OtakuBoards

The Matrix

ThePikasElbow

Grrrr!

I had a talk with someone the other day who talks about how he can't wait for Matrix Reloaded to come out, but he's never even seen the first one the whole way through. I said he should watch it again, and he said:

"I don't want to. All I need to know is Neo is the one and they're fighting the Agents."

I went on to explain that there's about 1,001+ lines of subtext thrown into the story, and how he should read about them and watch the movie again. I've tried to tell him that The Matrix is more than just an action movie, but he only watched it half-way the first time because of the action. He honestly doesn't give a darn about the double-meanings of the film.

What's worse is that this guy wants to be a film maker. I guess I should tell him that with that attitude toward films, he's only going to make it as far as a camera-man.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Matt [/i]
[B][color=red][b]It IS a science fiction movie ya know. I don't really care if they look real or not, it's just a movie, and it looks kick *** anyway.[/b][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Yes, but for the look that they're going for, I think it would be better if it looked realistic. They probably could have made it look more realistic too, but still, I'm just going off of what I took in from the trailer. The movie could have me feel completely different.

[b][size=1]I just saw the final trailer version of the Matrix : Reloaded, and I must say I was impressed. The scene where Neo takes on all those copied agents on the rooftop looked excellent.

Now, I just can't wait. :)[/b][/size]

The Matrix was pretty cool when it first came out, the action scenes were awsome. But over the years it has been copied way too many times. As for the sequels, I hope their better than the first. In one of the movies Neo is supposed to fight 100 different versions of Agent Smith! Thats gonna be one awsome fight scene!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WW2 [/i]
[B]The Matrix was pretty cool when it first came out, the action scenes were awsome. But over the years it has been copied way too many times.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red][b]It has been said that the action scenes are so complex, that it would take too long and cost too much money for anyone to try and re-create them. Now I expect to see a sequel to Max Payne. :)[/b][/color]

• 4 weeks later...
[center][color=green][size=5]ATTENTION[/size][/color][/center]

I want to make this clear before somebody logs on tomorrow after seeing The Matrix Reloaded. I'm bumping up this thread from the second page to the first, so nobody will make a new thread, for starters.

Secondly, I want to see some SPOILER TAGS, people. There's a thread all about them stickyed on top of the Music Movies TV page. Send me a private message to AIM me if you still have questions.

Have fun, talk about The Matrix films, and try not to give too much away. :)

Just got back from Matrix Reloaded.

YAY first person to see it. I'm cool, you're not! :p hehe

The movie gets 8.5 out of 10. I'm sure some of you kids who only care about how cool Neo is with a lead pipe will give it 10 outof 10, but the movies wwas a bit to bland for that.

The fighting scenes were far too intense using some aspects over and over. Kinda reminded me of DragonBall. There's one in particular that goes on and on, seemingly endless till Neo does the obvious thing he should have done 10 minutes before. lol. Anyway yeah. A plethera of fight scenes. Too many for one movie, made it rather boring,a lthough there was some nice stuff.

Naturally, a car chase scene, as in EVERY action movie. It's not an action movie without a car chase.

If you want to know alot more back story on some characters and some events that they don't say much about in Matrix Reloaded, Buy the Animatrix when it comes out on DVD (or get the Screener like I did lol, saw that today as well) It gives alot more information and makes things a little easier to grasp.

One thing I didn't like: [spoiler]When Neo went and found the "father" of the Matrix. He went on and on exaplining everything and if you're like me (I get distracted easily sometimes) you'll be distracted by the countless TVs in the room behind Neo while whats his face is talking. So i never understood much of what he was saying. It was rather difficult to grasp the whole story, even though I still got it eventually. I'd have to see the scene 2 or 3 times before I fully understand it. If anyone would like to clear it up for me more fully, I'd like that.[/spoiler]

Anyway, good movie, not as good as it could have been. It's the Empire Strikes Back of the Matrix Trilogy.

So Transtic Nerve, if you are so sure you were the first, what time did you go and see it yesterday? [spoiler] Anyway, that was the best movie I have ever seen, it was a hundred times better than the first one. i love the twist with the Oracle and being The Chosen One. Plus the fight seen between Neo and thousands of Angent Smiths. Not to mention the freeway scene. I can't wait to see the third one this november. I saw the sneak preview and the new scenes from the final Matrix.[/spoiler]

[color=teal]EDIT:[/color] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Just got back from Matrix Reloaded.
One thing I didn't like: [spoiler]When Neo went and found the "father" of the Matrix. He went on and on exaplining everything and if you're like me (I get distracted easily sometimes) you'll be distracted by the countless TVs in the room behind Neo while whats his face is talking. So i never understood much of what he was saying. It was rather difficult to grasp the whole story, even though I still got it eventually. I'd have to see the scene 2 or 3 times before I fully understand it. If anyone would like to clear it up for me more fully, I'd like that.[/spoiler]
[/B][/QUOTE]
[spoiler]Well, basically, the creator was telling Neo that he is not the chosen one, but one of many. He is an anomally and nothing more. Apparently Neo has been created six times now, and he reacted differently on the first five occasions, but was quicker and more powerful this time. The father told him that he will make a choice, Zion or Trinity, but you knew that. The other five Neos chose to try and save Trinity, but it was futile and Zion along with Neo would die, but Neo had to choose 27 men and women to rise up in the next program and create Zion over again. But as you know, Neo broke this by saving Trinity and by the act that he was much more powerful than before. But Zion fell anyway.[/spoiler]

[color=teal]Remember that double posting is against our rules. Please edit your original post next time. :) -Syk3[/color]

[spoiler]What the hell was with that hedonistic dance scene?? Man, it was filmed like some kinda orgy. Felt kinda out of place. Overall I think it was a pretty good follow up. Of course its not as good as the original, but then few sequels are.

I find that in these sort of films the best bits are the setting up of the characters and the storyline. And obviously that was already done in the original. Still, its a heap better than Ep1 for Star Wars. Gah!![/spoiler]

Go see it, you know you want to. ;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Wednesday May 14th, 2003. 10:00 pm Eastern Time. [/B][/QUOTE]
Yup, that's when I saw it as well. Except that you probably saw it before me anyway; those dumn movie projectionists couldn't figure out how to work the film, and it ended up taking until about 15 mins past 10 that they finally got it working correctly, frontwards and on center.

Honestly, I'm not sure that the movie kept up to the hype. I felt that the first movie was a lot better and more original. The sequal focused much more on sex and comedy than the first, and the fight scenes got a little bland and boring after a while. Like TN said, it became kind of like the DBZ of The Matrix where sometimes the fighting would go on and on. The one scene that he is talking about in particular, I didn't like on some levels because it was so computer animated. The graphics were far too obvious, and it seemed like I was watching a video game of some sort. And then the plot...don't get me started. It was a very confusing movie and you have to pay very close attention to what the Oracle and the Architect say.

Now for some specifics. [spoiler]I thought that the movie began okay. However, that bike should [i]not[/i] have made such a huge explosion, and I didn't really like when she was fighting all those buisness dudes. Why did they even try to fight her in the first place? And then when she jumped out the window, the second version was much better. In this dream, the gun went off like it was a video game, and wasn't that loud at all. I think they could have improved on that scene a lot. *shrug*

That being said, my favorite part in the movie was deffinitly on the freeway. The whole part was awsome, but my abosulte favorite was when Morpheus got out of the car with the sword, and when the ghost's car came at him, he dove out of the way. On the end of the roll, he kind of was looking forward and putting the sword off to the side, cutting the car, and causing it to flip over. Slowly, he got up, took out his gun, and blew that car up, lol. Pure genious.

At the end of the movie, when they showed you the guy, they made it sound like "Omgz!?21@112111 Look!@!11" when I thought they really didn't put enough emphasis on him in the beginning for that to really sink in. Okay, so you saw him once, and he tried to kill Neo. So what? Maybe he was doing it for his own reasons. Was he supposed to be an evil spy or something? Like Cypher? Or had he awoken as Agent Smith?[/spoiler]

For all of you who have yet to see the movie, wait through the credits. Aparently, there's a trailer of the third movie, which I obviously missed. Man, now I have to watch it again. Oh well..

Final Rating: [b]7.5/10[/b]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Wednesday May 14th, 2003. 10:00 pm Eastern Time. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Ack! You beat me by three hours. :p (Actually six hours, but...)
I saw it Thursday, May 15th, 1:05am Pacific Time.

It wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would. I didn't like how [spoiler]Trinity was still alive at the end.[/spoiler] It felt a little... godmoddish. I couldn't really get into it. Also, they kinda overdid the kissing and sex scenes. My dad fell asleep four times.

My eyes hurt so much when they kept changing back and forth from the really dark room to the completely white room. xx;;;;

Just not my type of movie, I guess. *hides from Neil and Flashy*

[b]My Rating:[/b] 6.5/10.[/color] [/size]

[size=1][color=darkblue] The Matrix reloaded was a thrill ride, what more can you say? [spoiler] the car chase scene and Morpheus fighting the Twins and the Agents on top of moving trucks was excetionally well done, as well as the scene where Neo had to fight of 100 Agent Smiths, who can now replicate himself.

I felt that having an Agent Smith outside the Matrix, in the real world was quite out of place, but he fits in well with the cliff hanger at the end of the movie, one thing i don't understand, and maybe someone can help me with this one is, did Zion fall?

I think the real world is actually a second Matrix, seen as Neo stopped those sentinels, and since we learned what the Oracle prophecy really was, another mind controll thingy, I don't think that would be too out of place. My friends who went with me though the Architect was like Colonek Sanders lolz! [/spoiler]

As with the first matrix, the effects were awesome, You have to see it if only for the Gun Ho actin sequences which were breathtaking, I don't think i blinked once in the first half hour, which is why my eyes hurt *_*. Once again, a brilliant film filled with religious allegories, in jokes and "bullet time" action, all very well pieced together in a way only the Warchowskis could envision.
[/size][/color]

The Matrix Reloaded was only slightly better than the first. The problem with this movie is that it is the same cliched story. Man is enslaved, a great hero will come about and save the world, blah, blah, blah. I'd be disappointed if the Wachowskis didn't pull off some big "omigod, that was awesome" twist at the end of the third movie.

As usual, there are some new faces, some good, others ok. [spoiler] Tank is replaced as Morpheus' crew's operator by a new character named Link. Tank's fate has yet to be revealed although it seems that he may have been killed off-screen between the Matrix and Reloaded.

The kid who keeps following and annoying Neo is a character callled, what else, the Kid and is the main character of a short in the Animatrix. Also, the Osiris, from "Final Flight of the Osiris" is mentioned, as its demise is the start of the events in Matrix Reloaded.

I love the twist about the Oracle being the "mother of the Matrix" but could someone please tell me what the hell was the Architecture rambling on about. OK, so there were six version of the Matrix and six versions of "The One" but the guy was talking like a living dictionary gone wild and I couldn't understand what he meant about the One's purpose and the repeated destruction of Zion. Was this all like a game of some sort?

Anime Invasion has given an in-depth look at the upcoming Animatrix, and several shorts are already available on [url]www.whatisthematrix.com[/url]

Here's a rundown: There are nine movies, each about 9 or 10 minutes long. The first two make up "The Second Renaissance", a documentary on the history of the war with the machines and the birth of the Matrix. The rest include:
1. Program, in which a woman learns that her lover plans to reintegrate into the Matrix and must decide whether or not to go.
2. Final Flight of the Osiris. This is shown at the beginning of Dreamcatcher and sets up the events of Matrix Reloaded.
3. Kid's Story, which tells the adventures of the Kid and how he got hooked up with Neo.
4. Detective Story, in which a detective finds himself going after Trinity.
5. World Record, about an athlete who breaks the world sprinting record while trying to escape Agents.
6. Beyond, in which a group of children find themselves in a house that is a living bug in the Matrix, as Agents come along to attack.
7. Matriculated, about a world were humans plugged machines in the Matrix instead.

Program, Detective Story and The Second Renaissance pt. 1 and 2 can all be seen on the "What is the Matrix?" website. [/spoiler]

Overall, I give this movie a 9/10. Great story and even more of a mind rape than the first, but the actions scenes, while beautiful to look at, where a bit too drawn out to really care about them and the philosophical edge is too much for conventional moviegoers.

[i][size=1][color=limegreen]Ok I got to see Matrix Reloaded...it was a very good movie.

But it DOES have its flaws. It seesaws badck and forth between lots of eye candy mindless action and deep involved story telling.

One thing you HAVE to do with this movie is PAY ATTENTION. You cant just space out on this movie if you want to really pick up on things(esp during a few key conversations) or you'll get lost.

Now for the spoiler tags: :p [/color]

[spoiler]The first third of the movie drags abit. theres alot that goes unexplained(like was said previously you get more insight if you see the animatrix series) and some of the action scenes are abit mundane. Also one of the most awkward and uneeded scens occurs during this time. Some dumb and out of place giant mosh pit with frequent cuts back to neo and trinity making love...Didnt really feel needed to me.

The much hyped neo vs the hundred Agent Smiths was good if abit overlong...It doesnt really start getting fun till neo starts using the pole. Thankfully though hugo weaving is such an excellent actor it isnt corny at all when 7 agent smiths are talking to neo just before the fight(The man is excellent all throughout the film)

Now When we get to meet the man who is keeping the key maker(I dont remeber his name ATM but he speaks with a french accent) From here on the storyline starts getting more cohesive and the action scenes more frenetic(and better looking)

The Twins are just too cool for words. They dont say alot but make a big impression :devil:

Now to answer some Qs that some have brought up with some of my own fuzzt logic reasoning :rollseyes:

The whole thing with the architect...It boils down to there has been A ONE six times prior. There has been a zion six times prior. This all has to do with the fact that humanity needs hope. The machines ALLOW us to have zion to give us hope. Without hope we would simply give up and die.

This is why the one exists. The machines allow us to have hope in the form of zion...But its a flase hope. The machines destory zion evey 100 years before it gets too sizable and becomes a real threat. Its just another form of control...Just one that we cant percieve as easily as the matrix itself.

The whole thing is a continous loop...A ONE is created...He meets the architect...he chooses to create zion anew to perserve hope which perserves life. Only this time the ONE feel in love and instead of choosing to create zion anew he choose to save trinity.

Ack ok im kinda running myself in circles here trying to explain it...I saw the movie 10 hours ago and it was more clear in my head then...ill probly have to watch it again...

As for the guy on the table in the end...He is infected by agent smith and is controlled by him. Agent smith has "evolved" into a virus able to infect humans and machines.

And no zion hasnt fallen...Again ill attempt an explination.

The guy got infected by agent smith before he could leave the matrix...After being infected he leaves the matrix and is under the control of smith with none of the humans the wiser. The ship that hes on is part of the human counter attack against the sentinals that are boring towards zion. But because hes controlled by smith he makes him activate there EMP prematurly shutting down 5 of the ships in the counterattack and allowing the sentinals to easily defeat the hoverships.Now hes on the same ship as neo(and as you remeber he ALMOST killed neo (outside of the matrix before except he was interrupted)

Now as for him shutting down the sentinals in the end...I think in the process of everything that happened in reloaded he gained some sort of connection to the machines...I say this just cause he said he could "feel" the sentinals just before he shut them down. Im sure this will be explained more in revolutions. [/spoiler]

[color=seagreen]Well now that ive rambled on for an eternity...I hope i helped to explain a few things...It was a very good movie and pretty deep...Ill probly see it again this weekend and try to pick up or clarify anything i missed. :naughty: [/color][/i][/size]

[color=indigo]Well, I am not going to post any spoilers, I am just going to give you ladies and gentlemen my thoughts on the Matrix:Reloaded.

It Kicked

I thought that it was the best action/sci-fi movie that I have ever seen. I was a bit skeptical, being such a huge fan of the first, but I was incredibly impressed. The effects were amazing and I wouldn't be surprised if Reloaded was up against Revolutions in next years Oscar hunt.

just a note...for those of you that haven't seen the movie, sit through the credits. There is a brief preview of Revolutions at the end...I was one of four that remained through the credits, the rest of the audience walked out when they began rolling...[/color]

Guest cloricus
My official rating, is a big [b][i][u][size=3]WTF![/size][/u][/i][/b]

I've had about an hour to think it over, and it all makes sense. The biggest point I picked up quickly, it came back to me. I originally thought it after I saw the first one. This may help a lot of you.
[spoiler]Zion is part of the Matr|x.[/spoiler]
That would explain to you why the bit with Neo at the end.

After you know that the rest should fall into place.

My only two points that I?d have to say about it is the part with Neo and A Smith was a bit too long. [Spoiler]But the doggie pile was funny![/spoiler] and the [spoiler]sex scene was, too long. All it proved is that trinity is hot.[/spoiler]

Having thought it over now, I think the movie rocked. I?ll need to see it again in a few days and see if I was right.

Eps ? It Rox0r3d!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arkadyz [/i]
[B][i][size=1][color=limegreen][spoiler]The first third of the movie drags abit. theres alot that goes unexplained(like was said previously you get more insight if you see the animatrix series) and some of the action scenes are abit mundane. Also one of the most awkward and uneeded scens occurs during this time. Some dumb and out of place giant mosh pit with frequent cuts back to neo and trinity making love...Didnt really feel needed to me.

The much hyped neo vs the hundred Agent Smiths was good if abit overlong...It doesnt really start getting fun till neo starts using the pole. Thankfully though hugo weaving is such an excellent actor it isnt corny at all when 7 agent smiths are talking to neo just before the fight(The man is excellent all throughout the film)

Now When we get to meet the man who is keeping the key maker(I dont remeber his name ATM but he speaks with a french accent) From here on the storyline starts getting more cohesive and the action scenes more frenetic(and better looking)

The Twins are just too cool for words. They dont say alot but make a big impression :devil:

Now to answer some Qs that some have brought up with some of my own fuzzt logic reasoning :rollseyes:

The whole thing with the architect...It boils down to there has been A ONE six times prior. There has been a zion six times prior. This all has to do with the fact that humanity needs hope. The machines ALLOW us to have zion to give us hope. Without hope we would simply give up and die.

This is why the one exists. The machines allow us to have hope in the form of zion...But its a flase hope. The machines destory zion evey 100 years before it gets too sizable and becomes a real threat. Its just another form of control...Just one that we cant percieve as easily as the matrix itself.

The whole thing is a continous loop...A ONE is created...He meets the architect...he chooses to create zion anew to perserve hope which perserves life. Only this time the ONE feel in love and instead of choosing to create zion anew he choose to save trinity.

Ack ok im kinda running myself in circles here trying to explain it...I saw the movie 10 hours ago and it was more clear in my head then...ill probly have to watch it again...

As for the guy on the table in the end...He is infected by agent smith and is controlled by him. Agent smith has "evolved" into a virus able to infect humans and machines.

And no zion hasnt fallen...Again ill attempt an explination.

The guy got infected by agent smith before he could leave the matrix...After being infected he leaves the matrix and is under the control of smith with none of the humans the wiser. The ship that hes on is part of the human counter attack against the sentinals that are boring towards zion. But because hes controlled by smith he makes him activate there EMP prematurly shutting down 5 of the ships in the counterattack and allowing the sentinals to easily defeat the hoverships.Now hes on the same ship as neo(and as you remeber he ALMOST killed neo (outside of the matrix before except he was interrupted)

Now as for him shutting down the sentinals in the end...I think in the process of everything that happened in reloaded he gained some sort of connection to the machines...I say this just cause he said he could "feel" the sentinals just before he shut them down. Im sure this will be explained more in revolutions. [/spoiler][/color][/i][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
Ai, thank you for explaining these things a bit more. One of the reasons I didn't like it as much as the first movie was because I didn't understand so many things that were said. Having read this, I must say that The Matrix: Reloaded was a much more enjoyable movie. I'm hoping to see it again in the future for one last understanding of it all, and of course the trailer of the third movie. Oh, and I've updated my score..

Movie Rating: [b]8.5/10[/b] (from 7.5)

Much more clever story than I originally though. ;) But still not better than the first.

Man im glad you got to this question before i did.

I think the Matrix was so underrated for how brillant a movie it was. The special affects are being plagarized by other movies all the time (well wouldnt really call it plagarized but you get the idea) and it bothers me that it didnt hit that much money at the box office. Reece is amazing in that movie (even though he acts like a dumb***) and the whole digital binary code is cool when he realizes that "he's the one". And i hate how it was origanally going to come out on my birthday (im taking about the second one now) and now i have to see it this weekend.

Guest cloricus
Now that I've got the story line down I can enjoy the sfx, which, were, well no other word than Amazing. I never thought that the could not only build on the original revolutionary effects but supas them. Some of the effects in there, as far as I knew were impossible. I'm going to have to go see it again to enjoy it more. :P

Remember this was the sort of thing ppls were saying after the original.

Trust PVP - I think this sums up everything, [url=http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20030515]Click[/url].

Eps - YAY!!!

[size=1] Okay, Reloaded was...hmm interesting. [spoiler] ill start with the begginning, well at least the first half an hour, a love story? I did'nt expect that, I knew there would be some romance but the sex scene in Zion, totally not expecting it. And I didnt liek ti to much. Now onto the story...I found it...blah. I mean the action scenes were amazing and all but Neo being Jesus-like I did not enjoy. Ezpecially when he brought Trinity back to life. And him defeating the hundreds of agents with ease...well Idk, I guess he could do it without breaking a sweat huh?! Another thing I didnt like is how in the original it was a feeling that they were the only humans awoken form the Matrix, and it was like the ship was built from scratch. Now onto part 2, we see Link driving the ship into Zion and they have friggen crazy computer monitors, and then you see Zion and its all dirty and everything, that I did not like. But the action scenes were AMAZING! I mean the highway scene was astonishing, the sword fight was Beautifully corographed, and everything else was Ridiculously KOOL! And neo flying, well that just made me believe that people could fly! The explosions were incredible, simply beautiful! ANyway im dragging on, I thought it was excellent, the trailer for Revolutions looks awsome, and I cant wait for november![/spoiler]

The Matrix R E L O A D E D - 9.0/10[/size]