OtakuBoards

do you hide?

Eve

Do you ever hide...like um...lets see how can I put this..as in hide I mean that ...do you act different from the real world then online? I think I'm a little more open then I am in the real world but just a little I think I really don't know if I act different I guess that mint be the same for you but maybe not...of-course I can't tell if you do or not..cause well I just can't go in and get your ideas ya know so let me know.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=002E55]I try to act online pretty much how I do in real life, although it's hard to convey emotions, jokes etc. using text.

I suppose a lot of people do, but it's a welcome break for them. They don't want to be the same person as they are in real life; maybe they're having problems or are just sick of their regular lifestyles.[/color]

Guest cloricus
I am very different online; I act myself a lot more than I do irl. Though not so much here? As for conveying emotions it is possible, you just have to understand the text that you?re reading.

Eps

The way I type kind of conveys that I'm maybe more exact and uptight and whatever else than I really am. I guess it just depends on who I'm talking to. I'm sure some people here that I talk to would tell you I'm not like that, but maybe some others would say I am. Who knows.

That said, I don't really think I act much different overall. I'm a lot more of a weird and sarcastic person in real life compared to on OB, but definately not compared to how I am on the rest of the internet. I think this whole "good post quality" thing on OB was beaten into me till the point that I have a hard time not making long, involved posts... something I actually regret at times. Does anyone honestly read all this crap I type?

Anyway. I honestly don't give a crap what anyone here really thinks of me overall. I'll never meet 99% of you, if even any. Some of us are closer than others, and I value those friendships (I'm not counting you people in the group I'm indifferent to, so don't send me any pissy IMs lol)... but it's a rather small number compared to how many actually come here. If people hate me, cool. If people like me, well that's a little better I guess, but it doesn't affect how I act on here either way.

So no, I don't purposely act different on here than I normally would.

[color=darkblue]This has sort of switched around for me.

I used to have many more intimate relationships online than I did in real life.

But lately I've been avoiding people -- isolating myself, if you will. I don't go very many places anymore, and I only really talk to my two best girlfriends. If it's anyone but them on the caller ID, I don't even pick up the phone.

Online, I still post on the boards, but I only rarely talk on AIM, and mostly only communicate through e-mail or PM if someone contacts me first. It's not that I don't like people as much... or am trying to blow people off... it's just that I've been lost in my own thoughts, and I also don't want to depress anybody.

Come to think of it, if I didn't come here, people would think I'd dropped off the face of the earth...[/color]

I'm more open in real life, I sort of shrink away online, prolly because I cant see who I'm talking to, and that makes me feel weird. I'm the type who is opposite to those who come online to hdie from things in real life. I come online to have fun :p

[color=crimson][font=times new roman]Well im not too good at self analyzing either...I tend to sometimes act abit more immature online then I am in RL...

Maybe thats me venting cause im so damn mature and serious all the time in RL...Its good to just use the internet to vent and have abit of fun ya know :p

Life cant always be serious...doom and gloom stuff...Although unfortunatly it all too often is...

Bah this is what you get when you post at 4 in the morning... :devil: [/font][/color]

Well I don't think there's any point in being a different person online than I am in real life. However, I am more guarded here than I am in real life, so there are limits as to what I would discuss about myself or what I contribute to discussions. But anything that I post either through threads or PMs are honest answers and opinions

[color=teal]Offline, I'm Miss So-Totally-Uber-Mega-Kewliez-Hot-Know-It-All Popularity.

Online, no one can see me, which is why I act a little differently. Online, I'm a bit more intelligent and less conservative.[/color]

I'm not as articulate offline because I'm able to collect my thoughts better when typing.

But, I'm not living vicariously through the Internet or anything. I don't have a dolled up life that I hide behind and I don't try to be something I'm not. TVE (who God bless his soul, tries his best to be like his hero, yours truly) seems to think that I act a bit differently, but he can't put his chubby little finger on it. So, who knows? Maybe I'm more open online? Probably. :shrugs:

But, you know, it's not easy being this charismatic--and it's not something that I can easily conceal. So, why be ashamed of it? I let it shine on through, baby!

All the peeps whom I talk to regularly know what I mean. Even the uptight ones who have [i]no[/i] sense of humor and talk of nothing but Wallstreet and stocks, like Tony and Lady Asphyxia.

Perhaps who I am is hidden by peoples' false impressions or whatever, but I can't please everyone. So, like it or not, everyone here gets 100 percent Charlie all the time.

[i]If that [b]iiiis[/b] my real name.[/i] :shifty:

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

[size=1][color=blue]Online I am a complete different person. I put on a mask on at school and pretend to be someone that I am not. I dont feel like having everyone pity me so I just kind of tuck my problems away til I get home. While im online I am a little bit to open with my problems, at times I want to tell myself to shut the **** up. If you were to talk to me online and in person you would see that I am a complete person, while in person sometimes I act somewhat over confident and am usually happy I am really quite self conscience and am always depressing over some little problem while at home.[/size][/color]

I don't really hide online. However, people who know me IRL tend to say that I'm a lot more humourous online than I am in person. I open up a lot more online, and I think it's because if I mess up and say something stupid, you don't know who I am, you've never seen me, and you can't hang it over my head.

But I used to hide (not here though. Never here.) behind a false personality both online and offline (although they were differing personalities), and it really screwed with my brain. So I learned my lesson, and now I just act the same way I do offline, here.

And it hasn't killed me yet, has it? ^_~

--Sere

wow!.!*maybe i sould be like i'am i real life...*nah!!!<.< >.>...i'm not crazy i'm not crazy i'm not talk'n to my self...ya i am...i need to stop that<.< >.> ahhhh....i did it...stop! back on topic..if i were like i was in the real world i would only have like 0 reply heck i wouldn't be on so i guess in some cases it is good to act
different...but good to uphold your own personality.

I am more outspoken online. Approach me with the same topics that I get in OB in RL, and I will either present nothing or will be indifferent to it. I guess I just hate the confrontation part where opinions clash and arguments begin. I hate doing that in real life, as I suck in it. I prefer to do it online where its less... stressful.

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]I guess you could say that. o.o
I tend to act a little happier online. Even when someone says something that really offends me irl, I just try my best not to sound as offended, and come off a little nicer. Besides, I usually feel better this way. ^_^;;

But I'm usually just myself. I type the way I talk, and alot of times, the way I talk doesn't make much sense, so the way I type doesn't make sense, and...*fades*[/color] [/size]

Oh well, I have to admit that I'm more open online, I mean, no one here will never ever see me face-to-face, ever... So if what I say is harsh or stupid or whatever, it won't make a difference... But I'm most likely more sarcastic IRL, and more "sleepy-head"... That's what I think...

I'm definatly at least more guarded with my words online, but as for hiding - I wouldn't say I do that, it's more of a feeling of being [i]engulfed[/i] then hiding.

As for being differant online vs. real life; my real life is the Internet, it's all I do. (Seriously, I wake up in fits of my fingers in the air typing at imaginary keyboards..) I work with comps all day, I get home and watch cartoons or draw or read. Get up and do the same thing over again - and as much as I'm on a comp at work, I still get home and want to get on it some more; I think I just like all the information out here. So, I guess I don't really act differant 'cause I'm not really here to make friends (no disrespect to to people that do act differant, or whom are here to make friends), I'm here because this is something that interests me and I like to participate, as myself.

I will have to admit however that no-one will ever catch me airing out my dirty little secrets online...

[B]its what they do not say[/B]...

yes that is right
for all we now anybody could be hold'n back anything...even me....and the suff we hold back,not little stuff,could help are harm that is why we do not tell or it just cause you are not what you want to be in the real world so you put your self as you want to be online,and not want'n to reveal the truth to your self why your are someone else.but is that really the case?[B]its what they do not say[/B]

I assume people talk, well act differntly online because I do. I'm sad really, I find talking to people online so much easier than talking in real life. Yet I always have to hide behing my 'appear offline' msn symbol.

This different medium of communicating, when no one can see the emotion on your face, or quite sense your tone of voice. Somehow, it all seems quite unemotional, but its all there for you to hide behind. And you can be the person you are not but you want to be, simply because you can. and its also where paedophiles hide.. :/

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Hmm well for all intents and purposes I acted pretty much the same when I'm offline or online personality wise. Though online I'm not as open mainly for the fact I tend not to discuss a lot of my personal life more in paticular my past with complete strangers. It takes me awhile to open up to people online and sometimes I just don't depending on who the person is.

As the saying goes there are some people you feel comfortable with and there are others you don't. Online I feel comfortable maybe with 5% of OB members those that I've grown close to.