OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

Desbreko

[color=indigo]Hey, I've been thinking about the Zelda: A Link to the Past remake that's coming out for the GBA in in December (in the US)... Specifically, I've been thinking about the new multi-player mode that they're adding... To me, it looks like it could be fun, getting to go through dungeons with your friends and having to work together to solve puzzles and whatnot, but at the same time fighting each other to get the most Rupees.

Now, I think that they could make this fun, but at the same time, they could make it pretty crappy, also. I think it mainly depends on how the dungeons are set up. If it's mainly just enemies, and a race to kill the most enemies (so you can get the most Rupees), then I think it would get boring pretty quickly. But, at the same time, I don't think it'd be much fun if you're just mainly working together to solve the puzzles and stuff like that. I think that in order for them to pull this off, they're going to have to balance it out, while at the same time having big, winding dungeons to explore together, and then have a big boss at the end that would require more than one person to beat.

I was just wondering, what do other people think about this new multi-player mode that's going to be added? Like I said, I think it could be either good or bad depending on how they do it, and I'm hoping it'll turn out good.

If you want info on this game, go [url=http://www.nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=1280&showMe=1]here[/url].[/color]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a lot of fun to play multi-player on Zelda. But I wouldn't perfer to playing multi-player on the GBA, maybe on the Gamecube someday. To me, I think it might get a little crowded if you were playing with four people.

Imagine if the second player can play as Navi in Zelda 64 or Tatl in MM, lol.

Multiplayer in Zelda has never been done before, so this is definently a risk. Of what I've seen, it looks like it's shaping up nicely. The dungeons are varied, there are many tasks to perform. You are against each other, but sometimes you have to set your differences aside to help solve puzzles and access new areas. But in places that have tons of rupess and when your surrounded by Stalfos, your on your own! I'm not sure how big the multiplayer thing will be. It's not going to be a huge quest like LttP. Maybe a dungeon or two. Maybe the farther you get in LttP, the more dungeons and stuff you get in multiplayer. Anyways it looks like it will be really good

[color=indigo]I don't see the multi-player mode as much of a risk, since the A Link to the Past remake is the main part of the game. Heck, that's going to be the main reason I buy the game. I think they just wanted to try something new, and if it works great. If it flops, it's not going to hurt them much, since you still have the greatest Zelda game ever, in my oppinion, right there in the same cartridge.

And yeah, I also thought that maybe more areas will open up, the farther you get in A Link to the Past. If they do it that way, all of the areas are gonna open up quick on my game. :smirk: Hopefully, they'll have at least eight dungeons to explore, though. Or maybe they could make it so each time you beat a dungeon in A Link to the Past, a new one in the multi-player opens up, so you could get a total of 11 dungeons! That'd be really cool!

Oh, and there is going to be a sort of multi-player mode on the GCN Zelda game, which uses the GCN - GBA Link Cable. The person using the GBA controls Tingle, and can drop bombs into the GCN game. On the GBA screen, you see a kind of map of the area that Link is in on the GCN game. The bombs will also hurt Link, in addition to the monsters, though, so I guess the second player has to be careful where he/she is placing the bombs. It sounds interesting, though I have to say the person playing the GCN game could end up getting really pissed at the person playing the GBA, lol.[/color]

Desbreko hunny your right. I do hope that there will be more dungeons, on the multi player I also hope that it isnt all race to get the most rupees cause then i d get bored. i also bet that when they send the first ship ment of this game I bet that it will be sold out in no time.

[color=indigo]I agree that they'll sell out quickly (I'm gonna reserve my copy as soon as I can), though I doubt they'll be more than the normal $30 that most first party GBA are. Heck, they're selling the GBA itself for $10 less than the MSRP. Who knows, though, maybe they will jack up the price. I know I'd pay whatever they charge, if I have the money. :toothy: (Hopefully they don't also know that, lol).

Now, I just need to badger my friends into also getting it, so I'll be able to play the multi-player mode. :shifty:[/color]

[color=royalblue]Well, the multi-player feature should add a lot of lastability to this game.

The dungeons are specifically designed for mulitple players (an example would be where each person has to stand on a button to make a drawbridge extend over a gap; and then the players have to get over the bridge as quickly as possible, to find treasure on the other side).

The demo at E3 floored many people -- it was very popular. And I'm certain that this will be a very valuable addition to the game -- much moreso than the SMB multi-player additions to Super Mario Advance, for example.[/color]

[color=indigo]Yes, the multi-player mode in the Zelda: A Link to the Past remake will definitely add more than the Mario Bros. multi-player mode in the Super Mario Advance games. Mario Bros. is quite old, while this new multi-player Zelda is brand new, afterall. :) While I'll still be buying it for the A Link to the Past remake for the most part, the multi-player definitely makes me all the more eager to get it.[/color]

[color=indigo]Don't worry, they're used to it... Heheheh... :toothy:

Yeah, I can see people standing out in the cold for this game... But see, we're smart, we get there early and reserve copies. That way we can mock the people that are standing in line as we waltz right in the door when the store opens and pick up our copy. :naughty: Of course, some kids may just ask for it for Christmas, since it's being released on December 9. So, we may not get the huge lines, like we normally would... Actually, we might see parents standing in line for it, then... That'd be even more fun![/color]

I have seen that, half crazed parents trying to get a toy. It was like that for beanie babys. I had to do it for my friend. Omg, they were nuts, grabbing soem then trying to sell them for like fifty bucks more. *shudders* man I was scared stiff. You should do it my hunny. It will scare you. But thank god for the list. it helps a lot. oh, when is it open for signing up?

[color=indigo]I don't know when stores will start taking pre-orders, but I'm going to be checking pretty often as the release date gets closer. So, I'll post it when I find out. I don't want to fight the crowds. I hate large groups of people.[/color]

....I love crowds.....

*smiles inwardly as he imagines elbows flailing and broken noses. Releasing a wave of unbecknowst carbondioxide from lungs as he exhales the remnants of his petit harmonic endevour with public violence.* ...Sowwie.. i mean..fighting in crows is fun... makes the game feel all that much better in your clenches knowin u faught off four hundred fat tubs/toothpicks/pychos/and angred janitor gamer crack heads to get your paws on the game.

just that feeling of gratification... heh sorry

I could only think that multiplayer in the new zelda game would work the same way as it did in Jet force Gemini, where a second player could play as a little flying robot that hovers around the first player's head. The concept was great when you first use it but it gets dull when you're choices of action are reduced to just shooting. Maybe the bugs wil be worked out and a co-operative character will have a wider range of actions and movement. We can only hope...

• 4 months later...
[color=indigo]Right, so Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords is out in the US now, and it's driving me crazy because I'm not going to be able to get it until Christmas. (Well, if I'm going to spend more than $2 on each Christmas present, that is, heh).

But anyway, I was wondering if any of you have gotten to play Four Swords much. If so, what's it like? Is it good? How balanced are the cooperating and competing parts? Opinions on the game and info on what it's like would be very nice. (Just remember to use the [spoiler] tag for things about the story and how to beat bosses and such). Even if I can't play it yet, I'd still like to hear about it. :)[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Yes, the multi-player mode in the Zelda: A Link to the Past remake will definitely add more than the Mario Bros. multi-player mode in the Super Mario Advance games. Mario Bros. is quite old, while this new multi-player Zelda is brand new, afterall. :) While I'll still be buying it for the A Link to the Past remake for the most part, the multi-player definitely makes me all the more eager to get it.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=crimson]I'll be getting it mostly for the LttP remake a)because I haven't got the original and b)because I want to get a little futher than the Hyrule Castle.. lol.

But I may also get it because of Four Swords mode, I mean, 2 of my friends have a GBA and like Zelda too, so they may get it. I'm gonna [i]make[/i] them.

Next problem.. I need a GBA. :p[/size][/color]