this year / late last year. Metroid Prime is, too, my favorite game of all time, which is pretty hot considering I made that decision after the first few hours of buying that and my GCN, when I've owned PlayStation 2 for over a year and it couldn't do anything close to that for me. In fact, I'd put all of my GCN games (I only have 4 so far) above every game I've ever owned. What do all you anti-GameCube people say to that? ;)

I think the most interesting point to note here is just how Retro Studios came about in the first place. This recently formed company over in Texas (not Japan!) had [b]never made a game before[/b], and here they come with this peice of art known as Metroid Prime, and they are famous. I think we will be seeing a lot of this company in the future, hopefully producing such awsome games for the GCN.

As for my progress in the game, I've taken a leave of absence in the world-wide debut of the new Zelda, which I will complete first before going back to Metroid. I have about 54% racked up, and after a quick look to see what I was supposed to go, I couldn't figure out what to do. Ah, but that is only a matter of time... :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B]What do all you anit-GameCube people say to that? ;)[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know that I've ever found an anit-GameCube person. :whoops:

Anyhoot, Metroid Prime is great. It's very atmospheric. Little touches, like the way Samus' weapon transforms after she shoots a missle (in true Super Metroid fashion), do wonders. Plus, I believe that a lot of the incredible atmosphere can be accredited to the visor. It really brings the player into the perspective.

The way that it displays ammo and all, is nice. It actually gives the information a credible reason to be there. It's not like "[i]Hey, this is a video game, here are your statistics![/i]" Plus, scanning really added to the experience. Gathering information wasn't tedious, as I initially thought it would be.

When I first played the game, and got a grip on the controls, everything felt familiar--and that was refreshing. The developers did an excellent job retaining the feel of the series. I still think that the configuration is a bit awkward, but once I became accustomed to it, it didn't get in my way.

Oh, and I know where you're coming from with catching up on Zelda. I haven't played my consoles in a while, so I'm really not progressing in the game as much as I'd like to. I hope I don't lose my rhythm with it. The SP seems to have become my favorite system. So, I've been neglecting to play everything else. I prefer Mario Kart Super Circuit over anything the consoles have to offer.

[color=indigo]Yeah, I didn't want it to ever end either, just like Semjaza. Metroid Prime is definitely one of my favorite games ever (though that list just keeps growing with almost every new game Nintendo puts out, heh). I'd say, for me, it's either equal with Super Metroid, or just below it. And Super Metroid is pretty high up on my list.

I still need to beat Fusion, though. I've gotten a ways in it, but I kept getting distracted by other games (Metroid Prime, Zelda: LTP/FS, Animal Crossing, Zelda: OMQ, Zelda: TWW). Maybe now that I got a GBASP, I'll finally finish it. It's been really fun for the parts that I've played, but I don't think it's as good as Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. It seems a bit too linear to me, and one of the things I love about the Metroid games is that they let you explore a lot. Fusion limits that a bit, but not so much that it doesn't feel like Metroid.[/color]

I felt the same about Fusion until I really sat down and played more when I got my SP. At first, the linearity feels limiting... but at the same time, it's not really any more linear than the other games, as the game was usually laid out in such a fashion that there was always one exact objective you had to do next. I guess they just sacrificed you figuring it out for yourself for story.

Anyway, once it gets going... it really picks up. SA-X is damn cool, and it adds this tension to it that other Metroids lack. The boss fights are great later on too, and are rather hard until you figure out their patterns.

I think you'll wind up liking it far more than you do now, in the end.

[color=indigo]Yeah, but the thing is, I don't like the tension part. The SA-X makes me too dang nervous, lol. I'm always wondering if it'll be around the next corner, or through the next door. I hate that feeling of being stalked. :nervous:[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Charles [/i]
[B]I don't know that I've ever found an anit-GameCube person. :whoops:[/B][/QUOTE]

Believe me, they exist. Though half of them haven never touched/seen one in their lives. >_>

Anyway, I'm proud to announce that I suck at Metroid Prime. ^_^ It took me 3 days of trying to beat Flaagrha. (gah, however you spell it.) u_u

ButI still think it's the best game I have! Well, besides SSBM. That can never be replaced. ^_^

[color=indigo]It's spelled "Flaagra." ^_^ And yes, Flaagra really is quite easy compared to most of the other bosses. Heh, have fun, I guess.

I've started playing Metroid Fusion again, and I've gotten quite a ways. Last thing I did was get the Plasma Beam, and now I'm heading into Sector 5 (ARC) to fight the Nightmare.

I'm thinking I've missed a couple Energy Tanks, though. I only have seven (meaning I have about 800 energy), and when I was fighting that spider boss to get the Space Jump, I'd die from only three times of it picking me up. As a result, I died three times before I really figured out how to hit the thing and avoid its attacks. I'm find this more annoying that just difficult. I mean, I can see the SA-X doing that much damage in a single missile hit (and it does), but only being able to get hit three times on a normal boss is a little much I think.[/color]

Well once you know what you're doing, you shouldn't even get touched by that spider... Let alone picked up by it.

It's similiar to Megaman games in that sense... You're probably going to die a few times at most of the bosses until you figure their patterns out. Then they are simple heh. I've found this to be true of most any boss in MF.

[color=indigo]Yeah, once I figured out what to do, it wasn't that hard. I ended up beating it with almost full energy. That's what I mean by more annoying that really diffucult, though. You die really quick the first couple times because you don't have time to figure out what to do, and then when you do figure out what to do, it's easy.[/color]

[color=#808080]Ohh, yes, I remember that boss.

It's especially nasty when you consider that the PAL version's default difficulty is the hard mode on the American version. o_O

I definitely found Flaagra to be the first real sign of difficulty in Metroid Prime. Thardus was also pretty tough. X_X[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]Anyway, Flagraa (I don't know how to spell it either) is ridiculously easy compared to some of the next bosses heh. [/B][/QUOTE]

...You have no idea how pleased I am to hear that. :rolleyes: My problem was that I kept running out of missiles too quickly. Probably 'coz he wouldn't keep still, so I kept wasting a couple of shots trying to stun him. >_<;; By the time it got to 4 mirrors I had about 4 missiles and about 50hp with no more energy tanks.

Oh, I simply cannot WAIT to fight Meta-Ridley and Metroid Prime. Same for the Omega Pirate. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#808080]
I definitely found Flaagra to be the first real sign of difficulty in Metroid Prime. Thardus was also pretty tough. X_X[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Thardus? I've heard that name before...He's that big rock guy isn't he? I think I saw a screenshot of him in my NGC mag...

[color=#808080]*nods* Yep. Thardus is that large rocky bastard.

I think it took me three tries to kill him. Which, in retrospect, isn't much (considering the heightened difficulty). However, at the time the battles were all quite long. He physically takes a while to kill, even if you can avoid dying.

My recommendation for dealing with Thardus is to have [i]plenty[/i] of missiles. Get as MANY missile upgrades as you can, because you'll need them. Later in the game, you consume missiles at a much more rapid rate (you'll see why) and Thardus really only responds to missiles (you can hurt him with regular beam weaponry, but it takes [i]ages[/i]).[/color]