OtakuBoards

If you could erase one human emotion..what would it be and why?

Bishie

My vote goes for selfishness. I've always said each and every problem can explain itself through the fact the humanity is, in it's vast majority, stupid and selfish. (Though frustration would be a good thing, simply for the fact I could stand the world :D)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Crimson Spider already said this, but mine is Hatred. Jealousy is not mortal, and with hatred removed it is difficult to sustain. Nothing wrong with getting angry at someone either, but the [i]hate[/i] is what has fueled many wars and racial hatreds and familial disputes. Anger dissipates. Jealousy is bearable. Hate kills. So remove hate from the equation, and while it would lead to a big difference, and a loss of our humanity as a whole, it could also help us to achieve our potential, with such a debilitating emotion removed.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Circéus [/i]
[B]My vote goes for selfishness. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Ooh, good, I agree. I can be a very selfish person, maybe that's because I was so spoiled growing up. I tend to pout until I get my way, even though it's childish and drives people crazy. If I could eliminate the selfishness that I seemingly carry endless amounts of then...things would be better :)

And for those who would want to human brain incapable of feeling love, I don't think it's a bad idea, but I certainly don't agree. I cry for the loss of my brother because he taught me countless lessons in life, and in turn made me much more whole. Is it love alone that creates my sadness?

I like loving people, and I love being loved. I like feeling needed, something that is perhaps a parallel emotion/feeling/habit/whatever. But before I found love I was supremely unhappy, angsty, and depressed. I didn't tend to wallow in my unahppiness, but the things that being surrounded by love brings is an otherwordly experience. If I sound corny, excuse me, but love paves the way for mushy, flower-filled statements.

I like love and I would rid myself of selfishness. Perhaps I could replace it with selflessness?[/color]

Wow, what a question. Well I sat and thought about this one for about 2 min, I thought about every possible emotion (I think fast) then I realized you get something important from every emotion, and I mean EVERY single last one.

But I could get rid of one I'd have to say embarrassment. I still think it's important but that's one I could do without. I HATE it.

I would get rid of greed. The person who has everything will always want more and would do just about anything to get more....more power, more money, more whatever....

When greed overpowers other emotions, it can destroy a person's mentality.

That's my view.

Guest Crimson Spider
Seems like people actually agree with me this time.

Well, the word "dislike" can be thrown around so many ways. Lets say that you don't like the taste of... raddishes. You don't hate the taste, you dislike the taste. There is a difference. My definition of hate:

[b]Hate:
Verb
Severly despise with a pashion.[/b]

That is what I mean when I said hate.

Now, everyone who said love makes you sad. Why not eliminate sadness? I mean, love has so many up-sides to it. I've been in love before. Sure, she moved away. But I wasn't sad. I felt nothing. Being sad over something that you cannot control is pointless.

[b]Do not confuse love with lust.[/b]

And eliminating emotion itself would be terrible! I mean, everything we do, and have done is because of our emotions. Going to this board to talk is to satisfy my boredum, and makes me glad. But without boredum and happyness, I wouldn't go here. Without love, or lust, or sadness, we wouldn't have a will to exist. We wouldn't have an urge to better ourselves. We wouldn't have relief, satisfaction, desire, or compassion. We would sit around and do basically nothing because we don't care anymore. Despite our hunger pangs, and pains and aches that may come from the many side effects, we wouldn't care. We would't be annoyed. We wouldn't even dislike the pain. It would just be there.

[size=1] One human emotion?

Well...words are only words. They cannot describe an actual feeling, an actual emotion.

I suppose it would be Apathy for me. That eats on me all day, chewing me, festering in me. It's a really empty feeling...but I love to feel it all the same.

Apathy I guess then.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by lea2385 [/i]
[B]no one mentioned depression....i honestly cant think of one single reason anyone needs depression...you certainly dont need it to know what happiness is.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] Depression is more of a melting pot of different emotions. I certainly wouldn't classify itself as one.

It's hard to say exactly what mix of emotions depression is, though. It doesn't matter really.[/size]

Guest Crimson Spider
Uh... pain is an emotion? I thought it was a sense?

You know, after you get hurt how you can react to it in three different ways?

[color=navy][i] I'm not directly sure if being hyper would be classified as an emotion...lets call it 'overly excited'.
Nothing good has ever come to me from being overly excited. I end up making a fool of myself, I can't think straight, and it generaly annoys people. I really can't see any positive use of it.
~Matto[/color][/i]

I, like many, would get rid of anger, either that or jealousy.

If it weren't for those two flaws, people wouldn't have a reason to fight, or cause confrontations. This is because they are what drive people to do horrible things.

But, if we did get rid of those emotions, we would no longer be human.

[size=1][color=darkblue]Then we'd all be pretty well off, now, wouldn't we?

So I'd erase love. It leads to nothing but pain.

The suffering far outweighs the benefits.

Whoever said "It is better to have loved and lost that to have never loved at all" has got to be the biggest idiot who ever lived.

If you've never loved before, you don't know what you're missing. And if you have, well, then you do.

And, as we all know, love leads only to insanity.[/size][/color]

Far too many people are saying to get rid of love- but I don't think they know what they're saying. As a Christian, my whole religion is based on the concept, and since God is love, and everything good comes from him, if you erase love, you erase God. If there is no God, there wouldn't be anything else.

Besides that, in the theoretical world where we could exist without love, we'd have no attatchment to anything, so we'd be emotionless, mindless zombies. Why should we eat? We no longer love ourselves, so there is no reason to take care of our bodies. Why should we live? We no longer love anyone, or anything, so there is nothing holding us to this earth.