OtakuBoards

Signature Limits

Semjaza

This is something that annoys me every once in a while, but it's rather uncommon in general so I guess it's not a big deal. I would like to see if others here agree with me though.

I don't mind signatures. I don't mind whatever the hell is in them either in general... What I do mind is these [b]really damn long[/b] ones that measure sometimes several inches in length. I think it's ridiculous, especially considering a good deal of the people with signatures of this length post maybe 3 sentences most of the time. Why does your signature have to be ten times as long?

Now I know OB already has some sort of maximum for sigs. I remember it being something like 8 lines... but apparently, it's not actual [i]lines[/i] like I assumed, but more like a certain number of characters that would normally fit on 8 lines... So we wind up with these poems and stuff that are just incredibly long.

I sometimes pack a ton of stuff in my sigs, but I try to keep them around a certain size. I kind of consider that a common courtesy to others here who don't want to have to load all that and scroll past it everytime I post. Or something like that heh.

So in short... is there something we can do about this? Am I the only one it even bothers? Any comments on it would be appreciated I suppose.

[color=indigo]Well, you could just turn signatures off, so you won't see them. It is kind of annoying for me, too, though. (Though I have DSL, so it's not the loading that's annoying, just having to scroll past them all).

And it used to actually be eight lines, and it wouldn't let you go over. I don't know what happened with that, though, but it's obviously not in effect anymore.[/color]

[color=indigo]Yeah, I've considered disabling them before, but I didn't want to miss the ones that were actually good. I guess we'll just have to take the good with the bad, unless something happens with the limit again. (Which I liked a lot when it was in effect, since I usually don't have much more than a banner and caption in my signature, and it means not having to scroll through other peoples' really long signatures).[/color]

[color=#808080]We no longer have software-imposed signature limits. These were deleted when we moved server (all hacks were removed and had to be reinstalled).

As it happens, I don't think that the signature limit was re-established.

So it's something I'll talk to the tech staff about.[/color]

Well, if you just look at the signatures of the other users, you just might notice that most of them has more thatn four lines, so I think that answers to your question... ;)

Heh, sorry, didn't mean to sound so nasty... I'm a nice guy... deep down inside... somewhere...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sage [/i]
[B]Well, if you just look at the signatures of the other users, you just might notice that most of them has more thatn four lines...[/B][/QUOTE]

thank you, Captain Obvious.

just because the limit is set, doesnt mean that people will follow it. i was asking if that was the limit at one time, not if people payed attention to the limit.

Some people are confused... The original limit was 8 lines. Which is plenty long enough for most things. I agree about raising the limit to 10 or so myself.

This isn't about people with rather long buddy lists. This is about people who have seriously around 30 lines in their signatures. I think that's just too much, and I really don't think I should have to disable everyone's signature because a few people are overzealous.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by treton_noir [/i]
[B]no kidding.

maybe you misunderstood my use of the term "limit". i meant "limit" as a "suggested limit", not as a "software imposed limit". is that better? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#808080]Actually, we had a software imposed limit of 8 lines.

8 lines is more than enough. I know it doesn't sound like much, but you might be misinterpreting what 8 lines actually means.

For instance, if you keep writing in a single line without an actual line break...and due to text wrapping, you end up with a 100 line sig...OB software won't block it.

So it's not just a black and white eight lines. And of course, you could have only five or six lines and have massive text and stuff...so it's not really a question of the lines being too many or too little.[/color]

[color=indigo]Yeah, it's lines in the little signature box where you edit your sig, not lines on the actual posts, right?

But yeah, 8 lines is plenty. And for people putting poems in sigs, they should just use slashes to indicate where one line stops and another starts. That's actually the grammatically correct way to write a poem/song down without using actual line breaks (I'm pretty sure), and it would save [i]so[/i] much space.[/color]

[color=#808080]Well, even when we did have this software-imposed limit, there were quite a few people who still had pretty massive signatures.

For instance, I don't think Juuthena's buddy list would need to be shortened. It might be very long, but if there are no line breaks, it can continue pretty much forever (although of course, I hope that people will be sensible about signature length).[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]Some people are confused... The original limit was 8 lines. Which is plenty long enough for most things. I agree about raising the limit to 10 or so myself.

[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=deeppink]Actually, I believe Transtic was talking about the [i]original[/i] sig limit made during the UBB. That was 10 lines. ^_^

I would love a sig limit. Some of these sigs are really getting to me.

And yes, this post served no use to anyone. >.>[/COLOR]