OtakuBoards

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

morpheus13

i have been getting mixed reviews about this movie so i was wondering if it's any good. also is it anything like hellsing in terms of better or worse.

i'm not sure which one i'm talking about but if you have comcast digital cable they have been advertising it on encore action channel 152 (might be different in other places) as coming out on november first. hopfully this information will get me a review as to weather or not it is good enough to watch

Personally, I thought the new movie was great! The artwork was absolutely beautiful, and the plot was intresting, if a bit cliche'd. Even if the movie had had absolutely no substance whatsoever, I still would have watched it just for the eye-candy...^-^ As for whether or not it's better than Hellsing, I can't say, I've never seen Hellsing. But I definatly recommend at least renting the movie, just to check it out.

[COLOR=blue]
Well I must say that VHD was just great. Both of them actually kicked butt. Vampire Hunter D and VHD bloodlust. I recommend people watching them both as the are extermely well drawn. The story line though is a bit boring at times but I think that is well worht the watch...as for Hellsing I'll be watching my first episode tonight so I'll come back and edit this with my opinion.!!![/COLOR]

Depends on which you're referring to.

The original is a decent anime film, but it's also very antiquated. There isn't much more to it than "Those things are moving so I have to kill them." Because of that it is enjoyable. The dub is rather average at best and the animation is dated, but still decent.

Bloodlust on the other hand is incredible. I can't think of anything to dislike about that movie. Even my girlfriend, who makes fun of me for most of my anime interests, enjoyed the movie... that's saying a lot.

It was originally made in English, so there's no worries over dubs or anything else. While not amazingly good, the voice acting is more than sufficient. Animation is amazing, good characters, decent amount of bad guys (they are all a bit more developed than in the original, which is nice)... just an all around great movie.

Pick that up, get the first only if you're really into Bloodlust... I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got around to watching this film (I rented the DVD from Blockbuster--nice and cheap).

I usually try to avoid anime that seems overhyped. I still haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell. The main reason that I broke my own rule for VHD was the fact that it's partially based on vampire mythology. So I figured even if it failed to meet my expectations, it would probably be campy enough for a good laugh.

Well, Bloodlust took all my preconceptions and completely shattered them. I was totally amazed--at the level of animation, at the rich character designs (done by Amano), even at the (mostly) solid and believable voice acting.

It's a dark, stylish flick, and characterization tends to take a back seat to action. However, it has its moments of profundity, and I quite satisfied with the movie's depth. Bloodlust simply did [i]everything[/i] right. If I were to find fault with anything, it would be with the script--certain parts were rather wooden, but the lovely English actors and actresses more than made up for that.

In my opinion, Bloodlust is one of the best anime films out there. Unlike the Cowboy Bebop movie, which had a tendency to drag, it was perfectly paced.

The thing that most impressed me was how the director developed D's character through other people, in a manner of speaking. D is usually expressionless, and rarely shows any kind of emotion. But his very lack of emotion and his mimimalistic reactions to the provocation of others served to show his motivations far more powerfully than if he had simply stated them himself.

I believe I saw another Bloodlust thread sometime in the past month or so. There wasn't one on the first page, so I thought it was safe to create this. My apologies if it causes any inconvenience.

~Dagger~

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]Hee hee. This is a thread that I figured would have been made yesterday.

I agree with everything you said, and lets not forget that this just feels like the ultimate Halloween anime.

I should go watch it now, speaking of which....

--Chris[/color][/size][/font]

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust... Hmmmm I know whatever I say there will be alot left to say... The anime is very nice and cool in everything, some may think I am just saying because I am an anime fan but even if you are not an anime fan I am sure there will be some who gonna enjoy this great work... As for the story, well the story is very deep and cool, not that deep as some of you think but it's amazing and intresting and I am sure many people likes this story... As for the characters I don't think we can see another main cool character like D in another anime, maybe there are some but D is one of my favorites, wait maybe he is my favorite main character! Also not to forget the villain Meier Link, he was a damn cool character, generally the characters are very good... As for the animations, we all heard alot about D's great animations, the animation team deserves the full credits I really appreciate their excellent work on the animations and the 3D... As for the musics well also same goes for the musics and sounds, it's pretty cool and accepted for a dar and vampire anime just like this one... Well I am sure everybody will like that anime, not only Vampire Hunter's fan, but also others gonna like it as well, everything is cool with that anime... If you are thinking what you should watch I suggest you to watch this anime, and you are not going to lose anything... But if you like the childlish's animes then you might not be intrested in this one... Well in my opinion this anime is really the best vampire anime I've ever seen in my life... Well maybe there are some people who don't like this anime so what I wrote is just a personal opinion about the great movie... Anyway that's what I wanted to say about the anime...

[quote]But if you like the childlish's animes then you might not be intrested in this one...[/quote] Darn, well that explains that.

In comparison with other vampire anime movies, this one takes the cake (memories of Blood *shudders*). However, as a stand-alone product, the artwork - not the animation - was a huge turn-off for me. Everything's all so funky... The animation was great, but what it was animating left a lot to be desired.

The story style certainly had its perks. D is a very active character in terms of action, but socially, he's completely passive. And so, any kind of social interaction is created by action. It's an interesting duality that's been setup. At first, D appears to be the sour, bitter-dough and "work comes first" kind of mercenary, but, as his character indirectly develops, you realize he is just so much more. Not [B]that[/B] much more, but enough that you know there's a chocolate center, possibly with some almonds mixed in.

I so need to eat...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AzureWolf [/i]
[B]However, as a stand-alone product, the artwork - not the animation - was a huge turn-off for me. Everything's all so funky... The animation was great, but what it was animating left a lot to be desired.[/B][/QUOTE]

Heh.... I had to read that last sentence several times before I finally understood what you were saying. I [i]really[/i] need to get more sleep.

The character designs were totally different from anything I've ever seen before, possibly because the animators stuck so closely to Amano's original sketches. Whether or not you like his style is basically a matter of your personal aesthetic preferences. The characters' noses and eyes in particular deviated greatly from the anime norm.

Now, that isn't exactly a bad thing. I admire innovation, although it sometimes meets with disastrous results (as with Reign: The Conqueror). And although the artwork was, at first, a little bit disorienting, I really came to enjoy and appreciate it.

~Dagger~

I borrowed Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust from a friend and watched it. It was awesome! I totally love D, but Meier's gotta be my fav. ^_^ he's the coolest! Anyway, it has all the qualifications that a good anime should have, a good plot, lotsa action, just enough humor, and a good romance story. ^_^

Anyway, this may be a stupid question, but at the end, did Charlotte die or did she just pass out? I think she's dead, but I'm not totally sure. I hope not! Someone please help me out!

[spoiler]Charlotte died. I [i]wish[/i] that she had just passed out.... but no, she's dead as a doornail. I like to think that Meier might find some way to revive her, and perhaps make her immortal while he's at it. The love story was already very bittersweet, even when she was actually alive.[/spoiler]

Meier is indeed a very cool character. And I have my own question: is the black thing on his back (you know, the stuff that can cut through solid rock) a pair of wings, or merely a very powerful cloak?

~Dagger~

• 4 months later...
Guest Acrocanis
:D Vampire Hunter D is the granddaddy of all movies! I can't wait until the books are translated! The old one, I've been told, needs to be seen in Japanese b/c the dubbing is not very good. The second one is AWESOME! And D is nothing like Hellsing. (does this answer your question?)

• 3 months later...
Guest thechibione
Ok, I just got Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I think it's really cool, but I wanna know what everyone else thinks. The reason is: I wanna make a website themed on VHD. Please let me know!

I'm a pretty big fan of Bloodlust. I haven't seen it in probably over a year, though. I just remember the weird, dark feeling to it. Which is something I like a lot. I'd like to see more VHD movies, but whatever. I've actually been meaning to go out and by Bloodlust recently.

-Justin

• 1 month later...
This was a really great movie with love,death,vampires(of course!! it's in the name!!),and a little bit of comedy. What I'm here to ask about is this: Is there a Vampire Hunter D series and are there any other movies? Those of you who can't answer my questions can just talk about Vampire Hunter D (all aspects, which means any mercandise, series, any other movies, and so on). have fun!

• 1 year later...
I dled the movie Bloodlust, thinking it would be similar to Hellsing the anime. Hahah...how wrong I was. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is an well-thought out movie with gorgeous and rich artwork. The character detail is laudable. The plot, although simple at first comes with an unexpected twist, more than satisfactory. Character development is one of the shortcomings of the movie. Especially focusing on Leila and D. Leila's background info is divulged in one short scene. Her past is blatantly revealed creates a torrent of info for the audience to digest. Not the greatest approach. D is not developed as well in that little can be shown through his actions and even less from his speech...he doesn't talk a lot. Maybe 10 lines out of the entire movie, all of which are short sentences. Additionally, his beauty and sexuality is suppressed. I'm not saying this becase I'm infautated with him, truth be told I am not. in the novel as well as the cover, he is portrayed as a tall, dark, handsome, courageous, galannt, dark knight whom saves the day and that is not entirely expressed in the movie which is disappointing. He might be the Gothic hero but that should be left for another time to discuss. Perhaps I should start threat.

Overall, I reccommend the movie. It's beautiful, even if it is a horro film. :animesmil

I will have to agree with the majority here, it is and amazing film and definitly worth the buy because you'll want to see it over and over again. I'm a fan of the series an have recently started collecting the novel series (which now stands at 17 novels)

As such all I can say is I might be showing favoritism because I just love the whole character that D is. He is deeper and much more identifiable then any other anime character I've ever seen. I have to go with Dagger on what she said on him. The animation of the first movie was good and the voice work was adequate. But this secone one almost floored me. The artwork was beautiful (at least I thought so) and the animation was solid. The plot developed at the perfect pace, you never felt like it was being rushed and they never seemed to drag.

It wasn't just a mindless hack and slash, but it had lots of great combat scenes. The ending imparticular moved me in a way I can't really explain. I gotta give the thumbs up here.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I've never heard of it until one of my good friends, Lone_Link, let me borrow his DVD version. Needless to say, I'm not that interested in vampire animes, but that VHD movie was completely awesome. The animation was awesome, the plot was nice and the characters were great. The ending made me cry because the couple could finally be together and have peace.

I totally loved D and his talking hand... he was so funny! And needless to say, D was the most coolest character in that movie... duh. T3T And he was cute, too. o^u^o[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I love Bloodlust, it correlates with the first Vampire Hunter D movie, it adds to where D left, like in the first one he killed Count Magnus Lee, on this one he is again after a bounty but this time the part that surprised me was that the girl was actually in love with the vampire , lol. Its an amazing movie, great battle scenes, amazing plot.

I would reccommend Bloodlust to anyone, even to those who haven't seen the original movie. The animation is spectacular, as is the way everything is executed. Besides, D is one of those rare characters who manages to win people over in spite of his relative silence and lack of expression. He is the perfect protagonist for this tale, and all of the stories he stars in, simply because of that.

It is a stunning movie. Do watch it. Now. Run, don't walk, to the nearest video rental place and check it out. You'll love it, trust me on that one.

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=Red][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was [B][I]one[/I][/B] of the best anime movies I have ever seen. The story line and graphics were amazing. There are a lot of anime movies where the plot skips around and one may get lost if they are not paying close attention...this is not one of those. While the story line may run smoothly, It isn't one where you can guess what happens next. All the way through it will keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for more. ;) I just love the twists. ^_^ So, yes, I would suggest you watch this movie. ...and on another note(if you haven't already) read the graphic novels. They are just as awesome. [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR] :D

• 2 weeks later...
i like hellsing myself, but vampire hunter D bloodlust is one of the most impressive peices of anime i've ever seen, i was dissapointed that it was only an hour and a half long. i started reading the book series before i wabtched it, and the first novel was so amazeing i just mnade the the misatke of watching the original Vampire hunter D. yuck......Bloodlust is infinately better. it's breathetakeing.