OtakuBoards

Blood-thirsty Mosquitos of Doom

Fall

What is the go. Now, it's 8:50PM, it's been dark for two hours, it's humid, it's hot, it's dry, and we've got these damn huge mosquitos flying around all over the place. If I listen carefully enough, I can hear them thumping into the windows of my room. And they bite you on the skin like it's the last day in hell.

It's been like this for two weeks. There's nothing on the news, nothing. Everyone's talking about it. It's like this; as soon as the sun goes down, it comes up again. :drunk: The moon is heaps bright -so it seems. These killer mosquitos are flying around like it's going out of fashion. Damn, it's not like this during the day, just at night. Every morning we have to literally shovel the dead mosquitos out from under the door-step, the door linings, and they're all over the driveway.

...well, that's all. Has anything ever happened in your area, that's gone un-mentioned for ages? On the other hand, un-mentioned all together? I mean, out of the ordinary. Not ghosty stuff. Things in real-life. That's just plain weird, insane, stupid.

...never know. Maybe I'll find a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow that's beginning to set.. just over there. :smoke:

[size=1] Kind of reminds me of this time when we went out to a batch for a holiday out in Kaikoura, north of Christchurch, which had this out house for a toilet. Anyway, when I needed to go, I went out, and in came these killer flies from hell.
Oly they didn't bite :demon:

So yeah, bottom line, I know what it's like, to a degree :sweat: [/size]

I've never had something like that at my house, but I have seen it before. When my family was driving to Lake Tahoe a week or two ago, we stopped by a small lake to check it out. It was saltwater, and the shore was also salt, not sand. Then there was this thick line of flies, about a foot wide and two feet deep, that was constantly flying around the lake. I mean like 50BILLION FRIGGIN FLIES! Then you get to the edge of the water, and the first 8 feet or so out is covered in files. The water looks black. Not that you can see it, anyway. Lucky they weren't mosquitos, or I wouldn't be here posting.

[size=1]We have issues with Demon Biting Ladybugs from Hell in the late summer/early fall. They're all over the place. And...they bite.

Apparently they're really [i]Asian[/i] ladybugs or something. They're more "bittersweet" (for those of you who remember your Crayola colors) than red. They only showed up a couple years ago. I think....well, we still had lots of ladybugs all over the place then, but they only started biting us a couple years ago.

It sucks.

You might be walking along, minding your own business, and suddenly notice that a bug has bitten you on the arm--annoying, if not painful. You look at your arm, and the only creature there is a ladybug. Aww. So cute. You turn your arm some more to try and find the biting culprit, and suddenly you notice that the ladybug (which certainly doesn't looks cute anymore) [i]has sunk its mandibles into your flesh.[/i]

It took a while for people to actually register that these things bite. Everyone's been fond of ladybugs for so long, they didn't really believe the stupid things had gone psycho on us.

[b]Me:[/b] Yeah, that was a lot of--hey! Watch out, those things bite.
[b]Some idiot[/b]: What? Nah, it's just a ladybug.
[b]Me:[/b] Yah? Well, it's a [i]psycho[/i] ladybug. Get it off your arm, it'll bite you.
[b]Idiot:[/b] Oh, come [i]on[/i]. Ladybugs don't bite.
[b]Me:[/b] *acidly* That one does.
[b]Idiot:[/b] Puh-[i]lease[/i]. You've never been---YAAGH! The sucker [i]bit[/i] me!

w00t.

So, yeah. I've reached my daily quota for insect posts... Have fun.[/size]

[size=1] . . . Wow, I consider myself lucky. As far as I can remember, nothing like that has happened in Tulsa . . . O_o;;

Although Lousiana was a nightmare. I'm highly allergic to mosquito bites, and I also attract mosquitos like nobody's business. And where did Mum and Dad decide to take a trip to the [b]very first day[/b] in Lousiana? The swamps.

God, talk about evil killer mosquitos.

The crickets are big in Lousiana . . . o_o;;

--Sere[/size]

[color=royalblue]I hear you Sere! I live on the marsh that connects to San Fransisco Bay AND the delta. So we get mosquitos every night. HUGE FAT UGLY biting types. The kind that you slap and then get a smear of blood on your arm from. Only, that's not YOUR blood...it's sombody elses.

My solution? I went to Pier One Imports and bought myself a frickin' mosquito net. Probem solved. [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][size=1]Apparently they're really [i]Asian[/i] ladybugs or something.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I hate those damn things. And they congregate all on one side of your house and wait. They wait for you to come out and then feast on you.
*shudders*
And they have suprisingly large mandibles for such a small creature.

yea i have some huge mosquitos,and they do fly around the edge of my house,and so i walk out into the woods.not a single one bites me until i get to my spot where i *cough*meditateand and has any one seen the movie birds?yea it was like that,they come from everywhere and attack you,until m cat comes,then they go away for some reason O_o;

That's why I avoid going outside. I was out for two seconds and biting flies covered my legs and mosquitoes attacked my ears (don't ask)
Has anyone been attacked by spiders? I'm bitten every night. Last summer, my left leg was HUGE, it was so swollen. Yesterday I was brushing my hair and a spider fell out of it and bit me three times in the neck. They don't even live in my room. They drop from the vents and attack me.

[size=0] [color=silver]Well, this isnt as bad as some of these other people's stories, but as soon as dusk falls, all these cicaidas(arg! can't spell it!) come out and start making all sorts of rukus, its not so bad to hear them chirping until yiou are trying to go to sleep,and they keep chirping all night long. It sounds as if they are all shoved inside your ear they are so loud.But its gross when you wake up and go outside to get the paper, and their dead bodies are laying around..its sooo gross, all they are is chirping red cock roaches in my eyes...eeeew! Also, flies and mosquito's get into the house b/c we have a screen door that doesnt close very fast (and my dad broke the door frame..so now our wooden door outside of the screen door doesnt close either..) so we get all sorts of bugs inside, but the weird part of this is, my dog, auggie, chases the bug around the kitchen when it gets in, and then eventually he chomps on it, and it falls to the ground dead, and then my other dog, sky, eats it.[/color] [/size]

They're actually vampire transformers sent by Satan. He's been getting lonely.
I haven't seen any unusual activities near my area. If I had, I'd probably run out of the state screaming like a five year old girl. However, we have these large flies. They're like the size of my thumb and they don't do anything, but it's really scary when you can see every one of its bubbling eyes stare at you. The greedy hand rub thing is just creepy. I think its plotting something.

[color=crimson][size=1] When I used to live in Arkansas, there was this one summer exactly like yours. My sister had to go to the hospital because she had been biten so many times and got sick. My mom freaked out and thought my sister had the West Nile Virius. It was funny, but the mosquitos were friggin' annoying...[/color][/size]

[color=indigo]I've always hated mosquitos but now we have the threat of West Nile Virus on our hands. There is only one type of mosquito that has the virus but its not like we can tell one from the other. So now you're always wondering...was that a mosquito that had West Nile? Lol oh well so far it hasn't been that bad...[/color]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Oh gosh, when I lived in Galveston, the mosqitoes were everywhere! Everyday, I'd get like, five more bites, and especially since we had this huge lake/pond in front of our apartments, with really lukewarm water.

But now I live in San Francisco, like, right smack in the Richmond district (The coldest area). And I was sooooooooo happy, since the mosquitoes always came to me, instead of my parents or any of my friends. >>;;;[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sere Tuscumbia [/i]
[B][size=1] . . . Wow, I consider myself lucky. As far as I can remember, nothing like that has happened in Tulsa . . . O_o;;

Although Lousiana was a nightmare. I'm highly allergic to mosquito bites, and I also attract mosquitos like nobody's business. And where did Mum and Dad decide to take a trip to the [b]very first day[/b] in Lousiana? The swamps.

God, talk about evil killer mosquitos.

The crickets are big in Lousiana . . . o_o;;

--Sere[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHA! You should be glad you aren't here now. It's rained a good seventy percennt of the summer here, and all of that water goes [i]nowhere[/i]. So what happens? The mosquitoes spawn like ****, that's what. What Fall described in his first post? It's like that almost 24/7.

Your parents dragged you into the swamps alone? Or you had a guide?

And yes, crickets are big here. Specifically, I found one the size of a fully-grown frog yesterday. I had my lighter with me, so I burned it. :D But still.

Not too long ago, we had an infestation of termites city-wide. Don't know where the Hell they all came from, but if you walked outside, and stood still for about five minutes, you'd be covered in them.

We have a lot of wasps here, too. The big ones the size of a half-dollar piece. They hurt like [i]Hell.[/i]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Chaos [/i]
[B]And yes, crickets are big here. Specifically, I found one the size of a fully-grown frog yesterday. I had my lighter with me, so I burned it. :D But still.

Not too long ago, we had an infestation of termites city-wide. Don't know where the Hell they all came from, but if you walked outside, and stood still for about five minutes, you'd be covered in them.

We have a lot of wasps here, too. The big ones the size of a half-dollar piece. They hurt like [i]Hell.[/i] [/B][/QUOTE] [COLOR=royalblue]Suddenly I'm overjoyed that I live by the ocean. Our crickets are the size of the first thumb joint. Our termites do not exist. Our houses are built of stucco and stone and tile. And our wasps are nice and tiny. The kind that stop short when confronted with a jetstream of Raid.[/COLOR]

I hear that there is even a more serious disease than malaria/yellow fever that mosquitos are able to carry. Im not exactly sure what it is called, but it is more deadly than malaria. I heard it on the news and they say its been like the first time it has gone up the east coast in about 20 years since it has rained so much in the past month of June. There has only been one case of it so far in New Jersey (it killed the person which is really bad), and experts say it may get even worse in the month of August. So im kinda worried since i get bit by the annoying useless things all the time. I still dont know why they even exist in the the first place mosquitos dont benefit the egosystem in anyway. They just are mini vampires that suck up blood and go berserk from it and then suck up more blood tell they die(i dont know...a weird statement i just made there but oh well). So what does everyone say...should we all go on a mosquito killing spree???

[COLOR=coral][SIZE=1]Mousquitoes...well, since I was very young, I was sensitive to their bites. I mean, if one bit me, I develop an itchy rash by the next day, it won't go away for sometime. Living in a mousquitoe infested area and diagnosed allergic to those things really doesn't work out.

Other than that there aren't many insects around. Prolly because of the spiders. Lotsa spiders and frogs. I live by a lake where there are always spiders, frogs and snakes.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=red][size=1]Well... Aren't I the lucky one? O_o;;

In England we don't seem to have that much trouble with insects. We get PLENTY of gnats around bushes and trees in the summer-time, but aside from that we don't get that much in the way of insects. Bees and wasps are kinda common, but you leave them alone, they leave you alone. And we get the odd spider. *shrugs* I've [i]finally[/i] found an advantage to living in Britain! Wooo! O_o;;[/color][/size]

Guest Crimson Spider
Makes me glad I live in a desert :D.

Good things is that only female mosquitos bite, and only during certain times of the year, when the breed. They actually eat necter. Blood is for their babies.

Well, they only come out really in the afternoon and moring. Ironically, that is also the time in which fish bite the best.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by keyblade [/i]
[B][size=0] [color=silver]Well, this isnt as bad as some of these other people's stories, but as soon as dusk falls, all these cicaidas(arg! can't spell it!) come out and start making all sorts of rukus, its not so bad to hear them chirping until yiou are trying to go to sleep,and they keep chirping all night long. It sounds as if they are all shoved inside your ear they are so loud.But its gross when you wake up and go outside to get the paper, and their dead bodies are laying around..its sooo gross, all they are is chirping red cock roaches in my eyes...eeeew![/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]We got those here too.

In the summer, they're a common sound, that everyone is used to.

In the winter, they're an annoying-bent sound, and they're only around at night. It seems so out of place here, when you hear cicadas screaming all night, when you're used to them in summer.

With the doom-mosquitos flying around, and those cicadas of hell, it's not a very nice night to go to sleep with. Not to mention, the freezing cold weather..

[QUOTE][I]Originally posted by Crimson Spider[/i]
[b]Well, they only come out really in the afternoon and moring. Ironically, that is also the time in which fish bite the best.[/b][/quote]
Damn, I hate it how that is. You sit there, mosqitos eating your flesh away, waiting to catch a fish. Lucky we don't have the doom-mosqitos down at the river..

Funny, I'd rather do that and catch a fish then go home with nothing for tea.