OtakuBoards

do you hide?

Eve

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mnemolth [/i]
[B]The interesting thing about a thread like this is not what people say, its what they do not say. :D [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Yeah, but I'm too lazy to read between the lines. :p

Personally, I think I act pretty much the same online as I do in person. I might be a bit more talkative online, but that could be for some other reason(s) too, not just because it's over the net. It's not really that I'm shy; I don't mind talking to people (unless they're annoying, heh), or getting my picture taken, or getting up in front of people, or stuff like that. It also depends on how well I know the person I'm talking with, too. The more I get to know someone (online or in person), the more I'm inclined to talk.

So yeah, I think I act pretty much the same online as I do in person.[/color]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Charles [/i]
[B]I'm not as articulate offline because I'm able to collect my thoughts better when typing.[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkblue]You know, I really understand this.

When you're posting, you can proof-read, re-write, design what you're going to say first, etc. You can even delete it if you don't like what you've said later.

I, for example, immediately edit any posts I've made if they have a typo (unless I've missed it because my computer is acting up). It is very easy to act like your ideal self on these boards, if you make the effort. It's not like you have to make an immediate response in a conversation -- you can take time to think about what you are going to say.

Perhaps if any of you knew me in real life, except for those of you who have spoken to me on the phone, you'd be surprised with what I'd really say. I literally have no time-lag between my immediate thoughts and my tongue.

Charles, I see you, from your posts, as an extremely intelligent yet sensitive person. I perceive things about you. Yet, these could be totally false, because, as you said, you have time to manipulate, if you will, your response. But, at the same time, these are the things you really want to express without the awkwardness of social pressure.

And Juuthena, I am not quite sure what to say. I know it is hard for you to bond with people because you have to move around so much. But all of us on OB... we will [i]always[/i] be here for you, no matter where in the world you are. I promise you that, and I know many others will promise the same thing. You have become part of our family, and you never have to worry about losing us. We're all together, babe, as long as we have net access. [/COLOR] :p

i understand what ur all saying. i am different online than in life because in life... im not sure- how i am on here is a cross between being with my friends, and being with my mum. i will joke and talk about sumstuff with my friends, but i open up to my mum. so thanx a lot u guys. i suppose it is because u dont know the other people on here (or most of them) and that way you can be freer without fear of rebuttal(i think that is a word... means being pushed back/away...?) so once again thanx u guys.hehehe

[size=1]I don't know that I intentionally "hide" any aspect of myself particularly. There are some things that don't translate well to type, obviously, but...

I tend to be nicer online than I really am. :toothy:

And I use a lot less orange here than I do IRL. *is wearing orange tank top with orange plaid blouse tied around shoulders* Whether that means anything or not... :whoops:[/size]

Guest Imsirion
I guess I act diffrently in three diffrent situations. Around people I'm not familiar with, I'm kind of shy, quiet, or make myself come across as mean and uncaring, just so they leave me alone.

With friends and family, I'm myself. Happy, sometimes loud, nice, but sometimes sarcastic. Its hard to explain but I'm just more comfortable.

Online, I speak my mind more than I would around friends/family and I wouldn't be surprised if I came across as a jerk.

Oh well, I'm to complex for my own good. But I've been working on being myself and most importantly comfortable all the time.

Guest Mechanicalwings
i hide.....the way i act the way i talk to people,but it only because i'm...well i hold back in the real world so i want to....i guess be more brave here..yah that's it that's why...

[color=crimson]I'm the same IRL. A bit more humorous, I use alot of gestures and acting in my humor and its hard to convey on the internet- In general I just use witty one-liners or something, its easier.

I cuss more IRL- alot more, thats the major difference I can see, the only one actually. Aside from that, i'm more random IRL a bit- sort of a non-stop ramble about odd things no one considers.

But, I have alot more periods of just silence- pure silence. When I dont feel like talking IRL, I actually usually get on here for my daily dose of humanity. Heh.

Nothing else comes to mind..[/color]

[color=#9933ff]I don't really hide online. I'm a very open person, I think. But if you say something to me that's rude, dirty, or insulting, even if it's meant to be joking, I will usually get more angry at you online, just because I have the power, with words, to smacks you with my WoPP, bop you with squeaky mallet, or pour purple nailpolish on your head. Ocassionally If you say that stuff, I'll just scream at you. ^^ Besides, I don't see the point of making mean jokes about people. It's just idiotic.[/color]

I don't really hide online. I usually tell you how I think and why I think that. It is hard for me to express myself online though, I don't really get some things that people say... I missenturprate somethings and I tend to get into trouble for doing it sometimes. All in all, I am pretty straight-foward with what I say online. I don't like trying to be something that I'm not and that is what I enturprate of what you are saying... :babble:

Guest Matt
[color=red][b]I am very straight forward in life as I am online. I tell it like it is. No hiding. Hiding is for the weak.[/b][/color]

[color=#9933ff]Telling it like it is, is not a bad thing, and I prefer truth over lies. My Grandfather and father have always said that Honesty Is The Best Policy. However, wording it incorrectly will get you into big trouble one day, I can absoltely guaruntee you that. Just keep an eye on that. ;)[/color]

Guest Otaku Acolyte
The question for me is not whether i act differently. i have no definition of normal. This chaos grants me a way of thinking where no one is valued above the other.

I hide IRL,but spout like a moron online. After all, I'm actually discussing this topic, right?
Thing is, IRL, your emotions are out there, and anyone can read them. I guess I'm really just a little more serious and self-critical online than in the world. It's just that the world is so small and inconspicous, there's really no point to baring yourself before it.

Guest GarFunKle
i hide all the time, i argue with myself for hours and sit in the corner and crack up and cry. i am mentally unstable in most forms and people think i am some derranged weirdo!
it makes me sick to think people assume i am a lunatic when they dont know me, so what if i spy through my neighbours windows and rummage through their garden at 4am. im disturbed not a freak, i need help not more torture to destroy whats left of my fragile mind...

I guess you could say on the net, I'm Na'dou. In the real world I'm just Jana'. On the net, I usually am myself, but I show my emotions more. Plus, I have more humor on the net *calling 911....Help, she thinks she's funny!* Anyway, I also communicate better on the net. I might not be able to spell, but I can get my point out better by writing than actually speaking. I hope to be a famous person on the net, but that'll be in 1,000,000,000 years. A million just won't cut it...

Hmmm...i think i act somewhat different online compared to IRL..but then again i dont, im an open-minded, hyper, loud person IRL and im pretty much the same online. However- I tend to hide my problems online and make it seem like everything is okay with my life, i guess thats where im different. I try to by myself when im online incase i ever meet anyone from the internet, i dont want them knowing a total stranger..

Did that make any sense at all? O_o *dies*

Guest Peekatchu
I am me on the net and off but no one knows how i feel because I keep everything bottled up. You have to when your the most popular gurlie in school though!

I try to be the same online as I am in real life. I mean I act the same, my grammer's the same, I like to be a little different, and I'm not popular, as I'm not here. But I still am the same old me, and I try to be the same online as I am offline. As I said before.

It's easier for me to speak online than in reality. I get tongue tied and twisted pretty easy, but I write well. If I have something important to say, I usually write it. That way I know it comes out right. Other than that, I'm pretty much the same. Maybe just a little more open. Or should I say, quicker to be open.