OtakuBoards

internet safety

otakukev

My parents are paranoid when it comes to the internet. They think that everyone is a 60 year old fat man looking for small children to molest. They don't like me to IM anyone unless I've formally met them (which I do anyway) and would probably not like me participating in a forum. That's why I don't really tell them what I do. I'd probably get my privlages revoked.

My point is, what do you guys think of internet safety? I mean, I've met people online, I've talked to them, and they all seem like nice, respectable people. For instance, the people on this forum. I doubt if any of you are trying to find out where we live so you can kidnap us. Are my parents just being paranoid? I know that I shouldn't talk to people I know NOTHING about, like if a screen name I've never heard of suddenly pops up. But I think that talking to anyone from the forums is okay. It's not like I'm telling you every single detailed aspect of my life.

Mostly what I'm trying to say is that I have no problem with it, but my parents do. I guess they're just trying to protect me. I mean, there are people that live relatively close to me, like somewhere in San Diego. If we were to pass by there or visit someplace sometime, I might be able to meet some people. Of course, then I'd have to explain the whole "how do you know this person" thing to my 'rents, and they most likely wouldn't like it.

So, any thoughts?

My mom is kind of like that. She hates it when I talk to people I don't formaly know. Just like your parents. If she asks me what I am doing and I tell her I am talking to [insert name she doesn't know here] she gives me a speech about how it isn't safe. It gets really old. It really sucks because she knows I am resopsible. Other than that she is worried about internet saftey too much.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]Yeah, my mom always is on that side. I used to go to chat rooms... but then she found outand told me to stop and she gave me a long lecture about the people I talk to and BLAH BLAH BLAH! But parents just want to protect their kids... but they can be way to protective sometimes. I mean I'm not stupid. I enjoyed talking to the people in The Otaku chat room, because they were weird, interesting, and cool people. People I could relate to and stuff.
When my mom first heard about me and this forum.. she went into defensive mode and asked me all these questions. But she approved after awhile, but I think she still disapproves deep down. Heh, what can I say? Parents just want to protect their kids and make sure no weirdos are stalking them. Lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Yeah my parents are like that to. It's almost every other day they're in my case about what I'm doing all that time on the internet. I usually tell them i'm talking to KKC as I know her on the outside. They get really annoying sometimes. Although you have to think that chance (slim to none) that the person who your talking to is...well you know.

Yeah, it's true that parents can be overprotective in that regard. Also, kids tend to be a lot smarter than any parent gives them credit for. However, there are pedophiles and the like out there, and even though it's annoying, parents are just trying to do their job. I usually try to keep my online life and my "real" life as separate as possible. It makes things a little simpler, and probably safer.

~Dagger~

Their intentions are good, and you should submit to them.

However, I will not be this way with my children, and neither are my parents with me in any great degree. I may occasionally ask them who they're talking to, but not because I suspect that person of being a 45-year-old rapist.

Your parents love you very much, and you should hold onto that while it's there for you you to hold onto. Decide whether they're wrong or right later on.

-Justin

Dagger's got the point.

Well, parents can sometimes be over protective and it can get a little out of hand. However they do have a point. What with all these cases of kids running off with someone they met on the internet. The most recent case being that incident with the ex-Marine. I think it's okay to go into chat rooms and such as long as kids are aware that it is imperative that they don't give out personal details, such as telephone numbers and such. Seriously, I know that kids are more intelligent than some people give them credit for but a lot of them aren't.

It's a good way for adults with less than respectable intentions to take advantage of over angsty teenagers that just want someone to understand them. It's alright if it stays on the net and I think people are taking a risk if they go to meet someone they only know of the net by themselves.

[color=#707875]*kidnaps various children*

Ahem.

Anyway, I'm actually in a position where I "monitor" what my younger siblings do on the Internet. My parents know nothing about computers and they essentially entrust me with the task of "protecting" my siblings with this sort of thing.

Luckily I don't have much to worry about. My younger siblings aren't naive kids who know nothing about the evils of the Internet. They know what they're doing and they are aware of the dangers that lurk out there. And they've demonstrated to me that they can be very responsible.

However, I do still think it's important for parents to set some limits on their kids. The Internet can trick you, regardless of how old you are. And it can be a negative place for some kids.

So, you should respect your parents' wishes...even if they might be a little misinformed about certain aspects of the Internet. I think it's fair to say that many parents don't know a lot about computers and their absolute fear of the Internet might be a symptom of that. Those of us who know about the Internet know that there are dangers...but we also know that kids can still browse quite safely most of the time.

If you are concerned that your parents are too strict or something, you should sit them down...and browse the Internet with them beside you. Show them around and give them some education about it. You never know -- it might help.

But yeah, generally I think that kids should be obeying what their parents say. As Justin said, your parents love you and their intentions are to protect you. You should be thankful for it. ~_^[/color]

[FONT=arial]I'm pretty careful about what I say as to my whereabouts or my last name on the internet. the only time I've ever given out that type of information was to buy something from one of those official, secure-type sites, and even then my mom was with me because she wanted to make sure it wasn't some Geocitified page or something. on places like Yahoo where they require you to give a zip code, I just put in a fake one :cross:. closest I've gotten to mentioning where I live outside of that would be the state, but never the city or my last name (it's pretty uncommon here, heh). while I don't think anybody here would have any plausible reason for wanting to 'stalk'/etc. me, it's still a good idea to keep that kind of stuff on the down-low nonetheless. [/FONT]

Oh yeah, this thread was about overprotective parents... Well, I'm on this board with a few friends, and half of them are Real Life friends, the other half I don't know. So anyway, I told my parents I'd like to meet them some time, and even though they're not from the same country as I am, and they're at least 3 (THREE! :eek: ;) ) years older than me, they immediately said like, oh that's great, really, yeah, good idea, and if they need a place to sleep, they can always stay here!'

It's a bit weird, it's like they WANT me to be raped by Dirty Old Men From The Internet or something... Hm....

I know my parents are trying to protect me; that's why I do what they say. Before we got cable and had a dialup connection, my sibllings and I would have to ask if we could go on, so my parents would know that we were. Otherwise, they'd find out by noting that the phone isn't working, and...well, it wouldn't be pretty. In any case, when we finally got cable and the internet didn't tie up the phone line, they gave a little speech to all three of us. They told us that since they wouldn't always be able to know if we were on and such, that we would have to be careful and such. For instance, we should not go online when they are not home or something along those lines. So they basically layed down some rules that may hamper our online experience, but is a helluva lot safer.

So, yeah, I respect my parents' decisions. I'm just trying to find out other people's opinions on safety, or a parent trying to be protective. I'm actually very glad that they go to such lengths to make sure I'm safe:)

*reveals the fact that he is actually a 60-year-old perv*

Um.. Yeah.

Actually, my parents are rather lenient with these things.. (Did I spell lenient right? -_-) They trust me, plus I have proven to them that I am wise in the way of the internet and reveal my true form (A giant rabid level 50 serpent beast with a Mythril-covered back and twin daggers from Lothlorien) To those friends I have talked to for a decent while and I trust. Even then, I am discreet to revealing the city I live in. Heck, some of my closest OB buddies don't even know my true first name.

However, sometimes my father goes into extremist parent mode and says no anime, manga or internet for 2 days for no reason other than the fact that I may become "subject to violence." I respect his willingness to try and protect me, but why not give it a little bit of a logical pattern, eh dad? -_-

[color=002E55]I think parents are like that because they don't understand the internet. My aunty was worried that someone could get her home address by talking to my little cousins, but I assured her that's not going to happen.

So, I think most parents are just trying to 'protect' you because they think you don't understand how someone like a paedophile can be lurking on the internet, and they also think he/she has the means to track you down, lol.[/color]

[size=1] My parents of the first generation of Koreans in America, and while my father has adapted to computers and knows how to use them well, my mother has no idea what I'm doing. Parents are just trying to protect you from what they hear in the Media, so I can't blame them. If they love you-- they'll most likely bring up the topic at least once. [/size]

My mom freaks out when I get on. She doesn't like it when I talk on AIM or anything. Even if it's somebody from school, I'll try to tell her they're from school but she just ignores me and yells. Even if I don't physically know somebody I don't tell them where I live, my name (I've given 1 person), my thoughts, the things I like, and all that.

She says they can get in my mind and make me do things and that I give them enough information. I don't give them anything. I might say what I did that day or joke around a little but I won't tell them anything serious. I can't even get on half the time.

Guest Crimson Spider
I once did an internet safety sheet in school. People can still find you out from very medial things, as if you played in a game that day, or what score you got on a test.

Well, I really don't care. I mean, what? What's gonna happen?

In order for those things to happen, you pratically have to be looking for it.

Besides, even with the internet, how many accounts of the same thing happen with other things, such as TV, telephones, or notes in lockers?

So it is a case of scapegoating for the most part.

[size=1]*runs before he becomes discovered*[/size]

My mum doesn't want me giving out any information relating to our where-abouts, as if we're living here illegally or something. I'm not even supposed to post my name, going by her...

My dad couldn't care less. He's got his business around, and cares nothing more for anything else.

[size=1]I can understand why your parents are so paranoid. Almost all of the media about the internet is negative, and for someone who is computer-illiterate, that must freak them out. The internet [i]is[/i] daunting if you're inexperienced with it.

My parents aren't too bad. They used to be kind of strict, when I was 12, but they've relaxed now. I think they've seen that I know what I should and shouldn't do on the internet, so they trust me more.

I've talked to Monique (Duo Maxwell) over the phone a few times, and I 'introduced' my parents to her. They seem to like her a lot. It's kind of weird, lol ^_^[/size]

[size=1]My mum is like Harry's -- I go by basic rules 'Never meet someone.' And, really, I'm probably a lot more caustious than the rest of my family. Used to be, a lot of people didn't know my real name [even here -- I was Rae. I still am Rae, but you guys know my real name now.] and things like that. Now I've sort of relaxed.

It's like Ashy [Rain] said -- the Internet really only gets bad press. it's not as if they're going to have a headline of [i]"Girl Went On Internet And Didn't Get Attacked Or Stalked!"[/i]. [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rain [/i]
[B][size=1]I can understand why your parents are so paranoid. Almost all of the media about the internet is negative, and for someone who is computer-illiterate, that must freak them out. The internet [i]is[/i] daunting if you're inexperienced with it.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE] Not really. There are some very sick people in the internet and if they find out you live near them, you just don't know. It's never a real smart idea to just go around telling strangers your name, number, and adress anyway.

Guest Magdalena
I don't care about internet safety, really. I consider myself to be pretty safe, and the only person I've given my number to is a really close online friend. The other 3 found it via whitepages.com. *shrugs* whatever.

My dad knows I'm smart, I know I'm smart and will make good decisions, so I have no worries.