OtakuBoards

About Gamecube online

SS5 Gogeta

I read somewhere in these forums that Nintendo's online plan included giving the company freedom to make their own server and charging it anyway they want. This type of plan will attract bigger companies that can afford it but smaller companies that can't afford it won't go with this plan. My question is that is Capcom, Namco, Sega, or Square big enough companies with enough money to make their own servers? and if you can I would like for you guys to name a few more companies that can.

It's really no different than what Sony is doing. Big companies as well as some smaller companies are putting online games onto PS2 with no problems really. Whether or not it will cost money to play each game is another story... For the most part everything I've seen on PS2 is free unless it's some sort of RPG. Sega is charing $8.99 a month over the Xbox Live fee for PSO... so I guess even that isn't protected from extra fees.

Capcom, Sega and Square all have their own online games up and running... In some cases for years now (at least in Japan, especially in Capcom's case). I don't see why they would have any problem dealing with online gaming on GC in these terms, as they all have online PS2 games coming up eventually. Like I said before, it's basically the same thing. I honestly wouldn't be too worried about smaller companies doing it either.

So yeah they can... Who's to say they will or not though. Nintendo is providing online information so that companies that want to can get online. It doesn't mean they'll bother, which is the main problem I'd say.

• 3 weeks later...
[color=indigo]Umm...the 56K modem and broadband adapter are already out for the GCN. It's just that the only game for the GCN that supports online play is PSO. There's no such thing as "GameCube online," it's just that no one besides Sega has made any online games for the GCN yet.[/color]

A online console FPS would be a Godsend. There is Unreal Tournament for Xbox Live, but only broadband players can play. I guess it's a start. Timesplitters 2 or Red Faction 2 would have been a blast online.

Nintendo is very hesitant about their online plans, because it's something pretty new to the console world. Dreamcast pulled it off sucessfully, but they eventually died out. Sony has a good plan, but no real killer ap online titles. Xbox has been putting the most dedication in their online plans, but it seems to be very limited and there are no real killer aps. I'm anxiously awaiting to see if Nintendo launches a huge online plan. I would love to play Smash Bros. or Mario Kart online.

Well Xbox has Unreal Tourney and lets not forget about Halo 2 comin along, and I am sure there are plenty more out there but those are the 2 main ones I can think of. I really don't see GC gettin too many onlines titles, since they have PSO and that seems to bring many followers of the DC days.
PS-Just to ask but did DC have any FPS online titles?

My guess is that GameCube online is good ways off, or it may not come at all. Sure, they have things that allow you to go online, and maybe 1 or two games that can, but I mean the Nintendo movement into online games and stuff. What I see hapening is Nintendo sticking with offline games with great gameplay, not with online games with interaction where anything can happen. I don't see any online Nintendo games, and with not as much 3rd party content really leaning on the GC, it's unlikely that we'll see this online movement for them any time soon.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B]My guess is that GameCube online is good ways off, or it may not come at all. Sure, they have things that allow you to go online, and maybe 1 or two games that can, but I mean the Nintendo movement into online games and stuff. What I see hapening is Nintendo sticking with offline games with great gameplay, not with online games with interaction where anything can happen. I don't see any online Nintendo games, and with not as much 3rd party content really leaning on the GC, it's unlikely that we'll see this online movement for them any time soon. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#808080]Actually, the opposite is true. Nintendo might be conservative when it comes to online technology, but let's not forget that Nintendo have been experimenting with online gaming for well over a decade -- far longer than even Microsoft or Sony. Nintendo [i]knows[/i] the risks involved with online gaming.

Having said that, Nintendo themselves have confirmed that they're working on a number of online games (read: more than one).

There is some indication that Mario Kart might be online. I know that Shigeru Miyamoto has hinted at it on several occasions. Nintendo has also hinted at the idea that Animal Crossing 2 might have online capabilities (it's probably the biggest candidate for such treatment).

So, Nintendo are actually quite bullish about online gaming - at least, conceptually. But unlike Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo are not willing to incur heavy losses just for the sake of building up an online userbase. It's not good business sense for them to do that.

PSO is a way for Nintendo and its respective third parties to test the waters, so to speak. If games like Mario Kart are online, you'll find that Nintendo has both the killer aps to make the system successful as well as the fact that it won't be reliant on Internet based gaming.

Plus, Nintendo has said that first party online games will be played [i]free[/i] of charge. That will be a very strong lure for many gamers, especially if games like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing take the online plunge.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#808080]Plus, Nintendo has said that first party online games will be played [i]free[/i] of charge.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Which will be [i]very[/i] nice for those of us without too much money. ^_^

But yeah, anyone remember that port on the bottom of the NES? Wasn't that possibly going to be used for some kind of modem? And then there was the Satellaview for the SNES, which was actually released, though only in Japan. Then there was also going to be a modem cartridge to go along with the 64DD, though that never took off. So, yeah, Nintendo has a lot of experience with online gaming. They know what they're doing, and they're not going to risk losing a lot of money by rushing into online gaming with the GCN.[/color]

[color=#808080]It's reasonable that Nintendo never released those online technologies outside Japan. Most of them wouldn't have been successful in the United States or Europe.

The 64DD wasn't even successful in Japan, so there was no way Nintendo was going to lose more money by releasing it outside that region. You also have to realize that Japan is often a "testing ground" for Japanese game makers; particularly when it comes to online gaming.

Just look at the various online arcade games -- most of which have never seen the light of day outside Japan. Whatever is learned from these developments is usually utilized by the developer later on in a more mass-market situation.[/color]

i dont understand bout the game companies and importing what they think of games that are too "japanese" or too "wacky", its just dumb because when the decide not to localize to america because it "wont be popular" people start to import it like mad........its just dumb if they havent figured out that they [i]do[/i] have a market here for those wacky games

[color=#808080]There really isn't a market for those games, mostly.

When NCL makes a game, for example, Nintendo of America will evaluate it internally. Sometimes they'll even bring in focus groups to analyze the game.

I can tell you that Nintendo (and other companies) perform a [i]lot[/i] of evaluation on these games. And believe me, even though people like you or me would like to see some of these wacky games...the mainstream public don't. Most people are happy with their GTAIII or whatever; they don't care about the weirder games like Mr. Mosquito or something.

It's a shame, but it's true.[/color]

How would one get in one of these "focus groups"? They probably wouldn't let people like us in anyway. We're to "true gamer" for our own friggin good.

That GTAIII comment, it sounds like I said it (Hahahaha, GoS will be pissed). And Mr. Mosquito, that game looks so cool. And wasn't Roomainia (spl?)--that game where you are a ghost and you do stuff to mess around with this guy--announced for the PS2?

.:250th Post:. ^^