OtakuBoards

Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion

James

*eyes go wide-eyed and begins to foam at the mouth*

metroid....prime.....awesome.....gurgle....aaaah....:eek:

translation: the game looks awesome, definately getting it, well, I was going to get it anyway being the huge metroid fan that I am....

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]*eyes go wide-eyed and begins to foam at the mouth*

metroid....prime.....awesome.....gurgle....aaaah....:eek:

translation: the game looks awesome, definately getting it, well, I was going to get it anyway being the huge metroid fan that I am.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yeah, I can't wait. :)

*sigh* I wish GameCube were coming out sooner over here lol. Playing Smash Bros. Melee and Luigi's Mansion for one day and then having to wait until May 17th is really not very fun...heheh.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=royalblue]Yeah, I can't wait. :)

*sigh* I wish GameCube were coming out sooner over here lol. Playing Smash Bros. Melee and Luigi's Mansion for one day and then having to wait until May 17th is really not very fun...heheh.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

may 17th? damn james, thats a longer wait than the UK, I think were getting it May 10, ir was it 5? damn this memory of mine....

[B]

may 17th? damn james, thats a longer wait than the UK, I think were getting it May 10, ir was it 5? damn this memory of mine.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]May 8th. ;)

Nintendo Australia has kept the date back to ensure an adequate number of units for launch.

Moreover, we [i]might[/i] be getting the Spice GameCube here in Australia...which would mean that only Japan and AU have that particular machine.

I can only hope that this will be the case...otherwise I will be crying myself to sleep for quite some time. :bawl: [/color]

[B]ugh, the UK is only getting a few different colour palettes to the game cube I think, I want a nice red one, it would fit well with metroid prime, heh.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]The UK is receiving Jet Black and Indigo GameCube consoles. Though I don't mind either colour...I'd like to have Spice.

And yes...red would be fantastic. I'd also like a silver one...like the one they showed at Spaceworld 2000. :tasty:

Anyhoo...probably best to return to the topic on-hand...hehe[/color]

heh, I guess your right, lol....

do you have any idea on how long the game will be? I know everything about the game has been kinda vague, but it would be nice to know that a game I am hoping to buy won't be completed in less than 8 hours like oh so many ps2 games....

[B]
This goes back to what I was saying to Masterfork about FPS games on PC being merely "visual updates with predictable gameplay". This doesn't mean that games like Duke Nukem Forever and such will be bad as such...but they will be predictable. I bet you can already assume what they will include.

Games like Goldeneye really demonstrated what can be done with the first person perspective. While Goldeneye didn't do anything so radically different, it still opened new doors in storytelling and gameplay for first person games
[color=royalblue].[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

And then, there's Deus Ex..:eek: .. sorry.. I just love that game.. a shame that the PS2 version doesn't include the health meter for each body area.

but enough about Deus Ex and PS2... and more about metroid and nintendo....

I'm looking forward to metroid prime, but then, I love any metroid game anyway... though I never did get the first one ... :( ....although to this moment I had no idea it was a first person game.. no problem though ;) it looks great

I've just read more swell news regarding the game. It's rumored that Metroid Prime will be compatible with the upcoming Game Boy Advance game, Metroid IV, adn will give Samus the powers she has in the handheld game(like the ability to walk on walls and ceilings). Heck, sounds pretty cool to me.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]I've just read more swell news regarding the game. It's rumored that Metroid Prime will be compatible with the upcoming Game Boy Advance game, Metroid IV, adn will give Samus the powers she has in the handheld game(like the ability to walk on walls and ceilings). Heck, sounds pretty cool to me. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yeah, I've heard about the two games being able to link up. The Metroid on GBA is actually Metroid IV...so it's a direct sequel in the series.

I think that should make Metroid fans froth at the mouth. ;):drool:[/color]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]To be honest, even from the first shots and movies I saw of Metroid Prime, I was really looking forward to this game. I am a big FPS fan, and involving the Metroid world into this was just icing on the cake. I then thought a minute about it, and figured - wait. . can they make Metroid work 3-D and FPS?? Then I thought about it, and figured - with Nintendo helping, and Retro working mainly on this, the answer was definitely YES.

As for the recent batches of shots, I am SOOOOOOO impressed with what they have done, and I really can't wait to see this new movie that they are going to put out. Even more, if I never see another shot or video on it, I honestly think that I will still get it! ^_^ Fanboy, sure, label me as you will. . but I can tell a good game when I see one, and this one looks GREAT! [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=deeppink]Well, I absolutely [i]despise[/i] FPAs in general. The only one I've ever really liked was the original DOOM, but only because that type of game was new at the time. And I do occasionally like to go a little Multiplayer in GoldenEye.

With that in mind, I'll now go into what I think about Prime...

I haven't read much about. I feel that I don't need to. I love Super Metroid, and more oftne than not, sequals of famous Nintendo genre games are great. I expect no less from Metroid, a very good genre.

The fact that it's a FPA never made me doubt the game. I always thought that even though it was one, Nintendo (or whatever the company is, I don't remember) would find a way to make it shine.

I only hope that it the fact that it [i]is[/i] an FPA won't make me hate the game when I get it.[/COLOR]

[B]

[color=royalblue]Yeah, I've heard about the two games being able to link up. The Metroid on GBA is actually Metroid IV...so it's a direct sequel in the series.

I think that should make Metroid fans froth at the mouth. ;):drool:[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]This is going to be weird... We're going to have Metroid IV, which is set after the first three games... Then we're going to have Metroid Prime, which is set before the first three games...

Having played the first three, which one of new ones do you play first? Do you find out what happens next, or what has happened? Do you play a 2D Metroid, or a 3D Metroid first?
AGH! TO MANY CHOICES!!! :worried:[/color]

[SIZE=1][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]eine meni mine mo, catch a tiger by his toe.............' yep that is how you decide. that or which one your store has in stock when you go ;)

i think id play the GBA one first thou cause the last one i remember was for SNES and i never actually beat all of it, i beat it but somehow it skipped a few levels for me. so i need to get back into the swing of things[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B]
[color=indigo]This is going to be weird... We're going to have Metroid IV, which is set after the first three games... Then we're going to have Metroid Prime, which is set before the first three games...

Having played the first three, which one of new ones do you play first? Do you find out what happens next, or what has happened? Do you play a 2D Metroid, or a 3D Metroid first?
AGH! TO MANY CHOICES!!! :worried:[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]What you do, is you buy both...and you lock yourself in your bedroom for a whole weekend.

You play the first three Metroid games again (to get an immediate feel for the story)...and then you play Metroid IV. After that, you finish by seeing how it all started (with Metroid Prime).

On Monday morning, you then go to school with black circles around your eyes. lol ;)[/color]

[SIZE=1]I really do love what they have done with the Metroid series, if you have played any of the previous games, you will notice the amazingness of this series.

I think that the visor-view thing is an excellent idea, you kind of get to interact with the monsters... well, before you kill them ;). Do any of you guys know what the visor displays, or is it just unreadable jabber?

One thing that I will miss about it is the lack of the 3rd person view. But you will just have to make do with the amazing 1st person view at the moment :smirk:.

I have another question for James, do you know if there are going to be specific missions, or are you free to wander around wherever you are? And, if there are missions, do you know what they will be based on (apart from killing Metroids ;))?[/SIZE]

[color=indigo]Considering that the game will have lots of exploration, I don't think it will be mission based. I sure hope it isn't... That would stink...

And I'm not to sure that you're going to be fighting Metroids... In Super Metroid, it says that Samus' first encounter with Metroids was on her mission in planet Zebes... In the first Metroid game for the NES. And Metroid Prime is set before the original Metroid, so I don't think that we'll be seeing any Metroids in Metroid Prime.
Of course, they could always change that... Which frequently happens with the Zelda series (since they set most of the newer game before the older games).
I think it'd be really cool if the game ended with the space pirate attack on the small earth colony (I forget the exact name), where Samus first encountered the space pirates. And maybe have the ending showing her entering planet Zebes, on her mission to destroy the Mother Brain (pretty much, show the very beginning of the original Metroid).
Ooooo..... That'd be cool. I can't wait for it to be released![/color]

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]... though I never did get the first one ... :( ....although to this moment I had no idea it was a first person game.. [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]If it is Metroid for NES you speak of, I do believe that it was entirely third-person, which is why a number of fans are trying to consider if it may be good in the first-person modes of Metroid Prime.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy[/i]
[B]I've just read more swell news regarding the game. It's rumored that Metroid Prime will be compatible with the upcoming Game Boy Advance game, Metroid IV, adn will give Samus the powers she has in the handheld game(like the ability to walk on walls and ceilings). Heck, sounds pretty cool to me.[/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=teal]Yes, it seems like a great number of games from GameBoy Advance are linking up to GameCube versions, and I suspected as much from Metroid. The techniques you learn from doing it sound great, especially that walking on ceilings and walls part, so this will definitely add an exciting chapter to the Metroid Prime game.

I really enjoy Metroid games, and I hope that Metroid Prime doesn't fall into a totally different category with it's new features. In addition to it's features, I would also like it to stay on a great storyline. Hehe, watching as you guys decide which to play first as to not ruin the series, it really takes us back to the good old days. [/COLOR]

:blah:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowGohan [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]

One thing that I will miss about it is the lack of the 3rd person view. But you will just have to make do with the amazing 1st person view at the moment :smirk:.

I have another question for James, do you know if there are going to be specific missions, or are you free to wander around wherever you are? And, if there are missions, do you know what they will be based on (apart from killing Metroids ;))?[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Well...the game won't "lack" a third person view. It will include a third person view in addition to a first person view. :)

As for your second comment/question...I'd say that either extreme would hurt the game.

Meaning, a total lack of missions would give the game no point or direction. You'd be wandering around aimlessly wondering what the hell to do. So some sort of guidance and general structure is needed.

Having said that, if the game is very linear and the missions are very tightly held together...that would totally ruin the game.

So a middle ground is needed. And I suspect that a middle ground is what we'll see.[/color]

I'll be reserving it as soon as I can. It's among my 4 most wanted games, and for good reason!

BTW, right now the release date is around November, and rumors say that it's probably coming on Turkey Day. (Yay! On my birthday!)

• 2 months later...
[color=red]I recommend that you stretch to full screen (or at least stretch your window wider) to view this thread, as the images are fairly large in size. :)[/color]

[color=royalblue]

Rather than dig up the old Metroid thread, I thought I'd create another one...with info direct from E3.

A lot has been revealed with regard to Metroid at this year's show. Not only has Metroid already been labeled "game of the show" by many, but some (including Steven Kent of MSNBC -- a major game journalist), are already saying that Metroid Prime could be "game of the generation".

Retro Studios and NCL (Nintendo Company Limited) have been able to shrug off the doubters -- people who looked at Retro's numerous "mass firings" of last year -- and they have been able to deliver a truly outstanding game.

The E3 build is the most complete yet and is also the first playable demonstration.

So, I know you're eager to know more...let me break down some of the latest information for you. :)

[img]http://www.nintendo.com/media/e3_2k2/images/metroidgcn/1.jpg[/IMG]
[/color]

[i]Impressions from Planet GameCube:[/i]
[QUOTE]For a game that has gone through as much turmoil as Metroid Prime, the nearly finished product is absolutely amazing. The control is spot on, using every button to some degree. The D-Pad changes Visor modes, and the C-Stick switches weapon modes. The Scanning Visor is very cool, allowing you to use the power of Samus? suit to analyze the environment, computers, enemies, just about anything. Scanning becomes very important as you progress, helping you disable missile turrets remotely, finding weaknesses is bosses, activating locked doors, etc. [/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]The visor modes are really one of the most fundamental aspects of the game. You are able to "scan" almost everything, which brings up various holographic displays in your visor. You can read all sorts of information on different objects and creatures.

Moreover, you can actually access long-dead computer records (as the game starts on a derelict spaceship) and actually read the documents on computers. Amazing, eh? ;)[/color]

[QUOTE]While Metroid fans have railed on the first-person nature of the game, it?s truly remarkable (and likely a testament to EAD?s involvement in the development) that the game has managed to recapture so much of the mystique of the series. Bombs launch Samus? ball form into the air, allowing her to reach higher places, the grappling beam launches her across gaps (very fun with that first-person perspective, you feel like you?re flying), shooting to open doors. [/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Once again, many Metroid purists complained about the first person perspective. But Retro has been able to implement it [i]very[/i] well, maintaining the core aesthetic and atmospheric aspects of the series.[/color]

[IMG]http://www.nintendo.com/media/e3_2k2/images/metroidgcn/2.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]But this game?s crowning achievement is the incredible detail in the game?s art and atmosphere, and specifically, in regards to the Visor. Samus? face can be seen through the Visor in cut-scenes, her eyes are reflected briefly with bright flashes of light, goo from enemies splatters onto it and drips down (while you?re fighting!), it fogs up in hot areas, with condensation drops running down it ? [/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Once again, a testament to the game's aesthetic design. Steven Kent of MSNBC even said that Hollywood could learn much from the creature/set designs in Metroid Prime.[/color]

[IMG]http://www.nintendo.com/media/e3_2k2/images/metroidgcn/3.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Having finished the demo, I can easily say that this game is going to be a must-buy for Metroid fans, and probably everyone else as well. It?s that good. Hell, good is a vast understatement. The game is an achievement and quite the rookie effort for Retro Studios. And if you just can?t accept the first-person view in this game, you can always get Metroid Fusion for your Samus fix. [/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]A happy gamer. :)

Metroid Fusion is of course the all-new GBA Metroid game.

One thing that I found especially interesting about Metroid Prime is the controls. Here's a basic rundown:[/color]

[QUOTE]We had heard prior to the show that strafing wasn?t possible in the current Metroid Prime burn, but that turned out to be completely false. Just hold down the L trigger and you can strafe left and right with the control stick. L also locks on to a target if one is near (available targets depend on which visor mode you?re in). Holding R causes Samus to bring her left hand up to steady the right arm blaster, and it hold her in place so you can use the control stick to aim. This works exactly like the aiming in Goldeneye 007, and since you generally use the mode to aim up or down, having her hand stabilize the arm immediately evokes the Metroid series. Tapping A will fire a standard shot, and in one of the tweaks that separates the game so much from other FPS?s, you have infinite shots of all your main weapons. This takes the focus off ammo management and puts it onto smart, quick targeting and evasion. You can also hold A to charge up a shot (again, for free), and any type of beam can be charged. Hitting Y once will enable missiles, which are of course expendable, and hitting Y again will fire one. I also learned that you can charge up a regular beam shot, then press Y instead of letting off A to shoot a special shot. It?s very slow to fire and appears to use up more than one missile per use, but the effects are extremely powerful and cool. Using the Ice Beam?s super shot covers the enemy and the surrounding environment in ice, whereas normally just the enemy itself is frozen. By the way, enemies can now die while being frozen, so attacking with the Ice Beam doesn?t necessarily translate to twice as many shots to kill each enemy.

B jumps. Yes, B jumps. I wasn?t sure if Samus would even be able to jump, but sure enough, it?s as simple as tapping B and works exactly like jumping in Turok?though the E3 demo thankfully doesn?t exhibit any signs of having Turok?s infamously frustrating jumping challenges. So far jumping is just a quick way to get up ledges; you can also bomb up to them. Pressing X will make Samus morph into the ?Morphball? and the camera to pull out into a third-person view. At that point, you can roll around freely and set bombs with A. Bombs are infinite in keeping with the series, but no more than three can be out at a time; a simple graphic in the upper-right corner indicates how many more bombs you can set before the previous ones go off.

The D-pad switches among Samus?s visor modes, and if the demo is any indication, you?ll be using that feature a lot. The currently available visor modes are Combat, which is the default one in which you can shoot at enemies, and Scan, which lets you examine objects, switches, etc. and also lets you look for enemy weakpoints. If you try shooting while in Scan mode, the Combat mode will automatically return, although you won?t be able to actually fire until it?s fully engaged. I?d say the lag is about one second; nothing major, but if you anticipate trouble, you can react much more quickly if you?re already in Combat mode. A graphic in the lower-right corner of the screen shows a map of Samus?s visor modes and which direction on the D-pad you need to press to activate each one.

On the other side of the controller, the C-stick switches among Samus?s weapons (which are all just different modes of her arm blaster). Switching takes maybe two seconds, so you don?t want to do it in the heat of combat if possible. The available weapons in the demo are the Power Beam, which is the standard shot that Samus has always had as default, and the Ice Beam, which should be pretty self-explanatory. The weapons also have a map for easy reference, this one in the lower-right corner of the screen. [/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]As you can see, the controls are certainly unique. The game has been described as a "first person Zelda" when it comes to fighting.

While this may sound strange, the general consensus so far is that it's genius. It works very well within the context of this game.

The controls also further underline the fact that the game [i]is not[/i] a first person shooter, but rather a "first person adventure".

The emphasis is definitely on exploration and adventure, rather than simple firefights.

To finish off this post...here is some more eyecandy from E3. :)[/color]

[IMG]http://www.nintendo.com/media/e3_2k2/images/metroidgcn/4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.nintendo.com/media/e3_2k2/images/metroidgcn/8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.nintendo.com/media/e3_2k2/images/metroidgcn/10.jpg[/IMG]

[SIZE=1]Whoa, those are some pretty cool pics. The graphics aren't brilliant, but they're good. I guess it'll look better in motion. :)

I also like the idea of scanning your enemies and your surrounding area for clues and weak spots in bosses, etc. I think it would be interesting, I like reading info on the enemies.

Sounds like it's going to be a very good game. :)[/SIZE]

Guest Morph
[size=1] Sheer madness, Retro Studios has out done themselves with this Metroid game. It seems like it will be the best one yet. Too bad I don't have a GCN, but my friend does, and since he and myself are huge nuts about Metroid, he will buy it, and I will play it all the time while I'm there.

The screen caps look very impressive, and the visor scan is also a great feature to add. The graphic and detail of Samus' enemies and surrounding is incredible. With all the different features and moves that it will have, it will be great. The best thing that I see in this game is the visor scan, looking at that one screen cap that you have posted James, it will be very cool. It has a full body scan in 3 different directions and it also has that DNA structure in the top right corner of all the screens, unless its something else, I thought it was that. This Metriod game for GCN looks [i]very[/i] promising...[/size]

Ah, once again, the good people at E3 allow us to glimps at such rare things of Nintendo beauty!(kiss my butt, Gates!)

Those screenshots are mind-boggling. I can't wait to see it in action. However, they do look a little dark to me. Did you see them that way, James, or is that just my eyes going all wierd again?

Again, wow.