OtakuBoards

Reason for action

ChibiV

I think that [COLOR=skyblue]for every action there is a reason[/COLOR]. I also think that people just do think for reward or a prize that they receive after. Of course, this sounds sort of strange because sometime people just do things because they like it. If you consider emotion is also a type of reward, therefore, I think that even when people do something good, they do it for a reward. Do you think that even when people do something good, they just do it for reward? Sometimes, people just don't notice that they just do it for reward, because for every action there is a reason.

I do things that I know are simply going to hurt me because I know they'll help other people (if even that). I don't exactly know what the reward is for that one. I don't feel I'm [i]that[/i] selfish that everything I do is secretly disguised to get me something out of it.

There is actually a term for this. It is called altruism. I know I'm thinking way back to psych 102, but it is defined as the act of doing something with no thought of reward. (my version, anyway!) Most psychologists don't believe that altruism really exists, nor do I.
Everytime you commit a good deed, you feel somewhat good or satisfied once you do it. You know that you will have this feeling, so you do the deed. It doen't make you a bad person.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ChibiV [/i]
[B]I think that even when people do something good, they do it for a reward. Do you think that even when people do something good, they just do it for reward? Sometimes, people just don't notice that they just do it for reward, because for every action there is a reason. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Oddly enough, last year my AP English class had a discussion about that for the entire class period. Some people brought up the question that, even when things are done anonymously, are they done for the sole purpose of making oneself feel good?

We talked about when people donate large sums of money to charitable orginizations that they may be doing it soley to improve their public image. That of course brought up the point that some donations are done anonymously...and that's where my point in the first paragraph came from. Do people who donate large sums of money [i]without[/i] leaving a name do it just so that they can sit back and feel charitable and good about what they've done?

I personally think that is a bit extreme to so far as to accuse someone of merely donating for their own private pleasure, but I suppose that a huge part of the donation and charitable actions process IS to make yourself feel good. You're supposed to feel like a good person after you commit a nice act or help someone even if it meant losing something for yourself...don't you think?

I guess it's a two-way thing...it's very confusing to think about. In fact, I've confused myself in writing this post so I believe that I'll stop now :p[/color]

See BG, the whole thing is internal. It's not that someone donates just to make themselves feel good, but it's an expected/inherent benefit. It's like the opposite of feeling guilty about aomething. Even if you do a good deed that causes you emotional pain, you probably would have felt a different kind of pain if you hadn't have done it.

(hope i'm not sounding cryptic):)

I suppose that this can go the other way too.

Do people do bad things simply to satisfy their own feelings of insecurity? Do they do sadistic or evil things because they like it? Or do they simply do it to keep up their 'bad-boy' image?

I know far too many people that do the latter. They push people around, start fights, and hit women simply to prove that they are tough and won't take anything from anyone. It seems stupid to me.

To the original question: I believe that most of the good deeds out there are done solely on the basis of improving ones reputation. I try not to do too many good things only because they tend to backfire. I set up this couple a few months back only to hear today that the guy put the girl in the hospital with a broken jaw. He's now facing a bunch of charges and a few years in prison.

There are a variety of reasons why people do things. I mean, on the most basic levels, there are biological and social needs that motivate people. But, I won't get into all that because I doubt that anyone would really want to read that stuff. I mean, it's information I picked up from psychology class, so it would probably come across as incredibly boring.

The reward behavior that you're talking about, where actions are controlled by self rewarding consequences or reinforcements, are due to learned response-outcome associations. Like, there are primary reinforces and secondary reinforces. But, as I said, I could go on and on, and it wouldn't be very interesting. It sounds too scientific.

I'll just say that some people put on a false face and do good deeds for their own benefit, but it's usually pretty easy to see through that kind of behavior. Others are genuinely nice. I guess it depends on how people are brought up.

[color=#808080]Helping someone because it makes you feel good is, I think, not necessarily a conscious thought.

So I don't believe that there is some kind of selfish intention for the most part. I think it's a natural human instinct -- to support your species or whatever. Know what I mean? I think it's just a really fundamental drive for most people.

So yeah, if you really do analyze people's behavior...I think we generally do things because it helps us personally in some sense. But we don't actually think "how is this going to help me?"

You might incur pain by helping a friend, but if that friend is helped, that might remove a problem in your life or something. I don't know. I just mean that I don't think we always consciously think about whether or not something is going to help us at the end of the day.

EDIT: Wow, I shouldn't post when I'm busy. I can't think properly. lol[/color]

I'm very confusing when I wrote this topic. :D Do you think self-sastisfaction is a type of reward for your action? For "Altruism - the act of doing something with no thought of reward", well, I disagree with that belief. :D Do you think the term "reward or prize" is harsh to describes human behavior?

• 2 weeks later...
[color=darkblue]NOTE: I tried to post this before but OB is really acting up for me right now & I have no clue as to whether I'm about to double post or repeat myself. Please forgive!

I really don't see what the big deal is. If a good deed is performed, I don't think it much matters what the motivation is, whether it's selfish or not. Good is still done, and the receiver of the deed still enjoys the results. So I'm not going to think about the motivation aspect as much as the deed itself.[/color]:)

In my opinion, most of the good that people do is out of the knowledge that it is something that they should do, and that the reward at the end of it all, the "good feeling", is simply automatic. It just might be nature's way of giving us a reason to do some good. Peace.

:demon: Saiyan Out :demon:

Reward is not harsh at all. Its like saying I play baseball for fun. Fun would not be harsh. So neither is Reward.

I think that it is true, most if not all acts or done on the incentive of a reward. Although the reward doesn't have to be selfish as others have said. The reward could be simple to see the smile on the homeless person's face when you give them something. Or that little kids toothless smile when you give her her first barbie or something.

Although I think parenthood is the one time when most people truly are selfless. The rewards doing their actions are not rewards for them, but for their child.

They make them go to school. Not to make the parents smart but to make the kids smart. So they can grow up and get a good job, to be able to support their family. They give them moral back up to make sure that they treat their kids right.

Parenting in itself is a selfless act. I don't really think their is a reward that benifits the parents in this. Except for maybe when they're adults (MAYBE) they can step back and admire the good person and think they helped him/her on the way.

If that didn't make any sense at all sorry. Tried to state my opinion.

In other words this Altruism only exists in one point in life, and thats parenting. Thats my belief anyways.

[color=indigo]Well, maybe there's a reason for everything good that you do on the subconscious level (and I kind of even doubt that), but I don't think everyone always actively thinks "what's in it for me?" before doing something good. I've done nice things without getting any sort of reward or having any hope of a reward. And that includes satisfaction at having done something nice, too.[/color]

Any act has an outcome, and I'd have to say there is always a more [i]desirable[/i] outcome that you would be hoping for on some level. Whether or not it is selfish or whatnot, is another story. I could say that by helping someone... my reward would be seeing them be able to do something they normally couldn't for example. In that case, it's no big deal. It might make you feel better about yourself, I suppose... but when I do such things, it's more out of concern for the other person. I rarely get some "high" or reward out of it.

However, it's rarely put like that. It's almost referred to as if humans were simple animals. As if we behave on the same wavelength as dogs... anything to get some stupid milkbone. And in that sense, I truly could never agree with this idea.