OtakuBoards

Anime Convetions

Aya_Fujimiya_42

On conventions ... I've never been to one, and I'm wondering for anyone who cosplays, what the appeal of it is. I'm not putting it down or anything, I would just like to know what you enjoy about it, as I've never done it :).

Same here. No offense, cosplay is cool and all, but what appeals most to you people about it? It's a very curious thing to wonder about.

Aside from that, what's it like at an anime convention? I've never been to one. Even though I know they have Anime cons here where I live, I don't have a group of friends to go with, so I don't go. *sniff* SO YA!! Anyways, what one like? Like what goes on and such?

THANX (in advance)!!
-Pv.01

Hm.. Could've sworn I posted in here...

^_^ I went to the Anime Expo in Anaheim, and searched for Shy and Syk, but to no prevail. :( I didn't cosplay, but I might want to next year.. I'm not sure though.. I don't like dressing up at all, let alone as blue-haired magicians.. (No offense.. Blue-haired magicians rock!! Hehe.. Elk.)

For me, I only found out when it was gonna be 2 days before it started, so I was really caught off-guard. If I had known, let's say, a month in advance, I would've brought along my otaku friends (Wait.. There's only 2.) But I'm pretty sure one of them would have cosplayed..

^_^ I plan on going back every year until (And after) I meet people from OB there. *waves OB flag*

I wanted to go to the San Diego Comic-Con, but that's too far away, and again, on very short notice for me.

[COLOR=firebrick][B]I'm going to Anime North with a few friends and my sister next May. *sparkly shoujo eyes* My first con! *reverts to normal eyes* I'm probably going to cosplay...Kitsune or maybe Ryoko Mitsurugi...Not sure. But I guess the point of cosplay is just to have fun. Like the point of all costuming: it's a chance to pretend to be someone else! *sigh* Halloween come early. C-ya on the other side! *flys off on one of her winged monkey soldiers*[/COLOR][/B]

Hm, maybe that's the problem. I never enjoyed Halloween very much. Although I do think making the costume and taking pictures as an anime character would be fun, I'd feel a little strange walking around in public like that. Especially as I probably wouldn't end up looking like the character ...

But hey, if you like it, more power to ya! And I've heard that people sometimes want to take pictures with cosplayers, which probably gives you that star feeling :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B]^_^ I went to the Anime Expo in Anaheim, and searched for Shy and Syk, but to no prevail. :( [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]You should've told us you were going!!! :p
Shy, Yoshi, and I met at the Anime Expo, after quite a while of looking for each other. Until then, I basically walked around taking pictures of people with really neat costumes, entered a few raffles, got a few free posters, and even posed for about three-five random people, when I wasn't even cosplaying as an actual anime character! ^ .^;; But once we met, we walked around the convention, got a few autographs, and talked for about an hour and a half. (Sudden Family Reunion popped up).

It was really fun, and I really want to go again next year if I can. Maybe then, I'll actually dress up as an actual anime character! ^^;;

(Not Athena anymore, though. They threw it away with all my other old boxes last month, so I've heard. :shifty: )[/color] [/size]

[quote][i]Juuthena wrote:[/i]You should've told us you were going!!!
Shy, Yoshi, and I met at the Anime Expo, after quite a while of looking for each other. Until then, I basically walked around taking pictures of people with really neat costumes, entered a few raffles, got a few free posters, and even posed for about three-five random people, when I wasn't even cosplaying as an actual anime character! ^ .^;; But once we met, we walked around the convention, got a few autographs, and talked for about an hour and a half. (Sudden Family Reunion popped up).[/quote]

^_^ Heh. Well, I think I did.. In a 3-week old Anaheim-AX-specific thread.. ^_^' I looked for y'all but to no prevail. :( ("Y'all? *gasp* I'm becoming a word-slurring hillbilly!!! GAH!! NO!!! *reads a book on quantum physics. Ah... That's better.)

Heh. Shy, Yoshi AND Juuthena.. All in one place.. An OB powerhouse. I would've just gotten in the way..

(((END OF LITTLE RANT)))

To vary the topic a bit.. How many OBers who went to an anime convention and actually cosplayed? If so, whodja cosplay as?

[size=1][color=teal]Well I'm going to an Anime Convention this Weekend called Anime Evolution I believe in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. well just before Vancouver but yeah, I was going to cosplay, never got the costume for my characters that I wanted to be though. It should be great and I will be coming home with a fair amount of anime.[/size][/color]

Guest TriGunMaSta68
I am going to the Anime Weekend Atlanta with Maladjusted i think....if she will still let me =(

I went to A-Kon 14 in June. That was my first con, and I had a lot of fun. Cosplayed as Kyo from Dir en Grey. O.o

I MIGHT go to Numa Rei-No Con in December. Dunno yet.

I live in San Antonio....there aren't big anime conventions here. ;__;

So ... having never been to an anime convention, nor read up on them, I actually have no idea what goes on there. Well, I've heard something like, anime showings and big anime personas ... or something. Anyone care to enlighten me?

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TriGunMaSta68 [/i]
[B]I am going to the Anime Weekend Atlanta with Maladjusted i think....if she will still let me =( [/B][/QUOTE]

::laughs:: Why would I [i]not[/i] let you? It would be cool if any other OBers would go to the AWA convention if they live near Atlanta. I think so far the only people I know are going are keyblade, trigunmasta, and me. Although, we [i]still[/i] need some transport! lol.

I'm probably going to raid the Dealer's Room. :P[/size]