OtakuBoards

Words That Make You Wonder

BabyGirl

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#808080]
I'll give you two examples of pet peeves. lol

First is the word "often". I notice that people frequently say [b]off-ten[/b]. But that's not correct. The 't' is silent. [b]Off-en[/b].

The other would be the phrase "I could care less about that". So, if I were Cloricus, I might say:

"I could care less about Howard being the Prime Minister"

When actually, it should be "I [b]couldn't[/b] care less about Howard being the Prime Minister"

[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][font=laha][color=gray] Heh. I've done and do do those things sometimes. Like in my column that I posted, I had said that I didn't know the jock's name, and I could care less. lol. I changed that, though.

I also say often with the t, but I'll have to get myself to not do that. Bleh.[/size][/font][/color]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[B][color=#808080]First is the word "often". I notice that people frequently say [b]off-ten[/b]. But that's not correct. The 't' is silent. [b]Off-en[/b].[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

lol.. pronunciations of words vary a fair bit.

Around my area we rarely pronounce 'H's at the beginning of words. Like "Hanley" (the local town centre) and "Hand" become "'Anley" and "'And", despite the fact that they're still spelt the same.

and there are probably other equally dodgy things that we say around here out of force of habit.

So yeah. My point is I think you can allow a little bit of flexibility when it comes to pronunciation :p

[size=1]My friends and I have this ongoing debate about whether or not we in the Wisconsin/Michigan/Minnesota area have accents. The word that drives me crazy right now is one Jenna mentioned a while back.

Bag...I always say it with a long [i]a[/i]--I don't think I even [b]can[/b] say it with a short [i]a[/i].

Funniest thing in the world... (if your rather short on entertainment, anyway) to listen to a half dozen teenagers try and repeatedly fail to correctly pronounce a three-letter word.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I think pretty much any word makes almost no sense if you keep saying it for a while.

Mail. Mail. Mail. It's weird. I can't think of a word that still sounds right if you keep saying it and thinking about it.

And peopel say it "kehn" around here... and actually anywhere I've ever been in my life. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was going to say that exact same thing. Say Bolanaise (sp?) (the italian food you eat with spaghetti :tasty: ) and it sounds so stupid and wierd lol.

[B][color=#808080]The other would be the phrase "I could care less about that". So, if I'm talking about something I don't care about, I might say (incorrectly):

"I could care less about Eminem's record sales"

When actually, it should be "I [b]couldn't[/b] care less about Eminem's record sales"

If you say [i]could[/i] care less, it means that you actually care about the very thing that you are implying you care little about. lol[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I noticed that some time ago. Since then, I've been saying "I could care" or "I could care more." :)

I hate the prefix "in." Intangible means the opposite of tangible, incorrect means the opposite of correct, but ingenious & genius and inflamable and flamable mean almost the same thing. I once got in an argument with 3 friends of mine over how ingenious and genius mean the same thing.

And let's not go into how hazardous it is to mix up flamable and inflamable.

Dr. Nick Rivera: "Don't worry. It's [b]in[/b]flamable!"

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hikaru Ichijyo [/i]
[B]That's easy:

Ethereal:
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Heh, oh well...if it was so easy then I would have known it. Guess I'm dumb :p ::cough::[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][size=1]My friends and I have this ongoing debate about whether or not we in the Wisconsin/Michigan/Minnesota area have accents.

Bag...I always say it with a long [i]a[/i]--I don't think I even [b]can[/b] say it with a short [i]a[/i].
[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Yes, I get made fun of for saying it with a long "a". My west coast roommates once couldn't understand that I was saying "comp" as in "composition"...they had to ask me three times before they understood. I guess it's supposed to be said like the British say it...or something :drunk: ..."cohmp". What's so wrong with saying it "cahmp"? [with a short "a", mind you].

Isn't the Midwest [Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, northern Illinois & Indiana, and Iowa] supposed to have the most neutral accent? Maybe we lay claim to the wrong thing :S[/color]

[b][size=1]Mom, mum or mam. (how the Americans, English and Irish pronounce.. mother..)

Whenever I say it over and over it just sounds wrong, especially 'mom'. I don't know what it is. Mam just sounds like ma'am way too much if it's not said by an Irish person, and mum sounds far too stereotypical British.

Random posh dude 1 : "I say Jeeves where's the old mum"
Random posh dude's butler : "I say she's down at the old bill, chap"

Come to think of it.. I hate any words that are pronounced in a posh english accent, but that's going off-topic.[/b][/size]

[color=#9933ff]Posh English accents are just scary and way to sterotypical. @_@ They always remind me of old England way back when they used to actually have morning and afternoon tea. lol. (They only have that weird tea time stuff in London now, I think... >_<) It's crazy.

Some one back on page one mentioned a word:
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
and Circéus said it was a disease caused by inhalation of volcano cinder particle, which I'm sure is true, but in a book I have, it also says that just a lung condition that affects miners leaving them short of breath. It's the longest word in the Oxford English Dictionary with 45 letters. The book was funny and said that it probably wasn't just the condition that left them short of breath, but also trying to tell their friends what's the matter with them.

The book I got this from was a gift, with some other books from American friends who lived in England for several years (I swear, London cloudy-ness made them depressed). It's called "Wicked Words" in a series called "Horrible Histories". The series is by Terry Deary, and if you live in England, you should buy it. They're tremendously interesting, and with humor in them, too. The books are only about £7.99.

That person also meantioned a word:
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
which Circéus also said SHOULD "technically be fear of aquatic (poto) equine (hippo) monsters (monstros) half a feet long (sesquipedalio). Go figures. It actually means fear of long words."

The book I was telling you about has a word opposite that. O.o It's:
hippopotomonstrosesquipedalianism which with 32 letters means that you enjoy saying long words. XD

I have a problem with people who use contractions wrong. You're does NOT mean your! It means YOU ARE! And they're means THEY ARE; NOT their, and NOT there! And with it's? Forget it. So many people forget that there's an actual difference between it's and its. -_-[/color]

Oh, God isn't it annoying?

A big pet peeves of mine is people writing "site" instead of "sight".

Oh, and by the way, I just remembered sesquipedalia actually means "a feet and a half long"...

I dislike the problem so many people have with the word "nuclear". It is pronounced just as it looks... not "nucular" or whatever.

Speaking of nuclear, the Japanese word "benri" drives me crazy (it means convenient). I have the hardest time saying it at all. They shouldn't allow an R sound to ever follow an N.

I haven't come across any words that puzzle me yet in my life, though I get mixed up with a few. Like "sight and site" and "right, rite, and write" and so on.. I get so damn pissed when I [strike]right[/strike] wright down a word and then remember it's spelt differently. :mad:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dan L [/i]
[B]
So yeah. My point is I think you can allow a little bit of flexibility when it comes to pronunciation :p [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#808080]Oh yeah, that is true. But I'm talking about actually using English incorrectly.

So it's kinda like in The Simpsons, where the pilot says "Nothing could [i]possiblye[/i] go wrong. Oh, that's the first thing that's ever gone wrong".

You know...like if you compare "possi-blye" to "possi-blee". There is a right way and a wrong way. That's what I was trying to point out with the word "often". Of course, accents do change the way words sound, but when speaking English, there is a standardized way to actually say words, even if your pronounciation differs via your accent.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crimson Spider [/i]
[B]Three words that puzzeled me witht their unesisary length is:
1) Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
2) Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
3) Antidisestablishmentarianism.
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=purple][size=1]1) Absolutely no idea..

2) Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: The fear of long words..-.-;

3) Antidisestablishmentarianism: The destruction of government.. And all forms of authority.. Antidisestblishmentarianism is, in a way, what needs to happen before Anarchy can exist..

A few words in the english language have always seemed absurd to me.. But the one thats always destroyed me.. Has to be.. Tongue..

Probably because I didn't learn how to spell it properly until this year.. >.<; Maybe it's just me..

Have you ever come across those words.. That no matter how many times you write them.. You still think you're spelling them wrong?

Briefly, Sense, Since, Batteries, Assessment, Cassette..[/color][/size]

yer i have 2 sites with massive lists of phobias. i reckon that is really interesting kind of stuff. by the way if u happen to be a vampire, then you will ave these problems;Hierophobia- Fear of priests or sacred things.
Aichmophobia- Fear of needles or pointed objects.
Alliumphobia- Fear of garlic.
Eosophobia- Fear of dawn or daylight.
Hagiophobia- Fear of saints or holy things.
Ochlophobia- Fear of crowds or mobs.
Staurophobia- Fear of crosses or the crucifix.
hehehe

[color=darkblue]The word I hate is "swab." It just sounds so stupid. It has to be the dumbest sounding word ever.

Another thing is how different dialects have different spellings for the same word. I'd like to be able to write or type "colour" but everyone in the US thinks I'm misspelling it. I think it's prettier than "color", though.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B][color=darkblue]Another thing is how different dialects have different spellings for the same word. I'd like to be able to write or type "colour" but everyone in the US thinks I'm misspelling it. I think it's prettier than "color", though.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Okay, I just have to post this quote up, now that that's been mentioned. . . .

-------------------------------------------------
Desbreko145: Yes, color!
Cptn FlashHeart: It's naked without it's u!
Desbreko145: ...Naked doesn't have a u anywhere, you fool!
Cptn FlashHeart: Nakud!
Desbreko145: :P
Cptn FlashHeart: :P
-------------------------------------------------

*cough* Um . . . yeah . . . late night (for me, anyway) AIM conversation, heh.

Something that has annoyed me, though, is that before I started reading or writing much I would always pronounce "often" as "off-fen." Then when I started reading and writing more, I saw how it was spelled, and for some reason I would sometimes pronounce it "off-ten" even though I knew that was wrong. I've gotten pretty good at pronouncing it the right way all the time again, but every now and then I'll still say "off-ten." It really annoys me since I always like to know and use the correct pronunciation/spelling of words.[/color]

[color=indigo]Pressure quoted it a few posts up:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Quite a mouthful, heh. If I go slow, I'm pretty sure I can pronounce it correctly, but I'm not entirely sure on a couple bits.[/color]