OtakuBoards

The Matrix

ThePikasElbow

Is anyone here a big Matrix fan? I am, it's one of my favorite movies and I have loved it ever since I saw it in a theatre on opening day in 1999. A great mix of karate and gun play makes it one of the best action films ever. It's heavy on special effects, but it's done perfectly and not overdone ala DareDevil. It also has a great story too, along with some unforgettable characters such as Morpheus.

The sequels come out this year, with Reloaded almost a month away. I can't believe that another Matrix movie is so close! The TV spots for The Matrix Reloaded start tommorrow night, so get ready to see a ton of Matrix commercials soon. Every piece of footage I see raises my anticipation for it, it's almost too much to bare.

Oh, and has anyone been watching The Animatrix? It's 9 anime shorts done by several directors (involved with Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Ninja Scroll and more) that all have to deal with the world of The Matrix. Some show the deep past about how The Matrix came to be, while others are stand alone stories about other people involved. The first three episodes are up right now for free at intothematrix.com. There is also an exclusive one that comes on before Dreamcatcher, and it's rumored that Reloaded will start off where the short left off. A DVD is coming out this June with all nine of the stories, so I can't wait to pick it up.

So, are you a Matrix fanatic? Love it? Hate it? Don't really care? Post your opinions here.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[size=1][color=darkblue] The Matrix was my favorite movie of all time, so you can guess how excited I am!

We have just had an advertisment start over here which shows a wicked car chase scene, done in ground breaking, matrix "bullet time"
That is the one scene that has really pumped me up for this movie, it should be a real blast![/size][/color]

Another Matrix thread? Wow.

Anyway, I can't wait. I bought the DVD with the commentary and special features. Remember the scene with the gaurds and the pillars? Right before they saved Morpheus? After every scene they had to replace the pillars. Very cool, and budget consuming.

Guest cesar906
The matrix is cool but I want to see what the matrix reloaded and uploaded are I think they might be bad or good

[color=teal]What can I say, The Matrix is a great film. A tad confusing the first time I watched it, but twenty times after that I think I understood it a lot better. It's pure genius, and I hope the follow up will impress me just as much, or well more! I get very impatient and this won't be out for a while in England :(, but hopefully the fight scenes will make up for the long wait. I found Equilibrium a little taster of what's to come with it's essence of fighting.

Anyone who hasn't seen The Matrix I suggest you do, it's a work of art![/color]

Guest dr.septagon
I can t wait for the folloeing movies:
1) Matrix Reloaded
2) Matrix Republics (or whatever)
3) Terminator 3 (Terminator 2 is one of my favourite movies)
7) Lord Of The Rings 3 (whatever its called)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dr.septagon [/i]
[B]I can t wait for the folloeing movies:
1) Matrix Reloaded
2) Matrix Republics (or whatever)
3) Terminator 3 (Terminator 2 is one of my favourite movies)
7) Lord Of The Rings 3 (whatever its called) [/B][/QUOTE]
The second Matrix is called 'The Matrix: Revolutions' and the third Ring movie is called 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.' Don't let the 'Rings' fans catch you saying it's number 3, though, just go along and say that it is all one book, and this movie shows the third part of it. ;)

I absolutely cannot wait for The Matrix: Reloaded. There is no way in the world I am missing it, seeing as The Matrix was my favorite movie of all time. If it is shown at midnight the night before, I'm going; noon the day it comes out, I'm skipping school and seeing it. And yes, I am that desperate. I think I'm actually taking it pretty well, however, being someone who has known there was going to be a triligy since back in the summer of 2000. Think about it...

If you think it's amazing that the two movies are coming out within six months of each other, then you'd be surprised to know that they are probably already done -- both of them. But then, there is no way they'd get permission or even want to release both movies at the same time. This way, around the time the second Matrix comes out on DVD, the third one comes to theatres.

The producers really went all out on this whole Matrix series, taking people to go as far as to say that they are obsessed. On the day that the second Matrix movie comes out, the game Enter the Matrix is released as well, which, while not featuring Neo as a main character, does fall right into the story line instead of having some half-baked plot primarily for the game. You'd have to play through the game to get the whole experience. But wait, there's more! In the anime version, aparently a few of the OVAs tie right into the story line too, so to get the whole Matrix, you'll be spending quite a few bucks. I'm not sure if going all commercial on the Matrix movie is the best move, but when you consider that the game has lots of extra scenes in it that wern't packed into the movie and the goal of being a movie-based game that doesn't actually suck, and that the Animatrix OVAs were created by possibly the greatest anime directors of all time (Cowboy Bebop, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, etc.), then I think they have a good chance at successfully matching everything they've set out to do.

As you can see, saying that I really, really, really can't wait to see the next Matrix movie is quite an understatement.

I'm not a huge fan. I liked the first movie, but I wasn't blown away by it. It's pretty amazing how deep it is... a lot of things I never even considered are touched upon in the movie. They've already written psychology books based around it heh.

Anyway... I saw the new two and half minute trailer today, and it looked damn good. I saw most of the scenes already, but this showed off a lot more. Everything about it looks improved.

The only thing that bothered me about it at all was the makeup... their makeup artists are pretty average, at best.

As for the Animatrix, I have a thread about it in the Anime Forum. It isn't as popular as I figured it would be, but yeah... it's there.

[color=red][b]I'll do you one better, I'll give you a direct link to the PC hi-res one. [url]http://progressive1.stream.aol.com/wb/gl/wbonline/progressive/thematrix/us/med/trailer_final_640_dl.zip[/url] it's around 55 megs or so I think.

btw, The Twins own.

"They're upgrades..." - Neo

:)[/b][/color]

There's an ultra bandwidth one floating around too that is like 96 MBs. That's the one I downloaded. Looks about 10 times better than any other trailers and previews I saw before made it seem. I'll probably actually go see this and X-Men 2 in the theaters.

I have some interest in Pirates of the Carribean too, just because of Depp. The Sinbad cartoon doesn't look bad either. Good movies this Summer it looks like.

[color=red][b]omg. now that I have seen the trailer, i can't friggin wait until May 15th.

Neo: "Hiya fellas"
Agent 1: "it's him"
Agent 2: "do we proceed?"
Agent 3: "yes. he is still-"
Agent 1: "only human."

:D[/b][/color]

Yeah, I saw the new trialer on my friend's cable modem, and it was intense. The sound was great, and everything just looked so polished. The only problem I have with it is when all of those Agent Smith guys come at him, and similar scenes. You can tell that they obviously used computer animation, and while they should, I don't think it should have been that obvious. I don't like live-action movies where at a given point, they would be clearly animated while running or moving around, like when Neo with swinging around on the pole. That just lost all originality right there.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Endymion [/i]
[B]I heard a rumor somewhere that the next two movies are costing so much, Keanu Reeves sacrificed some of his own salary so the directors could keep filming. It's just a rumor, though. I don't know if it's true. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's probably not true. Matrix Reloaded cost $127 mil and Revolutions cost $110 mil. The first Matrix did so well that Warner Bros. had no problem dishing out the cash for these sequels. Trust me, they didn't have to cut or sacrifice anything, I'm sure they got anything they wanted.

And with the fight against all the Agent Smiths, while you know it's CGI, it's very convinincing and pulled off very well. Out of the previews and footage I've seen, none of the CGI looked lame or cheesy.

How can anyone NOT love the Matrix! Personally, I like the levels upon levels of complexity... I'm probably the only one who took time to read all of the philosophy articles at whatisthematrix.com .

For instance, the name plate of the Nebuchadnezzar reads "Mark III no. 11", which is an excerpt in the Bible that reads "When the people with the evil spirits saw him, they would call him the Son of God". Ever wondered why Agent Smith always calls Neo "Mr. Anderson"? Anderson is a name that translates to "son of Andrew", and Andrew is a name that means "man". So Anderson means "Son of Man".

The philsophy articles continue on to how this relates to Neo's role as their "Savior", which is what he is called early in the movie. They also mention Neo's revival after dying... There's a bunch of alternate reality articles, too, but the whole Bible excerpt thing really caught my attention...

Freaky, no?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Syk3 [/i]
[B]Yeah, I saw the new trialer on my friend's cable modem, and it was intense. The sound was great, and everything just looked so polished. The only problem I have with it is when all of those Agent Smith guys come at him, and similar scenes. You can tell that they obviously used computer animation, and while they should, I don't think it should have been that obvious. I don't like live-action movies where at a given point, they would be clearly animated while running or moving around, like when Neo with swinging around on the pole. That just lost all originality right there. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]It IS a science fiction movie ya know. I don't really care if they look real or not, it's just a movie, and it looks kick *** anyway.[/b][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Imaku3564 [/i]
[B]How can anyone NOT love the Matrix! Personally, I like the levels upon levels of complexity... I'm probably the only one who took time to read all of the philosophy articles at whatisthematrix.com .

For instance, the name plate of the Nebuchadnezzar reads "Mark III no. 11", which is an excerpt in the Bible that reads "When the people with the evil spirits saw him, they would call him the Son of God". Ever wondered why Agent Smith always calls Neo "Mr. Anderson"? Anderson is a name that translates to "son of Andrew", and Andrew is a name that means "man". So Anderson means "Son of Man".

The philsophy articles continue on to how this relates to Neo's role as their "Savior", which is what he is called early in the movie. They also mention Neo's revival after dying... There's a bunch of alternate reality articles, too, but the whole Bible excerpt thing really caught my attention...

Freaky, no? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]Yes, there are alot of religious refrences in The Matrix. Just in the names, Trinity, and Cypher is almost Zepher, which is where Judas, who betrayed Jesus, was born. Cypher betrayed Neo, etc. Before I was confirmed, in the class we had to take, we watched The Matrix and discussed it's religious bearings.[/b][/color]

Actually, I think the meaning of Cypher is something along the lines of a hidden code or writing. That works, because Cypher hides his true intentions and thoughts until one of the movie's major turning points. Very clever. But hey, the Zephyr thing sounds good, too, and it's true - like Jesus, Neo knows he is about to be betrayed (well, his intuition tells him that he will be). Notice how he waits for Cypher to take a sip of that drink before he does: does he suspect poisoning? If so, it's a good directorial device. So, yup - the whole movie is a Jesus allegory.

Hehe - we watch it a lot in philosophy, too. Our teachers claim it's a miracle. And I wouldn't be too worried about CG animation, so long as it's done well: sci-fi movies DO love their graphics, it's true.

The Matrix is my favourite film too. I really cannot wait for the sequel (darn my living in the UK!), with my only real concern being that, heaven forbid, the philosophical side should be lost beneath all that gorgeous-but-not-as-gorgeous-as-profundity action. But I think they'll keep the balance just right.