OtakuBoards

Artist wanna-be...please critique ;)

BabyGirl

[color=deeppink]Ok, I was wondering if all of you remarkable artists out there could perhaps critique my "work" if it could be called that. You see, I am [i]not[/i] an artist...merely a wanna be. I don't harbor great talent or anything, though I recently found out that my mom's twin is in fact a very excellent artist...my mom only got a few of those genes :D

So I was wondering if you could all critique this and tell me what to do differently...as to make it better. The quality of the scan isn't all that great, but oh well.

Ok, lay it on...[/color]

Well...

For one it's obviously a sketch, which is by no means NOT art... it's art... very much so... anyway...

proportion wise... his face looks alittle.. "fat"....

Thats about all I can think of... since it's just a sketch and it's a drawing of an anime character it's hard to critque on everything (like color, space, value, etc) because it doesn't have anything... it's a simpel sketch portrait of a character and since the character itself is drawn animated, there is no basis in art based on it... well not all... because animated characters can be made up to look anyway, and still be good.... you understand? They are based on realism, so you really have nothing to base it off of to critique it.

But none-the-less, me likes and I think you did a very good job :)

It looks a little odd. If maybe you added a little color, Made the face a little slim it would look much better. But none-the-less me thinks its a great pic for a begining.

[COLOR=purple]That's a nice pic! Geeene....:love::tasty: Heh heh......anywho, as for my critique- I'd say the hair should be colored in, and have some sort of "shine" effect. However, like Transtic said, it [i]is[/i] a sketch......that could have been the look you were going for. Besides that, it's very nice; like I said before!:D[/COLOR]

Its got a good basis, and I love the eyes. But the hair looks a little rushes, and you might want to either shade of color it. Also the right eye is just a tad lower than the left.

And uh, here is a quick resize, I think it looks better a little smaller.

[color=darkblue]A very good first effort, BabyGirl.

All you really need to do is improve your proportions a little, and add some shading to give a smoother effect.

Despite what everyone says, the shading doesn't need to be in colour. Infact, black and white shading, done softly, can look even better! :)

A great effort. Keep up the good work. :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=darkblue]All you really need to do is improve your proportions a little, and add some shading to give a smoother effect.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Haha, proportions...I'm sooo bad at thos....proportions and shading...I have no concept of those what so ever :p

And thank you everyone for your comments! These are the things I was looking for, because so many of you are such good artists :D I won't ever reach a lot of your levels, but I can try :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B]

[color=deeppink]Haha, proportions...I'm sooo bad at thos....proportions and shading...I have no concept of those what so ever :p

And thank you everyone for your comments! These are the things I was looking for, because so many of you are such good artists :D I won't ever reach a lot of your levels, but I can try :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]Well, I remember a friend of mine who started drawing anime style pictures in the first few weeks of my Visual Communication & Design classes at school last year...

And at first, he was terrible. His pictures were really bad.

But he kept practicing...and soon he was shading with colours...and using digital effects on computer to improve his images.

He didn't have a lot of natural ability, but he just kept trying...

Your first pic is miles better than his was lol. So all you need to do is keep trying. :)

By the way, I love your avatar. lol.

When I look at that now, I always imagine you looking like that. lol[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=darkblue]

Your first pic is miles better than his was lol. So all you need to do is keep trying. :)

By the way, I love your avatar. lol.

When I look at that now, I always imagine you looking like that. lol[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Merci...et merci :) My avatar fits me quite well I believe...I've always been Buttercup (while my friend is Bubbles) and that picture is very "me". Hehehe, you can picture me like that...because that's the cynical/mean side of me! Hehehe :p[/color]

It's a good pic. I'm a wanna-be myself, but I prolly have been interested a lil longer in the arts, so I might be able to help. You obviously weren't going for a well defined pic, because it's so sketchy, so you did a very good job with it. The face is a little too fat on top, and the width of the bridge of his nose is a little large too. His right eye (which is on the left since you're facing him) is great, but his left one should have the same sort of point, where it slants two different ways. And I would make the hair a little less messy. Other than that, it's great! Hope that was helpful, and not offensive or anything, I was just offering some constructive criticism.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ~Boy Wonder~ [/i]
[B]It's a good pic. I'm a wanna-be myself, but I prolly have been interested a lil longer in the arts, so I might be able to help. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Hah! You're no wanna-be...you're much, much better than I. I definitely respect your art, and I definitely respect your critique.[/color]

[COLOR=royalblue][SIZE=4]its kinda strange really everyone says there begginners but every pic is far better than mine and ive been practasing for about a year now, once i get my scanner i'll post a couple of my pics but yours are all very good, i will admit the resize does look a little better but never mind its your drawing and you should be pround of it[/SIZE] [/COLOR]