OtakuBoards

Foreign languages

Adahn

I don't see any foreign language threads, and I don't think it goes against the rules. If it does, I'm sorry that I missed something, and I hope I'm not banned. However, I would like to start a thread in foreign languages to expand horizons on cultures, and maybe to even pick up a few words (no profanity please) I'm currently in my fifth year of Spanish, and since I seem to have a knack for that language, perhaps I might be able to teach what I know about that, and possibly learn ome words in other languages. I ask that if posts are in a foreign language, that they are followed by a translation to help comprehension, so please keep posts short. I don't have a whole lot of time, so I won't go into spanish right now :). I just think it would be a good opportunity to learn about other cultures and dialects.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#707875]Interesting thread. ~_^

I've studied four languages, but I've only done one for any significant length of time.

I did Mandarin, Japanse, French and Indonesian. I did Indonesian for three and a half years, Japanese for a year and French for half a year.

So yeah, I mostly remember Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia). Although you tend to forget a lot of it if you are not using it often. I'll give you a sample.[/color]

[color=red]Apa yang kamu kerjakan pada hari minggu?[/color]

[color=#707875]It means, "What did you do on the weekend?"[/color]

[color=red]Saya main papan roda dan main komputer.[/color]

[color=#707875]"I rode on my skateboard and played on the computer."

I hope that kicks things off a bit. ^_^;;[/color]

5?N?O?®?ç?¢A?ú?{?ê?Ì?×?_?ð?n?ß?Ü?µ?½B?n?ß?ɁA?½?¼?¼?Æ?Ð?¼?¼?Æ?ԍ??ðK?¢?Ü?µ?½B?½?¾¡?¿?å?Á?Æ?ú?{?ê?ð?b?¹?Ü?·B

???w1?N¶?Ì??A?t?????X?ê?ð?w?Ñ?Ü?µ?½B?t?????X?ê?ª?¾?Ó?¾?Á?½?¯?ǁAD?«?Å?Í?_?è?Ü?¹?ñB¡?S???Y?ê?Ü?µ?½B

I started studying Japanese about 5 years ago. I started by learning hiragana, katakana and numbers. Now I know significantly more but have yet to reach fluency (I was a little more humble in the Japanese heh).

When I was a 6th grader, I took a year of French. I got good grades in that class and could speak it pretty well, but I had no desire to continue learning it for another year. I've forgot it all now.

[color=blue][font=arial]Hmmmm....*digs out what he remembers from German*

OK, whereever there is an e next to a vowel (except e) thats supposed to be an umlaut (two dots over)...

Wie Spaet ist es (pronounced Vie Shpayt east es)
Translation: What time is it?

Es ist ______
Translation: It is _____

I'll try to remember what I learned, but it's been a year and a half since I worked on it regularly[/color][/font]

[font=arial]I'm taking my fourth year of German independently this year. (All my classmates have either graduated or dropped out./)

I really love languages and etymology and stuff, and I'm looking at doing a lot more of that in college, yay.

Some fun things:

[color=indigo]das Gift[/color] is a German word. Now, a lot of German and English words are very similiar, and it's easy to just think that a similiar word has a similiar meaning. Lots of times, that's right. But the German word [color=indigo]das Gift[/color] and the English word [i]gift[/i] aren't the same. In German, [color=indigo]Gift[/color] means [i]poison[/i]. I get a kick out of that.

Some other fun things:

[color=indigo]der Schmetterling[/color] is the word for [i]butterfly[/i]. I seriously love this word. ^_^ One of my favorite things to say is [color=indigo]meiner kleiner Schmetterling.[/color] ([i]My little butterfly.[/i]) It's such a great little phrase, heh.

[color=indigo]der gepunkter Papagei[/color] ( geh-punk-ter papa-guy) means, [i]the polka-dotted Parrot.[/i] This was my friend Christen's little phrase, heh. Just fun stuff, really.

[color=indigo]Wie geht's?[/color] (Vee gates?)
"How are you?" (Literally, "how goes it?")

[color=indigo]Ich bin gut, danke. Und du?[/color]
"I'm good, thanks. And you?"

Something else fun is the word [i]so-so[/i]. In German, it's [color=indigo]so la la[/color]. I can say it in a few other languages, too, and they're all fun repeating-type words...unfortunately, I don't know how to spell any of them, heh.[/font]

I took Spanish for two years and I know a bit but I'm not really that good at it. Which is ironic, considering I'm half-Mexican. I've had too much English beaten into me lol.

But, seriously, Spanish is a good language to learn for anyone who wants to be bilingual. It's not very tough; it's a hell of a lot easier than English to learn.

[size=1] Yes...the only two German words I know are [b]Zestorte[/b] and [b] Gutenburg[/b]. Amazing, no?!

I'm studying Spanish right now, and it's very easy for me. ^_^

[b][i]No me gusta tu.[/i][/b]

I also know how to speak Korean fluently because I'm Korean in the first place. I think it's sort of sad when someone who is a certain race [i.e. Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.] don't know their native language.[/size]

man, i HATE latin. i really have no passion for it. i took a bit of german in 4-7, and some japanese in k-2. it was host nations class. anyway,i plan on taking japanese next year and stuff. right now i now a little about the verbs.

i would say something in latin, but im sure id get the eding wrong.-.-;

"wo est der bonhoff?" -german, where is the bonhoff(it's a transporting station thingy.'

I know a bit of greek. (my dad is full greek)

Like:

Enna coca cola badcoulo

Which means: One coca cola please

Athodasto: Thanks
Badacoulo: Your welcome and please
neh: yeas
Ochhi: No
Fotia: Fire

And thats about it. Kinda pathetic, but i'm tryin'.

spanish for 2 weeks:

saludos = Greetings

¡Buenos días! = Good Morning

¡Buenas tardes! = Good afternoon

¡Buenas noches! = Good Evening
----------------------------
El Almuerzo = Lunch
Casual greetings:

¡Hola!
¡ Qué tal!

-----------------------------

¿ La Pregunta? = Question (from my notes and what teacher says... might not be true actual translation though)

¿Cómo te llamas?
¿Cómo se llama?
¿Cuál es (tu or su) nombre?

Replys to above questions:

Me llamo (name)
Soy (name)
mi nombre es (name)
----------------------------------------------

¿Hay preguntas? = are there any questions (as teacher simply put it)

De Memoria = memorized? or memory or something like it or...hmm she never told me!!!

------------------------------------------------
Notes i got from another student when i was absent:

cortes = curtious
Apuntes= notes
ejemplo= example
oye = listen (used alone)
oje = look out (used alone)
hay= there is/are
is/are there?

----------------------------------------------
Teacher gave us this just to torture us im sure... we have to say this to actually be able to go (and when she says yes she docks us 1 percent in grade...every time):

Señora Williams,

¿Me permite usar el baño, por favor?
--------------------------------------------------

Por favor= please
usar= to use (as teacher said)
el baño = the bathroom
Me= ? (i never caught it... to busy writing notes lol)
Permite= ? (i never caught it... to busy writing notes lol)

---------------------------

Days of the week:

lunes= monday
martes= tuesday
miércoles= wendsday
jueves= thursday
viernes= friday
sábados= saterday
domingo= sunday

---------------------------
A saying we have memorized for tomorrow's lovely oral test:

Cada día se aprende algo nuevo = each day something new is learned (as the teacher says)

---------------------------------------------

Vowel Pronunciation:

a (ah)
e (eh)
i (ee)
o (oh)
u (oo)

We have learned about 3 pages more of notes but im tired of putting in those little ALT codes... But this is just the simple stuff.... we have yet to get our text books

!dime uno!

old books and the teacher dont think we need them quite yet. So go figure. Oh well...

........hehhehe

I know some Spainsh...mainly because my mother knows it and wants me to take it.I really want to take Japanese though,but Spainsh come first.....I will not post my stupidly thought....
[strike]but I always do[/strike]

[spoiler]Ohkami knows some Japanese[/spoiler]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Leh [/i]
[B][size=1][b]I'm studying Spanish right now, and I'm falling in love with it.

[color=blue]Como estas?[/color][/b][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Whoa. It's obvious that your teacher better watch out. His/her job could be in jepordy with this vast knowledge you've already accumulated.

I'm not any better, though. I took multiple Spanish classes and I could never speak it well. I've also taken German and French. For some reason, I could never develop an interest in them. If I had to guess, I would say it's because the class sizes were too large and the courses were more of a large game than intellectually stimulating.

Here are some clarifications, Blanko.

de memoria = from memory (memorizado = memorized)
preguntas = questions (comes from the verb "preguntar")
me permite = you permit me (from the verb "permitir", you use "permite" instead of "permites" because the formal conjugation is used for teachers)

If you ever have questions, I'm glad to help out. :)

Well I've taken 3 years of Japanese, in high school.
I learned quite alot, but mostly just simple stuff such as greetings, direction, and simple sentences.

I also know hiragana, katana, and some kanji.

But now that I'm out of high school, I find it a bit hard to construct sentences, and remembering all the kanji. Guess I need to start reviewing.:D

Well I guess I could give you a few examples of what I remember. Sorry if I don't get the romanji right.

Ohayoo - Good Morning

Konichi wa - Good Afternoon

Konban wa - Good Evening

Ja ne/ Ja matta - See you later

Sayonara - Goodbye

Boku - I (male)

Watashi - I (female)

Boku/Watashi no namae wa..... - My name is.....

Omedetoo - Congradulations

There I think that's enough.

:toothy:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Charles [/i]
[B]Whoa. It's obvious that your teacher better watch out. His/her job could be in jepordy with this vast knowledge you've already accumulated.

I'm not any better, though. I took multiple Spanish classes and I could never speak it well. I've also taken German and French. For some reason, I could never develop an interest in them. If I had to guess, I would say it's because the class sizes were too large and the courses were more of a large game than intellectually stimulating. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][b]I know alot of Spanish, and that's not all I know. :cross: [/b][/size]

Well, i know Spanish very fluently seeing as it was my first language. . .I also know how to say I will kill you in various different and assorted dialects, why I know, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure one day it'll come in handy though.

Arabic; Ana h'aktelak
Bangali; Ami toma ke mere felbo
Cantonese (Chinese dialect); Wah dah nay say
Chiew chow (Chinese dialect); Wah mweh luh see
Filipino; Papatayin kita
French; Je te tuerai
German; Ich werde dich töten!
Gaeilge; Maraoidh mé thú [Ma-ro-ig may too]
Japanese; Omae o korosu
Korean; Na nuh-leul jook il guh yah
Mandarin (Chinese dialect); Wah sah say nee
Spanish; Te Mataré [Tay Ma-ta-ray]
Swedish; Jag kommer att avliva dig
Vietnamese; Toi viet may

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]I took Spanish for two years and I know a bit but I'm not really that good at it. Which is ironic, considering I'm half-Mexican... [/B][/QUOTE]

i thought i was the only half spanish moron who couldnt even speak what he hears all the time. i took two years..passed one an failed the other. i can get by with basic crap but not the more complex stuff. i understand it more than i can speak it. speed of the other persons dialect(sp?) doesnt seem to bother me either. i guess thats because i used to live in a predominantly spanish town of every kind of spanish backgound. didnt help me in school though.

i wish i could have taken japansese. i only know a few basic words. sucks cause me an a bunch of freinds are makin plans to go there in a year. oh well...