OtakuBoards

If you could erase one human emotion..what would it be and why?

Bishie

[COLOR=crimson]Okay, I don't think anyone has posted a thread like this before and i just [B]had[/B] to.

Lately i've been getting extremely jealous over my girlfriend and her friend. I know I shouldn't because I have no reason to worry at all, but the emotion is still there and its driving me CRAZY!! whats more, I hate myself for feeling this because it seems to me i don't trust her or whatever.
Now i know emotions are a good thing..and jealousy in small doses can do wonders.

But it got me thinking. If you could erase [B]one[/B] human emotion..what would it be and why?

I think by the small rant i wrote before i actually asked the question, everyone can see what emotion id love to do away with lol ^_^[/color]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of like the whole spectrum of human emotion. I think it would be kind of weird to meet someone who was never, ever overly excited or sad or angry or random or whatever else. I like having an evil side and a nice side and all that.

However, I guess I'd have to I'd probably get rid of jealousy. I cannot think of one beneficial thing it has ever lead to in my life.

[color=orangered]Well... one human emotion... *ponders*

I could say jealousy too... it's an emotion I feel way too much. But I dunno. Isn't it our flaws which make us human? If we didn't get jealous, what would tell us we cared?

I think the emotion I would do away with would be [b]lack of self worth[/b] - I guess it's not an emotion as such, but it's a state of mind, and it's a thing we feel. I think I'm safe to say it. People constantly underestimate their own worth or their own talents. And, trust me, it's not a comfortable thing to doubt your self worth.

There, that's my tuppence. ^_^;;[/color]

It would be frustration for me. It makes me lose my calm and it gives me a major, painful headache. I just hate it so! Gah! I don't mind anger or sadness cuz life would be unentertaining and boring without it, but frustration is something i could deffiently live without.

I would choose to erase NOTHING of human emotion. People's emotions are defined, I belive, by the apex of their flaws. Consider this, what is bliss without misery? What is shame without pride? What is turbulence without tranquility? Human emotion is a beautiful vessel in both it's benevolent and malevolent qualities. What is love without hatred? For inevitebly humanity will try to find a distinction between the two. True love is so valuable today because hatred is so widely accepted, all of us are guilty of that. I also think without the malignant emotions such as jealousy we have no where to grow upon.

You realized that being jealous didn't solve the issue? While you cannot help or change the emotion usually, you will now learn to find better ways to deal with the emotion, and the emotion itself made you think. Pain has taught me far more than love.

"Cherish your own emotions and never undervalue them."
-Robert Henri

Guest Crimson Spider
I would erase hatred. NOT anger, mind you. Hatred.

Nothing good could ever come from this sin.

Anger isn't that bad at all. Lets say someone lets you down big time. Of course you are going to be angery at them. But you wouldn't hate them. Jealousy spawns hatred. Without hatred, jealousy wouldn't be so bad.

Love.

I would erase love.

Why deal with something that ruins your entire point of view on things? Why let something that distorts reality and makes you think things you don't want to?

Love is a weakness. When something happens to the ones you care about, what ensues? We cry and whine and beg and snivel. If we simply didn't care to that degree over someone, it would be much easier on all of us.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo[/i]
[B]Now that isn't true. Because love can give you strenght and hapiness, you just gotta understand it. Man, i have a habit for defending love, don't i?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, a true romantic DBD. I too would have to say I'd wanna get ride of the emotion of love, also. I argee with Chaos, cause to me love dose make you weak. Sometimes... Along with all the other reasons that had been stated. You can have happniess with out love, you may also be very strong with out it...I'd also want to put down one more but we can only say one. So I'll keep my mouth shut.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hataki Vash [/i]
[B]I would erase hatred as well. I hate it when people are sitting there making fun of each other, and beating each other up, I mean. Its just horrible. So, I would erase hatred, because that causes most of lifes problems in my opinion. [/B][/QUOTE]

What is love without hatred?

Oh ya , this goes out to the guy/girl who said he would erase LOVE: "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."- Matt Groening

But in all seriousness, i decide to quote Shakespeare; a man who made his writing an art form:

"But love is blind and lovers cannot see
The pretty follies that themselves commit;
For if they could, Cupid himself would blush
To see me thus transformed to a boy."

how true.

I would have to say anger. It makes us do things we all regret after. The world would be so different, the end result would seem strange, but i'm sure the world would be better off without it. I get teased mercilesly at school, and sometimes, I do things. I lost my best friend because of it, she won't even look at me anymore, but I suppose, it's because of all the teasing that I have a short fuse, I don't really know. I'm worse than InuYasha, a lot worse. I just really wish there was no anger, ultimately, anger is the cause of hate, but if there was no anger, the world would change completely, I really don't know if anything can be gotten rid of, because everything is connected to everything else, I'm just so confused, I probably lost half of you, I know I lost myself, i'm going to stop babbeling now, it's probably annoying the ones I lost. Don't mind me, I do that sometimes.

Pity, I hate it when people pity me.

It's like"don't feel sorry for me, i never asked for it. I can make it on my own, I don't need you to treat me any differently cause you feel sorry for me. I've made it this far without you, I don't need you now."

[I]People do not grow or strengthen their souls/morals without struggles in their life. If we pity them, then we stiffle their personal growth.[/I]

[B] Pity is not a good thing, I'm not saying to not help anyone, but do not help those who can help themselves. Only help the defenseless and weak.[/B]

I would erase the emotion of fear. That way, nothing could force me into an anxiety attack. Nothing could make me back out, for fear of said something. And I think it would be an overall improvement.

Fear can often halt someones life simply because it can cause them to be so cripplingly afraid that they cannot live normally.

I would usually say that I would erase love because I've been hurt so many times because of it, but if I did erase love then I would never had been remotely intreasted in Brolli. Nor would have I fallen in love with him after I had gotten to know him better.

So now I don't think I will, but one emotion I would get rid of is frustration because it almost always leads to someone screaming their heads off. ;)

Originally Posted by Drix D' Zanath:

[quote]What is love without hate?[/quote]

[color=red] It seems you were talking about emotions and there opposites, and I couldn't help but beg to differ on this comparison. The actual opposite of love is FEAR, not hate, and I belive this because while love can make you want to be closer to someone, hatred can ALSO make you want to get closer (most likely to do some form of harm), while fear can make you want to be farther away from someone. (Which is why its great to be both loved and feared at the same time. Kind of like a king. 'Cause like, people are there when you want 'em to be, and there not when ya DONT want 'em to be. Or something.)

Now, I wouldn't want to ERASE an emotion, but rather I would want to ESCAPE from an emotion for the day. Ok, back to the subject...FEAR is the emotion I would want to escape from.

Now, whats really bugging me is how you people are seeing hatred as an emtion. I dont necessarily think of hatred as an emotion, but rather a state of mind. OK!? Same goes for YOU,
unreasonableness! Thats a HABIT, not EMOTION!!! [size=4]ARGH!!![/size][/color]

Guest Skyechild91
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Braidless Baka [/i]
[B][color=orangered]Well... one human emotion... *ponders*

I could say jealousy too... it's an emotion I feel way too much. But I dunno. Isn't it our flaws which make us human? If we didn't get jealous, what would tell us we cared?

color] [/B][/QUOTE]
I totally agree. i dont like to get jealous, but if i didnt it would be kind of hard to feel upset, kinda. I hate feeling sorry for myself, though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HammerBlade [/i]
[B]
It seems you were talking about emotions and there opposites, and I couldn't help but beg to differ on this comparison. The actual opposite of love is FEAR, not hate, and I belive this because while love can make you want to be closer to someone, fear can make you want to be farther away from someone. (Which is why its great to be both loved and feared at the same time. Kind of like a king. 'Cause like, people are there when you want 'em to be, and there not when ya DONT want 'em to be. Or something.)

Ok, back to the subject...FEAR is the emotion I would want to eliminate. At least, for when I NEED to be brave. Yeah... [/B][/QUOTE]

Entry: hate
Function: verb
Definition: dislike
Synonyms: abhor, abominate, allergic to, anathematize, be loath, be reluctant, be sorry, can't stand, contemn, curse, deprecate, deride, despise, detest, disapprove, disdain, disfavor, dislike, disparage, down on, execrate, loathe, nauseate, object to, recoil from, scorn, shudder at, shun, spit upon, spurn
Antonyms: adore, approve, cherish, embrace, like, love, relish, treasure
Concept: hate
Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)
Copyright © 2003 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

------------
Entry: fear
Function: noun
Definition: alarm
Synonyms: abhorrence, agitation, angst, anxiety, apprehensiveness, aversion, awe, bugbear, chickenheartedness, cold feet, cold sweat, concern, consternation, cowardice, creeps, despair, discomposure, dismay, disquietude, distress, doubt, dread, faintheartedness, foreboding, fright, funk, horror, jitters, misgiving, nightmare, panic, phobia, presentiment, qualm, recreancy, reverence, revulsion, scare, suspicion, terror, timidity, trembling, tremor, trepidation, unease, uneasiness, worry
Antonyms: boldness, bravery, courage, fearlessness, valor
Concept: fear
Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)
Copyright © 2003 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

-----------------

An antonym is an opposite. The opposite of Love is Hate. Enough said. Without hate, or the acknowledgement and understanding of hate, love is pointless, or at the least diminish its significance.

This is why you can have love and fear when describing someone, yet you cannot love someone you hate within the same period of time.

Without hate, there would not be love because to every thing, there is an opposite. Ahte is an emotion necessary in all humans.
Jsut think of it as a counterpart to love. Hate makes life interestin. Although its not alswasy necessary.