OtakuBoards

Teh Accentness!

Dragon Warrior

It seems that I don't know ANYONE with an accent. That disappoints me since I love accents. But everyone has an accent, I suppose. If you live in America or whatnot and have the ordinary voice that you hear everyone speaking, that's an accent. The american accent. You may sound goofy to those who have different accents.

I, myself, have a sort of british/australian accent. My mum thinks it's more of a slurred Chicago accent, but I dunno. I may of gotten it from acting. I was born in Arizona so it's a wonder.

What about you peeps? What accent do you have, hmm?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=royalblue]Well, it depends on how long I've been somewhere. I spent some time in Georgia with family friends, and after three days, I had a southern drawl. And then on the UK trip, I stayed with a family in Nuneaton.... as in Midlands. While spending time with their kids, I must say the Midlands accent came with absolutely no effort. Minor drawback is that nobody save English people could understand me.

And then because the group I stayed with after that were all from the deep south and Africa, I began speaking a Midlands accent with a southern drawl, and a touch of Afrikaans.

I think there's something wrong with me.[/color]

It's funny because you know everyone expects me to speak with a full Spanish accent and when I come out with this deep voiced American accent, they're disappointed lol.

One of my teachers (actually, he was a student teacher) asked me about my heritage and I told him my mom had a mixed European background and he pretty much said that's where my accent came from. He said he'd never heard an accent like mine before, which was kinda weird.

[color=#707875]I have a boring Australian accent. Mind you, it's not a country accent like Steve Irwin. lol

There are many types of accents here, but if you're foreign, you may not notice the difference. You'd have to live here for a while to hear the different nuances between capital cities and states.

My accent is more of a "city" accent, as opposed to a "country" accent. I think someone like Steve Irwin has more of a country/outback accent, while someone like Nicole Kidman has more of a city accent.

Although, Steve Irwin sounds very funny even over here...because his accent is so stereotypical, that people here think it's weird. It's very "put on". It's like if you get an American actor trying [i]really[/i] hard to be a Texan...and they might lay it on a bit thick, you know? ^_^[/color]

Everyone has accents. Even people who have been in America and have totally American parents. I'm in Chicago. If I go to some other state, or even southern Illinois... people can tell. I apparently have a Chicago accent, even though I can't notice it at all.

You're probably thinking more in terms of weird accents like Fez on That 70s Show or something though heh.

I don't have an accent as such... I have what's generally called 'Received Pronunciation'. Fairly boring, in other words. It used to be called The Queen's English, whereby everyone should set their standards by it. It's not one of these haugty posh English accents that seem to crop up in The Simpsons most often, heh. It's quite nice, just nothing too special.

hmm...well, mix a newyorkern accent with a new jersey one, a pennsylvanian one, plus the fact i was taught how to pronounce some languages as a kid (would that change anything?), i have a strange mix....no one really knows (personally, i dont think i have one, but, what do i know?)

[color=blue][font=arial]I have a Texan Accent, but it's subtle...at times. When I get around my friends, I sound like a complete hick, while when I'm around people I 'respect' I sound less hick, but it's still there.

Try having this accent while being up in Wisconsin...good grief[/color][/font]

i never knew i spoke with an accent until i hung out with my friend's brittish cousins who made me say "water" all the time while pointing and laughing! :blush: they told me i have that "flushing/brooklyn" strain of the new york accent... WHICH IS NOT A GOOD THING!! i was obssessing over it for weeks, recording my voice and trying to figure it out. anyway if u've ever seen the show "The Nanny" (i dont think it airs anymore) i think thats somewhat close to how i pronounce words except that my voice isnt quite that annoying (i hope i hope i hope!!) and itsnt quite as heavy as "Fran's".

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B] You're probably thinking more in terms of weird accents like Fez on That 70s Show or something though heh. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, no. I do mean all accents. Like I said in my first post, everyone has one whether you know it or not. And yet, Fez is the shiznit XD

I have a simple American accent, although I can willingly change it to several different things... from Aussie, to british, to southern, to Chinese, to middle eastern, Indian, etc etc. People at work call me Dana Carvey cause I have so many voices. lol.

ANyway, I know tons of people with accents... My ex used to be British, so I was living with that for a while. lol. I'm very used to a northern English accent.... but I've noticed alot of British accents, some of them, essepcially a londonish accent are harder for me to understand. I've also heard some rather strong and almost unbearable Australian accents... lol

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][size=1][color=#707875]My accent is more of a "city" accent, as opposed to a "country" accent. I think someone like Steve Irwin has more of a country/outback accent, while someone like Nicole Kidman has more of a city accent.[/color] [/B][/size][/QUOTE]

[tries to picture Nicole Kidman's voice coming from James's avatar :D]

Anyway, I don't really have an accent (pretty much ... well just a plain American one. I mean, really everybody has an accent, what is a "normal, non-accented" voice anyway? You could probably categorize my accent as New Jersey if you really wished ... too long of a parentheses?), but my dad has a very interesting one. It's sort of Chinese (we're Chinese), but also sort of British, and it only shows up if he's speaking to someone outside of his immediate family. It's just really, really odd.

On a random note, "The Nanny" is my (guy) friend's absolute favorite show, and he is forever watching its reruns on [i]Lifetime[/i] ... the television network for women.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I live in Georgia. Yes, I have a Southern accent. It's not as bad as some people (like my mother), but if you wasn't from the South, you'd DEFINITELY notice it. When I went out to Oregon for two weeks, people were constantly asking me where I was from and commenting on my accent. They loved it. And they loved to mock me, too. Oh well.

I didn't realize how much of an accent I had until then either. Now I catch myself sometimes and I'm like "That sounded WAY too Southern." Oh well. I actually adore my own accent. *Huggles it*[/color][/size]

Hm... Dude, I, like, so TOTALLY have an accent from the 90210 state, know what I'm sayin'?

Heh.. I don't talk like that [i]intentionally[/i] most of the time, however I DO tend to talk like a beach bum once in a while.. Which is weird 'cause I'm nowhere near the beach. But when I went to Pittsburgh not to long ago, I found myself coming back and saying:

"Ey, 'ju eet yet? No? Den let's go dahn-tahn an pick op sum chipped ham!"

Translation: "Hey, did you eat yet? No? Then let's go downtown and pick up some thinly slice pig meat."

However I have gotten that out of my system, and I'm now back to my regular Californian self.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by IwakuraLain [/i]
[B]i never knew i spoke with an accent until i hung out with my friend's brittish cousins who made me say "water" all the time while pointing and laughing! :blush: they told me i have that "flushing/brooklyn" strain of the new york accent... WHICH IS NOT A GOOD THING!! i was obssessing over it for weeks, recording my voice and trying to figure it out. anyway if u've ever seen the show "The Nanny" (i dont think it airs anymore) i think thats somewhat close to how i pronounce words except that my voice isnt quite that annoying (i hope i hope i hope!!) and itsnt quite as heavy as "Fran's". [/B][/QUOTE]
...They must have never been to New York.
Really though, saying "water" and stuff like that using more of a "d" sound than a "t" sound is NOT brooklyn accent. Not even close.
And for the record, anyone who associates Flushing and Brooklyn doesn't know NYC for beans.
As for me, I have a regular American accent. I've actually been asked once by an obnoxious girl at camp why I didn't have a Brooklyn accent since I'm from there. I can do an average one, but I don't have one at all, and I really hate it when people expect everyone in NYC to have that accent, because most of them actually don't.

[color=deeppink]I have a Midwest 'accent'; Meaning: the most neutral accent in all of the United States. People in Florida and California and elsewhere always can point out that I talk differently than them and say that [i]I[/i] have the accent. Psh, it's THEM who talk different :p

West Coast: "So, Bin, do you want some of this spaghitti? Jinna is coming over so maybe we should save some for her."

It's like they skip over the "e" in words, and, consequently, it sounds like they pronounce their 'e's as 'i's. It sounds really, really bad :shifty:...[/color]

[color=009966]I dunno...I don't really have a southern accent, and I don't talk like I'm southern either. I don't yank on the ends of my words like some people, and I don't say "ya'll" or "ain't." It just sounds so funny to my ears, just like how people here say "This don't work like the book said it would." Why people started replacing "doesn't" with "don't" is beyond me. =S

So, yeah. I guess I just have a normal and bland accent that can't be placed. But then again, I was born out west. Maybe that has something to do with it?[/color]

[b][size=1]
Manchester has too many accents alone >.>

When I went London, I got laid on heavy because of my accent, lol. But all the time I was there, it felt weird because everyone sounded so oddly similar that I couldn't recognise peoples' voices or something >_<

Silly London people. They say their 'u's like 'a's. [/b]

And people from Liverpool..
*doesn't go into Scouse*[/size]

[size=1]Mnph. I have what one would call the "hick" accent. However, it's quite refined. If you want to hear "true" hick, go out to some po-dunk little town in the middle of Oklahoma. Tulsa isn't for the hicks.

However, I've got a smidge of a Brit accent, because I watch way too much BBC America, but it only shows up when I'm really tired or really mad.

I've also got a southern accent from my mother. Since she lived most of her young childhood in Georgia, she picked up the accent, and I picked it up from her. However, I can keep it under control, so there'll only be brief spurts of southern belle. ^_^

But I really confuse people sometimes with all of my different little names and everything. I've picked up slang from so many different places, and they've just stayed with me, so people think that I'm from somewhere else even though I have an Oklahoman accent.

Whoo, go hicks! (I honestly don't mean that. The country is T3H 3B1L . . . ¬¬;;)

--Sere[/size]

[color=crimson]I live in southwest Virginia, so I kind of have an accent... The best way to describe it would be mild southern-ish sounding. It was a bit more noticable when I was younger though, and I used to use words like y'all and ain't casually.

I really like the way I sound.:)[/color]

Hm. . .I don't know what type of accent I have. I learned to speak Spanish and English at exactly the same time, they're both my mother tongues and I speak them and write them incredibly well. I had a spanish teacher (who was from Tenessee O_o??) and he was always amazed by the way I spoke. He said I had no accent what so ever in English, he found that amazing. Then I had a friend who told me that he could detect a bit of Spanish Flair when I spoke to him. In Spanish I have a very deep accent, (Nicaraguan). I live in Miami and other than the Cuban accent I rarely ever notice any oddities in the way ppl speak. Also, I've been to NY several times and I have never been asked about my accent which leads me to believe I have none or that it is so minimal it goes by unoticed.