OtakuBoards

Theater

The Original

I'm currently waiting to see if I made the list for my school's play, William Shakespear's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". I'm trying for Robin Goodfellow/Puck (he's an imp! Hahaha!), but since a girl I saw at the call-back was really fantastic, I expect I'll be cast as a lesser role, like one of the rude mechanicals. Whats even stranger is that I made it all the way to the call-back list. I'm a sophomore, and I'm not enrolled in my school's art mangnet. Practically all of my competition was two-to-three years older than me! Horray for luck! Lol. Anyway, I wanted to know if there was anyone here interested in Theater, how much you've done, what you've done, ect., ect. *exit Original* Lol.

[color=royalblue]OO OO! Pick me! Pick me! Oh pick me!

Anyways yes. I did alot of musical theater back "in the day." I was a man and a woman, coincidentally. In Fiddler on the Roof. I danced, sang, and was generally a filler. But in next year's play: "Joeseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" I had FOUR HUSBANDS! There was my first one, but he got relocated to another wife [we were precious commodities]. And then my second one was never there for practices, so I had the understudy husband. And then there was Pharoh. But everyone was married to him.

Anyways yeah. Those were the two major plays. I've also been in several Spirit Skits for school, competitions, and that sort of junk. It helped that I was in a really high end choir for awhile. But now I'm usually cast as a dancer of some sort. Which is fine, don't get me wrong, it saves time. But not costume changes.[/color]

Fiddler on the Roof? Damn. I don't think I could get myself to sing in front of people yet, but it'll probably be unavoidable in the future. Lol. Must've been easy for you, because you [U]must[/U] have a beautiful voice. Lol. Anyway, seems like you've been in a lot. I'm a little nervous, 'cause this is my first play. Any advice or tips?

[color=royalblue]Think happier thoughts. Don't focus on how awful you were, the only people who notice are the....um....ones that matter.

Scratch that. Anyways, just think about having a good time, it'll be over before you blink, and the party you'll have afterwards. And, as they always say, Break a leg![/color]

[color=deeppink]Yeeeeah, I loved doing musicals. I was a part of them for the dancing/performing on stage part because I just love doing that!

I was in a lot of musicals througout high school! Crazy For You, Singin' In The Rain, Grease, and my favorite was PIPPIN!!! Gotta love anything and everything Fosse-related ;)

I was also in countless Dance Art performances at our school, seeing how I took the class three times just for the hell of it...

I really enjoy being on stage, but I'd rather dance around as lead dancer than act. I'm not too good at acting ^_^[/color]

Hmm. I suppose I could post my thesbian resume:
-I got the male lead my Sophmore year in "Guys and Dolls"
-I got the male lead my Junior year in "The Music Man"
-I got the male lead my Senior year in "Once upon a Matress"
My school had a fall play, and spring musicals. Those are the musicals.
As for fall plays:
-Lead in hamlet
and
-Freshman year: baliff in "the night of january 16th). It was my first role ^_^

I'm not tooting my horn or anything, i guess i just like acting. I get a rush from standing up there and making the crowd laugh or cheer. I owe my voice to my mom, and singing all the time as I grew up. I guess it was my little niche. Well, that's all I've done. I've yet to take advantage of any theatre events at my college.

Ah, the stage. I love anything acting, especially theatre. A Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favourite plays to act out... I was cast as my two favourite roles a year ago, Bottom and Helena... Though I pretty much knew the entire play by heart. I expect it would be rather fun to play puck, you would have an exciting costume and a very free way of acting, as his character is so flexible. Good luck to you ^.^

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]Hmm. I suppose I could post my thesbian resume:
-I got the male lead my Sophmore year in "Guys and Dolls"
-I got the male lead my Junior year in "The Music Man"
-I got the male lead my Senior year in "Once upon a Matress"
My school had a fall play, and spring musicals. Those are the musicals.
As for fall plays:
-Lead in hamlet
and
-Freshman year: baliff in "the night of january 16th). It was my first role ^_^

I'm not tooting my horn or anything, i guess i just like acting. I get a rush from standing up there and making the crowd laugh or cheer. I owe my voice to my mom, and singing all the time as I grew up. I guess it was my little niche. Well, that's all I've done. I've yet to take advantage of any theatre events at my college. [/B][/QUOTE]

Once Upon A Mattress? Oh dear God. The show is so horrible...I suffered through it in high school. My least favorite show I've ever done. Absolutely dreadful musical. Fiddler, on the other hand, rocks. My first performance musical and still my favorite one.

Now, it's really late, so I'm not really thinking clearly enough to reply completely, but here goes.

Soph year H.S. - Fiddler
Junior year H.S. - Mattress.
Senior year H.S. - CanCan (<--much better than Mattress. I was able to have fun during CanCan)

Frosh year college - Arsenic and Old Lace, Christmas Carol
Soph year - A Trilogy of Horror: SCREAMPLAYS (One Act Festival)
And I'm pretty much done with performing in theatre right now. Burnt-out on it. I still do poster and playbill design though. Photoshop and Quark are wonderful things.

For the most part, I had fun doing theatre. It was a neat diversion and method acting is really great...becoming the character, thinking like the character, throwing aside yourself and transforming your being into that of one totally unknown to yourself. Quite fun stuff, dangerous, but fun.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]Once Upon A Mattress? Oh dear God. The show is so horrible...I suffered through it in high school. My least favorite show I've ever done.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh god, mine too. I hated playing a naive whiny little prince boy. It was very annoying. However, our drama director is not one where you would question the genius to her insanity. I played the part without complaint, more or less, and the show turned out pretty well. I wish I had been born a year earlier, then I would have been JUST in time for fiddler on a roof. Gah, and I've got such a strong bass voice!

You know, I've been planning to audition for the plays at my school, but I keep missing the auditions. Last spring, auditions were during the first day of school. I completely missed them. This semester, auditions were during my math class. I've [i]got[/i] to learn to schedule my classes better and get in the loop.

Anyway, back when I was in high school, I did a lot of backstage work for the plays. Then during my senior year, I auditioned for the musical [i]Little Shop of Horrors[/i] and got casted as Audrey II and a hobo. I also got to say the prologue.

Unfortunately, [i][b]NONE[/b][/i] of my friends went to go see me on any of the nights the show was open.
*bludgeons Rico with guilt*

Eh. I'll probably take another acting class or two and take on some of those local theatre groups I've heard about.

[size=1]I've done some productions, but nothing big. In English at the moment, we're doing A Midsummer Night's Dream. I play Helana in the Court Scene. Because it's for assessment, we swap characters and such.

I've done the musical You're a Good Man Charlie Brown, and some drama plays. I really like them -- although I'm not too crash hot. Some of my friends want me to go in the school musical next year, but I'd rather not. Too much work involved, in my opinion.[/size]

Lets see. I used to do a great deal of acting when I was younger, mostly christmas plays and such, such as A Christmas Carol and stuff. I really couldn't be bothered with the later productions such as Bugsy Malone and A Grand Day Out. It's mostly the drama students that get the main parts and things, even though most of them can't sing a note. I went to a really good performance of Macbeth by our drama class that rocked though.

[color=purple] Last year at school we did a play, it was called bound for brodaway, it was a bunch of kids at an audition talking about the musical weve seen or been in. I helped choreograph the Hard Knock Life scene i had the lead in Jellical Cats and i was a dancer in greased lightning. If you cannot tell, im a dancer :D [/color]

I've never been in any plays, but I would love to be in one or even a musical. We have auditions for our Spring Musical next month, I think. I'm thinking about auditioning. I kind of don't want to, though I don't know why. I guess it's because I'm afraid I'll get nervous trying out and mess up.

Well, I got to at least try. Wish me luck, heh. ^_^;;

[FONT=arial]
I've so badly [i]wanted[/i] to have an acting role in a play, but unfortunately haven't been cast before >.>'. I don't suck, so to speak, but I'm not exactly 'wow!' material either. I've written stuff about plans that Scam (our director) has for this year (the competition one-act play is gonna be awesome), but they're all written in my MyOtaku blog thingy, and I'd just be repeating myself. anyone who cares can go see what all's going on in it (I swear, it's not a scheme to get people to go!). but yes, do visit anyway. please.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]I'm not really into theater as much as I was when I was younger. I've done a couple musicals, like... It's Saterday for one, I did that in 5th grade. I had the lead girl speaking parts, I also had a solo.
Hahaha, in 2nd grade we did the play The Ugly Duckling... and guess who I was? The ugly duckling. Lol. But that was a big part for a second grader.
My sister is into theater, she has been in Meet Me In St. Louis, Frankenstein, The Tickle, and Frosty the Snowman. She has been in more though.
As I said I did alot when I was younger, but I haven't been in any recent plays/musicals.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Without me, you guys would have no plays at all. ^_^

That's right: I am the extra. That girl or woman who becomes your random townsperson, your non-labeled just ambling down the street. I make up the meat of the play you stars lay out the fram work for. Without me and my people, you would be a one or two person show in front of pretty props in pretty costumes.

Am I proud of my role? You better believe it. Let me give you a run down of the few roles I've been in:

Juror - Soph year HS - CanCan (remember, PT and I went to the same school)
Random Cellmate - Junior year HS - Man of La Mancha (holy crap, what a fun play that was. And our set was awesome! BTW, my first speaking role: I had 1 line! Weee!)
Aunt Lulu - Senior year HS - Footloose (FOOTLOOSE! Holy dear God, this was the best play I've ever been in...which isn't saying much, but anyway...not necessarily for the writing, but it was so much fun to put on and it was the best play we had done probably since Fiddler. Sold out crowd, standing room only on opening night and damn near that the rest of the run.)

And...that's it, so far. ^_^; I'm looking to continue for a little while in college, where I will probably be cast as more bit parts and continue to call myself "The Lowly Singing Chorus" -insert brandoise bow here- with pride.

Guest Skyechild91
I had to do a solo once. Let me tell ya, i was SCARD! But once you get on the stage and start to sing, you cant really pay attention to being scared, your just to busy. Its a lot easier to sing in front of a lot of peeps you dont know than a few you do.
Next sunday i have to do a duet w/ my mom at church. :( Im nevous!

I was a theatre performance major for 3 semesters. While I love to be on stage, the schooling is challenging. Even as a performance major, you learn EVERTHING about the physical staging, lights, sets, costumes, everything. I love backstage almost as much as on stage, but I changed majors because what does one do with a BFA in performance if you are a realist with not so much faith in your own talent?