OtakuBoards

Teh Accentness!

Dragon Warrior

[FONT=arial]I've got a pretty bad Southern drawl. lol, the other day, I caught myself saying 'doge' (two-syllable word for dog). my friend David thought it was terribly funny. it comes and goes, but it comes more than goes nowadays. I'm tired of fighting it, lol. [/FONT]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good old Australian-ness. However, due to some warped reason, I have a slightly American accent. My dad lives elsewhere (he is American) and I see him for maybe 3 weeks in a year. But heaps of people ask me if I am English or American etc. I find it really odd, because I don't think I have an accent, and definitely not an American one o_0 weird. Conspiracy, obviously.

[COLOR=crimson] Personally i think accents can be a blessing and a bad thing at the same time. Im British, so when i moved to America people were constantly asking me to talk to them so they could go crazy over my accent. I really didn't see what was so great about it lol. But I've been in the US almost two years now and haven't heard a British accent aside from my familes..so when i recently heard a girl with a British accent talking online-I totally flipped..i was like "OMG!! thats so cool! wait..you have my accent! i really sound like [I][B]that?!![/I][/B] teehee ^_^

So yeah, to me accents can be a great thing..but can also become somewhat of an annoyance at times.[/color]

[color=indigo]Well, I apparently have some sort of accent. People occasionally ask me where I'm from, yet I was born and have lived my whole life (so far) in the same city. To me, I sound just like everyone else around here, even when I hear a recording of my voice. So, I dunno.[/color]

I have like a couple of accents. First is like some kind of like Californian accent. Like... yeah.

That's exaggerrated, but I really do say "like" quite a bit. In high school, I had a drama teacher from New York who kept making fun of the way we all spoke. He pointed out that we said "hella" a lot and the word "like" between every other word. He dared this one girl to say a sentence without saying "like" once. She lost the dare.

I moved from Da Hood to The Suburbs when I was around 12, so I tend to get a little Ebonic at times. It all blends really well. I could talk to somebody in da hood or the suburbs back-to-back, and not have to change my tone of voice so they won't stare at me. Gah, stereotypes.

I live with my grandparents (who grew up in Louisianna and Arkansas), and when I talk for a really long time, I notice that my accent goes completely South. I even start to say "yall."

Thanks to constantly watching shows like Red Dwarf and S Club 7, I can fake 3 different types of British accents. I can do the posh kind, a more working class kind, and that one accent where you don't pronounce D's or T's. I can almost pull of an Irish and Aussie accent, but they always drift right back into British, mid-sentence. I also have a nice little French/Puerto Rican combo that I use whenever I try to sound artsy.

[center]
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Well, I apparently have some sort of accent. People occasionally ask me where I'm from, yet I was born and have lived my whole life (so far) in the same city. To me, I sound just like everyone else around here, even when I hear a recording of my voice. So, I dunno.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Dessy has the thickest[cough]strangest[\cough] accent I've ever heard. Don't get touchy des, I ain't knockin' you or your voice, I just thought since the topic has arissen (s :-p) I should speak. Des's voice is well, kinda' british sounding. But at the same time distinctly des'ish.
Me, I'm an odd ball.
When I visit someone's I subconciesely (s :-p) take on all vocal characteristics. Speech tone and voice sound, not to mention inflections and common frases (s :-p). Who knows if my normal voice even exists, what if [i]its[/i] just a mimic of my families voices combined!?!
DO I EXIST???

[IMG]http://www.angelfire.com/alt/samgee/images/help.gif[/IMG][/center]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]Everyone has accents. Even people who have been in America and have totally American parents. I'm in Chicago. If I go to some other state, or even southern Illinois... people can tell. I apparently have a Chicago accent, even though I can't notice it at all.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkblue][size=1]I think we talked about this.

You had such a proper accent that I thought you must be younger than you claimed.

But then you said I had an accent, and I was surprised.

I'm still trying to figure out the "phone" thing. I'm saying it to myself right now.

Nope, it's not weird.

Now the way [i]you[/i] say it... now that's weird. It's twilight zone perfectly phonetic.

It's strange... of the people here than I've actually spoken to, none of them sounded anything like I thought, except for treton_noir (but he wasn't as goofy as on OB).[/size][/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkblue][size=1]It's strange... of the people here than I've actually spoken to, none of them sounded anything like I thought, except for treton_noir (but he wasn't as goofy as on OB).[/size][/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]So how bad is my Southern accent? You have commented on it on a few occassions. ^_^;[/color][/size]

[color=crimson]I have not the faintest idea as to what accent I have. People just comment that I talk "different".

Another, smaller few, say that it is definately a slight southern accent.

I do know, however, that I do that skipping of the e's thing. My name, to me, is 'Kin'. Basically that is how everyone around here talks, even without a profound accent.

Several people here have talked to me on the phone. Let them comment, because I truely cannot hear any sort of accent at all.[/color]

[color=blue]
Well, I used to, (still do?) have a Bay Area accent, but I moved out to Louisiana when I was 7 and after 11 years, I'm still here. Would my accent change in such a situation? I've compared my voice to everyone else out here, and I sound a lot different from them. But then again, no one ever notices my accent. Has it gone away? I would ask Braidless Baka what she thinks, but she's British so she might not be able to tell. Speaking of the British...as stated before, why is it that Americans like English accents so much? I was watching a TV show where an English woman was in America, and someone said, "Don't you just love the way they talk?"

:therock: England, forgive us.
[/color]

[size=1]I have a small Asian accent. Its almost unnoticable. I can't say Massechusetts very clearly. I tend to say Massive Two Sh__s. I tend to spoonerate(spoonerism) a lot. I don't know why though. My friends find it funny.

spoonerism: a transposition of usually initial sounds of two or more words (as in tons of soil for sons of toil).[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[color=hotpink][size=1]So how bad is my Southern accent? You have commented on it on a few occassions. ^_^;[/color][/size] [/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkblue][size=1]You sounded like (and no offense by this whatsoever) an innocent little girl just waiting to be corrupted.

You sneaky thing. You're bad inside... and you know it.[/size][/COLOR]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Your accent is perfectly American. It's like you memorize the pronunciations in the dictionary and practice them, like my mom does. You should be a dee-jay, or a news anchor.

PS: James -- An australian accent can never be regular or boring. It's sexy X's 12. That's why I love you so damn much. I can just imagine it now.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkblue][size=1]You sounded like (and no offense by this whatsoever) an innocent little girl just waiting to be corrupted.[/size][/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, that about sums up how I sound too! :blush:

Nah, but seriously, I'm not aware of my accent. Although I'm close to Philadelphia, it's thankfully not even remotely similar to South Filthy talk.

It's hard to distinguish exactly what a New Jersey accent sounds like since we're such a joke of a state. Practically speaking, it's probably similar to most northern states.

I remember there was an audio file posted of me in the poetry forum somewhere, so if people want to hear me, that's the route they want to take. It's a joke file, so it's not [i]exactly[/i] what I sound like, but a fairly good indication of my Godly "innocent girl" voice nevertheless.

I'm from Chicago, and all of us down here deny our accents, but I'm half Israeli and people tell me I have a slight accent.
But I love faking accents... I can do different areas of the UK, Russian... Pretty much anything. I had too much time on my hands as a kid, I think. Like Jim Carry, standing in front of the mirror making faces for hours at a time.

The only thing I can say about myself is that I shouldn't sound the way I do because of a few factors in my life. Also, the mother of a friend of mine once said to me, ?You have a very unique voice.?
However, I?m still not sure of what she meant by that though.

I don?t think I have an accent, but I know tons of people that do have accents that are Malaysian, French & Australian, Korean, Indian, Thai, French & Vietnamese, Russian, Nigerian, and Georgian.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Evil Pancakes [/i]
[B]I'm from Chicago, and all of us down here deny our accents, but I'm half Israeli and people tell me I have a slight accent.
But I love faking accents... I can do different areas of the UK, Russian... Pretty much anything. I had too much time on my hands as a kid, I think. Like Jim Carry, standing in front of the mirror making faces for hours at a time. [/B][/QUOTE]

Just curious, but can you really do almost any kind of accent? To be specific, can you do a Nigerian accent? I really like the way it sounds and I just want to know.